Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

View Poll Results: Is you sony reader affected by Ghosting ?
Yes, I do see something 72 62.07%
No, even when looking carefully, the screen is clear 35 30.17%
N/A 9 7.76%
Voters: 116. You may not vote on this poll

Old 10-18-2010, 02:04 AM   #16
SkyDream
Wizard
SkyDream can eat soup with a fork.SkyDream can eat soup with a fork.SkyDream can eat soup with a fork.SkyDream can eat soup with a fork.SkyDream can eat soup with a fork.SkyDream can eat soup with a fork.SkyDream can eat soup with a fork.SkyDream can eat soup with a fork.SkyDream can eat soup with a fork.SkyDream can eat soup with a fork.SkyDream can eat soup with a fork.

Device: PRS-650, iPod touch 4G, iPad 3
Got the same problem a few days ago.
Now every few pages i got a mix of the actual and the previous page. It goes away when i go back one page then forward. But it's get very annoying.

Think i'm going to open a case at Sony Support.
SkyDream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2010, 03:39 AM   #17
Iridal
Mysteriarch
Iridal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iridal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iridal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iridal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iridal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iridal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iridal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iridal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iridal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iridal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iridal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 4, Kindle 3
I've noticed some ghosting as well, but it really doesn't bother me. I'm usually pretty emerged in the story so I hardly ever notice it. If I do notice it I know it's time to put that book aside and start reading something a little more interesting
Iridal is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-18-2010, 11:39 AM   #18
SkyDream
Wizard
SkyDream can eat soup with a fork.SkyDream can eat soup with a fork.SkyDream can eat soup with a fork.SkyDream can eat soup with a fork.SkyDream can eat soup with a fork.SkyDream can eat soup with a fork.SkyDream can eat soup with a fork.SkyDream can eat soup with a fork.SkyDream can eat soup with a fork.SkyDream can eat soup with a fork.SkyDream can eat soup with a fork.

Device: PRS-650, iPod touch 4G, iPad 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iridal View Post
I've noticed some ghosting as well, but it really doesn't bother me. I'm usually pretty emerged in the story so I hardly ever notice it. If I do notice it I know it's time to put that book aside and start reading something a little more interesting
Maybe you are not really affected.
When it shows up on my 650 the actual page is somewhat mixed with the previous one. It's not easy then to read on as it's hard to differentiate between the pages. Don't believe you could just read on as nothing happened.
SkyDream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2010, 03:32 PM   #19
etienne66
Groupie
etienne66 knows what is on the back of the AURYN.etienne66 knows what is on the back of the AURYN.etienne66 knows what is on the back of the AURYN.etienne66 knows what is on the back of the AURYN.etienne66 knows what is on the back of the AURYN.etienne66 knows what is on the back of the AURYN.etienne66 knows what is on the back of the AURYN.etienne66 knows what is on the back of the AURYN.etienne66 knows what is on the back of the AURYN.etienne66 knows what is on the back of the AURYN.etienne66 knows what is on the back of the AURYN.

Device: Kindle 2, PRS-600 Black, PRS-650 Red, Adam w/ Pixel Qi(pre-ordered)
I've had ghosting on occasion and the reader, PRS-650, has acted very sluggish at the same time. The ghosting is so severe that it isn't possible to read. I've found if I turn it off and on again it clears it up. I don't see it very often and I don't know what the trigger is. I normally just put it to sleep so I suspect it is some sort of memory leak.

Etienne66
etienne66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2010, 09:27 AM   #20
Trini
Connoisseur
Trini ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Trini ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Trini ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Trini ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Trini ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Trini ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Trini ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Trini ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Trini ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Trini ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Trini ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: sony prs650
This happened to me yesterday for the first time. The previous page was mixed into the current page like a watermark making it difficult to read. The reader was also a bit sluggish. If I didn't hear about this issue on mobileread previously I would've seriously freaked out. My brand new (first) ereader!!

Anyway I had to end up turning it off for a bit. It was fine after that. However my brother probably wasn't too impressed. I was boasting that my reader was better for reading books that his tablet when I had to run off to fix the ghosting problem. Ha

I pray that this issue doesn't happen again (or very rarely).
Trini is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-19-2010, 01:20 PM   #21
Bilbo1967
Not scared!
Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 10, Huawei M5 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by etienne66 View Post
I've had ghosting on occasion and the reader, PRS-650, has acted very sluggish at the same time. The ghosting is so severe that it isn't possible to read. I've found if I turn it off and on again it clears it up. I don't see it very often and I don't know what the trigger is. I normally just put it to sleep so I suspect it is some sort of memory leak.

