Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Devices

Notices

Old 10-20-2011, 08:45 PM   #16
starrigger
Jeffrey A. Carver
starrigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.starrigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.starrigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.starrigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.starrigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.starrigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.starrigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.starrigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.starrigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.starrigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.starrigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Lenovo Yoga Tab Plus, Droid phone, Nook HD+
So I had everything working, using Calibre's content server with Aldiko on my Galaxy Tab. It was working a few days ago. Now it's not. I think the problem must be on the PC, because I can view the content server from Firefox on the PC itself, but I cannot view it from the tablet, either from within Aldiko or from a browser on the tablet. The wireless connectivity seems okay--both the tablet and the PC are working fine on the home network. And I can browse files on the PC from the tablet. I just can't browse the content server.

What could I have changed that would cause this? Has anything changed in a recent Calibre update that would have an effect? I've got Calibre 8.22 running. Temporarily turning off the firewall and antivirus didn't help.

Anyone have any ideas?
starrigger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2011, 08:48 PM   #17
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired
DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Icarus Illumina XL HD, Nexus 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by starrigger View Post
What could I have changed that would cause this? Has anything changed in a recent Calibre update that would have an effect? I've got Calibre 8.22 running. Temporarily turning off the firewall and antivirus didn't help.

Anyone have any ideas?
Did the IP address for the computer running the content server change?
DoctorOhh is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-20-2011, 09:14 PM   #18
starrigger
Jeffrey A. Carver
starrigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.starrigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.starrigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.starrigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.starrigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.starrigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.starrigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.starrigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.starrigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.starrigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.starrigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwanthny View Post
Did the IP address for the computer running the content server change?
I'm using computer names for addresses, not numerical addresses. So, no. (Multiple computers on home network, get new number every day.) Never had a problem using names.

I just tested on another PC on the home network. From computer B, I also cannot view the content server on computer A.

From the tablet, I can view the content server on computer B, which is running an older Calibre, 8.18. (In both cases, server is set to port 8080.) But even here, I can no longer view it from within Aldiko. It gets kicked out to the browser on the tablet, so I can see the books, but not import directly into Aldiko.

So two problems: seeing the content server at all, and seeing it from within Aldiko.
Old 10-20-2011, 09:17 PM   #19
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
On the home network, try the IP address of the computer as given to it by the router. It's possible it's changed. It's common for internal IP addresses to change unless they are set to be fixed. If the internal IP has changed, then the port forward will need to be fixed.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2011, 11:51 PM   #20
starrigger
Jeffrey A. Carver

Aha! Found the problem. My laptop apparently has 2 different IP addresses--one for the wireless connection and one for the ethernet. (I usually keep a cable plugged into it when it's in its usual spot, for the faster internet access.) In looking at the router's listing of computers on the network, I discovered that the ethernet was assigned the name address and the wireless something else. I'd brought the laptop home from somewhere and hadn't bothered to plug in the ethernet cable. Hence the failure to recognize the computer by name. (Though it doesn't explain why other applications that rely on the name for connection still worked.)

Once I had that fixed, the other problem of Aldiko bouncing the request to the browser went away, too. I guess it does that when it has trouble connecting.

Thanks, everyone!
Advert
Old 05-16-2012, 06:10 PM   #21
LUanne
Enthusiast
LUanne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LUanne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LUanne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LUanne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LUanne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LUanne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LUanne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LUanne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LUanne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LUanne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LUanne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung Galaxy 10.1 Tab
I'm having the same problem. I have Calibre on my PC in one room with the router hooked to it so my netbook (in another room) can get the internet. I'm now trying to wirelessly get my Calibre Library to show up in Aldiko on my Samsung 10.1 tablet. As far as I can tell, I've done everything right, got it set up in Aldiko under My Catalogs and when I click on it, it goes to an internet tab and says loading. It then comes up with Data Connectivity - Server Timed Out. When I click ok, the internet page says webpage cannot be found. I'm on 4G, but turned the wifi on and it says that I am connected with my router name. I logged in as a guest onto my system and I can see my connection bars are better.

