Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 08-28-2016, 10:02 PM   #16
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Before you pick your next Reader, take a look at the software. The Kindle has basic options with limited fonts, limited font sizes, limited screen sizes, limited mangers, and other limited options. Kobo has more options and can be patched to modify things. Kobo can use side loaded fonts, has more options to deal with fonts, margins, and line-height.

Also, Kobo comes in three different sizes, 6", 6.8", 7.8".
JSWolf is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2016, 11:25 PM   #17
Cinisajoy
Just a Yellow Smiley.
Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K4, K5, fire, kobo, galaxy
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
Before you pick your next Reader, take a look at the software. The Kindle has basic options with limited fonts, limited font sizes, limited screen sizes, limited mangers, and other limited options. Kobo has more options and can be patched to modify things. Kobo can use side loaded fonts, has more options to deal with fonts, margins, and line-height.

Also, Kobo comes in three different sizes, 6", 6.8", 7.8".
If Kobo isn't paying you, they should be.
Cinisajoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-28-2016, 11:54 PM   #18
Canuck_in_Japan
Wizard
Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Aura, Aura H2O, Kindle PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
The Kobo Glo HD would be your best bet. The basic Kindle is too backic and so is the Kobo Touch 2.0 too basic.
Why would you even suggest this when the OP said they want something capacitive and with an Oxford dictionary?
Canuck_in_Japan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2016, 12:39 AM   #19
FizzyWater
You kids get off my lawn!
FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 2 and Libra H2O and half a dozen older models I can't let go of
Pocketbook Touch 3 Lux is nice, with the newer whiter screen. As another poster mentions, you can buy a dictionary from their store. I like that it has physical buttons as well as a touch screen, so you can choose how to turn pages. I have a purely subjective feel that it runs a little slower than my Voyage or Paperwhite. But I don't tend to put more than 50 books on the Kindle readers, and I've loaded up the Touch Lux with hundreds. That does make a difference. And I only really notice it when I'm deciding what to read. Once I've picked a book and start reading, I don't notice.

Pocketbook has some usability advantages IMO: able to load my own font without embedding them into each book, Calibre will create collections (only get those from Calibre on a Kindle if you jailbreak it), I think the TOC navigation has more options.
FizzyWater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2016, 03:20 AM   #20
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sirtel View Post
All the newer Kobos (Glo HD, Aura HD, H2O) have infrared screens, as far as I know. I don't know what kind of screen the new Aura One has.
It appears to have a flush screen, so it must be capacitive.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-29-2016, 03:29 AM   #21
church mouse
Evangelist
church mouse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.church mouse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.church mouse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.church mouse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.church mouse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.church mouse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.church mouse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.church mouse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.church mouse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.church mouse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.church mouse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Kobo Clara HD, Kobo H2O, Boox Poke 2
The Tolino English dictionary is sourced from Wiktionary - the online, free dictionary.

I find it perfectly decent to use, but it is not as good as Oxford.
church mouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2016, 04:24 AM   #22
mbovenka
Wizard
mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sirtel View Post
All the newer Kobos (Glo HD, Aura HD, H2O) have infrared screens, as far as I know. I don't know what kind of screen the new Aura One has.
Capacitive. The screen being flush with the bezel means that there is no room for IR transmitters
mbovenka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2016, 05:36 AM   #23
avid01
Addict
avid01 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avid01 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avid01 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avid01 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avid01 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avid01 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avid01 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avid01 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avid01 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avid01 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avid01 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cinisajoy View Post
Oh and Merriam-Webster is also a good dictionary.
Now I probably wouldn't recommend the edition I have in my library unless you are reading a late 19th century/early 20th century book. It is from 1929.
"Also good" is still much worse than "best." I know, I was a Merriam-Webster user before my Kindle 4 introduced me to the Oxford dictionary and I went with that.

Also, which reader do you want to recommend me with a built-in Merriam-Webster dictionary? Probably none.

Merriam-Webster has practically zero coverage of my esoteric definitions Oxford covers me pretty well.

If you are a long term Merriam-Webster user you may have noticed many "loops" in their definitions, they explain a noun with the verb form of that word, then the verb with the noon, you won't find out the meaning from Merriam-Webster, which is pretty lame. Oxford at least is consistently one-way with this.
avid01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2016, 05:57 AM   #24
avid01
Addict
avid01 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avid01 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avid01 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avid01 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avid01 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avid01 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avid01 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avid01 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avid01 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avid01 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avid01 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

To sum it up! What do we have so far:

Kindle Paperwhite (2015): $120, Oxford dictionary, E-Ink Carta 300 dpi display, capacitive touchchreen

Kobo Aura (2016, shipping from tomorrow): $120, dictionary?, E-Ink Carta 212 dpi display, capacitive touchchreen (let's assume)

PocketBook Touch Lux 3 (2015): price?, Oxford dictionary for an additional $10.50 (where to buy?), E-Ink Carta 212 dpi display, capacitive touchscreen (according to MobileRead)
The product video says it has ABBYY-Lingvo dictionary built in, which doesn't seem to work single-language.

How about the scratch resistance of the screens of any of the above devices? Compared to an average smartphone or tablet.

Last edited by avid01; 08-29-2016 at 08:36 AM.
Old 08-29-2016, 06:37 AM   #25
meeera
Grand Sorcerer
meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, iPadMini4, iPad4, MBP; support other Kobo/Kindles
Quote:
Originally Posted by avid01 View Post
Kobo Aura (2016, shipping from tomorrow): $120, dictionary?, E-Ink Carta 300 dpi display, capacitive touchchreen (let's assume)
Are you talking about the Kobo Aura One here? The Kobo Aura is much older and has a Pearl screen, not Carta. But the Aura One isn't going to retail for $120 anywhere as far as I know.

