Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 02-11-2022, 07:14 PM   #2926
AlanHK
Guru
AlanHK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlanHK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlanHK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlanHK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlanHK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlanHK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlanHK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlanHK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlanHK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlanHK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlanHK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW-3, iPad, Android phone
Quote:
Originally Posted by NiLuJe View Post
It kinda does: either remove it, or re-encode it properly.
The cache only applies to Cover mode. Cover mode will *never* generate broken images. That excerpt applies to user-provided content in cycle mode .
I'm still confused.
I am just using the cover mode, never made my own screens.

So, the problem is due to a broken image.
The app makes these screensaver images from the book files.
So it must have made the bad image.
But now, using the same book sources, I have no problems, so was it interrupted -- can that happen if I connect to USB at the wrong time?

Is there anywhere it reports errors, which image it was choking on?
AlanHK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2022, 05:02 PM   #2927
NiLuJe
BLAM!
NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2i, 3g, 4, 5w, PW, PW2, PW5; Kobo H2O, Forma, Elipsa, Sage, C2E
You quoted something explicitly referring to the "'image cycle" mode, and you've only just mentioned that you're actually using cover mode ;o).

Cover mode should *never* produce that behavior (at worst, you'll get a stale cover, or the default "pending processing" one).

That said, yes, suspending straight after opening a new book may royally screw things up . I'm pretty sure that's also mentioned somewhere in the docs.
NiLuJe is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-15-2022, 12:52 AM   #2928
AlanHK
Guru
AlanHK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlanHK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlanHK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlanHK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlanHK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlanHK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlanHK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlanHK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlanHK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlanHK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlanHK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW-3, iPad, Android phone
Quote:
You quoted something explicitly referring to the "'image cycle" mode, and you've only just mentioned that you're actually using cover mode ;o).
Sorry, the part that DOES apply is just "Get the last thing shown on screen".

Quote:
Cover mode should *never* produce that behavior (at worst, you'll get a stale cover, or the default "pending processing" one).
Well, it did. It was just showing the last screen.

Looking at the SS settings, I see there is a "last screen" mode (I had thought that was just an error mode -- a bit alarming, since it's indistinguishable from a freeze with an unresponsive screen. I rebooted to get out of it before I realised it was a acreensaver). So does it fall back to that mode by default?

You may suspect that I switched it over myself, I can only say I never opened the settings after initial setup until I was trying to fix this. It worked as expected, showing covers, for about a week before this happened.

Quote:
That said, yes, suspending straight after opening a new book may royally screw things up . I'm pretty sure that's also mentioned somewhere in the docs.
So, what is the best way to recover in that case? Clear the cover cache, restart?
AlanHK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2022, 02:51 PM   #2929
NiLuJe
BLAM!
NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I don't quite recall what happens in case you somehow break cover mode, but no SS at all might be one of the things that could happen, I guess (haven't actively used Kindles in years now :s)?

In case the brokenness made it to disk, yeah, a cover cache clear sounds sensible; otherwise, the answer for how to jog the system into recovering from broken SS parsing is indeed restarting the device (or the UI).
Old 02-17-2022, 11:53 AM   #2930
C.Bandicoot
C.Bandicoot began at the beginning.

Device: K5 (Touch)
I don't know if this has been mentioned here already if so, please forgive me but I didn't want to read 196 pages just in case:
I'm on a Kindle Touch (K5) and almost all of my custom screen saver images have an imprint of the last visible screen on them its not very strong but definitely visible. Like if I was on the home screen, you can see the KUAL button and the example book thing shine through the image if I was inside KUAL you see the menu buttons shine through.

Its not a big issue but still kinda annoying if you know its there :S
C.Bandicoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-17-2022, 12:17 PM   #2931
j.p.s
Grand Sorcerer
j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: pb360
Quote:
Originally Posted by C.Bandicoot View Post
I don't know if this has been mentioned here already if so, please forgive me but I didn't want to read 196 pages just in case:
I'm on a Kindle Touch (K5) and almost all of my custom screen saver images have an imprint of the last visible screen on them its not very strong but definitely visible. Like if I was on the home screen, you can see the KUAL button and the example book thing shine through the image if I was inside KUAL you see the menu buttons shine through.

Its not a big issue but still kinda annoying if you know its there :S
That is screen ghosting and is a hardware issue independent of software except that some software refreshes the screen more often as a mitigation.
j.p.s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2022, 01:03 PM   #2932
C.Bandicoot
C.Bandicoot began at the beginning.

