Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 10-28-2019, 09:13 PM   #16
RhD97
Connoisseur
RhD97 began at the beginning.

Device: Kinde 8th generation
Well, so far it seems the issue is fixed. Lets see how it goes. Thanks for all the answers!
RhD97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2019, 09:16 PM   #17
RhD97
Connoisseur
RhD97 began at the beginning.

Device: Kinde 8th generation
I'll test it for a few days
RhD97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-31-2019, 09:13 AM   #18
studynet
Enthusiast
studynet began at the beginning.

Device: kindle 10th
I just received the new kindle.
But I have certain doubts about the battery consumption.
How much is the consumption that is normal per day?
It bothers me that I use to read pdfs or books and the reader is suspended alone and this makes me consume more.
Because every 10 minutes or so the screen moves and I use my reader to study.
Any help to increase this suspension time?
studynet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2019, 12:44 PM   #19
BookCat
C L J
BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony e-reader 505, Kindle PW2, Kindle PW3, Kobo Libra2
studynet, I'm not sure what you mean by 'suspended'. Do you mean that it's restarting, or won't turn pages, or just that you're not doing anything to it?

A few general suggestions.
Do a random letter search, something like dfgh and see if there are any results in All Texts. This will tell you if the kindle is indexing.
Are you using it at a high brightness setting? I noticed that anything above 11 will deplete the battery quickly.
Do you keep the wifi switched on while reading? This runs down the battery. Put the reader into aeroplane mode until you need the wifi for something like downloading a book or using wikipedia. (I have mine in aeroplane mode all the time because I don't have wifi - I transfer books via usb, which is great because I first put the blurb at the beginning using Calibre.)

Hope this casts some light.
BookCat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2019, 02:43 PM   #20
studynet
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by BookCat View Post
studynet, I'm not sure what you mean by 'suspended'. Do you mean that it's restarting, or won't turn pages, or just that you're not doing anything to it?

A few general suggestions.
Do a random letter search, something like dfgh and see if there are any results in All Texts. This will tell you if the kindle is indexing.
Are you using it at a high brightness setting? I noticed that anything above 11 will deplete the battery quickly.
Do you keep the wifi switched on while reading? This runs down the battery. Put the reader into aeroplane mode until you need the wifi for something like downloading a book or using wikipedia. (I have mine in aeroplane mode all the time because I don't have wifi - I transfer books via usb, which is great because I first put the blurb at the beginning using Calibre.)

Hope this casts some light.
Sorry for my bad translation I don't know English.
If the search worked correctly.
And I always had the kindle in airplane mode and without brightness.
With this use, I only turn the percentage of the battery on and off twice a day because the kindle is only suspended.
It seems as if in the background still doing something that consumes.

It is true that I am using scanned pdf books, but if I do not have them open, it still consumes me? this is rare.

I called amazon and apparently they can access the book reader and see some parameter they verified something and they confirmed that there is something wrong, I don't know if this is true or not good.
I have already received the new one and I have a question.
The new kindle comes with version 5.10.3 the firmware was downloaded only and I removed it from the kindle but I just realized that the only one has been updated I don't know how this is possible I am hallucinating.
I do not mind having an official update but if there are some options that bother me that kindle does not allow me, it is that only kindle be suspended causing me to consume more battery.
What advice can you give me?
Is the jalibreak worth doing? It seems to me that with jalibreak can I read epub books? And regarding the guarantee do I lose it?
Currently the latest firmware is 5.11 will continue to be updated and in the future can jalibreak be made?
Advert
Old 11-02-2019, 06:17 AM   #21
BookCat
C L J
BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

No. Don't jailbreak. Don't do anything else to your Kindle.

It's hard to understand what you mean. Why did you remove the firmware?

If the kindle is now working, leave it alone.
If it still isn't working, contact Amazon again.

To read epubs on your kindle you must download a program called Calibre onto your computer.
There is a special Calibre part of mobileread. Get more information about converting epubs to read on a kindle in the Calibre part of mobileread.

To get your kindle working, contact Amazon. They will be able to ask you what you mean.

