Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 05-31-2015, 06:01 PM   #16
Apache
Readaholic
Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Surface Pro 6 / Galaxy Tab A 8"
Quote:
Originally Posted by jehane View Post
Thanks for all of the suggestions, I'll check them out.

Re: GR - I'm using webmail and as soon as I created my account, the GR site actually said they were going through my contacts list to see if there were other GR members there. And I didn't register via one of those buttons, though my email provider is there. That is what disturbed me, that they would do that *before* I had a chance to set my privacy options.

Purple Lady - that sounds like more work than keeping a spreadsheet!
I use them also.
Apache
Apache is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2015, 11:13 PM   #17
Dazrin
Wizard
Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, various Android devices
I use Goodreads and a Google Docs spreadsheet. I haven't had any issues with GR trying to hijack my account or anything.

For my spreadsheet, I did make a version that is fairly simple if you want a copy, just send me a PM.
Dazrin is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-01-2015, 12:59 AM   #18
dordale
Wizard
dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-650 & 350; Kindle Voyage; Kobo Aura HD, Aura One, and Forma
I use fictfact.com and an Excel spreadsheet to keep track of my books. I like fictfact because it shows me the order of books in a series so that I can read series in order. I also use fantastic fiction to check the order of series and order of releases of books--fantastic fiction is great, but it doesn't let you keep track of books you've read. In my Excel spreadsheet, I keep track of all the books I've read and when I read them.
dordale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2015, 01:34 AM   #19
brianca
Enthusiast
brianca can differentiate black from dark navy bluebrianca can differentiate black from dark navy bluebrianca can differentiate black from dark navy bluebrianca can differentiate black from dark navy bluebrianca can differentiate black from dark navy bluebrianca can differentiate black from dark navy bluebrianca can differentiate black from dark navy bluebrianca can differentiate black from dark navy bluebrianca can differentiate black from dark navy bluebrianca can differentiate black from dark navy bluebrianca can differentiate black from dark navy blue

Device: Kobo Aura
I'm a fan of LibraryThing -- not as slick in the UI dept. as Goodreads, maybe, but I find it to be way less invasive.
brianca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2015, 11:00 AM   #20
Purple Lady
Grand Sorcerer
Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Huawei MediaPad M5, LG V30, Boyue T80S, Nexus 7 LTE, K3 3G, Fire HD8
Quote:
Originally Posted by dordale View Post
I use fictfact.com and an Excel spreadsheet to keep track of my books. I like fictfact because it shows me the order of books in a series so that I can read series in order. I also use fantastic fiction to check the order of series and order of releases of books--fantastic fiction is great, but it doesn't let you keep track of books you've read. In my Excel spreadsheet, I keep track of all the books I've read and when I read them.
Yes! Fantastic Fiction is great for checking the order of books and also to find when a book was originally published. A lot of times the description of ebooks just tells you when that version was published.
Purple Lady is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-01-2015, 11:19 AM   #21
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
I find nothing invasive about Goodreads. I can be as private or social as I want with my account. You still have to explicitly make/accept Friend Requests. You can't be spontaneously made friends with anyone against your will. A private account with no friends would be fine for personal tracking, IMO. Turn off all notifications and you can be as anti-social as you like.
DiapDealer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2015, 11:35 AM   #22
soulfuldog
I ♥ Calibre
soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Voyage, Sony PRS-350, Hudl2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Purple Lady View Post
I also use Calibre to keep track of my library books. I import the library book into Calibre, delete the epub and replace it with an epub containing the words "no text". I then download metadata and use the modify epub plugin to create the book jacket. This way I have the book in my list with a description and rating. I also keep a copy of it in Calibre Companion on my devices.
Do you really need to create a blank epub file? I've not had any problems with just adding the metadata & cover, rating the book and then deleting the epub. The book is still listed in Calibre, its just if you click to open it there is "no available format" of the book to read.
soulfuldog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2015, 01:50 PM   #23
sakura-panda
Guru
sakura-panda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sakura-panda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sakura-panda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sakura-panda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sakura-panda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sakura-panda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sakura-panda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sakura-panda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sakura-panda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sakura-panda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sakura-panda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: 2017 10.5" iPad Pro (Kobo, NOOK, Kindle, Google Play Books & Scribd)
I log into Goodreads using my Facebook account, and since I don't have friends on either site, I didn't have it try to invite anybody for me. I have been a member for a few years, so it might be different now.

