Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

View Poll Results: Converting paper to pixels...?
Yes, every paper book I currently own will be an e-book in my library. 7 8.24%
Yes, to a certain extent. I'm converting the stuff I really like and weeding out the books I don't want anymore. 23 27.06%
Not exactly. I'm getting paper *and* electronic versions of my books. Both is better. 7 8.24%
No, I buy a selection of e-books moving forward, but largely don't see a need to convert my old stuff. 30 35.29%
No, I am not converting my books for various reasons. 11 12.94%
Additionally, I am horrified at the idea of scanning services. 6 7.06%
Or, alternately, I am giddy at the idea of scanning services. 7 8.24%
I need a bucket of cute ferrets to keep my bucket of kittens company. 12 14.12%
I'm on a horse. 10 11.76%
Something about a blue option. I can't remember. 13 15.29%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 85. You may not vote on this poll

Old 01-30-2012, 04:29 PM   #16
anamardoll
Chasing Butterflies
anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Uses batteries.
Quote:
Originally Posted by elemenoP View Post
As I said on another thread, I really have no idea why I would ever want to do this. So I chose the horrified option, but it's really more like baffled.

eP
No idea why anyone would want to do it? I'm guessing you missed my "why my friend cut Harry Potter" post.

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...2&postcount=36
anamardoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2012, 04:31 PM   #17
RainingLemur
Spork Connoisseur
RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Color
I'm not "converting" books to ebooks, rather actively looking to gather duplicates of books I already have.

Also, I'm on a horse.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	hoers.jpg
Views:	145
Size:	58.4 KB
ID:	81908  
RainingLemur is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-30-2012, 04:40 PM   #18
elemenoP
Wizard
elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, Sony 650
Quote:
Originally Posted by anamardoll View Post
No idea why anyone would want to do it? I'm guessing you missed my "why my friend cut Harry Potter" post.

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...2&postcount=36
Anamardoll, your reason makes sense, thanks.

RainingLemur, I think you're doing it wrong.

eP
elemenoP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2012, 07:20 PM   #19
Victoria
Wizard
Victoria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Victoria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Victoria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Victoria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Victoria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Victoria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Victoria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Victoria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Victoria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Victoria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Victoria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: ipad, Kindle PW, Kobo Clara; iphone 7
I hope to retire in 4 years, and move to a much smaller place. So I have been slowly buying ebook replacements for the oldies and goodies that I reread.

I now only buy art books in paper form. Strangely, I do not find looking at them on my iPad very satisfying, even though they are in colour. But I'm hoping to eliminate all paper books that are primarily prose.

Edit: anamardoll I've just read your H Potter post - very well said.

Last edited by Victoria; 01-30-2012 at 07:23 PM.
Victoria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2012, 07:31 PM   #20
pwalker8
Grand Sorcerer
pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Pro, iPad mini, Kobo Aura, Amazon paperwhite, Sony PRS-T2
I'm replacing many of my dead tree books with ebooks. I'm not scanning, just buying new e-book versions as I find them. Some books I won't replace because I didn't care for them when I first read it, others because they haven't come out in e-book format yet.
pwalker8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-30-2012, 07:48 PM   #21
ilovejedd
hopeless n00b
ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW4, PW3, Libra H2O, iPad 10.5, iPad 11, iPad 12.9
I've lost several shelves of books when we moved to a different country. Before ebooks became more commonplace, I've re-purchased some old favorites and have bought new paper books.

Right now, I've re-purchased part of my collection in ebook format whenever available and the rest are slowly going to 1DollarScan to be converted. Our apartment's just too tiny to house my book collection (have books in the closet, underneath the bed, underneath the sofa, etc). I still plan on keeping dead tree versions of absolute favorites but all of those, I should be able to fit in two tall bookcases.
ilovejedd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2012, 08:09 PM   #22
BWinmill
Nameless Being

Quote:
Originally Posted by Belfaborac View Post
There wasn't a perfect option for me, so I went with "I'm on a horse". It's patently a lie, since I'm in my living room on the second floor and probably couldn't even get a horse up the stairs, but it seemed appropriate nonetheless.
To learn how to pull that trick off, you may want to read "Dirk Gently's Holistic Detective Agency" (Douglas Adams).

