Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Lounge

Notices

View Poll Results: Do you subscribe to cable or satellite television?
Yes, I enjoy watching cable TV shows. 20 29.41%
Yes, because the reception is so poor where I live that I can't get anything without it. 7 10.29%
Yes, I wouldn't, but other members of my family insist upon it. 1 1.47%
Yes, for another reason (please state). 10 14.71%
No, I'm not very interested in television. 15 22.06%
No, cable TV is just too expensive! 6 8.82%
No, for another reason (please state). 9 13.24%
Voters: 68. You may not vote on this poll

Old 08-28-2010, 11:15 AM   #16
GeoffC
Chocolate Grasshopper ...
GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Muse HD , Cybook Gen3 , Pocketbook 302 (Black) , Nexus 10: wife has PW
Quote:
Originally Posted by BenG View Post
I have cable though I decided to drop it last week when I realized I had been tuned to the weather channel for 3 hours.
GeoffC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2010, 11:23 AM   #17
Sparrow
Wizard
Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Palm TX, CyBook Gen3
My house had cable when I moved in - I've got the cheapest TV package, but the fastest Internet connection they can supply.

I've more or less given up watching commercial TV - too many ad breaks. I'll watch their programmes on the Internet instead.
Sparrow is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-28-2010, 03:50 PM   #18
Juliette
I eat books
Juliette , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Juliette , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Juliette , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Juliette , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Juliette , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Juliette , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Juliette , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Juliette , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Juliette , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Juliette , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Juliette , Klaatu Barada Niktu!

Device: Gen3 PRS-505 PRS-600 PB360 PB302 K2 Opus BebookMini OnyxBoox K3 KDXG
We have free-to-air, but I loathe tv. I once went on without it for weeks, and it was wonderful. Radio definitely pawns tv for me, except for Rai Storia (public channel dedicated on one of my interests) and football games (but I turn off the audio, because it's rarely related to the match going on- in this radio proved quite good, they're bound to stick to that because they don't have images talking for them).
Juliette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2010, 04:06 PM   #19
Quake1028
Guru
Quake1028 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quake1028 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quake1028 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quake1028 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quake1028 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quake1028 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quake1028 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quake1028 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quake1028 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quake1028 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quake1028 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: See signature
Cable here. Can't live without The Colbert Report or PTI.
Quake1028 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2010, 07:01 PM   #20
SneakySnake
I'm watching you!
SneakySnake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SneakySnake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SneakySnake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SneakySnake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SneakySnake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SneakySnake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SneakySnake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SneakySnake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SneakySnake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SneakySnake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SneakySnake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-900(unused lately) iPadAir2, want me Kindle Oasis
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sparrow View Post
My house had cable when I moved in - I've got the cheapest TV package, but the fastest Internet connection they can supply.

I've more or less given up watching commercial TV - too many ad breaks. I'll watch their programmes on the Internet instead.
We don't have the fast stuff in our area. WE don't even have ADSLII. Bluddy hung parliament.

I guess we are only one step up from dial up.
SneakySnake is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-28-2010, 08:18 PM   #21
ardeegee
Maratus speciosus butt
ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-350
Quote:
Originally Posted by BenG View Post
I have cable though I decided to drop it last week when I realized I had been tuned to the weather channel for 3 hours.

I'm keeping cable broadband though.
If your service is anything like mine, you can't drop cable completely and keep broadband. Back when I was signing up for broadband, they told me that basic cable was $14.95 a month. I asked if I could get the internet connection without the cable TV. "Sure," they said. "But there is a surcharge of $15.00 a month."

