Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 04-24-2012, 11:13 AM   #16
LuvReadin
Addict
LuvReadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LuvReadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LuvReadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LuvReadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LuvReadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LuvReadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LuvReadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LuvReadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LuvReadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LuvReadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LuvReadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-T1 and Cool-ER
Not on the Wifi either, IIRC; it just seemed to be a list of books. OTOH, the idea of 'collections' was one of the things that attracted me to the Sony, and I've found I haven't used it anywhere like as much as I thought I would; I tend to just browse through my books. I think I'd find the facility of the Kobo to show the 5 books most recently read (as opposed to the Sony's three most recently loaded) more useful.
LuvReadin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2012, 05:25 PM   #17
lornaw
lornaw began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Touch, Kobo Aura HD
It will be interesting to see what new ideas and devices will be coming out on the market soon. I am already assuming that my Kobo Touch is becoming obsolete, as we speak.
BTW, Thanks GvilleBridge for the link to the codes!!! I managed to save a bunch on some books that I wanted and have enough to pay my bills.
lornaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-24-2012, 08:01 PM   #18
seajewel
Fanatic
seajewel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.seajewel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.seajewel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.seajewel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.seajewel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.seajewel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.seajewel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.seajewel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.seajewel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.seajewel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.seajewel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-505, Sony PRS-950
I would be interested in seeing what Kobo brings out in the future, although I feel absolutely no need to replace my PRS-950 at the moment. However, with Sony's move into plastic e-ink readers (like the rest) and abysmal ebookstore, I've started buying from kobo whenever possible because of the great codes and have my eye on Kobo as a possible next epub reader.
seajewel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2012, 08:45 PM   #19
The Terminator
Retired
The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch, Optimus One (2.3), Nexus 7 (4.2)
Quote:
Originally Posted by danskmacabre View Post
If you mean like customised libraries to sort books into on the KT itself, then no.
I REALLY want this feature. I'm told it's coming tho.
For the time being you can try -ah 's awesome plug-in work.

And us in the Beta don't have anything right now

Last edited by The Terminator; 04-24-2012 at 08:48 PM.
The Terminator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2012, 10:46 PM   #20
spindlegirl
Wizard
spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra h20, Paperwhite 2017, Phone & Tablet w Moonreader
Quote:
Originally Posted by LuvReadin View Post
Not on the Wifi either, IIRC; it just seemed to be a list of books. OTOH, the idea of 'collections' was one of the things that attracted me to the Sony, and I've found I haven't used it anywhere like as much as I thought I would; I tend to just browse through my books. I think I'd find the facility of the Kobo to show the 5 books most recently read (as opposed to the Sony's three most recently loaded) more useful.
Same here. I found myself in a habit of "calibre to organize, the reader to read as I go" that even when I got the t1, I wasn't using the collections.

I do however, find the Kobo Wifi to be a less buggy device than the Kobo Touch...

Also with the T1 I feel more like the owner of the device than its test subject.
spindlegirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-25-2012, 05:09 AM   #21
danskmacabre
Guru
danskmacabre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danskmacabre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danskmacabre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danskmacabre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danskmacabre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danskmacabre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danskmacabre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danskmacabre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danskmacabre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danskmacabre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danskmacabre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo. Galaxy Tab S 8.4
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Terminator View Post
For the time being you can try -ah 's awesome plug-in work.
That doesn't work well for my KT as I side load most of my books and the plugin doesn't boot properly when you have a microSD card inserted, or at least it was like that last time I tried it anyway.

Quote:
And us in the Beta don't have anything right now
Oh, bummer... oh well.
danskmacabre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2012, 07:41 PM   #22
The Terminator
Retired
The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by danskmacabre View Post
That doesn't work well for my KT as I side load most of my books and the plugin doesn't boot properly when you have a microSD card inserted, or at least it was like that last time I tried it anyway.

Oh, bummer... oh well.
That's too bad, the biggest bug for me right now is that there is no top margin for ePubs. My case casts a small shadow that cuts some of the words, taking the case off helps but it's still a pain.
Old 04-26-2012, 12:15 AM   #23
masona8
Enthusiast
masona8 began at the beginning.

