Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 11-11-2020, 07:34 AM   #16
vFbjgBDhV
vFbjgBDhV began at the beginning.

Device: none
How can i update dictionaries without connecting to the network?
vFbjgBDhV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2020, 09:00 AM   #17
Gone
Out of order
Gone has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Gone has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Gone has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Gone has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Gone has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Gone has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Gone has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Gone has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Gone has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Gone has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Gone has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Libra Colour
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
If you are using Windows, the best solution (IMHO) is to install 4.23 portable for use with DeDRM and 5.x as your main Calibre.
Thanks for the tip. I’m a Mac user. I check often for news of development on the GitHub page.
Gone is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-11-2020, 09:52 AM   #18
Terisa de morgan
Grand Sorcerer
Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara/Aura One/Forma,XiaoMI 5, iPad, Huawei MediaPad, YotaPhone 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
If you are using Windows, the best solution (IMHO) is to install 4.23 portable for use with DeDRM and 5.x as your main Calibre.
Not really. Unless you want something very special from release 5, I would keep 4.23 till some apprentices have mastered their tests In any case, there is no problem using 4.23 with this FW (tested).
Terisa de morgan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2020, 09:55 AM   #19
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Claude_C View Post
Thanks for the tip. I’m a Mac user. I check often for news of development on the GitHub page.
What you might be able to do is install 5.x to a different directory. Backup your settings first. I know DeDRM is not compatible, but I was running 5.x with DeDRM installed and Calibre 5.x worked. DeDRM did not. This way you can run 4.23 for DeDRM and 5.x for everything else.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2020, 09:59 AM   #20
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.
Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: All 4 Kinds: epub eink, Kindle, android eink, NxtPaper11
Have they fixed / reverted the totally appalling menu structure? My Libra is still on 4.23.x something because I found the newer FW horrible to navigate on the Original H2O. I can't test this on the H2O because I loaned it.
Quoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-11-2020, 10:08 AM   #21
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quoth View Post
Have they fixed / reverted the totally appalling menu structure? My Libra is still on 4.23.x something because I found the newer FW horrible to navigate on the Original H2O. I can't test this on the H2O because I loaned it.
With 4.24.x on my H2O, the menu structure is NOT horrible. I find it works well. I cannot say about 4.25.x as I've not yet installed it. I have to setup the patches first.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2020, 11:48 AM   #22
DrChiper
Bookish
DrChiper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrChiper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrChiper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrChiper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrChiper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrChiper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrChiper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrChiper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrChiper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrChiper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrChiper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PC, t1, t2, t3, aura 2 v1, clara HD, Libra 2, Nxtpaper 11
The "missing books" anomaly, as described here, is still present.
DrChiper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2020, 11:53 AM   #23
compurandom
Guru
compurandom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.compurandom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.compurandom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.compurandom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.compurandom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.compurandom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.compurandom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.compurandom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.compurandom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.compurandom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.compurandom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo aura h2o, kobo forma
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quoth View Post
Have they fixed / reverted the totally appalling menu structure?
I like the new structure, except for all the stuff they left out.

I've used NickelMenu to add things I want that are not available in as many places in the stock menus.

Of course, now I'm struggling with menus that have too much in them. Sigh. Might have to rearrange them to help that.
compurandom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2020, 12:51 PM   #24
compurandom
Guru
compurandom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.compurandom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.compurandom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.compurandom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.compurandom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.compurandom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.compurandom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.compurandom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.compurandom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.compurandom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.compurandom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo aura h2o, kobo forma
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidfor View Post
  • In a kepub, an icon is displayed in the margin for all annotations.
Played with this. I like it, I think, although I don't use annotations a lot.

I greatly like tapping on highlights rather than longpress -- wish it worked in epubs too.

