Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 04-06-2011, 05:13 PM   #16
bhartman36
Wizard
bhartman36 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bhartman36 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bhartman36 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bhartman36 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bhartman36 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bhartman36 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bhartman36 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bhartman36 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bhartman36 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bhartman36 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bhartman36 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3 Wi-Fi, Craig CMP738a Android Tablet
Quote:
Originally Posted by Poppaea View Post
No offense taken. I was asking.

But is this really a relevant argument? When I'd be out of job or something like that I would not necessarily buy a gadget. But when I do buy one, I have a job and then I would not consider it terribly expensive. I'd probably have to save up for it for two or three month, maybe even longer, but for those who have to worry about their food bill there is the library.
I see your point there. For those in financial difficulty, an e-reader isn't much of a concern. I got my Kindle 3 by selling my old Kindle and using birthday money, but in my current financial situation, I'd be thinking long and hard before buying one.
bhartman36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2011, 05:19 PM   #17
kindlekitten
Professional Adventuress
kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Olympic Peninsula on the OTHER Washington! (the big green clean one on the west coast!)
Device: Kindle, the original! Times Two! and gifting an International Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by bhartman36 View Post
I've noticed that with artificial light, too. If a lamp is just over my shoulder, I might get a small reflection off the plastic on the Kindle. But I think the commercial actually illustrates the situation pretty well: With an LCD screen (and I've seen this with the phones I've used outside, as well as my tablet) bright sunlight washes the screen out, making it very hard to read. With the Kindle (and other e-ink readers), bright sunlight is your friend. It's different from reading under a lamp, because the light isn't as concentrated.

That's just what I've experienced, anyway.

I still find it most surprising that someone would pay $140 for sunglasses. Amazon only has a few pairs that expensive on their website.
I've paid that and more for a couple of pair of sunglasses, but they were pretty specialized for skiing
kindlekitten is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-06-2011, 05:22 PM   #18
Poppaea
Lucifer's Bat
Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2
Quote:
I see your point there. For those in financial difficulty, an e-reader isn't much of a concern. I got my Kindle 3 by selling my old Kindle and using birthday money, but in my current financial situation, I'd be thinking long and hard before buying one.
See, I'd probably try to buy one, if I were broke to save money on books and not have the feeling to be depraved of a good time. When I went back to school to learn a new profession a couple of years ago I was really tight on money and had to watch my expenses extremely. Still I joined the most expensive gym in town (120€ per month, which was 10% of my income) to have a wonderful place to spend my freetime. It was better than a luxury holiday and I could enjoy it each day, which I did.

In all those two years I never spent money on other things as I had no chance to do so. They invited us to the cinema from time to time, we had parties there, had a salsa dance instructor...

Same now with the reader. I do feel richer with it than ever before. I do get lots of books from the Singapore Library and stopped to spend on silly books.

For me the reader is money well spent.
Poppaea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2011, 06:31 PM   #19
hrynkiw
Connoisseur
hrynkiw doesn't litterhrynkiw doesn't litter

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 10, iPhone, iPad
Quote:
Originally Posted by Poppaea View Post
Can someone please tell me, why I always read the readers are expensive? (...)

I don't get it. My 350 cost 180€ thats 255$ which is a lot more than you pay in the States for it (its 129$ in the US) and I still don't think it is expensive. With all the freebies and deals there is no need to buy a lot of books so it saves me some in the long run.

(...)

So please, do tell me, why you think it is expensive! I really wanna know!
My guess would be that people making that sort of comment aren't considering your/our entire book-buying budget. They see it in terms of "I can buy the book for $30, but you paid five (or more) times that to buy a gizmo to do the same thing -- and you have to buy the book as well."

They also aren't factoring in the convenience of carrying a very large library in your (okay, moderately large) pocket. Or of being able to buy books while on-the-go. Or that e-books are (usually) quite a bit cheaper than DTB. Or the dictionary look-up. Or the ease of following footnote links to the footnote and back.