Etienne66
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trini View Post
This happened to me yesterday for the first time. The previous page was mixed into the current page like a watermark making it difficult to read. The reader was also a bit sluggish. If I didn't hear about this issue on mobileread previously I would've seriously freaked out. My brand new (first) ereader!!

Anyway I had to end up turning it off for a bit. It was fine after that. However my brother probably wasn't too impressed. I was boasting that my reader was better for reading books that his tablet when I had to run off to fix the ghosting problem. Ha

I pray that this issue doesn't happen again (or very rarely).
Happened to me for the first time yesterday - exactly as Trini described - making the text on the page almost impossible to read.

I have tried turning it off (not shutting down) and on again (seems to work most times, but the problem returns after anything from 1 to 10 page turns), I have tried hitting and cancelling the 'options' button (almost never makes any difference) and I have tried flipping forwards or backwards a number of pages (sometimes works, but again only for a few page turns if it does).

Anybody have any bright ideas for curing this, or do I need to return it for a new one?
Bilbo1967 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2010, 08:32 AM   #22
simonbcn
Simón
simonbcn began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-650 / Papyre 6.1
Hi,
My Sony PRS-650 has this problem too. Is this a problem of firmware or hardware?
Should I change my PRS-650?
simonbcn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2010, 08:45 AM   #23
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
I had this problem on a PRS-600; the screen would randomly stop erasing the previous page, and the new page just overlaid the old, rapidly resulting in unreadable garbage. Sony repaired it under warranty.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2010, 08:50 AM   #24
simonbcn
Simón

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
I had this problem on a PRS-600; the screen would randomly stop erasing the previous page, and the new page just overlaid the old, rapidly resulting in unreadable garbage. Sony repaired it under warranty.
I think it isn't the same problem. Here the problem isn't random, it occurs always.
Old 10-28-2010, 06:04 PM   #25
simonbcn
Simón

Has Sony said something at respect?
I'm in time to return my Sony and I don't sure if I do it.
By other hand, others users of Sony readers (previous models) have said me that Sony doesn't release new firmware unless it's forced to do so for its convenience (like the change from LRF to EPUB).
I'm doubtful.
Old 11-09-2010, 07:57 AM   #26
pendragginp
Guru
pendragginp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pendragginp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pendragginp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pendragginp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pendragginp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pendragginp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pendragginp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pendragginp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pendragginp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pendragginp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pendragginp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Several
I'm having this problem with the 650 too. It began last night, and as others have said it makes reading the book impossible. I've tried all the suggestions, but nothing works for more than one page turn.

Skydream, have you heard anything back from Sony Support?
pendragginp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2010, 08:47 AM   #27
simonbcn
Simón

Quote:
Originally Posted by pendragginp View Post
In this Spanish forum, an employee of FNAC is reporting the problem to Sony.
Sony, through him, has asked us several data about our PRS-650.
Hope this helps.
Old 11-09-2010, 08:56 AM   #28
Bilbo1967
Not scared!
Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 10, Huawei M5 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by pendragginp View Post
I'm having this problem with the 650 too. It began last night, and as others have said it makes reading the book impossible. I've tried all the suggestions, but nothing works for more than one page turn.

I have found that shutting the unit down (as opposed to turning it off) seems to do the trick. I have had to do this just once in the last 3 and a half weeks).
Bilbo1967 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2010, 09:54 AM   #29
lack
Zealot
lack has never been to obedience school.lack has never been to obedience school.lack has never been to obedience school.lack has never been to obedience school.lack has never been to obedience school.lack has never been to obedience school.lack has never been to obedience school.lack has never been to obedience school.lack has never been to obedience school.lack has never been to obedience school.lack has never been to obedience school.

Device: PRS-650
I do see some ghosting, when going from "eink intensive" page to the less intensive one
But nothing unbearable. I've just had the device for not a week though.
@pendragginp, @Skydream: Would you please attach some images?
lack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2010, 10:17 AM   #30
simonbcn
Simón

Quote:
Originally Posted by lack View Post
Would you please attach some images?
Hi,
Here I put some image links where you can see this problem:
  1. Right image: http://img193.imageshack.us/img193/2200/81763158.jpg
  2. Initial menu: http://img841.imageshack.us/img841/5690/71059004.jpg
  3. Image, open from this menu, with error (Look at the top right corner): http://img801.imageshack.us/img801/1258/78555418.jpg

Tests with the testghost.pdf: