Notices

Old 07-11-2010, 12:08 PM   #16
nremondelli
Zealot
nremondelli is on a distinguished road

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by polbit View Post
Just wanted to offer a different perspective... I went from Sony PRS-505 to an iPad, and used it mostly as a book reader. I have to say, especially at night, E Ink display is 100x better for me. With the iPad my eyes would get tired very fast, and then falling asleep was a little difficult. So, I'm going back to a dedicated ebook reader...
I agree with this 100%. I sold my K2 to buy the iPad. I love me iPad but cannot read on it. It fatigues me. I just put in for the new Graphite Kindle.
nremondelli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2010, 09:01 AM   #17
harryE123
Banned
harryE123 is on a distinguished road

Device: irex reader
It fatigues me too, but other than that the iPad has replaced pretty much every Mac I have for daily tasks, it's a stunning product really.
harryE123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-13-2010, 09:10 PM   #18
nremondelli
Zealot
nremondelli is on a distinguished road

Yeah. I love my iPad. I'm using it now. Can do everything on it, but cannot, for the life of me, get inti reading on it.
nremondelli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2010, 10:32 PM   #19
BVLarson
Author
BVLarson has learned how to read e-booksBVLarson has learned how to read e-booksBVLarson has learned how to read e-booksBVLarson has learned how to read e-booksBVLarson has learned how to read e-booksBVLarson has learned how to read e-booksBVLarson has learned how to read e-booksBVLarson has learned how to read e-books

Device: Kindle
I really can't give up the Eink screen for reading. I already own a Netbook and a Notebook, so I can't imagine wanting an Ipad.
BVLarson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2010, 11:42 AM   #20
harryE123
Banned

You really have to use the iPad for a while and then you ll throw that net book away, at the risk of sounding idiotically sensationalist, it really IS magical.

I ve started getting used to reading with either the sepia iBooks background, or the excellent instapaper white on black. That said, For me too it doesn't come close to the ease of reading on a good epaper or physical paper, so I will be checking out this dxg for sure.
Advert
Old 07-14-2010, 11:51 AM   #21
polbit
Connoisseur
polbit is faster than slow light.polbit is faster than slow light.polbit is faster than slow light.polbit is faster than slow light.polbit is faster than slow light.polbit is faster than slow light.polbit is faster than slow light.polbit is faster than slow light.polbit is faster than slow light.polbit is faster than slow light.polbit is faster than slow light.

Device: Kindle 4, Kindle HDX 8.9, Yoga 2 Pro
Well, I might be in the minority, because I just don't get the iPad. I used my iPad for three things:

1. Books
2. browsing
3. apps

For books, no go. For browsing it's fine, but doesn't replace a good laptop with high resolution screen, flash, and real keyboard. For apps, well, most of them are a waste of time and money after a while. Was really dissapointed with Pages and Numbers, as anything substantial would take way too long. In the end, after owning it 7 weeks if I remember correctly, I just can't justify its existence. My phone can browse the internet for what I need just as well, and for serious use I have a good laptop.

Good thing the demand is still high for them, because I sold it for close to what I bought it for...
polbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2010, 01:30 PM   #22
harryE123
Banned

Different strokes for different folks of course, but you really can't compare the ease of browsing the web as if reading a book to any laptop experience. And flash? Come on, first of all there is as the saying goes an app for that, oplayer for instance that can handle any format even flv video. As for apps what can I say, did you try instaper, daily edition, weather and recipe apps, atlases, drawing, newspaper apps? Audio apps, recording apps, gardening apps? As for a real keyboard it's just a Bluetooth or dock away...and then there's the gorgeous ips screen, the touch interface, how thin and cool (thermally) this thing is, how super fast everything loads etc, etc. I think you might not have given it a proper chance, I for once find it backward to even open up my laptop any more.
Old 07-14-2010, 03:37 PM   #23
polbit
Connoisseur
polbit is faster than slow light.polbit is faster than slow light.polbit is faster than slow light.polbit is faster than slow light.polbit is faster than slow light.polbit is faster than slow light.polbit is faster than slow light.polbit is faster than slow light.polbit is faster than slow light.polbit is faster than slow light.polbit is faster than slow light.

Device: Kindle 4, Kindle HDX 8.9, Yoga 2 Pro
I don't really want to hijack this tread to talk about the iPad, but...

1. The browsing experience - 1024x768 screen, with limited memory that makes every page reload when you switch between pages. Lack of flash isn't a deal killer for me, but it certainly detracts from the overal experience when you go to websites that require it. I'm comparing this to a 1600x1200 laptop screen, with fast, multi-tabbed browser. I guess it all depends on how you use the browser.

2. Apps - I'm sorry, but I think 70% of apps out there are stupid little games that people spend hours killing time with. They are a big distraction, and a huge time drain. Weather? I can check on my phone faster. Or go to weather.com and get more info. Receipe apps? What's wrong with going to the million websites? More choices, etc. Recording apps? Yes, few aren't bad. The point is, I bought and used way too many, and nothing made it stick, the way apps make sense on my phone. I guess I'm old school and like big tools like MS Office, Adobe Photoshop, Visual Studio, etc, etc...

3. Keyboard - If I need a Bluetooth keyboard, that's just another physical item. Might as well use a laptop.

4. Physical attributes - yes it is thin, runs cool, and lasts honest 10 hours. But it is also extremely limited in a lot of areas. Can't use it outside - it overheats in the sun very fast, and screen washes out. No camera, so no video conferencing. etc, etc.

iPad has been created as a content consumption device. I'm probably getting old, but I don't watch movies or programs on a screen this size, and only ocasional Youtube videos, mostly for reviews. As a music player, it's obviously too big to be portable. I use my iPod to work out and in the car - iPad doesn't work there...

There is also the way that Apple limits everything to its way or the highway. The iPad is way too bright at night, and no way to reduce the brightness except in ereader apps. No way to easily organize apps (I know, iOS 4 is coming, but not until later for iPad). No way to multitask (unless jailbroken), no good way to organize documents on the iPad itself, etc, etc..

Now, I'm not saying that iPad is useless by any means. There are many great uses, and very many happy people. And maybe, if iPad 2 or 3 comes out, and has a hi-res screen, good multitasking, and the missing camera and SD card slot, I might buy it again. For now, a combination of a compact 14" laptop, a good phone, and a good ereader is better for me.

Since this is a reading forum though, the main point is still that as a reading device, an e-ink reader is better
polbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2010, 03:18 PM   #24
pboss
Evangelist
pboss will become famous soon enoughpboss will become famous soon enoughpboss will become famous soon enoughpboss will become famous soon enoughpboss will become famous soon enoughpboss will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Apps - I'm sorry, but I think 70% of apps out there are stupid little games that people spend hours killing time with.
This.
pboss is offline   Reply With Quote