Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 11-03-2009, 03:50 PM   #16
calvin-c
Guru
calvin-c ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.calvin-c ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.calvin-c ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.calvin-c ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.calvin-c ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.calvin-c ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.calvin-c ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.calvin-c ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.calvin-c ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.calvin-c ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.calvin-c ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Moon+ Pro
Quote:
Originally Posted by Connallmac View Post
Mrs. Palin certainly cracked the whip on her ghost writer to get her drivel in to stores before then!
Maybe, although drivel is pretty easy to write. Getting her book out so quickly would have been considerably harder if she had had something of substance to say.
calvin-c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2009, 04:16 PM   #17
fugazied
Wizard
fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: iPod Touch
I am sure the CEO is accurately calling the nook a hit lol. I think the nook gets to benefit from the Amazon experience and their associated problems/successes so they kind of get a head start.

I need to find someone who is ordering one so I can do a hands on comparison to my kindle!
fugazied is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-03-2009, 04:26 PM   #18
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
I was hoping the nook would tank. B&N has helped with yet another DRM mess. Thanks for screwing around with ePub that didn't need your messing with.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2009, 01:08 AM   #19
Darqref
space cadet
Darqref ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Darqref ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Darqref ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Darqref ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Darqref ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Darqref ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Darqref ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Darqref ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Darqref ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Darqref ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Darqref ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Rocket PRO, gen3, Pocketbook360
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
I was hoping the nook would tank. B&N has helped with yet another DRM mess. Thanks for screwing around with ePub that didn't need your messing with.
Thanks for finding a way to sell epubs that DOES NOT NEED ADE!!!

All I care about is getting the epub file so it can be de-drmed, without ever infecting my pc with ADE.
Darqref is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2009, 08:31 PM   #20
MV64
Addict
MV64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MV64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MV64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MV64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MV64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MV64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MV64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MV64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MV64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MV64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MV64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-505
Quote:
I was very surprised to find that there was almost no space devoted to advertising the nook in the B&N store I visited in Indianapolis yesterday. There was a small display with brochures on the customer service counter in the center of the store, and a smaller one on the end of the sales counter. You really wouldn't think from seeing it that was a major part of their future strategy. It almost seemed like an after thought. I also overheard one of the employees trying to answer some questions about the nook to an elderly woman at the customer service center, without much success. He really didn't seem to know much about it, though that may have been more of a failing on his part than on that of B&N. Hard to say.

It's not the store manager. As far as I know, not even the big stores actually have nooks in their stores yet. The smaller store I work for will be getting a display model only at the end of November. Big stores will be getting actual stock to sell from the store.

What's funny is that of all the stuff corporate has sent the stores, I still have no idea what types of files it can read (meaning, can it read any generic files or is it proprietary where you have to download books off of BN.com)?

Also, honestly, aside from the touch screen and the fact you can read entire books for free if you're in a Barnes and Noble store, I don't see a difference between it and the Kindle.

Basically, corporate has sent a sheet out giving side-by-side comparisons of the Kindle and the nook. The only real differences are: one uses Verizon, one uses ATT. Oh, and nook as the color touch screen. I mean, honestly, they have the same features for the most part, just provided by different parties. So for someone without a Kindle, the nook is a great choice, since it has color, but if you don't care about a color touch screen there's nothing that makes then nook all that much better.
MV64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-12-2009, 08:01 AM   #21
basschick
Wizard
basschick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.basschick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.basschick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.basschick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.basschick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.basschick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.basschick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.basschick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.basschick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.basschick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.basschick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
no stores have the nook yet - but some have major marketing in store already.

there is a major advantage of the nook over the kindle - the formats it reads aren't proprietary, and . also you can loan a friend or spouse a book once.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MV64 View Post
It's not the store manager. As far as I know, not even the big stores actually have nooks in their stores yet. The smaller store I work for will be getting a display model only at the end of November. Big stores will be getting actual stock to sell from the store.

What's funny is that of all the stuff corporate has sent the stores, I still have no idea what types of files it can read (meaning, can it read any generic files or is it proprietary where you have to download books off of BN.com)?

Also, honestly, aside from the touch screen and the fact you can read entire books for free if you're in a Barnes and Noble store, I don't see a difference between it and the Kindle.

Basically, corporate has sent a sheet out giving side-by-side comparisons of the Kindle and the nook. The only real differences are: one uses Verizon, one uses ATT. Oh, and nook as the color touch screen. I mean, honestly, they have the same features for the most part, just provided by different parties. So for someone without a Kindle, the nook is a great choice, since it has color, but if you don't care about a color touch screen there's nothing that makes then nook all that much better.
basschick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2009, 09:37 AM   #22
rhadin
Literacy = Understanding
rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook, Nook Tablet
Quote:
Originally Posted by basschick View Post
there is a major advantage of the nook over the kindle - the formats it reads aren't proprietary, and . also you can loan a friend or spouse a book once.
And one major disadvantage: in general, B&N ebooks (other than the bestsellers) cost significantly more than Amazon ebooks and your membership discount doesn't work for B&N ebooks. (OK, two major disadvantages. )

Surprisingly, ebooks are often less expensive at Fictionwise than at B&N.
rhadin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2009, 09:44 AM   #23
desertgrandma
Enjoying the show....
desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: A K1, Kindle Paperwhite, an Ipod, IPad2, Iphone, an Ipad Mini & macAir
Quote:
Originally Posted by basschick View Post
no stores have the nook yet - but some have major marketing in store already.