[ETA: oh, wait, or are you talking about the Kobo Aura Edition 2? Do we know that it's capacitive? It doesn't have a flush screen.]

Don't scratch at the screen with sharp objects, and you'll be fine. You should be far more worried about twisting/bending forces or sudden temperature extremes.

Last edited by meeera; 08-29-2016 at 06:48 AM.
meeera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2016, 07:51 AM   #26
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
Quote:
T
Kobo Aura (2016, shipping from tomorrow): $120, dictionary?, E-Ink Carta 300 dpi display, capacitive touchchreen (let's assume)
Quote:
Originally Posted by meeera View Post
Are you talking about the Kobo Aura One here? The Kobo Aura is much older and has a Pearl screen, not Carta. But the Aura One isn't going to retail for $120 anywhere as far as I know.

[ETA: oh, wait, or are you talking about the Kobo Aura Edition 2? Do we know that it's capacitive? It doesn't have a flush screen.]
No, avid01 seems to have described a Kobo device that doesn't exist. $120 suggests the Aura Edition 2 but that isn't 212dpi. The Glo HD is 300dpi and isn't capacitive. I'm also reasonably sure the Aura Edition 2 is not capacitive as well.

And as all the Kobo devices use the basic Merriam-Webster dictionary, they won't be suitable. The dictionaries can be replaced, but sourcing and converting a suitable dictionary is the problem.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2016, 08:33 AM   #27
avid01
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidfor View Post
No, avid01 seems to have described a Kobo device that doesn't exist. $120 suggests the Aura Edition 2 but that isn't 212dpi. The Glo HD is 300dpi and isn't capacitive. I'm also reasonably sure the Aura Edition 2 is not capacitive as well.

And as all the Kobo devices use the basic Merriam-Webster dictionary, they won't be suitable. The dictionaries can be replaced, but sourcing and converting a suitable dictionary is the problem.
The capacitive touchscreen might have been wrong information or my misunderstanding from HarryT, the product video shows a no-flush screen, though that's not proof, but a strong indication. I corrected: It's 212 dpi. Thanks for your information!

Last edited by avid01; 08-29-2016 at 08:35 AM.
Old 08-29-2016, 08:42 AM   #28
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
The capacitive touchscreen might have been wrong information or my misunderstanding from HarryT, the product video shows a no-flush screen, though that's not proof, but a strong indication. I corrected: It's 212 dpi. Thanks for your information!
That video is not showing the Aura One. The Aura One, as I said in my previous post, does have a flush screen, hence it must be capacitive.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2016, 07:03 PM   #29
robko
Wizard
robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo
Quote:
Kobo has decided to make our life a pain. There is the new Kobo Aura ONE coming out that is 7.8" screen, capacitive screen and hi-res. They also have the new Kobo Aura Edition 2 (which is what the video you linked to was about) which is lower res, likely IR touch and 6" screen. And to add to the confusion, the Aura Edition 1 (which was just called the Aura) was capacitive touch . Why all companies like to play games with virtually identical names for different devices is beyond me.
Any way you look at it, the Kobo's all run virtually identical firmware and dictionaries so none of them are likely going to meet what you're looking for in a dictionary.

Last edited by robko; 08-29-2016 at 07:06 PM.
robko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2016, 07:20 PM   #30
FizzyWater
You kids get off my lawn!
FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 2 and Libra H2O and half a dozen older models I can't let go of
Quote:
To sum it up! What do we have so far:

PocketBook Touch Lux 3 (2015): price?, Oxford dictionary for an additional $10.50 (where to buy?), E-Ink Carta 212 dpi display, capacitive touchscreen (according to MobileRead)
The product video says it has ABBYY-Lingvo dictionary built in, which doesn't seem to work single-language.

How about the scratch resistance of the screens of any of the above devices? Compared to an average smartphone or tablet.
The Pocketbook availability is going to depend on where you are. I got mine on Amazon, since it's not officially sold by Pocketbook in the US. I also got a fairly inexpensive cover there.

http://www.pocketbook-int.com/us/pro...ok-touch-lux-3

The FAQ on the Touch Lux "support" page (firmware upgrades, donwloads), lists Bookland as a place to buy dictionaries.

http://www.bookland.com/eng

I can't really say how "scratch resistant" these are compared to other things. I've been reading on eInk since about 2005 and never managed to scratch my screen. I always keep my readers in covers, so they don't lie about uncovered to be inadvertently scratch. At least some of the early Sony readers came with a stylus, which I imagine would make them more likely to get scratched. I never did.

I had the 500, 505, 300/600, 350/650 [fave of the Sony line], and T1. I've also had a Kindle 1, PW2, PW3, and a Voyage [fave of the Kindle line]. Plus a Touch Lux 1 and Touch Lux 3. There might have been an older generation Pocketbook, I don't remember. I'm not counting the eBookwise here because it wasn't eInk. I think that captures them all - and wow, how embarrassing!

The point of it is...all those. No scratches. What I consider reasonable care.

ETA: Oops, also had a 1st Generation Nook and the 1st or 2nd generation Nook Glowlight (can't remember which - it was not the white one. So if there was more than one with a big border and was black or maybe grayish, it was the 2nd one. Otherwise, it was the first one). The only brand regularly discussed on this board I haven't tried is a Kobo. At the time I was interested, the firmware was significantly buggy. Now that people seem happier with their Kobo's, I can't see one "in the wild" and I'm not willing to buy one without seeing it in action first.

Last edited by FizzyWater; 08-29-2016 at 07:39 PM.
FizzyWater is offline   Reply With Quote