Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Lounge

Notices

View Poll Results: What is your experience with Facebook? (select all you like)
What is this Facebook of which you speak? 7 5.83%
No I don't use Facebook 40 33.33%
Yes I use it, but I don't really know what I'm doing either 33 27.50%
I'm on it all the time 21 17.50%
I have more than 150 Facebook friends 11 9.17%
I have more Facebook friends than I have "real" ones 10 8.33%
I understand the mysteries of Facebook Privacy Settings 13 10.83%
Is there a twelve step program for Facebook? 3 2.50%
The blue one, next to the fish 89,676 100.00%
I just want to see the results 12 10.00%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 120. You may not vote on this poll

Old 06-26-2009, 05:15 PM   #16
Verencat
Wizard
Verencat read the news today, oh boy.Verencat read the news today, oh boy.Verencat read the news today, oh boy.Verencat read the news today, oh boy.Verencat read the news today, oh boy.Verencat read the news today, oh boy.Verencat read the news today, oh boy.Verencat read the news today, oh boy.Verencat read the news today, oh boy.Verencat read the news today, oh boy.Verencat read the news today, oh boy.

Device: xxx
Quote:
Originally Posted by NatCh View Post

Who uses Facebook?
What do you do with it?
What's it good for in your experience?
What am I missing in my monumental ignorance?

I'll be adding a poll to help me keep better track of overall views and stuff.

From what I know, everyone uses Facebook, even my parents have their account (I created it, but still ).
I use it to stay in touch with long time no see friends, as an agenda for parties and evenings out and as a way to exchange pictures (I don't really post them, but I love seeing my friends pics). Also a great way to find people I haven't seen in decades.
You are not necessarily missing out. Facebook has absolutely no place for in-depth conversations, is filled with adds, gives place to harassment (from publicity and all those stupid tests and requests) and is mostly just a way to lose time. But, if you are ever looking for past friends or if you're into voyeurism, Facebook is for you!

Before MR, I spent an hour or two a day giggling on Facebook, looking at people's statuses, chatting with friends, looking at the pages of famous people or organizations; nothing really challenging, really. Now it's about 30 seconds a day... MR's far more interesting!

Try it and you'll see for yourself!

edit: I've cut myself deliberatly from everyone for years (no phone, no internet), so when I emerged from ermittage, Facebook helped!

Last edited by Verencat; 06-26-2009 at 05:21 PM.
Verencat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2009, 05:16 PM   #17
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by GraceKrispy View Post
I get bombarded with a few emails every week *used to be more* either from people asking me to join facebook with them, or from facebook herself, telling me how many of my friends have joined and how they all want me to join.
Yea, I make it a point not to invite people to join stuff like this. I only add/include people that are already on the service. I made the mistake of inviting alot of people to Plaxo and some reactions weren't "great".

BOb
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-26-2009, 05:17 PM   #18
wodin
Illiterate
wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung Galaxy S10+, Microsoft Surface Pro
Tried it, didn't like it. Besides that, by employer has it blocked at the firewall!
wodin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2009, 05:17 PM   #19
Sparrow
Wizard
Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Palm TX, CyBook Gen3
Sparrow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2009, 05:18 PM   #20
ShortNCuddlyAm
WWHALD
ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad. Selling my silver 505 here
Quote:
Originally Posted by pilotbob View Post
I thought twitter.com held that honor?

BOb
Not where I work - as far as I know, I'm the only twit there...

...wait. That came out wrong!

