Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 09-20-2020, 05:15 PM   #16
Uncle Robin
Diligent dilettante
Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage; Kobo Libra H2O
Quote:
Originally Posted by Luffy View Post
Jonathan Kellerman's Alex Delaware series is a problematic recommendation. I've read only a couple of books, but the reason I didn't carry on is because they are very sexual in nature. Be warned.
Thanks for the heads up, I will likely pass on that series now.
Uncle Robin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2020, 03:18 PM   #17
4691mls
Wizard
4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: ALL DEVICES ARE STOCK: Kobo Clara, Tolino Shine 2, Sony PRS-T3, T1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Luffy View Post
Jonathan Kellerman's Alex Delaware series is a problematic recommendation. I've read only a couple of books, but the reason I didn't carry on is because they are very sexual in nature. Be warned.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Robin View Post
Thanks for the heads up, I will likely pass on that series now.
It's been a while since I've read some of them so my memory may be faulty. I think that the topic varies from book to book. The ones I recall, while there may have been sex crimes involved, didn't generally involve detailed descriptions of sex acts.
4691mls is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-21-2020, 03:26 PM   #18
4691mls
Wizard
4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
I recommend...

Hanna Swensen by Joanna Fluke
Vera Stanhope by Ann Cleeves
Roderick Alley by Ngaio Marsh
Philo Vance Murder Cases by S. S. Van Dine
Chief Inspector Gamache by Louise Penny
Charlotte and Thomas Pitt by Anne Perry
Inspector Adam Dalgliesh by P. D. James

I think I read one book from the Fluke/Swensen series and it was one of those food-related books I thought was too cozy. Obviously YMMV though.

I've read some of the Marsh/Alleyn series. Those probably are a good fit with what the OP is looking for.

The Perry/Pitt series are set in Victorian England. I mostly liked the ones I read and felt like I learned something about life in Victorian England. The biggest annoyance (for me) with those is that they tend to end abruptly.
Old 09-28-2020, 09:33 AM   #19
4691mls
Wizard

The Mystery thread in the Deals section of the forum reminded me of the Harry Kemelman Rabbi Small series. I read a few of those a while back - my recollection is they were cozy but not too cozy.
Old 09-28-2020, 09:38 AM   #20
ApK
Award-Winning Participant
ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4691mls View Post
The Mystery thread in the Deals section of the forum reminded me of the Harry Kemelman Rabbi Small series. I read a few of those a while back - my recollection is they were cozy but not too cozy.
Thanks for the reminder. I read the first and enjoyed it. I've been forgetting to try the next. BTW, there was a very short lived TV series with Art Carney based on these books called "Lanigan's Rabbi." I'd like to find a way to see these sometime.
ApK is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-28-2020, 02:16 PM   #21
Uncle Robin
Diligent dilettante
Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
I've read some of the Marsh/Alleyn series. Those probably are a good fit with what the OP is looking for.
A couple of years ago I re-read some of the Alleyn stories as part of a "back to my teens" re-reading project. Some of her works held up better than my some of my teen favorite Allingham's. I am planning to continue the re-read of both, which is partly what inspired the use of "golden age style" to describe what I was looking for. In Marsh's case, the lasting legacy my teen reading of her books gave was a new perspective on Shakespeare - "light thickens" is still one of my favorite passages from literature, thanks to the Dame with the unusual name.
Old 10-08-2020, 01:20 AM   #22
basschick
Wizard
basschick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.basschick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.basschick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.basschick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.basschick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.basschick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.basschick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.basschick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.basschick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.basschick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.basschick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
I recommend...

Hanna Swensen by Joanna Fluke
Vera Stanhope by Ann Cleeves
Roderick Alley by Ngaio Marsh
Philo Vance Murder Cases by S. S. Van Dine
Chief Inspector Gamache by Louise Penny
Charlotte and Thomas Pitt by Anne Perry
Inspector Adam Dalgliesh by P. D. James
i'm a big fan of roderick alleyne and inspector fox. potential readers might be warned of the casual racism - particularly in "black as he's painted" - and classism. if you don't mind that, i like the characters and differences in the murders.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Apache View Post
If you are up to trying the genre with a twist then I recommend The Garrett P.I. Series. It is detective and mystery Noir set in a fantasy world. It kind of reminds me of the Nero Wolfe series, but instead of a fat man their is a dead man. The series is written by Glenn Cook who also authored the Black Company Series.
https://www.fantasticfiction.com/c/g...ok/garrett-pi/
Apache
wow, haven't thought about garrett pi in a while. i have most of the books in paperback somewhere. i think it's time to dig them out!
basschick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2020, 09:35 AM   #23
4691mls
Wizard

