Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

View Poll Results: Which colour Kindle 3G are you ordering?
White 14 10.37%
Graphite 121 89.63%
Voters: 135. You may not vote on this poll

Old 08-01-2010, 04:14 AM   #16
thinkpad
David
thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle, E.Edge (sold), Irex Iliad (retired)
I find this very strange, why would Amazon restrict to which countries it's sending the different colours. If the devices are spot on similar why restrict colour? Can it have something to do with different factories and logistics for the different colours.
thinkpad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2010, 06:32 AM   #17
bob1xxx
Zealot
bob1xxx has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.bob1xxx has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.bob1xxx has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.bob1xxx has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.bob1xxx has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: kindle k3 and k2 and White Aluratek Libre Pro
Wink I like white

Quote:
Originally Posted by matt314159 View Post
Graphite for me, and I'm in the US so I have a choice. I can see the white potentially being reflective and irritating in bright environments/outdoors. The graphite just looks so...professional, I love it. I've never had a kindle before, so I might be way off on the white border being distracting in bright environments, but that was the logic I went with, after all the silver trim on my PRS-300 can get irritating at times.

Hmmmm Ive got a late model K2 in white and have had zero problems reading it out doors in daylight sun. I like white for reading in lower light situations, to my older tired eyes the white makes more readable to me (have had both black and white libre pros and like the white better) So I am most likely pre ordering white myself
bob1xxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-01-2010, 08:37 AM   #18
WT Sharpe
Bah, humbug!
WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, iPad Pro, & a Samsung Galaxy S9.
Quote:
Originally Posted by WT Sharpe View Post
I was sorely tempted to buy one or the other until I noticed that the new keyboard has no numbers or forward slash. I can live without the forward slash, but I use numbers all the time, and having to access them from the alt menu would be a pain.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alisa View Post
I thought the numbers were typed by hitting alt and the corresponding key on the top row, kind of like using your Fn key on a laptop. I didn't think it was a separate menu.
I was told in another thread that—according to the user's manual—you can hit indeed "alt" plus the corresponding top row button to produce numbers. That wouldn't be too bad. I could live with it!
WT Sharpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2010, 08:47 AM   #19
rapidblue
Connoisseur
rapidblue began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3 / Kindle Voyage / Kindle Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by WT Sharpe View Post
I was told in another thread that—according to the user's manual—you can hit indeed "alt" plus the corresponding top row button to produce numbers. That wouldn't be too bad. I could live with it!
True. Here's an extract from the Kindle 3 manual:

"While typing, you can use the top row of the keyboard to enter numbers. From left to right, starting with Q, the letters in the top row of the keyboard represent the numbers 1 through 9. The letter P represents the number 0. To enter a number: Press and hold Alt and press a letter in the top row of the keyboard. For example, Alt + Q types the number 1, and Alt + U types the number 7."
rapidblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2010, 10:27 AM   #20
WT Sharpe
Bah, humbug!
WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, iPad Pro, & a Samsung Galaxy S9.
Quote:
Originally Posted by rapidblue View Post
True. Here's an extract from the Kindle 3 manual:

"While typing, you can use the top row of the keyboard to enter numbers. From left to right, starting with Q, the letters in the top row of the keyboard represent the numbers 1 through 9. The letter P represents the number 0. To enter a number: Press and hold Alt and press a letter in the top row of the keyboard. For example, Alt + Q types the number 1, and Alt + U types the number 7."
WT Sharpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-01-2010, 02:58 PM   #21
Sydney's Mom
Wizard
Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Fire 3d Gen and 5th Gen and Samsung Tab S
I hold my K2 (not in a cover, like my K1) and I was getting fingerprints. I heard that a darker boarder might make the background look more white. So I added the skin you see. I like the feel of the skin, but I ordered the graphite. I hope I won't have to use a skin (it says it has a soft back) to provide texture so I don't drop it.
Sydney's Mom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2010, 03:26 PM   #22
Alisa
Gadget Geek
Alisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongue

Device: Paperwhite, Kindle 3 (retired), Skindle 1.2 (retired)
Quote:
Originally Posted by thinkpadx View Post
I find this very strange, why would Amazon restrict to which countries it's sending the different colours. If the devices are spot on similar why restrict colour? Can it have something to do with different factories and logistics for the different colours.
Maybe it's just a supply issue. I doubt their factories are localized to their markets. They're probably working out of manufacturing houses in China or Taiwan like virtually all consumer electronics companies. The distribution centers, though, are more localized. If their supply for this first run is somewhat limited, I can see them limiting the color choice to the countries where they expect the highest sales.
Alisa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2010, 03:27 PM   #23
TomF
Kindle Enthusiast
TomF once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.TomF once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.TomF once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.TomF once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.TomF once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.TomF once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.TomF once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.TomF once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.TomF once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.TomF once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.TomF once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: Kindle 3G Graphite, Kindle Fire
Graphite for me, but my wife chose white. She had a DecalGirl skin on her K2 that really looked great on white. She went back and looked at all of their skins again and decided that the skins she liked the most would look the best on white. And when we get them if she likes graphite better in person, she'll just return the white.
TomF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2010, 07:39 PM   #24
SensualPoet
Wizard
SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura HD, Kindle Paperwhite, Asus ZenPad 3, Kobo Glo
Graphite and White is available in Canada. I see out poll is abt 12:1 in favour of graphite.
SensualPoet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2010, 03:17 AM   #25
rapidblue
Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by SensualPoet View Post
Graphite and White is available in Canada. I see out poll is abt 12:1 in favour of graphite.
yip, graphite seems to be clear winner hey
Old 08-02-2010, 03:25 AM   #26
matt314159
Groupie
matt314159 can extract oil from cheesematt314159 can extract oil from cheesematt314159 can extract oil from cheesematt314159 can extract oil from cheesematt314159 can extract oil from cheesematt314159 can extract oil from cheesematt314159 can extract oil from cheesematt314159 can extract oil from cheese

Device: KSO, NookColor (CM7.1), Samsung Mesmerize
...because it's b-e-a-UTIFUL! I can't get over how sleek and professional the graphite looks!
matt314159 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2010, 04:15 AM   #27
rapidblue
Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by matt314159 View Post
...because it's b-e-a-UTIFUL! I can't get over how sleek and professional the graphite looks!
True, it is I originally wanted a white one but I've been won over by the graphite
Old 08-02-2010, 05:12 AM   #28
Verres
Zealot
Verres , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Verres , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Verres , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Verres , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Verres , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Verres , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Verres , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Verres , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Verres , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Verres , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Verres , Klaatu Barada Niktu!

Device: none
Well, you only get the option to choose between colours for the 3G/ Wifi model. The Wifi only Kindle is graphite only. I ordered mine in graphite because so many people with the KindleDX said the new colour helps with contrast. Also when i asked my gf about it she told me that white is sooo a thing of the past decade... So i didn't really have a choice in that matter
Verres is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2010, 05:28 AM   #29
thinkpad
David
thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle, E.Edge (sold), Irex Iliad (retired)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Verres View Post
Well, you only get the option to choose between colours for the 3G/ Wifi model. The Wifi only Kindle is graphite only.
That certainly clear things up about the colour confusion.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Verres View Post
I ordered mine in graphite because so many people with the KindleDX said the new colour helps with contrast. Also when i asked my gf about it she told me that white is sooo a thing of the past decade... So i didn't really have a choice in that matter
Perhaps if you ordered the white you would have it to yourself with the graphite one your girlfriend is going to want it.

Last edited by thinkpad; 08-02-2010 at 05:32 AM.
thinkpad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2010, 07:07 AM   #30
rapidblue
Connoisseur

I know I like the white, but I must admit that is a bit more "girly" than the graphite So maybe the graphite one will be better for my image...