And I am on Facebook, largely cos several coworkers persuaded me to join. I now make sure I avoid it on a regular basis and only check occasionally
ShortNCuddlyAm is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-26-2009, 05:34 PM   #21
phenomshel
ZCD BombShel
phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad, STB Kindle Oasis
I had a facebook account because I was trying to keep in touch with a few digital scrapbooking designers. Then I read the flap over their TOS and closed the account. Well, then Chris found out most of his family (some of which he hadn't heard from or seen for literally decades) was on it, so HE got an account. They all wanted to see his miracle-working wife (their term, not mine) so I was forced into creating another facebook account. This time I did it under my maiden and married name, so lots of people from my hometown and highschool have found me. It's a little odd - some of those people wouldn't have minded if I didn't exist back then, but now they want to add me to facebook and act like we're old friends. For the record - the only people I added were my husband and his family, the rest found and added me on their own.
I kinda enjoy it, though I get annoyed at the numerous cause and game invitations.
phenomshel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2009, 05:36 PM   #22
nekokami
fruminous edugeek
nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad, eBw 1150
No facebook account, don't really want one. I don't have trouble keeping in touch with the people I care about, for the most part. I'll probably eventually need an account for professional/business reasons, but I get by just fine without one so far.
nekokami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2009, 05:42 PM   #23
ruth1304
Addict
ruth1304 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.ruth1304 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.ruth1304 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.ruth1304 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.ruth1304 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.ruth1304 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.ruth1304 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.ruth1304 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.ruth1304 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.ruth1304 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.ruth1304 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: Waiting for a kindle!
Yes, even my parents are on facebook. There are 2 reasons for this, which probably show you what facebook can be used for ...

1) My dad's family tree research - we don't just get people we were at school with asking to be friends with us, we also get random people with the same surname. It's the joy of having an unusual name, and it helped persuade my dad to join.

2) My whole family were visiting my parents. My sister fell asleep in a chair and my brother took a very unflattering photo of her. He had posted the photo on facebook before my sister had woken up. (I'm very glad I'm the oldest.) My mum thought this was very funny.

Personally I only created an account for file sharing purposes. I continue to use it because I am a very nosy person and every so often enjoy seeing what my friends want to tell me about their lives. I also arrange to meet friends with it, as it's an easy way to communicate with a group But I spend much more time on MR.
ruth1304 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2009, 05:44 PM   #24
zelda_pinwheel
zeldinha zippy zeldissima
zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: eb1150 & is that a nook in her pocket, or she just happy to see you?
Quote:
Don't worry, I can always edit the results and bump it up by several thousand. (Hey! It's my poll, you know! Shouldn't I get the results I want?)
naturally you should.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moejoe View Post
They should rename it to better represent its true nature, I'd suggest something like -- PEOPLE YOU DIDN'T LIKE AT SCHOOL NOW PESTERING YOU-BOOK

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShortNCuddlyAm View Post
Or TheMostPopularSiteAtWorkMakingYouWonderHowAnyWorkG etsDoneBook
Quote:
Originally Posted by pilotbob View Post
I thought twitter.com held that honor?

BOb
i thought it was *here* ??

Quote:
Originally Posted by ravenne View Post
I have a facebook account, but I don't use it. I'm on two German business networking sites, that's enough for me. I think it would cost me too much time to also be on facebook. I'd rather hang with you MobileRead people
exactly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GraceKrispy View Post
My friends say it's a great way to catch up with people from the past. Honestly, I'm still in touch, however remotely, with all the friends I wanted to keep touch with. And those I want to find? well, I stalk them the old fashioned way-- google. I don't necessarily want to re-establish a connection, I just want to spy on them a little bit.
actually i feel the same way. i am still in touch with a few people from my school years, i don't need facebook for that, and as for the others, i don't necessarily *want* to be in touch with them again. in fact there are a few people i definitely want to avoid. i do have some friends who are rather active though and it can be fun to read their messages from time to time. although seriously, those stupid games are getting out of hand, i've got one friend who sends me one every damned day.
zelda_pinwheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2009, 05:50 PM   #25
NatCh
Gizmologist
NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch HD3
All right now, who edited the poll results?
NatCh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2009, 05:52 PM   #26
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
I'm guess you fancy moderators have a way to tell who edited a poll.

BOb
Old 06-26-2009, 05:53 PM   #27
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by zelda_pinwheel View Post
Touché

BOb
Old 06-26-2009, 05:54 PM   #28
zelda_pinwheel
zeldinha zippy zeldissima
zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: eb1150 & is that a nook in her pocket, or she just happy to see you?
Quote:
what edit ?? that looks like a legitimate result to me !
zelda_pinwheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2009, 05:59 PM   #29
ShortNCuddlyAm
WWHALD
ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
It is for me. Most of the rest of the company prefers Facebook
Old 06-26-2009, 06:00 PM   #30
ShortNCuddlyAm
WWHALD

Quote:
Quote:
what edit ?? that looks like a legitimate result to me !

I can't see anything odd there either...