And one major disadvantage. You can't use BN gift certificates to buy ebooks. What are they thinking?
desertgrandma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2009, 01:15 AM   #24
MV64
Addict
MV64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MV64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MV64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MV64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MV64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MV64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MV64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MV64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MV64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MV64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MV64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-505
Yeah, it doesn't make a whole lot of sense, but BN is new to this whole ebook thing.

I can tell you though that stores are being told that sometime soon memberships and gift cards should be able to be applied to ebooks.

Are we sure that the nook isn't proprietary? In that case, you wouldn't have to go buy books exclusively from BN.com, which totally negates the disadvantage of BN.com being more expensive, correct?

They haven't told the stores yet about the file types. I know it can read PDF, but not sure about anything else. I only have a Sony and I'm not really familiar with types beyond PDF, the Kindle and .lrf.
MV64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2009, 01:29 AM   #25
phenomshel
ZCD BombShel
phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad, STB Kindle Oasis
Quote:
Originally Posted by MV64 View Post
Yeah, it doesn't make a whole lot of sense, but BN is new to this whole ebook thing.

I can tell you though that stores are being told that sometime soon memberships and gift cards should be able to be applied to ebooks.

Are we sure that the nook isn't proprietary? In that case, you wouldn't have to go buy books exclusively from BN.com, which totally negates the disadvantage of BN.com being more expensive, correct?

They haven't told the stores yet about the file types. I know it can read PDF, but not sure about anything else. I only have a Sony and I'm not really familiar with types beyond PDF, the Kindle and .lrf.
MV, I can corroborate what you say about the lack of knowledge in the stores about the Nook. I went to the BN in DeKalb, IL, last weekend, and I knew more about the device than the clerk did. I think I knew more about it than her manager did, too. Which was kind of embarrassing...

I'm glad about the membership and gift card changes, if they turn out to be implemented.
phenomshel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2009, 01:35 AM   #26
Kris777
Banned
Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, jetBook-Lite, jetBook mini, Toshiba Thrive, JETBOOK COLOR
Quote:
Originally Posted by rhadin View Post
And one major disadvantage: in general, B&N ebooks (other than the bestsellers) cost significantly more than Amazon ebooks and your membership discount doesn't work for B&N ebooks. (OK, two major disadvantages. )

Surprisingly, ebooks are often less expensive at Fictionwise than at B&N.
If you have Nook and 10 friends you can buy eBook for $10 and 10 friends can read it for free. In case if each friend will bay 1 ebook and will share with you... after some simple calculation you will find out that you can read 10 ebooks for $10 that is much cheaper than buy ebooks on Amazon website...
If you have 20 or 30 friends or if you are student and in your school 1000 students and each student has Nook... you may share and read all bestsellers almost for FREE...
If you don't have friends it will be better to keep Kindle and buy eBooks on Amazon website.
Kris777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2009, 01:46 AM   #27
kindlekitten
Professional Adventuress
kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Olympic Peninsula on the OTHER Washington! (the big green clean one on the west coast!)
Device: Kindle, the original! Times Two! and gifting an International Kindle
go back and think about that a bit... it's kind of like the "if everyone sent me a dollar" scenario
kindlekitten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2009, 06:43 AM   #28
Connallmac
Transplanted NYer
Connallmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Connallmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Connallmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Connallmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Connallmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Connallmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Connallmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Connallmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Connallmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Connallmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Connallmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Fire HD 8.9", Kindle Fire HD 7", Kindle Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kris777 View Post
If you have Nook and 10 friends you can buy eBook for $10 and 10 friends can read it for free. In case if each friend will bay 1 ebook and will share with you... after some simple calculation you will find out that you can read 10 ebooks for $10 that is much cheaper than buy ebooks on Amazon website...
If you have 20 or 30 friends or if you are student and in your school 1000 students and each student has Nook... you may share and read all bestsellers almost for FREE...
If you don't have friends it will be better to keep Kindle and buy eBooks on Amazon website.
The problem with that theory is that only one of your ten friends can read it for free, ever. As B&N has admitted the lend feature can only be used once for a book ever.
Connallmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2009, 07:46 AM   #29
Kris777
Banned
Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
The problem with that theory is that only one of your ten friends can read it for free, ever. As B&N has admitted the lend feature can only be used once for a book ever.
No. One friend can read it during 14 days and after it your book will be back on your Nook automatically. As soon as you get it back you can pass it to your second friend etc. 10 friends cannot read your book at the same time but they can read it one by one.
Old 11-13-2009, 07:50 AM   #30
Kris777
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by kindlekitten View Post
go back and think about that a bit... it's kind of like the "if everyone sent me a dollar" scenario
I don't see "if everyone sent me a dollar" scenario here. Just great idea.