Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

View Poll Results: Do you like the Popup?
Yes 5 62.50%
No 3 37.50%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 8. You may not vote on this poll

Old 11-29-2014, 01:21 PM   #16
allowingtoo
Bibliophile
allowingtoo began at the beginning.

Device: Amazon
I'll add a poll to the thread. Vote on this popup:

allowingtoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2014, 01:26 PM   #17
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Originally Posted by cybmole View Post
I'm not understanding the semantic distinction here between get books & add books ? is there one ?
Get books (from online stores): Globe Icon
Add Books (local storage): Red Book w/+
theducks is online now   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-29-2014, 01:37 PM   #18
cybmole
Wizard
cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Ok thanks - so we are discussing an add books notification window here, despite the thread title.

well I guess some "reading metadata" ( from the file that is being added or from the file name) has to take place as part of "add book" in order to determine how to slot the book into the database, but I agree it's a tad confusing & tells me nothing I did not already know ( yes it's adding to library but I know that because I've dropped a new book onto the main window )
cybmole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2014, 01:42 PM   #19
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cybmole View Post
Ok thanks - so we are discussing an add books notification window here, despite the thread title.

well I guess some "reading metadata" ( from the file that is being added or from the file name) has to take place as part of "add book" in order to determine how to slot the book into the database, but I agree it's a tad confusing & tells me nothing I did not already know ( yes it's adding to library but I know that because I've dropped a new book onto the main window )
Same here: D+D or auto-add folder, so I have not seen this one (popup)
Old 11-29-2014, 01:46 PM   #20
allowingtoo
Bibliophile

I didn't know how to title the post. I just took it from the new window popup that opened that I had never seen before. Sorry for the confusion.

I never knew that I could "get book" before LOL. I've always added books.

It just seems that it takes longer adding books with this new popup window than it did before without the popup window. I would like a way to disable it.
Advert
Old 11-29-2014, 01:57 PM   #21
cybmole
Wizard
cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by theducks View Post
Same here: D+D or auto-add folder, so I have not seen this one (popup)
so when you drag and drop you don't see the picture as linked to a couple of posts back ? I see it now every time I drag and drop a new book ( in 64 bit wondows calibre v 2.11- have not installed v2.12 yet)
cybmole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2014, 02:05 PM   #22
allowingtoo
Bibliophile

(edit to add)

I don't drag and drop anything.

I actually had to install the newest version of Calibre just to check and make sure I wasn't missing out on anything. I think I was a couple of versions back before I downloaded the newest version. It didn't change anything. I always check and see what the changes are before I download the new version and then I decide when to download the latest and greatest version. It didn't change anything on the Metadata Window adding books.

I guess you would say I am in the default user mode of Calibre. Which most of *cough cough* new users are. I am a Regular user. All of the sudden Calibre changed on me.

Not "D+D or auto-add folder" or something like that.

I don't mind going into the preferences folder and changing that to tweak how it behaves. I tried to change "control the adding of the books" under "Metadata" and I unchecked "Read Metadata from File contents rather than file name" and that didn't help at all.

I just want it to go back to how it use to be. It was faster. That's all. That reading metada before adding a book popup slows things down to me.

I'm sure it must serve a purpose somehow but I just don't see what it is. I'm a squeaky wheel. I just thought others have observed this and thought ?? After a couple of weeks I just got tired of observing it and thought I'd post it over here and try to change it back to where it used to be or at least give us an option to turn it off.

Vote

Last edited by theducks; 11-29-2014 at 06:54 PM. Reason: Remove duplicated image
Old 11-29-2014, 04:01 PM   #23
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

The progress bar has always been shown.

A couple of releases back it acquired the Name:  add_book.jpg
Views: 157
Size:  677 Bytes icon. First time I saw it I was momentarily alarmed, I thought it was an error condition. I think it appeared in the release that Kovid did whatever he did to speed up one of the Add Books options.