But that actually is a reasonable stance from them-- if that physical cable is feeding into your house with a live signal, you have the basic, unencrypted cable channels. If there was no "surcharge" for TV-less internet, all you would do is have to put a line splitter on the cable, run connections to your TV and-- free cable TV.
ardeegee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2010, 06:35 AM   #22
Druid_Elf
Zealot
Druid_Elf will become famous soon enoughDruid_Elf will become famous soon enoughDruid_Elf will become famous soon enoughDruid_Elf will become famous soon enoughDruid_Elf will become famous soon enoughDruid_Elf will become famous soon enough

Device: none
Nothing here I have a TV which is hooked up to a DVD player, that's it.
If I visit my parents I sometimes watch TV, but that's it. There isn't anything good anyways on TV.
For the news I read online newspapers, thats it
Druid_Elf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2010, 09:31 AM   #23
Prash
Zealot
Prash has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Prash has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Prash has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Prash has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: K3W, LG OG-E970, Utopia Apad
No tv for me too, books, computers and outside world are far more involving, which leaves me no time for tv.
Prash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2010, 09:34 AM   #24
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
I don't like option #1 and all the rest are not appropriate. So please, fix this poll. For a lot, it's not a matter of enjoying cable TV shows, it's a matter of it's all there is. So really, #1 is so wrong and that makes the poll not valid as the answers are wrong.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2010, 09:42 AM   #25
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
No cable where I live. Broadcast TV here is now digital (the analogue channels were switched off last year) and that gives us about 40 free channels. Mainly garbage, but one finds the occasional gem, especially on the BBC.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2010, 10:09 AM   #26
bevdeforges
Addict
bevdeforges ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bevdeforges ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bevdeforges ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bevdeforges ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bevdeforges ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bevdeforges ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bevdeforges ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bevdeforges ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bevdeforges ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bevdeforges ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bevdeforges ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Forma; Sony PRS600B; Sony 350; Sony T-2
No cable where I live - but we do have satellite service. (Getting worse now as the trees in the woods nearby grow to heights that seem to interfere with the satellite reception...)

We've got basic service only, and mostly so I can watch English language news (CNNI, BBC and al-Jazeera, occasionally France 24) or the news in French on TF1 or France 2. I'm hoping there might be something worth watching coming up in the fall (maybe season 6 of House in VM?) but pickings are getting slim, even when I'm over in the US. But, it leaves far more time to read!
bevdeforges is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2010, 03:24 PM   #27
Maggie May
Grand Sorcerer
Maggie May ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Maggie May ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Maggie May ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Maggie May ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Maggie May ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Maggie May ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Maggie May ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Maggie May ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Maggie May ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Maggie May ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Maggie May ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: CYbook Gen3 and Sony PRS 3505 Kindle 3 G Nexus 7 iPad
I have cable. I don't watch much T.V. really. Just turn it on for the news, rugby and soccer when Ireland's playing, and to watch a couple of my favourite programmes. Criminal Minds, two and a half men, and the big bang theory. We have to buy a TV licence each year also. €160. Mine is due on Tuesday. Dang it.

Mag.
Maggie May is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2010, 03:42 PM   #28
phenomshel
ZCD BombShel
phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad, STB Kindle Oasis
Neither. I answered the poll as "no, other option (please explain)" but I could just as well have gone for "no, not that interested". Like rebarnmom, I like Food Network and HGTV, but the only network tv I really watch is "Glee". All options are too expensive for the very little TV watching I do, even when we have it.
I finally sent the DirecTV box back - and since we have business plan Comcrap for 'net I don't *think* they'll let us have residential cable tv at the same time. As long as I can get Glee the next day via Hulu.com or something, I don't really care much.
phenomshel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2010, 07:57 PM   #29
nohmi2
Pensively observing.
nohmi2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nohmi2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nohmi2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nohmi2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nohmi2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nohmi2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nohmi2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nohmi2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nohmi2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nohmi2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nohmi2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Varied.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Javed View Post
I watch free to air, otherwise I watch content from the internet.
Ditto.

There are too many good documentaries (which are free) to watch online to bother with cable.

Cheers.
nohmi2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2010, 02:22 AM   #30
Sweetpea
Grand Sorcerer
Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Inkpad 4 Color; Samsung Galaxy Tab S6
Cable here. And we've the extended package (not the premium ones). I primarily watch the various Discoveries, Animal Planet, NGC's, History and sometimes a movie, series or documentary on Dutch, Belgian or British channels.
Sweetpea is offline   Reply With Quote