Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 11-21-2013, 09:09 AM   #16
ProfCrash
Tea Enthusiast
ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle1, Kindle DX Graphite, K3 3G, IPad 3, PW2
I know everyone is allowed to do what they want with their devices. I understand the desire to carry your entire library with you. But if your library is so large that your machine slows down, maybe it would be time to think about carrying half your library with you.

But that is me. I doubt that there is going to be an ereader that can handle some of the libraries that I see posted here. Given that most folks are not going to have libraries in the thousands (yes, I know, that is normal for people on this site but not the remaining 99% of the population), I don't see anyone really focusing on making a device that can handle the mega libraries. At least, not on a portable device in the next few years.

I am assuming that at some point in time this will change because chips/processors/electronic dohickey technology continues to develop.
ProfCrash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2013, 10:45 AM   #17
speakingtohe
Wizard
speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: sony PRS-T1 and T3, Kobo Mini and Aura HD, Tablet
Quote:
Originally Posted by llcj View Post
Fair point. However, to say that it will handle only one hundred books or less is a gross exaggeration.
I don't believe I said that exactly I said it works pretty good with 100 books or less. I personally have had minor problems such as resets and freezing with under 200 books, and many people who have said they had zero problems have also said that they kept 10 or less books on the reader.

Helen
speakingtohe is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-21-2013, 11:19 AM   #18
speakingtohe
Wizard
speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ProfCrash View Post
I know everyone is allowed to do what they want with their devices. I understand the desire to carry your entire library with you. But if your library is so large that your machine slows down, maybe it would be time to think about carrying half your library with you.

But that is me. I doubt that there is going to be an ereader that can handle some of the libraries that I see posted here. Given that most folks are not going to have libraries in the thousands (yes, I know, that is normal for people on this site but not the remaining 99% of the population), I don't see anyone really focusing on making a device that can handle the mega libraries. At least, not on a portable device in the next few years.

I am assuming that at some point in time this will change because chips/processors/electronic dohickey technology continues to develop.
Focusing or not, Kobo advertised both the Glo and the Aura HD as being able to hold 30,000 books. I believed that it would still function well just like the Sony readers seem to do Not that I have that many or need that many on either, But my older model Sony 600 worked the same whether it 1 book on it or 3000, opening the collections in 2 or 3 seconds, max. My 350 was faster and my T1 is a tad slower and actually malfunctions occasionally unlike the earlier models with slower processors for some reason but my T3 seems pretty speedy and so far glitch free. Of course I have only had it a very short time.

Helen
Old 11-22-2013, 02:48 PM   #19
llcj
Addict
llcj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llcj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llcj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llcj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llcj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llcj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llcj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llcj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llcj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llcj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llcj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by speakingtohe View Post
Focusing or not, Kobo advertised both the Glo and the Aura HD as being able to hold 30,000 books. I believed that it would still function well just like the Sony readers seem to do Not that I have that many or need that many on either, But my older model Sony 600 worked the same whether it 1 book on it or 3000, opening the collections in 2 or 3 seconds, max. My 350 was faster and my T1 is a tad slower and actually malfunctions occasionally unlike the earlier models with slower processors for some reason but my T3 seems pretty speedy and so far glitch free. Of course I have only had it a very short time.

Helen
Gotta agree with this. Kobo's being a tiny bit disingenuous when they make that statement.

While I don't personally have a library well into the thousands and I don't personally know know anyone who has that size of library, whenever I read about someone trying to manage a library well into the thousands on a Kobo, it always seems to end in tears.
llcj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2013, 04:37 PM   #20
speakingtohe
Wizard

Hmmm... disingenuous eh! Kind of knew the meaning but had to look it up just to be sure.
Quote:
synonyms: dishonest, deceitful, underhand, underhanded, duplicitous, double-dealing, two-faced, dissembling, insincere, false, lying, untruthful, mendacious
Actually I am almost sure that they thought it would work, just never bothered to test it with the purported 30,000 books or even 2,000. Indolent and obtuse perhaps?

A few people have had success of a sort with several thousand books by various means. I just am unwilling to do this. Undoubtedly a character flaw on my part but I refuse to buy into the Kobo is perfect idea and if they refuse to display a book in a readable manner or change the spacing from triple to single spaced, or make the shelves work in a timely manner, well it is my fault for buying that book or wanting more than 12 lines per page or using 5% of the available memory. Just because the other companies can do things nicely, doesn't mean Kobo has to of course, but stubbornly I keep thinking they should.

Helen
Advert