I've been driving another user on the board crazy and she's been great, but thought maybe somebody else has another thought as what I can do.

Thanks.
Luanne
LUanne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2012, 08:50 PM   #22
starrigger
Jeffrey A. Carver

My final fix was to go into the router setup and assign each computer in the house a fixed IP number. Then I used the IP number instead of the computer name in the address I gave Aldiko for finding the Calibre server. I had to do this after we changed routers and the new one didn't work as well at name recognition. But now I have no problems connecting with Aldiko (as long as I remember to have Calibre up and running, that is).
Old 05-16-2012, 09:11 PM   #23
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Originally Posted by starrigger View Post
My final fix was to go into the router setup and assign each computer in the house a fixed IP number. Then I used the IP number instead of the computer name in the address I gave Aldiko for finding the Calibre server. I had to do this after we changed routers and the new one didn't work as well at name recognition. But now I have no problems connecting with Aldiko (as long as I remember to have Calibre up and running, that is).
You only need to do this for computers and devices that will be accessed from other than Windows (with no windows Name resolution).

Printers are another static/reserved IP candidate
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2012, 09:27 PM   #24
LUanne
Enthusiast
LUanne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LUanne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LUanne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LUanne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LUanne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LUanne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LUanne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LUanne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LUanne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LUanne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LUanne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

My PC has one IP address and my netbook has a different one (the last 3 numbers are in sequence - ex: 123 & 124. When I typed into Aldiko http://IPaddress/8080 then clicked ok, it won't go to Calibre.

Luanne
Old 05-16-2012, 09:41 PM   #25
starrigger
Jeffrey A. Carver

I think your syntax is wrong. Here's what I have to one computer:

http://192.168.1.2:8080

(That's internal to my home network, obviously.)

And you checked that the Calibre content server is active, yes?
Old 05-16-2012, 09:51 PM   #26
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Originally Posted by LUanne View Post
My PC has one IP address and my netbook has a different one (the last 3 numbers are in sequence - ex: 123 & 124. When I typed into Aldiko http://IPaddress/8080 then clicked ok, it won't go to Calibre.

Luanne
Starrigger caught you out
port Number is always separated by a COLON
any address : port_number
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2012, 11:26 PM   #27
LUanne
Enthusiast

Here's what I've done. I went into the start menu of my pc and in the search typed in cmd. When the DOS window opened, I typed ipconfig. I got the IPv4 address there. http://192.168.1.105. When I created the catalog in Aldiko, I titled it Calibre, used the URL number above with a :8080 after. When I tapped on the URL in Aldiko I get a screen that says loading. It then takes me to an internet page that says loading as well. After about 30 seconds, I message box comes up that says Data connectivity problem. Thye connection to the server timed out. The tablet is connected to my home wifi, but as a guest. Could that have anything to do with it? I wouldn't know how to add the tablet so as not to have to be a guest. (No manual, just a cd to put into my pc). Is there anything else I have to do to get the PC and the Tablet to talk to each other? The Calibre server is on. When I click on test server from Calibre on my pc, it comes right up.

Also, what is syntax? I'm very non techie. Under the IPv4 number in the DOS window, there is also http://192.168.1.1 that says Default Gateway after it. I tried that URL too, with the :8080 and that did not work either.

I've been at this since last night and am banging my head against the wall.

Luanne
Old 05-16-2012, 11:37 PM   #28
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Clara, Touch, Tolino EPOS
You do have the Calibre Content Server running on your PC right? Preferences | Sharing Over the Net | Start Server ?

Can you from your PC connect to http://192.168.1.105:8080 and see the Calibre web interface?
PeterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2012, 11:44 PM   #29
LUanne
Enthusiast

Peter, Yes, Calibre is running from the Connect/Share. I just clicked on your link with my URL and Calibre came right up.
Old 05-16-2012, 11:45 PM   #30
LUanne
Enthusiast

I mean from Sharing Over the Net