Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Lounge

Notices

View Poll Results: What browser are you using?
Firefox 3 37 43.53%
Firefox 2 33 38.82%
Internet Explorer 7 16 18.82%
Opera 6 7.06%
Safari 4 4.71%
Netscape 0 0%
Older Internet Explorer 5 5.88%
Browser on Mobile Device (Safari, Pocket IE, Opera, Minimo, etc) 5 5.88%
Some other Browser who's Name I Can't spell 1 1.18%
None of the above (And then I'm really curious how you are answering this poll) 2 2.35%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 85. You may not vote on this poll

Old 06-11-2008, 05:48 PM   #16
Azayzel
Cache Ninja!
Azayzel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Azayzel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Azayzel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Azayzel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Azayzel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Azayzel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Azayzel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Azayzel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Azayzel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Azayzel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Azayzel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-500, HTC Shift, iPod Touch, iPaq 4150, TC1100, Panasonic WordsGear
Sweet! I'll check it out (and put it to use ). Thanks for the link!
Azayzel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2008, 05:52 PM   #17
bbusybookworm
Tech Junkie
bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'

Device: iPad, MotoXStyle, OnePlusOne
Azayzel, glad to bring FF back to your notice.

Just keep in mind that the more extensions you have loaded, the more memory its going to need, and some of the ones that are not that well written can cause memory problems even in FF3.

And agree Piclens is great. the only problem I run into is that if you want to save a picture, or go to another tab, you need to drop out of the view, and you end up on the original page, even if you have gone a long way beyond when browsing.
bbusybookworm is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-11-2008, 09:12 PM   #18
montsnmags
Grand Sorcerer
montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Firefox 2

Add-ons:

Adblock Plus (first off the rank - don't leave home without it)
add-art (works with Adblock Plus to replace the blocked adds with art)
Exif Viewer (allows a right-click to get exif info from online photos if available)
Foxmarks Bookmark Synchronizer (as previously mentioned by others)
PicLens (also as previously mentioned - occasionally makes me sea sick)
ScribeFire ("A full-featured blog editor that integrates with your browser...")

Cheers,
Marc
montsnmags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2008, 01:03 AM   #19
GeoffC
Chocolate Grasshopper ...
GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Muse HD , Cybook Gen3 , Pocketbook 302 (Black) , Nexus 10: wife has PW
I'm shocked at y'all - you mean you browse other places as well as MobileRead...
GeoffC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2008, 02:39 PM   #20
tirsales
MIA ... but returning som
tirsales ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tirsales ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tirsales ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tirsales ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tirsales ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tirsales ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tirsales ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tirsales ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tirsales ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tirsales ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tirsales ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505 and *Really* not owning a PRS-700
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoffC View Post
I'm shocked at y'all - you mean you browse other places as well as MobileRead...
Heck no. We just pretend to do so to fool innocent bystanders.
tirsales is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-12-2008, 06:49 PM   #21
axel77
Fanatic
axel77 has learned how to read e-booksaxel77 has learned how to read e-booksaxel77 has learned how to read e-booksaxel77 has learned how to read e-booksaxel77 has learned how to read e-booksaxel77 has learned how to read e-booksaxel77 has learned how to read e-booksaxel77 has learned how to read e-books

Device: iliad
I like my Firefox2 a lot. I installed FF3 already, but somehow don't like it. It sometimes hangs, and I don't the new zoom breaks some of my apps.

The most important extension I can no longer live without is del.icio.us. I installed it, because I searched for any bookmark sync, since I work on 4 different desktops this got soon nasty, "where was that bookmark... Oh I bookmarked it on the other PC :-/"... Now I got used to the muli-tagging style instead of the classic treelike bookmarking I love it.

I like also recently learned to fast-dial

And of course firebug is a superb tool for web development.
axel77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2008, 01:54 PM   #22
GeoffC
Chocolate Grasshopper ...
GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Muse HD , Cybook Gen3 , Pocketbook 302 (Black) , Nexus 10: wife has PW
Chicago (IL) - Mozilla has set June 17 as the official release day for Firefox 3. The introduction of the new browser marks the beginning of a race for the title of the fastest browser on the market. With more than one million people already pledged to download Firefox 3 on the first day of its release, Firefox 3 could set a Guinness World Record as the most downloaded software with the first 24 hours of launch.
GeoffC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2008, 02:00 PM   #23
RickyMaveety
Holy S**T!!!
RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.

Device: Kindle and iPad
Since the poll asked ... I'm using Maxthon. It is none of the above, and it works just dandy.
RickyMaveety is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2008, 07:45 AM   #24
Alexander Turcic
Fully Converged
Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Too many to count here.
FF3 RC2 (lovin' it!)

