Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 05-08-2009, 02:47 PM   #16
numindast
Enthusiast
numindast has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.numindast has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.numindast has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: K2, DX (had PRS500, 505, 700)
I've taken my readers with me on my daily commute (public transit) for some time. The Sony devices have held up fine with their (addon) leather covers. I've had a K2 for about 3 weeks, so far that has also held up very well, but I do use the Belkin neoprene zippered case. I wouldn't say the Kindle 2 feels any less sturdy than my Sony devices though. Both have very good build quality in my opinion. The Kindle 2 has a nicer industrial design, in my eyes -- the tapered edges, like the Macbook Air, lend it a nice profile.

As for defects, I've never had one in any of my devices, and that's the way it should be. No complaints there.
numindast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2009, 02:47 PM   #17
forkyfork
Zealot
forkyfork once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.forkyfork once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.forkyfork once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.forkyfork once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.forkyfork once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.forkyfork once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.forkyfork once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.forkyfork once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.forkyfork once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.forkyfork once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.forkyfork once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: It's a long story ;)
Quote:
Originally Posted by catsittingstill View Post
I have read at the dinner table, in the bathtub (in a ziplock bag) and while walking in the pouring rain (ditto), and I have slung the kindle in a bag and had it read to me while I pulled dandelions for 2 hours at a time.
Wow, really? I'm very tempted to use my kindle in the tub, but I'd be scared the ziploc bags aren't as handy as they say. I guess I'm a little too careful with my electronics.
forkyfork is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-10-2009, 05:34 AM   #18
kyliedork
Connoisseur
kyliedork doesn't litterkyliedork doesn't litter

Device: kindle
its asking for trouble playing in the bath with a k2, but if your a lawyer making $1000/day why not
kyliedork is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2009, 06:00 AM   #19
pboss
Evangelist
pboss will become famous soon enoughpboss will become famous soon enoughpboss will become famous soon enoughpboss will become famous soon enoughpboss will become famous soon enoughpboss will become famous soon enough

Device: none
Guys, you have to wait for a couple of years for your waterproof kindles. Currently there's no market for silly things like that. But things are going to change fast as time goes by and competition steps into the market.
pboss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2009, 02:12 PM   #20
Danariel
Enthusiast
Danariel is on a distinguished road

Device: Kindle 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by forkyfork View Post
Wow, really? I'm very tempted to use my kindle in the tub, but I'd be scared the ziploc bags aren't as handy as they say. I guess I'm a little too careful with my electronics.
In response to the last three posts:

I ordered the following product yesterday, so I can confidently take my Kindle 2 to the pool with me. I'm not planning on jumping in with it, though tests show I could. I just don't want to risk it getting splashed, or dripped on.

http://www.proporta.com/F02/PPF02P05...1090&ccur=true

I'll let you know if it fits (says it's for devices up to 8.5" by 5.5", the Kindle 2 is 8" by 5.3") and how it works. I WILL be testing the bag with tissue paper first to verify the seal integrity. I'm paranoid that way.

And in response to the OP, I carry mine (in it's Amazon leather case) everywhere I go in my leather backpack-style purse. It's in the back pocket, and I sling my purse around a bit in the car (it's even fallen off the seat into the floorboard several times) with NO issues. I also have an iPod touch in the purse, as well, and no issues there, either.

All my other electronics (Touch, cell phone) have Invisible Shields on them, but the screen cover just wouldn't work at all for the Kindle (too shiny.) I've got a skin on it from http://www.3acp.com/3acp.htm (mine is KindleSK-43, it's gorgeous!) and the ease of application is like no skin I've ever seen before!

They come with all pieces attached to a clear sheet that's about half an inch wider than the skin itself all the way around, so all you have to do is grab a friend to hold two corners, you take two corners, and line the thing up. Press it down, and peel the clear covering off. No skin oil or fingerprints under the skin itself, and the skin has little air channels to help you avoid bubbles.

Last edited by Danariel; 05-13-2009 at 02:30 PM.
Danariel is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-13-2009, 08:49 PM   #21
andrys
Explorer
andrys can load mercury with a pitchforkandrys can load mercury with a pitchforkandrys can load mercury with a pitchforkandrys can load mercury with a pitchforkandrys can load mercury with a pitchforkandrys can load mercury with a pitchforkandrys can load mercury with a pitchforkandrys can load mercury with a pitchforkandrys can load mercury with a pitchforkandrys can load mercury with a pitchforkandrys can load mercury with a pitchfork

Device: Kindles,SurfacePro2,NookColor,Pocket Edge,Samsung 10.1 Tab,S2 phone
Quote:
Originally Posted by MsAstoria View Post
And customer service with Amazon was top notch when I received one of the K2s that fades in the sunlight. They replaced it immediately and the replacement model works perfectly.
Sony going to have to up their game to be competitive with Amazon, as their reader is a good basic electronic reader, but Amazon has got the bells and whistles that makes their reader a step up model. As for the new DX model, I think it is geared more towards students and professional folks. Should be interesting to see how it does!
Right. And many don't know the Sony PRS-505 doesn't have an inline-dictionary or a searching mechanism for within a book and for an entire library, not to mention no highlighting and note-taking.

Those are serious drawbacks for me when the Kindle does have those and they work well. I also read on another forum that someone who called Sony re a reader that faded in direct sunlight was told they are meant to do that. All these companies have clueless reps as well as cluemore ones.

A case is necessary for both units if you're going to have it in movement against other objects.

- Andrys
http://kindleworld.blogspot.com
andrys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2009, 01:33 PM   #22
askenase13
askenase13 began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle DX
I find the Kindle sturdy enough, but I do NOT take it out of its leather Amazon cover. Again, treat it carefully.
askenase13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2009, 12:52 AM   #23
Danariel
Enthusiast
Danariel is on a distinguished road

Device: Kindle 2
Well, update on the Proporta Aquapac. It DOESN'T fit. It's too narrow by about half an inch (actually, probably by the thickness of the Kindle 2.) Darn it.

So, it looks like
http://trendydigital.com/index.php?m...&products_id=3

will be my next option for waterproofing my Kindle.
Danariel is offline   Reply With Quote