Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Devices

Notices

Old 10-20-2013, 06:54 PM   #16
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Open a command prompt:
type: set <enter>

see if anything on the path jumps out

better yet post it here for more eyes (carefully obscure sensitive info without changing any SPACES)
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2013, 07:09 PM   #17
Sabardeyn
Guru
Sabardeyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sabardeyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sabardeyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sabardeyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sabardeyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sabardeyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sabardeyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sabardeyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sabardeyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sabardeyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sabardeyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PC (Calibre), Nexus 7 2013 (Moon+ Pro), HTC HD2/Leo (Freda)
Only other thing I can think of is a long-term (hour?) cold boot.

Or double-checking your sandboxing rules (if any) in your AV/Firewall. Calibre has sub-programs and it's possible one of them is denied/restricted.
Sabardeyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-20-2013, 07:40 PM   #18
medxman
medxman began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
@theducks... here ya go (set command for var's/paths):

ALLUSERSPROFILE=C:\ProgramData
APPDATA=C:\Users\Jamie\AppData\Roaming
asl.log=Destination=file
CLASSPATH=.;C:\Program Files\Java\jre7\lib\ext\QTJava.zip
CommonProgramFiles=C:\Program Files\Common Files
COMMPath=C:\Program Files\Lenovo\Communications Utility
COMPUTERNAME=J-PC
ComSpec=C:\Windows\system32\cmd.exe
EMC_AUTOPLAY=c:\Program Files\Common Files\Roxio Shared\
FP_NO_HOST_CHECK=NO
HOMEDRIVE=C:
HOMEPATH=\Users\Jamie
LOCALAPPDATA=C:\Users\Jamie\AppData\Local
LOGONSERVER=\\J-PC
NUMBER_OF_PROCESSORS=2
OS=Windows_NT
Path=C:\Windows\system32;C:\Windows;C:\Windows\Sys tem32\Wbem;C:\Windows\System32\WindowsPowerShell\v 1.0\;C:\Program Files\ThinkPad\Bluetooth Software\;C:\Program Files\Common Files\Adobe\AGL;c:\Program Files\Common Files\Roxio Shared\10.0\DLLShared\;c:\Program Files\Common Files\Roxio Shared\DLLShared\;C:\Program Files\QuickTime\QTSystem\;C:\Program Files\Calibre2\
PATHEXT=.COM;.EXE;.BAT;.CMD;.VBS;.VBE;.JS;.JSE;.WS F;.WSH;.MSC
PROCESSOR_ARCHITECTURE=x86
PROCESSOR_IDENTIFIER=x86 Family 6 Model 23 Stepping 10, GenuineIntel
PROCESSOR_LEVEL=6
PROCESSOR_REVISION=170a
ProgramData=C:\ProgramData
ProgramFiles=C:\Program Files
PROMPT=$P$G
PSModulePath=C:\Windows\system32\WindowsPowerShell \v1.0\Modules\
PUBLIC=C:\Users\Public
QTJAVA=C:\Program Files\Java\jre7\lib\ext\QTJava.zip
RoxioCentral=c:\Program Files\Common Files\Roxio Shared\10.0\Roxio Central36\
SESSIONNAME=Console
SystemDrive=C:
SystemRoot=C:\Windows
TEMP=C:\Users\Jamie\AppData\Local\Temp
TMP=C:\Users\Jamie\AppData\Local\Temp
TVT=C:\Program Files\Lenovo
USERDOMAIN=J-PC
USERNAME=Jamie
USERPROFILE=C:\Users\Jamie
windir=C:\Windows
medxman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2013, 07:49 PM   #19
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Dang if I see anything obvious

How long has that Roxio stuff been there?
Old 10-20-2013, 08:20 PM   #20
medxman

since the dawn of time. bummer, i figured a developer or two out there would have a trick up their sleeve. well, if anyone has any other ideas, i'm all ears...... and a big 'Thank You' to all you for all the brain storming and assassination plans. Apparently this little devil is a slippery one.
Advert
Old 10-20-2013, 08:56 PM   #21
theducks
Well trained by Cats

Quote:
Originally Posted by medxman View Post
since the dawn of time. bummer, i figured a developer or two out there would have a trick up their sleeve. well, if anyone has any other ideas, i'm all ears...... and a big 'Thank You' to all you for all the brain storming and assassination plans. Apparently this little devil is a slippery one.
The High powered (developers) have not put in their further 2Cents on this additional data. Kovid is half way around the world. Give it 48 hours (enough time to recover from )
Old 10-20-2013, 09:26 PM   #22
medxman

Sure, will do.. However, I originally exchanged messages with Kovid (he was the 'developer' I checked with that I noted in my original post - didn't use his name though). I tried everything he suggested and then he said he didn't know of any more solutions. So, I'm not holding my breathe, but I'll wait anyway.
Old 10-20-2013, 09:29 PM   #23
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Clara, Touch, Tolino EPOS
Have you looked in Event Viewer to see if there are any entries there applicable to calibre closing?

Maybe use some of the SysInternals tools to monitor what is happening.
PeterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2013, 10:46 PM   #24
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired
DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Icarus Illumina XL HD, Nexus 7
Quote:
Any other tricks out there? I’m about ready to trash Calibre and use something else. To bad too, as everyone says they really like this program.
If you haven't done so yet Go to Preferences - Miscellaneous and click on Open calibre configuration directory. Note this directory and keep it open.
  • Now close calibre.
  • Uninstall calibre
  • Rename the configuration directory. Mine is called Calibre Settings change the name of the directory to Calibre Settings Old.
  • Reinstall calibre
  • Start calibre (calibre will create a brand new configuration directory)
  • Test to see if your problem still exists.
Good Luck.
DoctorOhh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2013, 11:45 PM   #25
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
And truthfully, I know my pc very well and highly doubt it's a conflict of sys config issue....but, of course, I could be wrong. You never really know for sure with computers.
@medxman : can you confirm that this is your first attempt to install and run calibre. I've been assuming you have been using it and it went pear shaped when you upgraded to 1.7 - but on rereading your posts I suspect that's not the case.