Addons (always active):
Dom Inspector
Flashgot
InspectThis
MinimizeToTray
PDF Download
ProxyButton
View Cookies
Azerty III (icon theme)

Addons (usually inactive):
Download Statusbar
Firebug
HttpFox
SQLite Manager
User Agent Switcher
Web Developer
Live Http headers
Password Exporter
Alexander Turcic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2008, 08:01 AM   #25
zelda_pinwheel
zeldinha zippy zeldissima
zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: eb1150 & is that a nook in her pocket, or she just happy to see you?
i've got to stop following this thread or my list of plug-ins is going to grow exponentially.

and *then* the memory use will *really* get out of hand.
zelda_pinwheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2008, 09:56 PM   #26
DMcCunney
New York Editor
DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PalmTX, Pocket eDGe, Alcatel Fierce 4, RCA Viking Pro 10, Nexus 7
I run FF3 RC2 as my "production" browser. the biggest challenge was finding updates to my preferred extensions that worked on it.

Back in the FF 1.X days, I had an "Everything including the kitchen sink" profile that loaded 115 extensions. It was mostly a test to see if I could, and it actually worked. It did take 45 seconds to load and initialize...

These days, I'm a lot more minimalist, and periodically look at what I have installed and ask "Am I actually using this one?". If not, I uninstall it.

My current selection is the following, with some commentary: (Click on the extension name to visit the home page.)
Enabled Extensions: [17]
- All-in-One Sidebar 0.7.5
Enhanced functionality for the Sidebar, including hide/reveal and integration of other functions, like displaying Add-0ns and Downloads in the sidebar.

- Better Gmail 2 0.5
A collection of tweaks for GMail, based on a combo of several other extensions.

- CustomizeGoogle 0.72
A collection of tweaks for Google.

- CuteMenus - Crystal SVG 1.8.2.1
Icons for just about every menu item in Firefox.

- Dict 0.6.71
Access to dict servers. Highlight a word, right click, select Define, and get a definition back from your preferred dict server.

- Firebug 1.2.0b3
JavaScript console on steroids, with comprehensive debugging facilities. (My employer is a streaming video shop, and everyone uses it in development.)

- Gmail Notifier 0.6.3.4.1
A notifier for new GMail, with auto-login ability.

- Greasemonkey 0.8.20080609.0
Allows you to run arbitrary JavaScript (known as UserScripts) on pages loaded into the browser. UserScripts can be specific to pages, domains, or global, and are triggered when the page is loaded.

- Image Zoom 0.3.1
Image zoom control I wish was built into FF to begin with.

- MR Tech Toolkit 6.0a29
An extension to help manage extensions and themes. Includes the ability to automatically save a local copy of the XPI when you install a these or extension. This list was produced with it.

- NoScript 1.6.9
Security tool for Firefox. Blocks all Javascript execution, unless the site is in a whitelist you maintain. Can also block Java, Flash, and Silverlight.

- Prism for Firefox 0.2
A utility to generate shortcuts that can run a desired web page in Prism.

- Sage-Too 1.0.0
My preferred RSS reader extension.

- SpiderZilla 1.6.0
A utility to download websites using httrack (included in the extension). Go to a page, select Tools/Download this website, and a mirror of the page and links from is is created on your local drive.

- Stylish 0.5.7
Greasemonkey for CSS. Allows you to apply arbitrary CSS rules (called USerStyles) to pages, domains, or globally. Changes are seen immediately, and don't require a browser restart.

- Tab Mix Plus 0.3.6.1.080416
Comprehensive control over tab functions. If you want to force everything to open in a new FF tab, Tab Mix Plus is your friend.

- Web Developer 1.1.6
A comprehensive set of tools for web developers, including links to code validators to check syntax and standards compliance.

A few notes on the above:
One of the problems with Firefox updates is extensions that don't work. Often, the extension will work, but FF doesn't know that. Each extension includes an install file that tells FF what to do with it, and the install file has fields which contain the oldest and newest version of FF the extension works with. A new version of FF may be released, but the extension developer hasn't updated the install file. The extension will work, but the FF version is outside the range specified in the install file, and FF says "incompatible" and won't install it. The MR Tech Toolkit lets you disable version checking when installing an extension, so you can install extensions FF thinks aren't compatible. They may actually be incompatible if FF has changed enough (FF3 changed some APIs and broke some older extensions), but you can at least test them and use them if they do work.

