Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 08-14-2013, 07:50 AM   #271
mbovenka
Wizard
mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adoby View Post
Ah... Another Norton Commander survivor. I get my fix mostly on Midnight Commander nowadays.
Total Commander FTW
mbovenka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2013, 09:12 AM   #272
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
@Adoby: Turned out to be easier than I thought it would, just a 100 lines of code. https://github.com/kovidgoyal/calibr...f3d1c4e7a574b9
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-14-2013, 09:40 AM   #273
Adoby
Handy Elephant
Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Thinkpad E595, Ubuntu Mate, Huawei Mediapad 5, Bouye Likebook Plus
I am stunned! From the vague suggestion of a tabbed interface for virtual libraries to an improved implementation in around a day...

Will have to do some more work on my virtual libraries.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbovenka View Post
Total Commander FTW
Doesn't count. It is graphics based. Unclean and a herasy and abomination!

Last edited by Adoby; 08-14-2013 at 09:46 AM.
Adoby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2013, 11:06 AM   #274
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
@Adoby I don't know anyone who would ordinarily run multiple 'instances' of firefox - apart from programmers and people who do things just because they can be done.

Never had a norton anything on any of my computers - I had my first dual pane file manager on Star and then on Lisa, wrote it myself first in modula2-ish and then in smalltalk-ish - I even had it on Warp. Today I use an elderly version of xplorer2.

When I said "I think dual pane interface to two physical libraries would be more useful than virtual library tabs" I was not intending to imply that it was a functional alternative to virtual library tabs - only that I would find it more useful. The most VR's I have is 5, so Alt/R and a couple of up-arrows is fine. Wouldn't mind having the VL menu in the standard context menu though.

BR
BetterRed is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2013, 11:23 AM   #275
ParadiseLost
Enthusiast
ParadiseLost can self-interpret dreams as they happen.ParadiseLost can self-interpret dreams as they happen.ParadiseLost can self-interpret dreams as they happen.ParadiseLost can self-interpret dreams as they happen.ParadiseLost can self-interpret dreams as they happen.ParadiseLost can self-interpret dreams as they happen.ParadiseLost can self-interpret dreams as they happen.ParadiseLost can self-interpret dreams as they happen.ParadiseLost can self-interpret dreams as they happen.ParadiseLost can self-interpret dreams as they happen.ParadiseLost can self-interpret dreams as they happen.

Device: None
Wow, I love all the insane new additions coming to calibre. The only requests that I would have are:

1. Would it be possible to have the menu bar icon arrows all at mid height like "add books" versus the "library" button which is at the bottom? (connect/share, quality check, view manager are also at the bottom). I think that helps a smidge on the "polish" of an amazing program.

2. In the new cover grid display would it be possible to set the bg color? ie. black or white or whatever? Perhaps some may want to add an image for the bg? Just curious

Love the idea of the tabbed virtual libraries. Hoping this works as Mr. Goyal suggested with both the cover grid and the list view. Thanks again for your work.

Edit: nevermind number 2 >.>

Last edited by ParadiseLost; 08-14-2013 at 11:34 AM.
ParadiseLost is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-14-2013, 11:27 AM   #276
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired
DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Icarus Illumina XL HD, Nexus 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by ParadiseLost View Post
In the new cover grid display would it be possible to set the bg color? ie. black or white or whatever?
Already a feature.
DoctorOhh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2013, 04:24 AM   #277
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

The arrows being at the bottom indicate that you clicking the button will popup a menu. Arrows at the side indicate that you either have to right click or click the arrow to popup the menu.
Old 08-16-2013, 04:26 AM   #278
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre

Version 0.9.44 contains the following newdb changes since the last beta build:

1) Virtual Libraries as tabs
2) Center the grid view
3) Indicate which books are on device when a device in connected in the grid view
Old 08-16-2013, 05:20 AM   #279
hakan42
Zealot
hakan42 is on a distinguished road

Device: Nook Classic rooted; Galaxy S IV with Aldiko, other older devices
Amaaaaazingly fast...

@kovid, do you actually do anything else but eat, drink and coding on calibre all day long?
hakan42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2013, 05:26 AM   #280
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre

It's amazing how much you can do when you enjoy your work
Old 08-16-2013, 06:16 AM   #281
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired
DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

The centering of the cover grid has a blip. As I slowly readjust the book details pane until there is almost room for another book, there seems to about a 50px area where the books align to the left and leave a large gap to the right. See attached.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	covergrid.jpg
Views:	288
Size:	111.8 KB
ID:	109457   Click image for larger version

Name:	covergrid2.jpg
Views:	281
Size:	128.9 KB
ID:	109458   Click image for larger version

Name:	covergrid3.jpg
Views:	276
Size:	130.4 KB
ID:	109459  
Old 08-16-2013, 07:17 AM   #282
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre

@DoctorOhh: Indeed, a bug in my layout calculation, fix will be in next build.
Old 08-16-2013, 07:31 AM   #283
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired

Quote:
Originally Posted by kovidgoyal View Post
@DoctorOhh: Indeed, a bug in my layout calculation, fix will be in next build.
Between testing your new backend and Calibre Companion's beta release of the next version it is like Christmas came early.
Old 08-16-2013, 07:36 AM   #284
Adoby
Handy Elephant
Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Thinkpad E595, Ubuntu Mate, Huawei Mediapad 5, Bouye Likebook Plus
Great update!

Love the tabs for virtual libraries!

One suggestion for improvement regarding the tabs.

It would be nice if calibre attempted to preserve some of the context when switching virtual library.

For instance when I have a virtual library open, and a book highlighted, and then open the tab for All Books, then it would be very nice if the book that was highlighted could still be highlighted and in the view.

Or if I have All books open and highlight a book, and open another tab, it would be great if that book still was highlighted and in view.

If the book isn't present in the newly opened tab, then it would be nice if the view opened at a position where that book would be, using the current sort order, if it had been present. And as long as no new book is highlighted that "virtual bookmark" is preserved. A sort of helpful memory.

That way it would be easy to use the tabs to "search" for books, by for instance the same author, under different tabs. Or see if the same book is present under some other tab.

For large libraries it could be a performance hit, so perhaps it should be optional. A checkbox somewhere for "Use virtual bookmark when switching virtual libraries".

Example use case:
Sort by author. You find some SF Omnibus by David Weber in the Omnibus virtual library tab (tags:"omnibus") and highlight it. But when you switch to the SF tab (tags:"SciFi") it isn't there. You switch back to the Omnibus tab and edit metadata for the book to add the "SciFi" tag needed to be shown in the SF virtual library. Switch over to SF and verify that the book is there. Then you switch to see All books by Weber. And then click on the Fantasy tab to see all Fantasy books by Weber. The omnibus is not there, but other books by David Weber are there. When you switch to the Non-fiction tab you just find a book about the philosophy of experimental biology by Marcel Weber. But when you then switch to Fiction you are back with the SF Omnibus you started with highlighted, since you didn't highlight any other book while flipping between virtual libraries.

Whenever a book is highlighted, the virtual bookmark is updated.
Every time a virtual library is opened, the virtual bookmark is applied. If an exact match, then the book is highligthed. Otherwise the view is updated so the next book, closest to matching the virtual bookmark in current sort, is in view but not highlighted.

Last edited by Adoby; 08-16-2013 at 08:25 AM.
Adoby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2013, 08:45 AM   #285
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre

@Adoby: That's rather more effort than it's worth to me. Personally, I would find the idea of switching contexts while working on a set of books to be too jarring. I tend to use VLs to create distinct subsets of books, not overlapping ones.