Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 11-14-2011, 11:31 AM   #16
murraypaul
Interested Bystander
murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Note 4, Kobo One
Quote:
Originally Posted by covfam View Post
you do know that ALOT of browsers do this and most all of them like amazons Silk browser give you an opt out feature
Really? A lot of browsers do this?
Care to name some? (More than Opera Mini)
murraypaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2011, 11:38 AM   #17
soondai
Guru
soondai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soondai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soondai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soondai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soondai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soondai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soondai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soondai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soondai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soondai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soondai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite
Pleasantly surprised that you can sideload apks.

Sounds like a good buy. Almost tempted myself.
soondai is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-14-2011, 12:07 PM   #18
Kali Yuga
Professional Contrarian
Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 4 No Touchie
Sounds to me like you're getting what you pay for... an underperforming tablet that pushes you to join or use Prime.

Seems like if you keep your expectations in line and/or can leverage Prime for all it's worth, it's a decent device. If you expect it to run as fast as a full-fledged tablet, you will be disappointed.

I'm not sure if I should be surprised that the first iteration is a little off. The Kindle 1 never caught my fancy, but that was also a much lower profile device / launch.
Kali Yuga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2011, 12:08 PM   #19
ProfCrash
Tea Enthusiast
ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle1, Kindle DX Graphite, K3 3G, IPad 3, PW2
I am tempted. Christmas is coming. Christmas is coming. Maybe I can convince the hubby to give it to me before we fly for Christmas....
ProfCrash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2011, 12:08 PM   #20
ProfCrash
Tea Enthusiast
ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle1, Kindle DX Graphite, K3 3G, IPad 3, PW2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kali Yuga View Post
Sounds to me like you're getting what you pay for... an underperforming tablet that pushes you to join or use Prime.

Seems like if you keep your expectations in line and/or can leverage Prime for all it's worth, it's a decent device. If you expect it to run as fast as a full-fledged tablet, you will be disappointed.

I'm not sure if I should be surprised that the first iteration is a little off. The Kindle 1 never caught my fancy, but that was also a much lower profile device / launch.
The K1 was great. It did exactly what it said it would do. It read e-books. I loved mine and still miss the wheel and silver bar on my Kindle.
ProfCrash is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-14-2011, 01:17 PM   #21
ScotiaBurrell
Banned
ScotiaBurrell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScotiaBurrell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScotiaBurrell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScotiaBurrell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScotiaBurrell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScotiaBurrell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScotiaBurrell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScotiaBurrell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScotiaBurrell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScotiaBurrell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScotiaBurrell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle & little green monster
I say that this replaces the ipod touches and other ebook readers, and not that it replaces the iPad.
ScotiaBurrell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2011, 01:18 PM   #22
Yamko
Yamko is no ebook tyro.Yamko is no ebook tyro.Yamko is no ebook tyro.Yamko is no ebook tyro.Yamko is no ebook tyro.Yamko is no ebook tyro.Yamko is no ebook tyro.Yamko is no ebook tyro.Yamko is no ebook tyro.

Device: none
Looks good, was wondering if I should get this or wait for an even newer version.
Yamko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2011, 01:27 PM   #23
Tess89
Enthusiast
Tess89 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tess89 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tess89 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tess89 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tess89 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tess89 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tess89 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tess89 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tess89 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tess89 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tess89 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kali Yuga View Post

"Get what you pay for" is right. It'll be a great starter tablet for many I'm sure but I'm glad I cancelled my order.
Tess89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2011, 01:31 PM   #24
fjtorres
Grand Sorcerer
fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: T100TA,PW2,PRS-T1,KT,FireHD 8.9,K2, PB360,BeBook One,Axim51v,TC1000
ZDNet has a review *and* an evaluation of the business model:
http://www.zdnet.com/blog/btl/amazon...74?tag=nl.e539

Basically, folks, it is neither an iPad not a NookColor.
It actually has more in common with the XBOX360 and PS3 than the NookColor.
It is a walled-garden terminal designed for consuming (and selling, natch) content.