Device: kobo, Kindle DX graphite, Kindle 3
I heard something completely different (though I am not one to divulge my sources). Mine is along the lines that they are bringing out the original kobo which can actually go to a particular page number and wouldn't take a minute and a half to do anything while its hopeless processor and badly thought out firmware scratch their heads in wonder at why anyone would want to use such a poxy device
masona8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2012, 10:02 AM   #24
taming
Trying for calm & polite
taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo original, WiFI, Touch, Glo, and Aura
Hey masona8, I actually have an original Kobo, a WiFi, and a Touch. From what I can tell, the one real issue with the Touch is the top line, and other then that it is a stable little guy. My Kobo-o seems like a slow moving dinosaur, in comparison. I've been using Kobo-WiFi for a few days, and it is stable and reliable.

You may not like something (like recommendations) or wish it had something it doesn't (like categories/bookshelves), but comparing things like page turns, text clarity, and customization options, Kobo devices have grown and improved with every device.
taming is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2012, 10:08 AM   #25
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
Quote:
Originally Posted by taming View Post
Kobo devices have grown and improved with every device.
That's probably true, but as an outsider (I did own a Vox for a couple weeks) my impression of Kobo's devices (right or wrong) is that they're buggy when released and don't really hit there stride until months later after some firmware upgrades/fixes.
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2012, 03:55 PM   #26
taming
Trying for calm & polite
taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

FWIW, I agree that devices have been issued with far less than perfect firmware. More often though, what kobo does with a firmware release is improve--add features. Some of those post-production releases are terrific, and some have kinks to iron out.

And again, FWIW, I think that before you use words like "poxy", you should mention that you have never actually owned the devices you are speaking about.
Old 04-26-2012, 03:59 PM   #27
taming
Trying for calm & polite

oopsie--I had posted a very misleading post. My mistake. I thought this was a picture of a new purple Kobo. But now I think it is a black one that is new to the individual who took the picture.

I just got a Kobo email saying that Touch prices are dropping to $99 CAD on April 27. Now that may mean a new device may be on the horizon.

Last edited by taming; 04-26-2012 at 05:23 PM.
Old 04-26-2012, 06:22 PM   #28
The Terminator
Retired

I just got the email too. If a new one comes out and the KT drops even more in price (Unless something totally awesome comes out) I'll think of picking up another one.
Old 04-26-2012, 06:35 PM   #29
The Terminator
Retired

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vormulac View Post
I think a realisitic update to the KT wouls have to be to make it closer to the Kindle in terms of 'polish' - a faster processor, a better battery and more reliable touch screen (and perhaps the ability to mount a powered light like the excellent Kindle illuminated case). Other than that it's hard to see what could really be improved in terms of hardware.
Page turns seem to be the same speed on the Kindle and the Kobo Touch, and unless I'm mistaken the both use Freestyle 508 processors.

And the Wiki is a bit misleading on battery life.

Kobo:
Quote:
Battery Life: 10 days or 10,000 Page Turns
I read at least an hour a day and get two to three weeks on a charge.

Kindle: Battery Life:
Quote:
one month with wireless off based upon a half-hour of daily reading time. Keep wireless always on and it lasts for up to 3 weeks. Battery life will vary based on wireless usage, such as shopping the Kindle Store, web browsing, and downloading content.

Last edited by The Terminator; 04-26-2012 at 09:50 PM.
Old 04-26-2012, 08:07 PM   #30
Danger
Evangelist
Danger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Danger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Danger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Danger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Danger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Danger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Danger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Danger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Danger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Danger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Danger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K2 (retired), Kobo Touch (passed to the wife), KGlo, Galaxy TabPro
Well if a new one is coming out I hope it's soon. I broke my KO's screen a couple weeks ago. Fortunately it's the bottom left corner of the screen and only 1" high x 2" wide so it's still readable although I have to frequently change font size to be able to fully read the last 2 lines on a page. So of course I've been looking for a new reader and also received the email on the price drop. Now I'm thinking do I fork out the money for a KT or wait and see what comes out new. I'm hoping for a Kobo with a "Glow Screen" like the new Nook as the wife and I like to read at night around the campfire when camping.
Danger is offline   Reply With Quote