Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 01-22-2010, 10:23 AM   #16
Starson17
Wizard
Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: WinMo: IPAQ; Android: HTC HD2, Archos 7o; Java:Gravity T
Quote:
Originally Posted by highwaykind View Post
That's kind of my problem with the way it is now- when I type "medical" everything that happens to have medical in the title will also show up.
I tried to keep it simple, so I left off the "tag:" prefix for the searches I suggested. It's usually not required
Quote:
(with "medical" maybe not so much of a problem, but this tagging thing is not as "perfect" as only searching through seperate folders. (When I type "fiction" "non-fiction" will also show up).
itimpi has the answer for your specific scenario: "tag:fiction and not tag:non-fiction"

It's true that two libraries with separate folders will keep them entirely separate, but I've got my books set up with the Calibre server. I want to be able to get all of my books from anywhere in the world. If I put my wife's romance novels in another library, I would have to run two servers.

If you read through the threads here you will find several on the tags vs. folders organizational methods. We all started with folders, and that's what we're used to. I had trouble getting used to tags, also, but I've come to the conclusion that Kovid is absolutely right.

Quote:
So I think I'll go for 2 seperate libraries (and switch through Preferences)
And then within the Libraries I will use tagging to find what I need. And then I'll wait until switching between libraries becomes a "hit the button" thing in some future update maybe
Why use just two libraries? Why not separate your technical computer from fiction from medical? Then why not separate scifi fiction from fantasy? At some point you realize that using multiple calibre libraries for your e-books is sort of like building multiple library buildings to house tree-books.

I'm not trying to be one of those single-minded rah-rah fanboi advocates, because I know exactly what you are going through as you get used to the philosophy of calibre's tag-oriented design. I'm just saying it's worth trying to live with tags until you are sure they don't meet your needs. Ultimately they are so much more flexible than rigid separation.

Still, if you want separate libraries, it's supported. You might also consider the command-line startup options that will let you start with different libraries.
Starson17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2010, 07:12 AM   #17
highwaykind
Connoisseur
highwaykind began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Touch
OK, I'm convinced, I'm going to give this tagging thing a serious chance
With the option to select multiple tags at once (and I think, also the option to filter by tag AND some kind of other keyword that might be in the title/description etc?) this might indeed be better than using folders and tags..

Now the only problem is removing all tags from all books, and adding tags I'm happy with.
("General" for 1000 books just doesn't make things easier..and I have a lot of tags that seems to be only used once..)
Off to search if this can be done..
highwaykind is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-23-2010, 07:22 AM   #18
mores
Guru
mores knows the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow.mores knows the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow.mores knows the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow.mores knows the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow.mores knows the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow.mores knows the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow.mores knows the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow.mores knows the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow.mores knows the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow.mores knows the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow.mores knows the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow.

Device: iPhone
uhm ... I may be thick, but most OSes allow for multiple users to share a computer. Why don't you just set up a new user for your wife, which will then give you a new calibre DB ?
mores is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2010, 09:11 AM   #19
itimpi
Wizard
itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-950, iphone/ipad (Marvin/iBooks/QuickReader)
Quote:
Now the only problem is removing all tags from all books, and adding tags I'm happy with.
("General" for 1000 books just doesn't make things easier..and I have a lot of tags that seems to be only used once..)
Off to search if this can be done..
You might find this thread to be of use as it discusses this exact problem.
itimpi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2010, 11:04 AM   #20
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Originally Posted by itimpi View Post
You might find this thread to be of use as it discusses this exact problem.
To the LEFT of the tag list inside the Tag Editor is a Button that will delete tags (and all their current usage entries in Calibre) for any tag highlighted in the Left (available tags) list.

Note: that deleting the Tag, does not delete the Tag that has been embedded in existing Meta-data files.
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-26-2010, 05:10 PM   #21
Asteratu
Asteratu began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-505
Simple method for multiple libraries in os x

I find that if I create multiple user accounts in os x, I can install Calibre (a small program) in each account and open a new Calibre library. A kludge I admit, but it works quite well.

