Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 07-26-2011, 02:10 PM   #16
wodin
Illiterate
wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung Galaxy S10+, Microsoft Surface Pro
Quote:
Originally Posted by whitedirewolf View Post
Well, both yes and no. As far as I know, an eReader should not be used in cold conditions, especially not below sub-zero temperatures. I've seen a fair amount of Kindle users reporting their Kindle as dead after having used them in cold conditions.

I don't know how other eReaders perform in various temperatures, but I believe that all devices with e-ink screen has this limitation, as it has something to do with the technology behind an e-ink screen. However, I'm not a hundred percent sure
Or maybe the ink doesn't take well to being frozen.
wodin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2011, 06:49 PM   #17
SensualPoet
Wizard
SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura HD, Kindle Paperwhite, Asus ZenPad 3, Kobo Glo
My Kindle 3 goes to Mexican beaches with me; is with me on trains, buses and airplanes. My Original Kobo travelled similarly loaded with different content. The Kobo Touch is definitely going to be exposed to Mexico later this year.

I use them naked without incident (the e-readers, naked, not me ...).
SensualPoet is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-26-2011, 07:28 PM   #18
Enkidu of Abydos
Master of Disaster
Enkidu of Abydos makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplaneEnkidu of Abydos makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplaneEnkidu of Abydos makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplaneEnkidu of Abydos makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplaneEnkidu of Abydos makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplaneEnkidu of Abydos makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplaneEnkidu of Abydos makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplaneEnkidu of Abydos makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplaneEnkidu of Abydos makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplaneEnkidu of Abydos makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplaneEnkidu of Abydos makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplane

Device: Sony Reader PRS-505
Quote:
Originally Posted by SensualPoet View Post
I use them naked without incident (the e-readers, naked, not me ...).

Quote:
Originally Posted by vans View Post
Summer holidays are here, so my annual hunt to find a good book to read on the beach is underway. However, I think it would be a bit high risk to take my eReader, so I will revert to paper.

Am I being too careful?
I'm not worried about water or dropping onto the pebbles, don't know why so many people here are, with all the waterproof cases and what not.
I'm not exactly going to go swimming with it, huge waves don't come out of nowhere around here and people dripping water usually don't drip on other people, I've almost never gotten wet from droplets shaken off other people. And as for dropping it, well you can drop it at home just as likely as you can drop it on the beach, and most floors are more than hard enough to break it just as well as pebbles. If I set it down I can put it in it's case (http://www.casecrown.com/ebook-reade...ocket-case-map) and put the case in the bag and it's reasonably safe from water and breaking.
My biggest fears would be theft and heat. I had a cellphone stolen on the beach once (cheap old one) and never (even before that) leave anything valuable in my bag or pockets at the beach. I would be too afraid to leave my e-reader alone on the beach unless someone is watching it, the risk * value factor is too great. But as long as your car is near you can just leave it in your car, it's much harder to steal a car than a bag on the beach, and you won't care much about your e-reader if your car gets stolen.
But leaving electronics in the car at summer or even taking them with you is kind of iffy. I don't have a thermometer in my car but I bet it gets over 50 °C when I'm driving to the beach in the middle of the day in the middle of the summer. The plastic sometimes gets so hot you can almost get burned from touching it, grasping the steering wheel can only be accomplished gradually, by taking heat away from it with your fingers.
So I try to avoid taking any expensive electronics into the car in the middle of day in summer. Can anyone here tell me your experiences with electronics (e-readers, smartphones, netbooks / laptops, digital cameras, external hard drives etc.) in hot cars in the summer, have you had any incidents and how sensitive to heat electronics really are ?

P.S.
Recently there was an incident here with parents (some Polish tourists) who left their 5-year old daughter in the car for 45 minutes while they were shopping or something, the kid fell into some kind of koma (from overheating and dehydration I guess) and the last I heard on the news she was stable but it seems severe brain damage has occured, she's not even recognizing her own parents. Just thinking about this has made me sad and angry...
So don't leave your electronis or your dogs and especially not your kids in your cars in summer !!!

Last edited by Enkidu of Abydos; 07-26-2011 at 07:40 PM.
Enkidu of Abydos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2011, 07:57 PM   #19
DixieGal
Hi There!
DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad
Take a paperback. Why make things hard on yourself?
DixieGal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2011, 08:47 PM   #20
Bookworm_Girl
E-reader Enthusiast
Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3; Kobo Aura One; iPad Mini 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lizzie in Ma View Post
But, in my handy dandy Trendy Digital waterproof case.
I have this bag too for my Kindle and really like it! I even read in the pool with it. I would be more worried about theft than damage from the beach/pool environment.
Bookworm_Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-27-2011, 04:25 AM   #21
vans
Zealot
vans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: ipad, Elonix 621eb, Asus Transformer, Sony PRS505
I would worry about sand getting into the SD card slot.

My wife has just given me a very used Robert Ludlum paperback that contains three of his books. I have never read Ludlum, but I think I am now sorted for the beach
vans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2011, 04:39 AM   #22
Tome Keeper
Addict
Tome Keeper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tome Keeper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tome Keeper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tome Keeper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tome Keeper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tome Keeper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tome Keeper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tome Keeper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tome Keeper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tome Keeper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tome Keeper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3 Keyboard, Surface Tablet, Android Smartphone, Laptop, Netbook
Quote:
Originally Posted by sadievan View Post
This made me wonder. How many of you who take your ereaders to beaches, pools, etc. set a password on it if possible to protect against someone buying on your account if the device is stolen. I have a kindle and it is possible to set a password. I haven't done it yet, but I haven't taken it in a public setting yet either.

Carol
My Kindle is connected to a card that has no money on it and no credit facility. I don't purchase from the device so just change the card over on Amazon when I want to purchase something then set it back. I may be overcautious though.

I'm taking a few paperbacks in case I get an exposed sun lounger (some are by the wall - great, others are in multiple rows) or don't feel the Kindle is safe in my bag. I will still take the Kindle as I'm likely to read two books a day whilst on holiday, as we are literally going for a pool side holiday, and if I took enough books I'd be the one having to go nakkid!

I have had laptops, mobile phones and DVD players out in the sun before and left in the car which can get very hot in the sun and it's all been fine.

Last edited by Tome Keeper; 07-27-2011 at 04:42 AM. Reason: more info.
Tome Keeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2011, 08:04 AM   #23
ProfCrash
Tea Enthusiast
ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle1, Kindle DX Graphite, K3 3G, IPad 3, PW2
Quote:
Originally Posted by DixieGal View Post
Take a paperback. Why make things hard on yourself?
That is why I take my Kindle. Nine days at the beach = 10-12 books. Why carry 10-12 books when I can carry my Kindle? I have a Trendy Digital waterproof case that works great and I put the password on so that if anyone where to walk off with Tavi they cannot get into him.
ProfCrash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2011, 08:05 AM   #24
DDHarriman
Guru
DDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura about

Device: Cybook Gen3, Sony PRS 505, Kindle DXG and Samsung Galaxy Note
Yes!

Since the first one bought in February 2008 up to now - next two weeks on the beach with the Kidle Dxg.

Before 2008 and for more than a decade all my pda’s and smatphones have served me well for reading in the beach.

Best regards,
DDHarriman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2011, 08:14 AM   #25
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Moto E6, Echo Show
Quote:
Originally Posted by ProfCrash View Post
That is why I take my Kindle. Nine days at the beach = 10-12 books. Why carry 10-12 books when I can carry my Kindle? I have a Trendy Digital waterproof case that works great and I put the password on so that if anyone where to walk off with Tavi they cannot get into him.
9 days at the beach = 0 ebooks and maybe 1 audiobook.
tubemonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2011, 08:19 AM   #26
ProfCrash
Tea Enthusiast
ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle1, Kindle DX Graphite, K3 3G, IPad 3, PW2
I am not all that good with still. I swim, drink beer, and read. It is a beautiful thing. I didn't have an e-reader when we went to Aruba. I ran out of books after finishing the nine paper backs I brought with me. I had just discovered the Dresden series...
ProfCrash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2011, 08:35 AM   #27
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Moto E6, Echo Show
I don't swim at the beach. The ones I visit aren't too conducive to that kind of activity.
tubemonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2011, 09:32 AM   #28
hrosvit
Moron
hrosvit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hrosvit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hrosvit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hrosvit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hrosvit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hrosvit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hrosvit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hrosvit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hrosvit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hrosvit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hrosvit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad 3, Galaxy Note 2, Nook ST
That's one of the main reasons I bought my Nook - so I didn't have to carry a bunch of books when I traveled for work or vacation.

My Nook has been to the beach twice in the 15 months I've had it. I can't imagine spending a week at the beach without it. No bags or cases, just the Oberon cover that it always wears. In terms of dropping it, well, the sand on the beach is a lot softer than the ceramic tile at home, so that's a non-issue. I don't actually take it into the water, so I don't see the necessity for a bag, unless a tsunami hits, and in that case, my Nook will probably be the least of my concerns. In short, I don't see why the beach is any less Nook-safe than my yard or house, where I use it constantly. I guess theft might be a concern, but we tend to avoid beaches where there are blankets and families every three feet; that doesn't really seem like a vacation to me. So, when the nearest family is 50 yards away, it's easy to keep an eye on your stuff.
hrosvit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2011, 09:42 AM   #29
jehane
Book addict
jehane ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jehane ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jehane ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jehane ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jehane ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jehane ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jehane ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jehane ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jehane ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jehane ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jehane ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-300/T1/Asus TF101
My sony has been to four continents so far, and has spent time at the beach, by the pool, in hot weather and cold (below freezing) and still going strong. I keep it in a map case (waterproof bag) when there's a chance of it coming into contact with the water, and in a hard case when there's a chance of it being bent or otherwise damaged. I take as much care with its security as i do with my mobile phone or purse. It's a sony, so no one can buy books using the non-existant wifi.
jehane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2011, 09:48 AM   #30
DixieGal
Hi There!
DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad
Just a word of caution: Don't be a nice person to strangers invading your space.

We were chilling on the beach, when this normal-looking woman about our age walked up, set her bag under our canopy, and asked us to watch her bag. I said "no" and she left it and went into the water. Then she came out, got her bag, then walked back up toward the street. About that time, we packed up to leave. But she was sitting beside the cars acting all suspicious. Weird, right?

It turns out that is a beach scam. They ask you to watch their big tote bags, then when you go for a walk, they put your stuff into their bags and walk away. Nobody questions it, because it is assumed that the lady pawing through your belongings is with your group.
DixieGal is offline   Reply With Quote