I'm still not sure what you mean by 'suspended'.
Old 11-02-2019, 04:22 PM   #22
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
I'm still not sure what you mean by 'suspended'.
Suspended means sleep mode.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2019, 05:01 PM   #23
studynet
Enthusiast

Yes excuse me is google translation.
My Kindle when it enters sleep mode seems to consume a certain% of battery.
But Amazon will change me.
They have already changed me but the one they sent me has a bad memory because the cable transfer speed is slow.
Apparently the Amazon technical service can access the kindle and test to see the performance and now they send me another one.
Old 11-03-2019, 07:43 AM   #24
BookCat
C L J

So Amazon are sending you a third kindle?

I noticed on your other thread that you're trying to load a whole library onto your kindle all at once. Doing this isn't a good idea. It is probably what is causing the battery problems.

If you load lots of books all at once, each book has to index. Indexing uses lots of power. If just one book is 'stuck' the battery will continue draining fast and indexing will be stuck too.

Try to load just one book a day to avoid fast battery consumption. This will also make the transfer speed irrelevant.

When indexing, the battery is still being used in sleep mode because the kindle is still doing work. I mentioned above how to check to see if your reader is indexing.

I would suggest that you do a factory reset (check this site for how to do this) then start loading books far more slowly. Keep the kindle attached to a source of power for a few hours after loading the book. This speeds indexing and keeps the battery topped up.

I think the entire cause of the problems you're having is loading so many books at once.
Old 11-03-2019, 10:23 AM   #25
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
So Amazon are sending you a third kindle?

I noticed on your other thread that you're trying to load a whole library onto your kindle all at once. Doing this isn't a good idea. It is probably what is causing the battery problems.

If you load lots of books all at once, each book has to index. Indexing uses lots of power. If just one book is 'stuck' the battery will continue draining fast and indexing will be stuck too.

Try to load just one book a day to avoid fast battery consumption. This will also make the transfer speed irrelevant.

When indexing, the battery is still being used in sleep mode because the kindle is still doing work. I mentioned above how to check to see if your reader is indexing.

I would suggest that you do a factory reset (check this site for how to do this) then start loading books far more slowly. Keep the kindle attached to a source of power for a few hours after loading the book. This speeds indexing and keeps the battery topped up.

I think the entire cause of the problems you're having is loading so many books at once.
The way to check if there is as book stuck indexing, do a search in all the books for something that's not in any of the books such as a random characters. Then you'll see if there is a stuck book or not. The only problem is you won't know which book is stuck. That way it's best to load books on a kindle in small batches like 10-20 at a time. And keep note of the books in that batch so you can delete them from the Kindle if a book does get stuck indexing. Then you can try to figure out which book got stuck.
Old 11-03-2019, 03:35 PM   #26
binaryhermit
Grand Sorcerer
binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW4, Kindle Paperwhite Signature Edition
Actually, you can just search for . (the "period" character) If it shows any results for "Text in Books" those are books that are currently indexing.
binaryhermit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2019, 11:58 PM   #27
DuckieTigger
Wizard
DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 3, Oasis 2, PW3, PW1, KT
There is also a way to check if a specific book is done indexing without having to do any search (at least with a new enough FW, not sure since which FW that option exists). In the library view select the menu of a book (3 dots in list, long click with cover view) and see if "search this book" is available. If yes, book is indexed, if not option is greyed out.

ETA: Happened to look at my PW1, running 5.6.something - and it also has the "search this book" option. The dots are missing, so even in list view you need to long press to get to the menu.

Last edited by DuckieTigger; 11-04-2019 at 08:53 PM.
DuckieTigger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2019, 11:28 AM   #28
BookCat
C L J

Quote:
studynet,
This is the method I generally use. If a book is still indexing I get told something like "2 books not yet indexed" if I touch this it tells me WHICH books.

I have an older firmware: 5.9.7.
Old 11-04-2019, 07:50 PM   #29
HLS
Wizard
HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sage, Scribe, Boox Note 2 Plus, iPad Pros and Samsungs S6,S7,S8
if I buy a book it drains the heck out of the battery
HLS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2019, 10:35 AM   #30
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by HLS View Post
if I buy a book it drains the heck out of the battery
Is it being fully indexed?