Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Lounge

Notices

Old 06-28-2010, 04:24 PM   #16
obs20
Wizard
obs20 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obs20 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obs20 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obs20 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obs20 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obs20 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obs20 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obs20 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obs20 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obs20 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obs20 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS 600, Nook ST, Toshiba Excite 10.1 AT 300
Quote:
Originally Posted by pdurrant View Post
An easy one! At least, that's how it's classified where I found it over at http://www.folj.com/puzzles/easy.htm.

A pot contains 75 white beans and 150 black ones. Next to the pot is a pile of 300 black beans.

A somewhat demented chef takes the beans from the pot in the following manner:
  • He takes two beans at random from the pot.
  • If one of the beans is black, he places it in the pile of black beans and puts the other one (white or black) back in the pot.
  • Otherwise, he throws both beans away and takes a black bean from the pile and puts it into the pot.
Note that two beans have been taken out and only one put back. He repeats the procedure, reducing the number of beans in the pot by one each time, until there is only one bean in the pot.

What colour bean is the last one in the pot?

[Oh - and please enclose answers in spoiler tags as usual. Thanks!]
Spoiler:
I don't see how the pot will be depleted but the ratio of black beans to white beans is increasing.
obs20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2010, 05:00 PM   #17
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by obs20 View Post
Spoiler:
I don't see how the pot will be depleted but the ratio of black beans to white beans is increasing.
I think you may have misunderstood the question. The pot has one fewer beans it it every time through his procedure.
pdurrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-28-2010, 08:50 PM   #18
obs20
Wizard
obs20 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obs20 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obs20 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obs20 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obs20 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obs20 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obs20 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obs20 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obs20 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obs20 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obs20 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS 600, Nook ST, Toshiba Excite 10.1 AT 300
Quote:
I think you may have misunderstood the question. The pot has one fewer beans it it every time through his procedure.

Spoiler:
Okay what happens if the last 2 picked are white beans. The they are thrown away and 1 black bean is put back in the pot. Then you have a single black bean left.
Wait....
The last two were white that means the last was white. I get it, I get it
obs20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2010, 07:26 AM   #19
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by obs20 View Post

Spoiler:
Okay what happens if the last 2 picked are white beans. The they are thrown away and 1 black bean is put back in the pot. Then you have a single black bean left.
Wait....
The last two were white that means the last was white. I get it, I get it
No, it's not a trick question. It's really asking what the colour is of the last bean in the pot after doing the described actions 224 (= 150+75-1) times. You have to stop then, because there's only one bean left in the pot, and the rules say to take out two beans.

Answer:
Spoiler:

The last bean in the pot is always white.

Black beans are removed from the pot one at a time. (Either one black and one white are removed, and only the white one put back, or two black beans are removed and one of them is put back)
White beans are only removed in pairs. (White beans are only discarded when a pair of white beans is removed.)

We start with an odd number of white beans. White beans are only removed in pairs. The number of beans in the pot goes down by one every time.

Since the number of beans goes down by one every time, eventually there must be only one bean in the pot. Since white beans are only removed in pairs, we started with an odd number, and white beans are never added to the pot, the last bean in the pot must be white. There's no point in considering the case where the last two beans in the pot are white — that cannot happen. There are never an even number of beans in the pot.

Old 06-29-2010, 10:51 AM   #20
ShortNCuddlyAm
WWHALD
ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad. Selling my silver 505 here
Spoiler:

White - there's an odd number of white beans and the way the beans are being removed means there will always be an odd number of white beans

Although it's probably not white any more, but a murky shade of grey-brown from having picked up dirt from the chef's hands through all the hadling... unless of course the beans are cooking in the pot, in which case it will probably be a sort-of purply-grey colour.
ShortNCuddlyAm is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-29-2010, 10:55 AM   #21
zelda_pinwheel
zeldinha zippy zeldissima
zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: eb1150 & is that a nook in her pocket, or she just happy to see you?
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShortNCuddlyAm View Post
Spoiler:

White - there's an odd number of white beans and the way the beans are being removed means there will always be an odd number of white beans

Although it's probably not white any more, but a murky shade of grey-brown from having picked up dirt from the chef's hands through all the hadling... unless of course the beans are cooking in the pot, in which case it will probably be a sort-of purply-grey colour.
zelda_pinwheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2010, 11:21 AM   #22
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShortNCuddlyAm View Post
Spoiler:

Yes, the right answer with the right explanation. Congratulations!
Old 06-29-2010, 12:27 PM   #23
LazyScot
DSil
LazyScot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LazyScot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LazyScot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LazyScot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LazyScot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LazyScot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LazyScot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LazyScot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LazyScot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LazyScot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LazyScot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle, Cybook
Quote:
Ah — but only if you get the coding right. It's a lot easier to do a written proof for this puzzle than to prove that a program does what you think it does...
You would need to get complete coverage of the data, which you'd need to prove you'd done....

Also, for some problems (less so for this one), complete coverage may not be practically computable. And for some problems a single "run" may not be computationally tractable (is that the right term? I mean that the algorithms that don't have a polynomial time solution). Unless you are the NSA or some such

From memory, there was a silicon design case, an FPU I think -- the details are hazy in my aged mind -- where most of the design was based on formal proofs, apart from one small step handled by a little bit of code... Guess what? The code was wrong and the result was a bug in the design...

Though, to be fair, such approaches can be handy for a quick test to try and verify or disprove a hypothesis. (I have some memory of this also being used, when combined with statistics and distributions to give a confidence value on an otherwise unproven hypothesis, but I can't remember the details.)
LazyScot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2010, 11:37 AM   #24
draghetto
draghetto doesn't litterdraghetto doesn't litter

Device: Sony PRS-505
Sorry ofr the spoiler guys, i didn't know i could use the spoiler tag
draghetto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2010, 11:40 AM   #25
zelda_pinwheel
zeldinha zippy zeldissima
zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: eb1150 & is that a nook in her pocket, or she just happy to see you?
Quote:
Originally Posted by draghetto View Post
don't worry draghetto, you'll know next time. to use it, click on "go advanced" ; the spoiler button is the one with the eye and the red X : just select the text you want to hide and then click the button.
zelda_pinwheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2010, 03:44 PM   #26
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠

Quote:
Originally Posted by draghetto View Post
Not to worry! As you didn't explain your answer, it was not much of a spoiler, and everyone seems to have got on fine. Do join in on the next one — once I decide on a puzzle to post.
Old 06-30-2010, 04:01 PM   #27
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠

Quote:
once I decide on a puzzle to post.
And here's the next puzzle. An old chestnut, but it's probably new to some of you. It's been a while since I came across it.

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?t=88949