Asteratu
Asteratu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2010, 12:50 PM   #22
highwaykind
Connoisseur

Everything de-tagged and re-tagged.
This system indeed works ( I can browse by tags or series where I normally would have browsed within a folder for those tags/series)

Thanks guys!
Old 01-27-2010, 02:16 PM   #23
Starson17
Wizard
Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Quote:
This system indeed works ( I can browse by tags or series where I normally would have browsed within a folder for those tags/series)
Great! Don't forget the other uses of tags - you can tag books "read" after you read them and "fiction not read" will show only unread fiction (assuming you have a fiction tag.)
(The more accurate search line is really "tag:fiction and not tag:read" but the simpler version works most of the time.)

Another common use for tags is to make books you are working on show up, while hiding books you've finished with metadata. I use the tag "done" for that.
Old 01-28-2010, 05:11 AM   #24
highwaykind
Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by Starson17 View Post
Great! Don't forget the other uses of tags - you can tag books "read" after you read them and "fiction not read" will show only unread fiction (assuming you have a fiction tag.)
(The more accurate search line is really "tag:fiction and not tag:read" but the simpler version works most of the time.)

Another common use for tags is to make books you are working on show up, while hiding books you've finished with metadata. I use the tag "done" for that.
I'm using the rating for 'read / not read'. No stars = unread, starred = read.

I usually sort by publisher to see which books I haven't tagged yet, but I think I'm all done after 2 full days of tagging
Old 01-29-2010, 06:53 AM   #25
mores
Guru
mores knows the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow.mores knows the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow.mores knows the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow.mores knows the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow.mores knows the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow.mores knows the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow.mores knows the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow.mores knows the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow.mores knows the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow.mores knows the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow.mores knows the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asteratu View Post
I find that if I create multiple user accounts in os x, I can install Calibre (a small program) in each account and open a new Calibre library. A kludge I admit, but it works quite well.
Why is it a cludge? "Normal" people need their own libraries, so multiple users need multiple user accounts and get their own library.
Unless someone wants to create individual libraries for FICTION, NON-FICTION, HORROR, etc.
But thats's ... unnecessary
Old 01-29-2010, 05:31 PM   #26
Sabardeyn
Guru
Sabardeyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sabardeyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sabardeyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sabardeyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sabardeyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sabardeyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sabardeyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sabardeyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sabardeyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sabardeyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sabardeyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PC (Calibre), Nexus 7 2013 (Moon+ Pro), HTC HD2/Leo (Freda)
Quote:
Originally Posted by mores View Post
Unless someone wants to create individual libraries for FICTION, NON-FICTION, HORROR, etc.
But thats's ... unnecessary
I think my local Library would disagree with you.

However, for managing a really large collection of ebooks, I could see where it might be better to separate different genres.
Sabardeyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2010, 09:42 AM   #27
Starson17
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sabardeyn View Post
I think my local Library would disagree with you.

However, for managing a really large collection of ebooks, I could see where it might be better to separate different genres.
Does your local library really have different library buildings for "FICTION, NON-FICTION, HORROR, etc."?

Regardless, I can't see why you'd want to split on genre. Even with a large library, it's easy to tag the genre and show only that genre. The only reason I can think of would be if you needed really strong access control (keep the kids away from pron?)
Old 01-30-2010, 12:59 PM   #28
mores
Guru

It only makes sense to split things when a crappy usability requires you to take extra steps to keep your overview.
Old 01-31-2010, 12:01 AM   #29
Sabardeyn
Guru
Sabardeyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sabardeyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sabardeyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sabardeyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sabardeyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sabardeyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sabardeyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sabardeyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sabardeyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sabardeyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sabardeyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PC (Calibre), Nexus 7 2013 (Moon+ Pro), HTC HD2/Leo (Freda)
Ok, the rimshot was an attempt at humor... I'll have to work on that.

Anyway, it is possible that a user wants separate calibre libraries because their computer system is older / less capable and cannot efficiently handle a large database.

Or it could simply be something the user Wants - not something they Need.
Sabardeyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2010, 10:56 AM   #30
mores
Guru

Like I said, it probably depends on the usability. When a program bogs down due to too many items, it becomes unusable and the user will have to think of ways to keep the item count low.

I don't think people buy "Billy" book shelves for every room that they have only to separate books physically. If you can get to your book quickly, it won't matter if it's part of a gazillion or part of a miniature special selection.

But finally, I am just wondering what kind of motivation makes someone to attempt to use multiple libraries.

I know it can be done in iPhoto, iTunes and iWhatever ... all it takes is for the user to remember which button to press while clicking the icon. I always forget I also don't have the need to separate my music or my photos into different kinds of libraries.

BTW, I like your Nav'i M&M Avatar