And they certainly aren't including the coolness factor.
hrynkiw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2011, 06:33 PM   #20
bhartman36
Wizard
bhartman36 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bhartman36 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bhartman36 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bhartman36 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bhartman36 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bhartman36 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bhartman36 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bhartman36 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bhartman36 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bhartman36 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bhartman36 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kindlekitten View Post
I've paid that and more for a couple of pair of sunglasses, but they were pretty specialized for skiing
I'm not surprised that sunglasses that expensive exist (or else, why make that claim in the commercial?). What kind of specialization is necessary for skiing sunglasses? (Hope I'm not taking the topic too far off. )
Advert
Old 04-06-2011, 07:52 PM   #21
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by fleaaaaaa View Post
Hey I am actually a sony reader owner but I watched a lot of the kindle adverts and some things I just didn't think I would dare do with my reader. One advert has a dog licking a kindle, I'm sure it wouldn't do it any harm but I wouldn't let the dog do that, just in case. Another advert showed two people reading a kindle on the beach, I'm just not sure I would take my reader there. It's expensive and unless someone is there to watch it, (really watch it! Not falling asleep) I am not sure I could leave it and go to swim like I would a paper book. Anyway, thoughts?
They are using the K3 without a cover and putting it in a back pocket. Well, that's deceptively bad advertising for what will soon be a broken K3.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2011, 08:09 PM   #22
Pomtroll
Guru
Pomtroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pomtroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pomtroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pomtroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pomtroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pomtroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pomtroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pomtroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pomtroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pomtroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pomtroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony 350, Sony T1, Kindle Touch, Kindle PW1
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
They are using the K3 without a cover and putting it in a back pocket. Well, that's deceptively bad advertising for what will soon be a broken K3.
Now this I can agree with & was my first thought when I saw some of the commercials for Kindles. I would not try taking my kindle anywhere without a cover & certainly would not put it in my pocket. Wouldn't do that with my Sony 350 either.
Pomtroll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2011, 09:53 PM   #23
kindlekitten
Professional Adventuress
kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Olympic Peninsula on the OTHER Washington! (the big green clean one on the west coast!)
Quote:
I'm not surprised that sunglasses that expensive exist (or else, why make that claim in the commercial?). What kind of specialization is necessary for skiing sunglasses? (Hope I'm not taking the topic too far off. )
different colored lenses, vents, padded lenses, high impact resistant
Old 04-06-2011, 10:06 PM   #24
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pomtroll View Post
Now this I can agree with & was my first thought when I saw some of the commercials for Kindles. I would not try taking my kindle anywhere without a cover & certainly would not put it in my pocket. Wouldn't do that with my Sony 350 either.
Even with a cover, there's a higher risk of damage in a pocket. Especially a back pocket. Take away the cover and the risk rises even more. So Amazon showing this is doing a disservice to customers.
Old 04-06-2011, 10:11 PM   #25
kindlekitten
Professional Adventuress

Quote:
Even with a cover, there's a higher risk of damage in a pocket. Especially a back pocket. Take away the cover and the risk rises even more. So Amazon showing this is doing a disservice to customers.
don't forget your suspenders to back up your belt on your britches there
Old 04-06-2011, 10:43 PM   #26
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by kindlekitten View Post
don't forget your suspenders to back up your belt on your britches there
So lets see you take your Kindle and put it in your back pocket without a cover and we'll see how long it lasts.

I think you just don't get how the screen works and how glass works.
Old 04-06-2011, 10:43 PM   #27
wvcherrybomb
Sharp Shootin' Grandma
wvcherrybomb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wvcherrybomb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wvcherrybomb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wvcherrybomb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wvcherrybomb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wvcherrybomb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wvcherrybomb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wvcherrybomb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wvcherrybomb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wvcherrybomb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wvcherrybomb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kindle Fire, Literati (has been adopted by my daughter)
My K3 has reservations for a week of camping at the beach Memorial Day. Glad this subject came up as it reminded me to order this from my wish list.

I'm getting it to protect from sand more than water since I won't be near the water with it. It will be nicer than my current Ziploc for the bath though.
wvcherrybomb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2011, 10:47 PM   #28
kindlekitten
Professional Adventuress

Quote:
So lets see you take your Kindle and put it in your back pocket without a cover and we'll see how long it lasts.

I think you just don't get how the screen works and how glass works.
yeah I do. I OWN kindles. I've skied with them, camped with them, slept with and on them, traveled with them. DROPPED them, had cats chew on them, my 185 pound dog step on them.

we got it here. go haunt the Sony forum
Old 04-07-2011, 12:18 AM   #29
GoSharks
SQUIRREL!!
GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K-Fire, PW2, PW3
Quote:
Seriously? It's a commercial for crying out loud, lighten up. Would it make you happy if they put the standard disclaimer at the end like a car commercial... something akin to - "These are paid e-book reading professionals on a closed beach, don't try this at home kiddies"? I think they are just trying to show that the product is small in size and light weight....and I'm really okay if they imply that reading is "hip", maybe more people will read! Perhaps Ford should be sure to tell everyone that they really shouldn't drive their Explorer up the side of Mt. Everest!
Besides, if someone does put their Kindle into a back pocket and breaks it, it seems to me that Amazon's customer service has shown itself to be terrific about replacing broken Kindles.
I / We get that you don't like Amazon and for some reason you find the Kindle deficient. Great! You have a Sony and like it. Again great! Maybe you missed the adage about "if you've got nothing good to say....."(and it doesn't end with "say it on the Kindle forum"!).
GoSharks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2011, 12:48 AM   #30
bhartman36
Wizard

I've got a Kindle 3. I love mine. But that doesn't mean that's a good commercial. They're obviously trying to show how portable and easy to take with you the Kindle is. Fair enough, but I think they're exaggerating. And the thing is, it's not like a car commercial. There's no obvious hyperbole involved. Frankly, I don't understand why they put such things in the commercial in the first place. Someone might, conceivably, put the Kindle in a drawer without a cover, but let their dog lick it? Put it in their back pocket? Those seem to be such odd use scenarios that I don't even know why they bothered. Tossing it on the bed, or accidentally getting cereal on it are at least things I could see happening, but the others almost seem like dares.

Last edited by bhartman36; 04-07-2011 at 09:25 AM.

Tags
beach, kindle, reader