I like that I can easily access my Goodreads account both on my computer and with an app on my phone, although I find the app to be not as easy to use to find the next book in a series. (It's not difficult, but it takes a couple of extra steps over the web interface.) I depend on it when I'm looking to see what book is the next one in a series for me to read, even for series that I've reread often and *should* know the book order.
sakura-panda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2015, 02:25 PM   #24
kyteflyer
Wizard
kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone SE2020
Quote:
Originally Posted by pwalker8 View Post
I use authoralerts to notify me when a favored author has a new release. That might work for you if the issue is forgetting to check the web site. Authoralerts has a few holes in it, but it's a useful tool.

http://www.authoralerts.com/

is the website. You create an account and then add authors that you want to be notified about.
Thanks for that, I'll take a look
kyteflyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2015, 03:33 PM   #25
Purple Lady
Grand Sorcerer
Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by soulfuldog View Post
Do you really need to create a blank epub file? I've not had any problems with just adding the metadata & cover, rating the book and then deleting the epub. The book is still listed in Calibre, its just if you click to open it there is "no available format" of the book to read.
I need the epub to send it to my devices using CC. I guess I could also use a plain txt file though.
Old 06-01-2015, 11:29 PM   #26
meeera
Grand Sorcerer
meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, iPadMini4, iPad4, MBP; support other Kobo/Kindles
Quote:
Originally Posted by sakura-panda View Post
I like that I can easily access my Goodreads account both on my computer and with an app on my phone,
I also like that I can just scan the barcodes of my new library book pile each time.

I checked out quite a few book database/tracking type sites a while back, and none had the completeness and accuracy of Goodreads, especially for Australian books.
meeera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2015, 06:36 AM   #27
Froide
Wizard
Froide ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Froide ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Froide ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Froide ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Froide ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Froide ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Froide ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Froide ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Froide ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Froide ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Froide ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung Galaxy and Windows devices. RIP: Palm & Nook devices.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Purple Lady View Post
I need the epub to send it to my devices using CC. I guess I could also use a plain txt file though.
Why do you need a physical book file in Calibre Companion, for an audiobook? You could you have your cake (see lists of and read metadata for all files in Calibre, including audio and visual files) and eat it, too (preserve storage space on your mobile device) by doing the following:
  1. Create empty books (book entries with no formats) in Calibre for audiobooks, podcasts, lecture/interview audio files, and even video files (e.g., for books adapted to the silver screen).
  2. Populate the metadata for each empty book file. FYI, you can even include in the metadata a url to the online location where you can stream the audio/visual file.
  3. Use Calibre Cloud to access your Calibre library via your mobile device.

Last edited by Froide; 06-02-2015 at 06:52 AM.
Froide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2015, 08:52 AM   #28
BearMountainBooks
Maria Schneider
BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: 3g Kindle Keyboard
Fictfact as several have said is quite good. They will email you when a new book in the series is out (I forget how you set that up, but they aren't obnoxious).

There's also a sight called Leafmark that is like GR, but without the social stuff. Oh, they have the ability for social stuff, but there aren't a lot of people on there and they didn't go after my email contacts or FB or any of that when I signed up. Not a whisper. If you already have your books in GR, you can port them over (that is what I did.) The only thing that is kind of annoying is that the covers aren't all available so a lot of books have blank covers.

The interface is clean and a lot like GR. You can leave reviews or not, they have half stars if you just want to mark a book with stars, etc.
BearMountainBooks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2015, 12:32 PM   #29
Purple Lady
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Froide View Post
Why do you need a physical book file in Calibre Companion, for an audiobook? You could you have your cake (see lists of and read metadata for all files in Calibre, including audio and visual files) and eat it, too (preserve storage space on your mobile device) by doing the following:
  1. Create empty books (book entries with no formats) in Calibre for audiobooks, podcasts, lecture/interview audio files, and even video files (e.g., for books adapted to the silver screen).
  2. Populate the metadata for each empty book file. FYI, you can even include in the metadata a url to the online location where you can stream the audio/visual file.
  3. Use Calibre Cloud to access your Calibre library via your mobile device.
I want to access all my books in one place, so it's Calibre Companion for me. I want to be able to access the books at any time too, so I want them on my device.
Old 06-06-2015, 04:23 PM   #30
Tarana
Wizard
Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PWSE, Voyage, K3, HDX, KBasic 7 & 8, Nook Glo3, Echos, Nanos
I think you are just not using your brain. It happens to us all. You can set up a separate library of in Calibre for books you have read. You can use a spreadsheet. You can use a blank book. Enjoy!
Tarana is offline   Reply With Quote