Old 05-24-2010, 06:27 PM   #16
cheerio6414
Addict
cheerio6414 began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by markbot View Post
http://online.wsj.com/article/SB1000...206855634.html

HAHAHHA.....another journalist drinking the iPad koolaid.
they do it to sell papers
cheerio6414 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2010, 09:19 AM   #17
Steven Lyle Jordan
Grand Sorcerer
Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by markbot View Post
HAHAHHA.....another journalist drinking the iPad koolaid.
Actually, the article clearly indicated the iPad was only one of a number of digital influences that, when combined, are serving to erode B&N's physical infrastructure. True, it did suggest that it will have an inordinately large influence compared to other devices, but we're still in the middle of iPad Hype, so that's expected.

I largely agree with riemann42's ideas, with one addition: Put more effort into publishing all books digitally. My list of desired books that have not been made digital is only growing, which means my buying is shrinking.

I especially think making bookstores a place where you can browse through physical books (or specialized display kiosks), then purchase and download them on the spot, is the future. Heck, if I could walk into a B&N, either flip through a book on a shelf, or see samples, cover art, etc on a kiosk... purchase it while I'm standing right there... see it appear on my smartphone... and either go home, or sit down to read it with my favorite beverage... you better believe I'd spend a lot more time in their stores, and spend a lot more on books.
Steven Lyle Jordan is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-25-2010, 12:21 PM   #18
Maggie Leung
Wizard
Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.

Device: Kindle, iPad
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Jordan View Post
I especially think making bookstores a place where you can browse through physical books (or specialized display kiosks), then purchase and download them on the spot, is the future. Heck, if I could walk into a B&N, either flip through a book on a shelf, or see samples, cover art, etc on a kiosk... purchase it while I'm standing right there... see it appear on my smartphone... and either go home, or sit down to read it with my favorite beverage... you better believe I'd spend a lot more time in their stores, and spend a lot more on books.
You can do this now with the nook, and the B&N app loaded on various devices, including iPads and iPhones. I've done likewise with my Kindle and smart phone at B&N and Borders, though I buy from Amazon.com in those instances, so B&N and Borders do not benefit (outside of purchases I make at the stores, such as print books, CDs, gift cards, coffee).

I regularly visit brick-and-mortar bookstores, look at what's new and buy e-books based on what I find interesting. I buy them at the store so I don't forget, and I often start reading 'em in the attached coffee shops.
Maggie Leung is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2010, 12:36 PM   #19
Steven Lyle Jordan
Grand Sorcerer
Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maggie Leung View Post
You can do this now with the nook, and the B&N app loaded on various devices, including iPads and iPhones.
I know... but my biggest problem isn't that, it's that the books I want aren't digitally offered yet.
Old 05-25-2010, 12:41 PM   #20
Maggie Leung
Wizard
Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.

Quote:
I know... but my biggest problem isn't that, it's that the books I want aren't digitally offered yet.
Brick-and-mortar stores don't have control over that, unfortunately. I'd like all books to be available digitally, too. I figure we can make our money talk by buying digitally. It's going to take time, though, since e-book sales are only a sliver of book sales now.
Advert
Old 05-25-2010, 12:53 PM   #21
Steven Lyle Jordan
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maggie Leung View Post
Brick-and-mortar stores don't have control over that, unfortunately. I'd like all books to be available digitally, too. I figure we can make our money talk by buying digitally. It's going to take time, though, since e-book sales are only a sliver of book sales now.
True enough. One thing they could do, right now, would be to indicate at the shelf location of the book, or on the purchasing label, etc, that the book is available digitally. I've found a few books, then had to do my own online search on my phone to see if it was available... a simple indicator, such as an ebook logo or format icon, would help.

My money is talking by buying digitally... basically, it's been reduced to a tiny whisper. Maybe when the stores have to cock their heads, cup their ears and say, "Why is it so quiet out there?" will they take notice.
Old 05-25-2010, 01:02 PM   #22
Maggie Leung
Wizard

Quote:
True enough. One thing they could do, right now, would be to indicate at the shelf location of the book, or on the purchasing label, etc, that the book is available digitally. I've found a few books, then had to do my own online search on my phone to see if it was available... a simple indicator, such as an ebook logo or format icon, would help.

My money is talking by buying digitally... basically, it's been reduced to a tiny whisper. Maybe when the stores have to cock their heads, cup their ears and say, "Why is it so quiet out there?" will they take notice.
I don't always check the price of a print book before I check whether it's available digitally, but at least twice I've come across print books that say how much the digital version costs. (You know where they typically print the prices for U.S., other countries, etc.? Well, they had a line that said "e-book," "digital edition" or some such.) I don't remember which publisher(s) did that, but I found that handy.