I tried adding ShowNoteIndicators=false to both Reading and ReadingSettings and it had no effect, icon still showed up, so maybe that's not related?
compurandom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2020, 05:02 PM   #25
Terisa de morgan
Grand Sorcerer
Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara/Aura One/Forma,XiaoMI 5, iPad, Huawei MediaPad, YotaPhone 2
Just a comment, when has Kobo eReader.conf moved from .kobo to .kobo/Kobo? Do you know?
Terisa de morgan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2020, 05:18 PM   #26
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Libra Colour, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Quote:
Originally Posted by Terisa de morgan View Post
Just a comment, when has Kobo eReader.conf moved from .kobo to .kobo/Kobo? Do you know?
Close to 8 years from one of my old backups from Jan., 2013. OTOH, I don't remember it ever being in any other location.

Edit a quick search for ".kobo/Kobo/Kobo ereader.conf" site:mobileread.com on Google hit this thread from 2012: Kobo Reader Settings Tweaks so back to 2012 as a minimum.

Last edited by DNSB; 11-11-2020 at 05:25 PM. Reason: Added search on MobileRead results
DNSB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2020, 06:27 PM   #27
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
Quote:
Originally Posted by compurandom View Post
Played with this. I like it, I think, although I don't use annotations a lot.

I greatly like tapping on highlights rather than longpress -- wish it worked in epubs too.
I do use annotations a lot, and making it easier to see them is a good idea. But, this is just not working for me. My reaction in the beta list to this was:
Quote:
Found it. My reaction is: "OH GOD NO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!" The text is highlighted, which is an extremely clear indication that I have an annotation or highlight. And the text is underlined if there is an actual note. Nothing more is needed and it just clutters the interface. Tapping it does display the note. Which is OK. But, it covers the highlighted text.

If you want to do this, display the note in the dictionary popup (with some modification) when I do whatever is needed to display the menu. That lets me see the note, the dialog is a positioned so I can see the highlighted text and the usual options are available on the menu. And it should be possible to implement it in the epub reader as well.
Yes, a little over the top, but, it just doesn't work for me. I suppose I won't actually be seeing these while reading the book. I'll be adding an annotation and going to the next page. But, they don't actually help if I go back to look for a note or something. The highlighted text already makes it very obvious that something is there. The icon is redundant.

But, being over the top can have an affect, as the following was added to the firmware later...
Quote:
I tried adding ShowNoteIndicators=false to both Reading and ReadingSettings and it had no effect, icon still showed up, so maybe that's not related?
It is:

Code:
showNoteIndicators=false
The case on both sides is important. And it goes in the "Reading" section.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2020, 08:05 PM   #28
johnnydarko
johnnydarko began at the beginning.

Device: Clara HD
I'm so happy that they fixed the MyWords "no definitions" glitch!

I sent Kobo feedback regarding that, and I assume others did, as well. Really great to see them squashing bugs so quickly.
johnnydarko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2020, 09:04 PM   #29
FrozenTrout
FrozenTrout is just one insight away from self-actualization.FrozenTrout is just one insight away from self-actualization.FrozenTrout is just one insight away from self-actualization.FrozenTrout is just one insight away from self-actualization.FrozenTrout is just one insight away from self-actualization.FrozenTrout is just one insight away from self-actualization.FrozenTrout is just one insight away from self-actualization.FrozenTrout is just one insight away from self-actualization.FrozenTrout is just one insight away from self-actualization.FrozenTrout is just one insight away from self-actualization.FrozenTrout is just one insight away from self-actualization.

Device: iPad, Kobo Aura 2, Kobo Libra H20
Quote:
Originally Posted by geek1011 View Post
There's also some new stuff about verifying firmware update files, but I haven't looked at it in detail yet.
Is this anything to maybe worry about, re: firmware patching?
FrozenTrout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2020, 10:44 PM   #30
geek1011
Wizard
geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Mini, Aura Edition 2 v1, Clara HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by FrozenTrout View Post
Is this anything to maybe worry about, re: firmware patching?
No, not right now. This change has nothing to do with sideloaded updates.
geek1011 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
firmware, firmware release