BR
BetterRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2014, 04:37 PM   #24
allowingtoo
Bibliophile

Quote:
Originally Posted by BetterRed View Post
The progress bar has always been shown.
Progress bar has not always been shown but it has been hidden MOL. There was no "speed up" option as far as I am concerned.

Just go back to the silent install. This Pop Up window is not needed.

I'm still wanting an explanation for why it is supposed to work "better". As far as I can see it is slower.

I've always installed Adblock Plus for Popups but sadly it doesn't work for Calibre. Otherwise I would block that Popup. Were you just up late at night and thought this just looked good? It's time consuming. Pop ups are never a good idea.

Remove this Pop Up

Last edited by theducks; 11-29-2014 at 06:52 PM. Reason: Remoed duplicated image
Old 11-29-2014, 05:17 PM   #25
itimpi
Wizard
itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-950, iphone/ipad (Marvin/iBooks/QuickReader)
I have always had a progress bar on adding books ever since I started using Calibre in the 0.6.x days.
itimpi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2014, 05:42 PM   #26
allowingtoo
Bibliophile

Quote:
Originally Posted by itimpi View Post
I have always had a progress bar on adding books ever since I started using Calibre in the 0.6.x days.
Come on. You haven't had that Pop Up window.

Last edited by theducks; 11-29-2014 at 06:55 PM. Reason: Removed duplicated image
Old 11-29-2014, 06:51 PM   #27
theducks
Well trained by Cats

Please don't keep posting the SAME image.
It has been explained.
Progress Dialog: Always been there
Image on Progress Dialog: New
Old 11-29-2014, 07:11 PM   #28
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

@allowingtoo - this is what one saw prior to the recent change to include the Add Books icon in the dialogue

Click image for larger version

Name:	adding 1.48.jpg
Views:	210
Size:	97.4 KB
ID:	131760

And here is a testimonial as to the speeding up of the Add process ==>> Adding large number of books to Calibre got significantly faster. Thank you Kovid

Quote:
I beseech you, in the bowels of Christ, think it possible you may be mistaken.

Oliver Cromwell - In a letter to the general assembly of the Church of Scotland August 3, 1650
BR
BetterRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2014, 08:04 PM   #29
allowingtoo
Bibliophile

Quote:
Originally Posted by theducks View Post
Please don't keep posting the SAME image.
It has been explained.
Progress Dialog: Always been there
Image on Progress Dialog: New
Ducks. It has NOT been explained and it has NOT always been there.

I'm sorry if you think you are correct. Since I recently updated my Calibre this annoying Pop up is NEW TO ME. It used to be a MOL silent install when adding books. I'd gladly roll back my Calibre to an older version just to get rid of this if I could. I just asked if we could HAVE THE OPTION to turn IT OFF. That's all.
Old 11-29-2014, 09:00 PM   #30
Ripplinger
350 Hoarder
Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-350, Kobo Glo & Glo HD, PW2
I still have a very old Calibre version installed on a WinXP machine (v 0.9.44), and while the popup box is worded a bit different, it's always been there, whether I add books using the "Add Books" icon or just drag and drop them into Calibre. I have Calibre 2.1 64-bit installed on a Win7 PC and I get the same exact popup.

It looks like the popup message wording and showing the icon might have changed slightly (I still haven't upgraded to the most recent from 2.1), but it's always been there. I only added a handful of books to a test library so it doesn't remain up very long, only a few seconds. Perhaps the newer version has it stay up longer, or because of the icon now showing it just makes it stand out and be more noticeable to you. But it's always been there and no way to disable it.

And for variety, a new screenshot! I copied the Calibre version so it showed on the Adding dialog box.

Edit: It's easy enough to install an older Calibre version, why don't you do it and test it?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	AddingBooks.jpg
Views:	178
Size:	39.4 KB
ID:	131771  

Last edited by Ripplinger; 11-29-2014 at 09:13 PM.
Ripplinger is offline   Reply With Quote