Lost of folks like AdBlock Plus. I don't. I use Stylish and custom CSS instead. Part of AdBlock is "Filterset P", a set of custom CSS rules that defines various things as adds. Things defined in Filterset P simply aren't rendered by Firefox when the page is displayed. AdBlock goes farther, actively scanning the page for things that might be ads and letting you further define things, as wll as blocking ad content from being downloaded in the first place. I have a fast broadband connection, and don't care about the bandwidth. I do care about the additional overhead involved in actively scanning every page. I'm not interested in eliminating all ads (especially those relevant to what I'm doing.) I simply want to clean up ad heavy sites toi make them readable. Stylish enables Filterset P, and the CSS does fine.

One of the core components of Firefox is the Gecko rendering engine. Gecko is used by all Mozilla products, including FF, Thunderbird, Sunbird, SeaMonkey and NVU, and a copy is included with each program. Gecko understands and renders HTML and CSS and interprets JavaScript. It also understands and renders XUL (pronounced "zool"), and XML language for creating user interfaces. When you run FF, the program you see on your screen is defined by XUL, CSS, and graphic elements, with JavaScript providing the functionality.

One of the current efforts by Mozilla's developers is to break out teh Gecko engine as a stand-alone runtime called XUL Runner. Instead of have Gecko included with every Mozilla program, you would have one copy, and Firefox would simply be an instance of something it rendered. This will make it possible for Gecko to underlie things that aren't browsers. There are already a few programs based on Gecko, like the Songbird cross-platform media player, and ActiveState's Komodo programmer's IDE. This will make that simpler.

One of the fruits of the effort is Prism, a lightweight version of Gecko designed designed to render specific pages. The extension mentioned above creates a shortcut on your desktop for the page you use it on, letting you click the shortcut and view the page without the overhead of the full browser. I use it here to display my router's config page and to open up GMail, without having to run full FF3 to do it. See http://labs.mozilla.com/2007/10/prism/ for more Prism info and downloads.

One annoyance with FF3: in FF3, Mozilla moved away from bookmarks.html, and went to an sqlite database called places.sqlite as the container for bookmarks. This broke an important feature for me. I have multiple Firefox profiles defined, as well as installed versions of SeaMonkey and Netscape. I want them all to use the same bookmarks file, so adds and changes I make in one browser show in the others. In FF2 and before, that was easy. Firefox kept the location of the bookmarks file on the prefs.js file in the profile directory. Prefs.js is maintained by the browser and should not be manually edited. If a user.js file exists in the profile directory, things defined in it will override what is in prefs.js. A one-line user.js file, copied into each profile directory, specifying the bookmarks file I want to use did the trick. (Things could get hairy if I had more than one browser active at once - which wins when an update is made? -- but in practice, I don't do that.)

FF3 provides no way to specify a copy of places.sqlite to use, and the Mozilla devs have no intention of addressing this. Since I run XP, with NTFS 5, I have a work around: I can create a hard link in each profile directory to the desired places.sqlite file. The same can be done in Linux. But it's a PITA to have to, and requires technical knowledge most users wont have. Ah, well.
______
Dennis
DMcCunney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2008, 10:21 AM   #27
daffy4u
I'm Super Kindle-icious
daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KDXG, KT, Oasis
In case anyone is interested, today is International Download Day for FF3. They are trying to set the Guinness World Record for the most downloads in a 24 hour period. Downloading begins at 10 AM Pacific time (which is in just under 3 hours after this post).

Link to local download times around the world.
daffy4u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2008, 10:34 AM   #28
pshrynk
Beepbeep n beebeep, yeah!
pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iThingie, KmkII, I miss Zelda!
Okay. Just so I can show my uber Luddite cred: What is Firefox?
pshrynk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2008, 10:37 AM   #29
zelda_pinwheel
zeldinha zippy zeldissima
zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: eb1150 & is that a nook in her pocket, or she just happy to see you?
Quote:
Originally Posted by daffy4u View Post
In case anyone is interested, today is International Download Day for FF3. They are trying to set the Guinness World Record for the most downloads in a 24 hour period. Downloading begins at 10 AM Pacific time (which is in just under 3 hours after this post).

Link to local download times around the world.
finally, a cause i can believe in !! i've pledged. my finger is hovering over the download button even as we speak. i hope i don't get a cramp sitting like this for 3 hours. bloody time zones.
zelda_pinwheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2008, 10:37 AM   #30
daffy4u
I'm Super Kindle-icious
daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KDXG, KT, Oasis
Quote:
Originally Posted by pshrynk View Post
Okay. Just so I can show my uber Luddite cred: What is Firefox?
A web browser.
daffy4u is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
extensions, firefox, firesomething, tabs