Device: K5 (Touch)
Quote:
Originally Posted by j.p.s View Post
That is screen ghosting and is a hardware issue independent of software except that some software refreshes the screen more often as a mitigation.
That would be really nice if that could be added to the hack, like the muli-refresh for the k5 at least not sure if more recent models have the same issue
C.Bandicoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2022, 09:31 PM   #2933
kbs24
kbs24 began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle KT4, PW3, PW2021
Several months ago I used these methods to jailbreak and run screensavers on my KT4. I had no problems. I just bought a used PW3, on FW 5.13.3, kept it in airplane mode, and successfully went through all of the steps to jailbreak (kindlebreak method) and add Kual, Python, SS, etc. However, I held off on cancelling the special offers with Amazon, so I knew I would not be able to actually use the SS hack. Soon after that I went onto Wifi to register and use the kindle pw, and of course the FW updated to 5.13.7. So, I ran the JB hotfix, and everything looked fine. Today I had Amazon remove the special offers. I then took 4 of my screensaver images from my KT4 and resized them to the 1072x1448. Put them into the linkss screensavers folder named consecutively bg_ss00 etc. But I cannot get the PW3 to run the screensavers. Covers mode so far seems to work(note the new FW update also has this as a stock option in settings.) My pics are all converted in size and in .png format. All of the KT4 pics are 32-bit grayscale I did not have to take them down to 8_bit. Do you possibly have a clue what I have done wrong?

Last edited by kbs24; 03-02-2022 at 09:34 PM. Reason: forgot something
kbs24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2022, 02:30 PM   #2934
NiLuJe
BLAM!

Quote:
Originally Posted by kbs24 View Post
Put them into the linkss screensavers folder named consecutively bg_ss00 etc.
*meep!*

That's not how this works (i.e., this is actually handled by the hack itself, read the docs for the standard cycle mode again ).

You also failed to mention what actually happens on suspend ^^.
Old 04-30-2022, 02:13 AM   #2935
modified
Connoisseur
modified is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!modified is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!modified is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!modified is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!modified is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!modified is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!modified is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!modified is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!modified is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!modified is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!modified is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!

Device: PW5
Dark mode issues

I've noticed some dark mode problems with a newly jailbroken PW5 (5.14.2).

After toggling dark mode on, the screensaver is stuck on the current image (does not cycle through the set).

After rebooting with dark mode on, the screensaver does not appear on suspend. It's just a blank screen. Toggling off dark mode brings back the screensaver.

Edit to add:
I solved this issue by turning off the show cover setting.
Apparently the combination of show cover + dark mode does odd things.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Last edited by modified; 04-30-2022 at 10:08 AM. Reason: Found fix
modified is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2022, 01:31 PM   #2936
NiLuJe
BLAM!

Which *show cover* setting? The hack's of the stock UI's?

Keep in mind this thing has *never* been tested on FW versions with native cover support .
Old 04-30-2022, 07:31 PM   #2937
modified
Connoisseur
modified is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!modified is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!modified is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!modified is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!modified is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!modified is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!modified is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!modified is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!modified is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!modified is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!modified is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!

Device: PW5
Stock UI's show cover.

Quote:
Which *show cover* setting? The hack's of the stock UI's?

Keep in mind this thing has *never* been tested on FW versions with native cover support .
modified is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2022, 04:29 PM   #2938
jaum20
jaum20 began at the beginning.

Device: KT3
I had this working fine, but I changed my personal info and tried to clean the cover and personal info caches using the Screensaver Tools in the KUAL menu. Now I can't make it to work again. All I get is the default "hasn't yet successfuly processed a book cover" message.

Any ideas?
jaum20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2022, 10:43 AM   #2939
jaum20
jaum20 began at the beginning.

Device: KT3
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaum20 View Post
I had this working fine, but I changed my personal info and tried to clean the cover and personal info caches using the Screensaver Tools in the KUAL menu. Now I can't make it to work again. All I get is the default "hasn't yet successfuly processed a book cover" message.

Any ideas?
Nevermind, it worked after I opened a few books. Now, a warning:

Do not be dumb as I was and do not activate the "display cover" option if you are on >= 5.13.6 AND are using the screensaver hack. This will mess your system up
jaum20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2022, 09:41 AM   #2940
0xSiegfried
0xSiegfried is on a distinguished road

Device: KOA3
Hello, this is my first message and I would like to ask for

I just jailbroken my KOA3 Fw. 5.14.3, installed KOReader and Screensavers hack extensions. However when I set in KOReader the screensavers default folder as Screensavers Hack folder and I check "Use random image from folder as screensaver", Once I close my Kindle, KOReader crashes and I find myself in the Kindle main screen.

So how to "Force" KOReader to use ScreenSavers Hack Image Folder without crashing ?

Thank you.
0xSiegfried is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
kindle touch hacks, paperwhite, python, screensavers, touch