Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Viewer

Notices

Old 08-27-2023, 05:07 AM   #16
Alyssa85
Alyssa85 began at the beginning.

Device: Android / PC
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quoth View Post
To an extent. But scrolling is bad, which is why no physical ebook reader I know does it. Not even the older LCD models.

I've not even looked for studies as it's reviled except by people that have only ever read web "pages". There might not even be a study. It's amazing what is foisted on users with no study. There was originally no study about the Open Dyslectic font. It was an art project. Later studies show that simply being able to change font size and line spacing works better. Dyslectic readers I tested thought the Open Dyslectic font was the worst option and had not previously seen eink ereaders or ebooks. They thought them superior to printed books or web pages. However that wasn't a scientific study.

Though the Calibre viewer can paginate or scroll, some ereader apps don't scroll and most have pagination as the default.

An autocue is one of the valid applications of scrolling, though experienced narrators prefer pagination and will press the page turn button as they read the end of the page. You can't do decent narration with an autocue on your own, nor use on screen swipe when narrating.

Some people have literally been trained to accept scrolling due to historic bad PC application / browser design.
I have no idea how some people enjoy moving their eyes from the bottom of the page all the way to the top of the page for every single page rather than doing minimal movements and have the page scroll row by row (or a few rows at time at most).

And with all due respect to people that do research on what's "Best" for "Everyone", they can simply go screw themselves along with their studies for all I care, I know what I prefer myself and I couldn't give less care if every single study in the world says otherwise.

You do you
Alyssa85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2023, 08:35 AM   #17
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.
Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: All 4 Kinds: epub eink, Kindle, android eink, NxtPaper11
@Alyssa85
I'm not suggesting you shouldn't use scrolling.

I was simply explaining why scrolling is rarely the default for ebooks (often not for PDFs either as they mimic pages). Also some physical screens don't have enough vertical space for Letter or A4 PDF pages without scrolling.

It's practically historical accident that Web pages scroll (and for nearly 20 years earlier emails) and don't work like ebooks.
Quoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-27-2023, 12:21 PM   #18
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
I use a paperback sized viewing window (600x800). I also am far enough away, that I barely move my eyes.

I could see Tall Windows, being an issue.
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote