Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 12-21-2023, 11:47 AM   #16
elinkser
Groupie
elinkser has survived committing the World's Second Greatest Blunder.elinkser has survived committing the World's Second Greatest Blunder.elinkser has survived committing the World's Second Greatest Blunder.elinkser has survived committing the World's Second Greatest Blunder.elinkser has survived committing the World's Second Greatest Blunder.elinkser has survived committing the World's Second Greatest Blunder.elinkser has survived committing the World's Second Greatest Blunder.elinkser has survived committing the World's Second Greatest Blunder.elinkser has survived committing the World's Second Greatest Blunder.elinkser has survived committing the World's Second Greatest Blunder.elinkser has survived committing the World's Second Greatest Blunder.

Device: Kobo Clara HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quoth View Post
2) No assurance of privacy

If Kobo wanted to know what users wanted, it would be better to have an open-ended, public question,

This exercise sounds more like what the marketing folks are trained to want: how to extract previously inaccessible value from sideloading users.

Corporate:We're losing revenue stream by not having data on sideloading users,
Let's conduct a private survey asking if users want more software.

User: MORE free software? Sure, why not?

Corporate: Our private studies show users want more software.
(Prepares to accumulate more marketing data and ad revenue.)
elinkser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2023, 12:25 PM   #17
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.
Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: All 4 Kinds: epub eink, Kindle, android eink, NxtPaper11
maybe.

But ultimately they need to only make profit from selling the ereaders without any subscription and regard bookstore as icing or the Kobo ereaders will join the Sony PRS series.

They are not going to turn ereaders into iThings and Androids making Apple & Google money from the store services. Amazon is trying that with Fire and Scribe. and with over 90 % of English Language ebook market, yet users only want free sync.

They have Kobo plus and audiobooks already. The audiobooks won't sell ereaders and can hardly compete to Amazon's Audible and neither has much value for ereaders.

They need to play to strength, the decent ereader, and regard the bookshop as icing.

If they think the survey is telling them to offer paid services they will be wrong.
Quoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-21-2023, 01:46 PM   #18
Gone
Out of order
Gone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Libra Colour
Took the survey. Thanks for the info!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Capture d’écran, le 2023-12-21 à 13.42.54.png
Views:	135
Size:	180.5 KB
ID:	205368  
Gone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2023, 02:07 PM   #19
Gone
Out of order
Gone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Libra Colour
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrChiper View Post
I learned something about already available tooling by others as Bionic Reading. Never would have known that.
Yeah, well, could be cool, but I won't pay a subscription just to read "better".
Gone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2023, 02:14 PM   #20
DrChiper
Bookish
DrChiper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrChiper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrChiper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrChiper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrChiper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrChiper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrChiper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrChiper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrChiper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrChiper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrChiper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PC, t1, t2, t3, aura 2 v1, clara HD, Libra 2, Libra Color, Nxtpaper 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Claude_C View Post
Yeah, well, could be cool, but I won't pay a subscription just to read "better".
Nor do I. But at least now I know somebody did made a business case out of it.
DrChiper is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-21-2023, 07:40 PM   #21
rcentros
eReader Wrangler
rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PB HD3, GL3, Tolino Vision 4, Voyage, Clara HD
Thanks for the link. For what Kobo could add (and if you had a magic wand what would you change) I mentioned a Send-to-Kobo via email feature and built in ADE (like PocketBook).

EDIT: I didn't use the word "PocketBook" in the survey.
rcentros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2023, 08:47 PM   #22
rashkae
Wizard
rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
I answered the Bionic Reading question with a have tried it and it's awful. It is awful and Kobo need to know this. I do not want it in the firmware. Bionic Reading does not work.
I don't like it so I don't want to be available to anyone who does is the most JSWolf Comment ever.
rashkae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2023, 08:57 PM   #23
issybird
o saeclum infacetum
issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: H2O, Aura One, PW5
Quote:
Originally Posted by rcentros View Post
Thanks for the link. For what Kobo could add (and if you had a magic wand what would you change) I mentioned a Send-to-Kobo via email feature
That's what I suggested also, with the emphasis on documents available across all my Kobo devices and in my Kobo account.
issybird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2023, 09:24 PM   #24
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Clara, Touch, Tolino EPOS
Quote:
Originally Posted by issybird View Post
That's what I suggested also, with the emphasis on documents available across all my Kobo devices and in my Kobo account.
I can see that IF they implement syncing of sideloaded content, that eMail to device would be a logical addition.
PeterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2023, 10:51 PM   #25
twowheels
Wizard
twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara HD, iPad Pro 10", iPhone 15 Pro
My "magic wand" answer was a 5" reader with adjustable warm lighting and page turn buttons similar to those on the Kindle 3 (Keyboard).
twowheels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2023, 11:47 PM   #26
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Libra Colour, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Quote:
Originally Posted by twowheels View Post
My "magic wand" answer was a 5" reader with adjustable warm lighting and page turn buttons similar to those on the Kindle 3 (Keyboard).
You mean like the D-pad on the original Kobo and Kobo WiFi models?
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2023, 02:41 AM   #27
pickyaxe
Addict
pickyaxe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pickyaxe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pickyaxe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pickyaxe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pickyaxe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pickyaxe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pickyaxe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pickyaxe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pickyaxe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pickyaxe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pickyaxe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
the fact that Kobo did not do a survey here gives me the impression that they're very out of touch of who their userbase is - a few minutes of due diligence would have allowed them to find this place. was davidfor really the only Kobo-affiliated person here?

that along with some of the questions in the survey really doesn't inspire much confidence.
pickyaxe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2023, 05:12 AM   #28
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.
Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: All 4 Kinds: epub eink, Kindle, android eink, NxtPaper11
Here is probably not representative of the majority of Kobo users?
Quoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2023, 07:24 AM   #29
PennyDred
PennyDred could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.PennyDred could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.PennyDred could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.PennyDred could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.PennyDred could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.PennyDred could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.PennyDred could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.PennyDred could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.PennyDred could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.PennyDred could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.PennyDred could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.

Device: Kobo Elipsa, Kobo Aura H2O (original)
They knew we would find it though..! But the typical Reddit user wouldn't necessarily come here. My main 'magic wand' request was better battery-life and an official SD card slot on the Elipsa sized readers. Given that they're not waterproof anyway.
In the longer term, I'd love to see something modular, like the Fairphone.
PennyDred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2023, 08:31 AM   #30
John F
Grand Sorcerer
John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo HD
I forgot to mention it in the survey, so could someone mention a (open) remote page turning device.
John F is offline   Reply With Quote