Yes, you can sideload apps and content--they *said* it could at the intro--but if the SD Card slot and 16GB on-board storage matters to you it is because you expect it to behave like a standalone portable computer, which it is *NOT*. If you want a portable computer, you don't want a FIRE.

As pointed out in the ZDNet review, the 8GB local storage on the FIRE is more of a local offline cache for its cloud-based storage. Think of eink readers and small-capacity PMPs, where primary storage is on a PC and you load up from the PC what you intend/expect to use, rather than loading it up with *everything* you own. Well, the FIRE uses its cloud storage as the primary storage and the onboard as an offline cache. If you're not comfortable with that design, the FIRE is not for you

It'll be interesting to see how many people are okay with it, but judging by its acceptance on gaming consoles which are even more limited as to sideloading, Amazon's bet is a good one. I suspect ZDNet is closer to being right than to being wrong when they say that iPod will lock up the high-end buyers, FIRE will lock up the low end, and between the two they'll crush everything caught in the middle.

(Though I *personally* think the Win8 Tablet PCs will have something to say about the high end.)

Last edited by fjtorres; 11-14-2011 at 01:35 PM.
fjtorres is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2011, 01:38 PM   #25
ScotiaBurrell
Banned
ScotiaBurrell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScotiaBurrell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScotiaBurrell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScotiaBurrell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScotiaBurrell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScotiaBurrell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScotiaBurrell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScotiaBurrell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScotiaBurrell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScotiaBurrell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScotiaBurrell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle & little green monster
Quote:
Originally Posted by fjtorres View Post
ZDNet has a review *and* an evaluation of the business model:
http://www.zdnet.com/blog/btl/amazon...74?tag=nl.e539

Basically, folks, it is neither an iPad not a NookColor.
It actually has more in common with the XBOX360 and PS3 than the NookColor.
It is a walled-garden terminal designed for consuming (and selling, natch) content.

Yes, you can sideload apps and content--they *said* it could at the intro--but if the SD Card slot and 16GB on-board storage matters to you it is because you expect it to behave like a standalone portable computer, which it is *NOT*. If you want a portable computer, you don't want a FIRE.

As pointed out in the ZDNet review, the 8GB local storage on the FIRE is more of a local offline cache for its cloud-based storage. Think of eink readers and small-capacity PMPs, where primary storage is on a PC and you load up from the PC what you intend/expect to use, rather than loading it up with *everything* you own. Well, the FIRE uses its cloud storage as the primary storage and the onboard as an offline cache. If you're not comfortable with that design, the FIRE is not for you

It'll be interesting to see how many people are okay with it, but judging by its acceptance on gaming consoles which are even more limited as to sideloading, Amazon's bet is a good one. I suspect ZDNet is closer to being right than to being wrong when they say that iPod will lock up the high-end buyers, FIRE will lock up the low end, and between the two they'll crush everything caught in the middle.

(Though I *personally* think the Win8 Tablet PCs will have something to say about the high end.)
Businesses not consumers will buy the Win8 tablets in very big numbers.
ScotiaBurrell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2011, 01:45 PM   #26
Tess89
Enthusiast
Tess89 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tess89 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tess89 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tess89 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tess89 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tess89 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tess89 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tess89 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tess89 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tess89 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tess89 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
Quote:
It'll be interesting to see how many people are okay with it, but judging by its acceptance on gaming consoles which are even more limited as to sideloading, Amazon's bet is a good one.
It's tolerated on gaming consoles because there are precious few other options. We don't accept it. We deal with it.
Tess89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2011, 01:47 PM   #27
LoganK
Groupie
LoganK can name that song in three notesLoganK can name that song in three notesLoganK can name that song in three notesLoganK can name that song in three notesLoganK can name that song in three notesLoganK can name that song in three notesLoganK can name that song in three notesLoganK can name that song in three notesLoganK can name that song in three notesLoganK can name that song in three notesLoganK can name that song in three notes

Device: PRS-505,nook,Nook Color,Android
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blossom View Post
Wait no charger cable in the box? That can't be right you have to be able to charge it.
It comes with a charging cable, rather than the more ubiquitous charger with cable. The Nook Color charging cable is special, but it still works as a data cable.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JD Gumby View Post
It offers all of your browser traffic (URLs entered, clicks, form information, passwords, etc...) to Amazon by default - even SSL communications (they are basically a man-in-the-middle: it goes to them, is decrypted, then reincrypted and passed on to the destination you were intending. Same goes for the path back to you).
As I said in another thread, Silk is great if you have a high latency connection and the web site you are visiting is not optimized. Since neither of these were probably true for the tech web sites (they probably have great connections and visit their own web site), they do not see the real benefit.
LoganK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2011, 01:55 PM   #28
JoHunt
I am what I am
JoHunt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoHunt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoHunt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoHunt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoHunt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoHunt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoHunt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoHunt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoHunt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoHunt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoHunt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad3, Voyage
Another not so complimentary review:

Kindle Fire sacrifices to get under $200

Quote:
The Kindle was always an odd product name. Amazon used a verb to name a thing, raising the question: Kindle what? Now we have the answer: Kindle Fire. The Kindle Fire is the first full-color, touch-screen Kindle. It's available in the U.S. starting Monday for $199.

A price like that for what's essentially a small iPad is bound to light the flames of desire this holiday season. I want to cool those down a bit, or some of you will buy the Fire and feel burned.
http://news.yahoo.com/review-kindle-...050342124.html
JoHunt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2011, 01:58 PM   #29
Zoshka
Connoisseur
Zoshka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zoshka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zoshka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zoshka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zoshka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zoshka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zoshka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zoshka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zoshka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zoshka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zoshka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3 & 4, Nook Tablet
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScotiaBurrell View Post
I say that this replaces the ipod touches and other ebook readers, and not that it replaces the iPad.
I think the ipod touch is superior for gaming, with all the apps and an easier screen to hold for games, as well as the retina display. Plus you can pop it in a pocket, so it's more portable as an anywhere device, and of course you can store all your music on it easily, without the need for cloud wifi.

I don't think it replaces other ereaders either. As one of the reviews pointed out, most people won't want to read on an LCD for hours at a time (as Kindle enthusiasts and Amazon itself continually pointed out to criticize tablets, until now). Then the new eink devices, including the K4, are featherweight and small and are actually nice to look at. I agree with the Pogue review in that respect, that Amazon made great ereaders with the new Kindles but not a great tablet.
The price drop and recent update to increase speed/font clarity on the Nook Touch also make it a compelling choice, and the Sony also seems a decent choice, now that they've dropped their price a bit.

The losers will be all the ereaders that aren't Kindle/Nook/Kobo/Sony, since it simply won't be worth it to manufacture something to compete with a price point around $100. The other crapware Android tablets will also be the losers, except for the Nook Tablet if it's of good quality, especially if Amazon comes out with a larger Fire with better performance and storage. But by that time the ipad 3 will be coming out and perhaps a large ipod touch or mini ipad with a retina display to compete with the Fire, and then things will really get interesting.
Zoshka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2011, 02:06 PM   #30
SCION
Séduisant
SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox Note Air2+; Kobo Libra2; Kindle Scribe, Oasis3; iPad Mini6
Quote:
Originally Posted by joehunt View Post
Another not so complimentary review:

Kindle Fire sacrifices to get under $200

http://news.yahoo.com/review-kindle-...050342124.html
Quote:
But it has to be weighed against the competition. When you do that, it becomes apparent just how spare Amazon had to keep the device to limbo under that $200 price level.
What competition? Why is it constantly compared to devices that cost more? Much of the criticisms could have been written right after the press event. Are people genuinely shocked?

Last edited by SCION; 11-14-2011 at 02:09 PM.
SCION is offline   Reply With Quote