My eyes also narrowed when I saw the entries for Roxio - its one of those programs that has a reputation for running interference, assuming you use it and its easy to reinstall then you could trying getting uninstalling it just to remove suspicion.

Quote:
Originally Posted by medxmax
-Nope, no special gadgets. I like my pc running as lean as possible. No junk = fewer problems...
It is possible to go overboard with running lean and mean - eg some of the suggestions from some 'gurus' were OKish on XP, but they can cause problems on Vista and above. No names, no packdrill.

My only 'new' suggestion is to do an inplace reinstall of Windows 7. I've fixed a few peoples intractable problems that way - I'm a volunteer at the local govt 'computer help centre'. And I've used it on my own system. Its a process rather than a one click fix - but I have a suspicion you'd probably prefer that anyway. Here's a couple of how to links, I've followed the one from Brink at sevenforums, I'm sure Fred Langa's is just as good - I suspect the only difference is style.

http://www.sevenforums.com/tutorials...r-install.html
http://windowssecrets.com/newsletter...ive-reinstall/

My experience is that takes about a day to complete - that includes downloading the Windows 7 SP1 ISO from MS and then downloading and applying the subsequent updates. After I did it on my system a few things came back that I'd forgotten I'd even lost A couple of applications needed to be knocked back into shape (eg Firefox) but 99% were just as I had them.

BR
BetterRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2013, 12:10 AM   #26
medxman

@ Peter T… Nothing in event viewer… no dice. Thanks though.
@ DoctorOhh… Nope, didn’t work.
@ BetterRed:
- Yes, this is my first time “using” Calibre. Never used it before. I have installed and uninstalled caliber 1.7.0 about 5 times now (cleared temp & temp internet files before last 3 installs just to make sure those weren’t creating problem). So, the first install 2 days ago was a fresh, new clean install of v1.7.0, no upgrading.
- Ya, I know Roxio is a trouble maker. I’ve dealt with that before. I have another idea myself, but if that doesn’t work, I may try deleting Roxio, but honestly I don’t think that’s the issue.
- As far as a reinstall on win 7, heck no. Not worth the trouble for Calibre. I’ve done installs & reinstalls with windows from 3.x to Win 8 many, many times in my day. Just not worth the hassle. Besides I’ve seen too many win reinstalls go bad in my time, so I typically stick with the full, new, fresh kind. But thanks for the idea anyway.
Old 10-21-2013, 12:19 AM   #27
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired
DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
@ DoctorOhh… Nope, didn’t work.
When I looked closer and realized that Calibre portable did not work for you I knew suggestion would fail too.

Since your setup seems to be ill in some manner and you don't want to start fresh the only thing I could suggest is installing linux as a dual boot and running calibre from the linux install.
Old 10-21-2013, 01:01 AM   #28
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
- Yes, this is my first time “using” Calibre. Never used it before. I have installed and uninstalled caliber 1.7.0 about 5 times now (cleared temp & temp internet files before last 3 installs just to make sure those weren’t creating problem). So, the first install 2 days ago was a fresh, new clean install of v1.7.0, no upgrading.
I don't recall any seeing many, if any, problems with 'first time' Windows installs of this nature.

Quote:
- Ya, I know Roxio is a trouble maker. I’ve dealt with that before. I have another idea myself, but if that doesn’t work, I may try deleting Roxio, but honestly I don’t think that’s the issue.
Well you'll never know if you don't try - I wouldn't have expected that video player gadget to create trouble with calibre - but it did, and it interfered with my Add Books through the back door process - although not as drastically as whatever is causing your problem.

Quote:
- As far as a reinstall on win 7, heck no. Not worth the trouble for Calibre. I’ve done installs & reinstalls with windows from 3.x to Win 8 many, many times in my day. Just not worth the hassle. Besides I’ve seen too many win reinstalls go bad in my time, so I typically stick with the full, new, fresh kind. But thanks for the idea anyway.
I used to think the same way - start with a freshly formatted drive. But circumstances forced me to try the in-line replace, I was really surprised with the result because the first system I tried it on had been truly butchered.

But I have another idea.

In here http://manual.calibre-ebook.com/cust...ment-variables there is an environment variable listed called CALIBRE_NO_NATIVE_FILEDIALOGS - I've no idea what it does or what values it accepts but it might be worth trying, I'm reticent to play with it because I am not sure what to expect of it.

BR
BetterRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2013, 03:48 AM   #29
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired

I forgot about the FAQ on the subject. It might be worth a review.
Old 10-21-2013, 01:42 PM   #30
medxman

@BetterRed... maybe it was just a win install hiccup that won't be rectified until win is reloaded (seen those before), but I'm not willing to reload win at this point given my past exeperience, the large amount of time it takes to reload & config my system the way it is, and the cost/benefit - but thanks forthe idea. And ya, I've had to do the "go with the re-install" b/c a full wipe wasn't possible before and occasionally it works well, but more than not problems will creep up or at least that's been my experience. So, not willing to do that. Roxio option did not fix the problem.

@DoctorOhh... Already went through the FAQ as noted previously. And thanks for the dual op sys option, but that's not an option at this point.

Thanks anyways everyone. I don't have any more time to waste on this project. I'll just for go it for now. There are always other options. ...cheers

Tags
add book, close, crash