Even though I'm not converting my library, it is inevitable that (almost) my entire library will end up as ebooks. Thing is, I'm not too clingy to books so I tend to get them, read them, keep them for a few years, then get rid of them as my interests change. I stuck the word almost in there simply because there are a dozen or so books that I have held onto for a very long time and don't know if I'll ever get rid of them.
Old 01-30-2012, 08:58 PM   #23
Belfaborac
Wizard
Belfaborac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Belfaborac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Belfaborac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Belfaborac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Belfaborac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Belfaborac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Belfaborac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Belfaborac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Belfaborac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Belfaborac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Belfaborac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-505, PRS-950
Quote:
Originally Posted by RainingLemur View Post
Also, I'm on a horse.
That's not even a real horse, unlike my imaginary one.
Belfaborac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2012, 09:02 PM   #24
RainingLemur
Spork Connoisseur
RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Color
Quote:
Originally Posted by Belfaborac View Post
That's not even a real horse, unlike my imaginary one.
It was real enough to touch!
RainingLemur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2012, 09:23 PM   #25
Belfaborac
Wizard
Belfaborac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Belfaborac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Belfaborac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Belfaborac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Belfaborac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Belfaborac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Belfaborac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Belfaborac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Belfaborac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Belfaborac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Belfaborac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-505, PRS-950
Well damn, you got me there.
Belfaborac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2012, 09:32 PM   #26
Synamon
Lunatic
Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite and Keyboard, Kobo Aura, iPad mini, iPod Touch
I don't have a paper book library, unless you count a few cookbooks and travel books, so there is nothing to convert. I never kept paper books, most of which were purchased secondhand for a quarter or borrowed from friends and the public library. Having an ebook library is a novelty I'm currently enjoying.

And I want a pony.
Synamon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2012, 12:11 PM   #27
Catlady
Grand Sorcerer
Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Fire, Kindle Paperwhite, AGPTek Bluetooth Clip
I have replaced almost all my public domain paperback books with e-books; I've retained public domain titles in hardcover for the most part but added a duplicate e-book.

I am also trying to replace as many other paperbacks and messy hardcovers as I can by buying e-book versions. But I have not scanned any books, and I absolutely would not destroy a book in order to scan it.
Catlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2012, 02:19 PM   #28
ProfCrash
Tea Enthusiast
ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle1, Kindle DX Graphite, K3 3G, IPad 3, PW2
I have rebought about 25% of my Paper colelction to ebooks. They are the books that I do enjoy re-reading.

And I like the idea of ferrots playing with kittens that I can watch while sitting on my horse. My dogs think that this is an awful idea and are barking up a storm. Hubby is going to be very upset by the mess in the house but I plan on blaming it on pregnacny hormones.
ProfCrash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2012, 02:24 PM   #29
odiakkoh
Guru
odiakkoh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odiakkoh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odiakkoh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odiakkoh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odiakkoh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odiakkoh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odiakkoh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odiakkoh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odiakkoh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odiakkoh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odiakkoh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 5s
Quote:
Originally Posted by pwalker8 View Post
I'm replacing many of my dead tree books with ebooks. I'm not scanning, just buying new e-book versions as I find them. Some books I won't replace because I didn't care for them when I first read it, others because they haven't come out in e-book format yet.
Same.
odiakkoh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2012, 02:35 PM   #30
5thWiggle
Benevolent Evil Lord
5thWiggle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.5thWiggle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.5thWiggle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.5thWiggle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.5thWiggle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.5thWiggle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.5thWiggle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.5thWiggle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.5thWiggle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.5thWiggle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.5thWiggle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Galaxy Note 8.0, Galaxy Note, iPad Mini, PocketEdge(retired)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ProfCrash View Post
IAnd I like the idea of ferrots playing with kittens that I can watch while sitting on my horse. My dogs think that this is an awful idea and are barking up a storm. Hubby is going to be very upset by the mess in the house but I plan on blaming it on pregnacny hormones.
Sorry, no buckets.

You're on a horse!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	tumblr_l7140xP1h71qa9omho1_500.jpg
Views:	217
Size:	107.0 KB
ID:	81940   Click image for larger version

Name:	horse-dog.jpg
Views:	233
Size:	58.3 KB
ID:	81941