The Deals section of the forum reminded me of another series - Andrea Camilleri's Inspector Montalbano. This author definitely has a style all his own.
Old 10-08-2020, 09:43 AM   #24
Uncle Robin
Diligent dilettante

Quote:
The Deals section of the forum reminded me of another series - Andrea Camilleri's Inspector Montalbano. This author definitely has a style all his own.
I have the first two lined up waiting for me to try reading in Italian for next year's StoryGraph "non-L1 challenge" (if there is one), and the first 4 in English for when I decide to wimp out.
Old 10-08-2020, 11:05 AM   #25
4691mls
Wizard

Quote:
I have the first two lined up waiting for me to try reading in Italian for next year's StoryGraph "non-L1 challenge" (if there is one), and the first 4 in English for when I decide to wimp out.
I've only read in English (I don't read/speak Italian). If you read these books in both languages, let us know how they compare!
Old 10-08-2020, 11:16 AM   #26
Uncle Robin
Diligent dilettante

Quote:
I've only read in English (I don't read/speak Italian). If you read these books in both languages, let us know how they compare!
To describe my Italian as rudimentary would be flattering, but I want to at least try a couple of the Montalbanos to see if there's more Sicilian in them. I'm watching The Young Montalbano on and off, and disappointed by how easily I can follow the dialogue, there's almost zero Sicilian so far, except for some song snippets. I'm hoping Camilleri might use more in his books.
Old 10-08-2020, 04:53 PM   #27
Victoria
Wizard
Victoria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Victoria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Victoria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Victoria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Victoria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Victoria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Victoria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Victoria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Victoria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Victoria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Victoria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: ipad, Kindle PW, Kobo Clara; iphone 7
This isn’t a modern author, but the ‘Golden Age’ description reminded me of Gladys Mitchell (21 April 1901 – 27 July 1983) and her ‘Mrs Bradley’ series. She was a member of the Detection Club with Agatha Christie and company, and quite popular in her day.

It’s been many decades since I read the books, but I don’t remember them as being either too graphic or too cozy. The books were seen as somewhat unconventional at the time, but not by today’s standards.

I didn’t think Mitchell’s writing was on par with the more famous golden age writers. Sometimes it felt a bit convoluted. But I did enjoy reading about that era, and found the puzzles entertaining.

Last edited by Victoria; 10-08-2020 at 05:00 PM.
Victoria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2020, 07:42 PM   #28
Uncle Robin
Diligent dilettante

Quote:
Originally Posted by Victoria View Post
This isn’t a modern author, but the ‘Golden Age’ description reminded me of Gladys Mitchell (21 April 1901 – 27 July 1983) and her ‘Mrs Bradley’ series. She was a member of the Detection Club with Agatha Christie and company, and quite popular in her day.

It’s been many decades since I read the books, but I don’t remember them as being either too graphic or too cozy. The books were seen as somewhat unconventional at the time, but not by today’s standards.

I didn’t think Mitchell’s writing was on par with the more famous golden age writers. Sometimes it felt a bit convoluted. But I did enjoy reading about that era, and found the puzzles entertaining.
I skimmed the one of her stories selected for The Big Book Book of Female Detectives - I found the brief bio preceding it to be more entertaining, as in this snippet:
Quote:
"One of the biggest problems for the lack of popularity may be that Mitchell’s series character, Dame Beatrice Bradley, who appeared in sixty-six novels and several short stories, is so reptilian in tone and appearance that people are surprised that she doesn’t have a forked tongue. "
Old 10-08-2020, 08:51 PM   #29
Victoria
Wizard
Victoria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Victoria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Victoria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Victoria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Victoria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Victoria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Victoria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Victoria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Victoria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Victoria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Victoria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: ipad, Kindle PW, Kobo Clara; iphone 7
Quote:
I skimmed the one of her stories selected for The Big Book Book of Female Detectives - I found the brief bio preceding it to be more entertaining, as in this snippet:
Oh, what a great description of Bradley! I have to admit that I didn’t find her very warm blooded either.
Victoria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2020, 09:30 AM   #30
4691mls
Wizard

I remember watching the Mrs. Bradley TV series on PBS but I haven't read any of the books. I might have to look into those.