Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 03-06-2009, 10:42 AM   #271
VDR928
VDR928 began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 2
I have yet to be able to actually get the PID to work. I downloaded the free "The Naturals" book and tried but no success. THAN I ought a book from Amazon which was NOT fomatted right, evidentely, and caused all kinds of problems with the Kindle 2 (freezing up, ALL buttons). They finally agreed it was the book, and removed it (had to have help because the thing would NOT delete!) and now the Kndle is fine and they refunded my money. They sent it back to the publisher... (Zondervan) I still intend to master that PID (and thank you Pilot Bob for your PM help) but I have been super busy and have not had the time it takes, yet!
VDR928 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2009, 08:49 AM   #272
stevepxs
stevepxs began at the beginning.

Device: none
This is just the thing to get e-books into the mainstream better. All the hacking that's gone into the Psp have made Sony's little handheld a real must have powerhouse that can do it all.

The drm people will have a cow of course, but it will spread interest, and that's always a good thing for a new product or medium.

Yea Amazon can do firmware updates, but that won't stop a good hacker. The Psp stared with firmware 1.00 and is now up to 5.12 or so. It gets hacked within days of each update.
stevepxs is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-09-2009, 08:42 PM   #273
BrianJ48
BrianJ48 began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 2
Conversion Won't work on NYC Library prc files

Converting prc files from my library works fine. NYC files convert, but on Kindle message says " The selected item could not be opened" Then advises me to go to my Kindle on Amazon. Any thoughts? Thanks
BrianJ48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2009, 11:50 AM   #274
Leep
Guru
Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle1, K3, K3G (thanks MR), iTouch, Kindle Touch
If you are using Kindlefix on your library books, it may be that you have more than 1 PID registered at your library account. Several people have run into this problem on the K2, and after removing all but the Kindle PID, stopped getting the The selected item could not be opened error on downloaded library books.

You may also need to recheck your PID. When inputting it to KindlePID - no spaces, all capital letters and the 0 are zeros not alphas.

Post back if you are still having issues.

cheers
Leep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2009, 09:01 PM   #275
AMacD
Al
AMacD doesn't litterAMacD doesn't litter

Location: Bardstown, KY as home base, but RV following the seasons.
Device: Kindle1 and Kindle2 and Palm T|X
Since there are lots of non-DRM books out there, more than I could ever read in the rest of my lifetime, I generally avoid buying DRM books in the first place. I consider DRM books to be a rental, not a purchase, because it not only depends on being read on a Kindle only but also not even that if Amazon decided to stop supporting the format. I will go along with the copyright laws, at least those before they were modified beyond recognition. If the book is not available for purchase, or the author is long dead for example, I will not bother to check for copyright. Even if the book does not state that it is still under copyright, (example: Copyright until 2022) I am not going to do a big research project to find out if it is copyrighted.
AMacD is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-20-2009, 02:26 AM   #276
shalimarv
shalimarv began at the beginning.

Device: kindle 2
can I have a copy of the download??

47august@comcast.net
shalimarv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2009, 01:04 AM   #277
nohmi2
Pensively observing.
nohmi2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nohmi2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nohmi2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nohmi2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nohmi2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nohmi2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nohmi2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nohmi2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nohmi2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nohmi2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nohmi2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Varied.
Python 2.6

I have a new computer and have downloaded Python 26 and Active Python. These are also in PATH. I also have MobiDeDRM5.py and Iam using the PID from another device which I have also installed and synchronised on the computer. This is the PID I have used before and it worked great.

Now, when I use Command Prompt as I had formerly, it comes up :Invalid encryption type 0., when I want to unDRM.

Heeeelp!
nohmi2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2009, 09:06 AM   #278
wallcraft
reader
wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kobo Glo HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by nohmi2 View Post
Now, when I use Command Prompt as I had formerly, it comes up :Invalid encryption type 0., when I want to unDRM.
This ebook is already DRM-free, so it will work "as is" on the Kindle.
wallcraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2009, 10:11 AM   #279
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by nohmi2 View Post
I have a new computer and have downloaded Python 26 and Active Python. These are also in PATH.
BTW: You only need one or the other of these. Not both. I would stick with the windows installers from python.org rather than ActivePython.

BOb
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2009, 06:56 PM   #280
nohmi2
Pensively observing.
nohmi2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nohmi2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nohmi2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nohmi2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nohmi2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nohmi2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nohmi2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nohmi2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nohmi2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nohmi2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nohmi2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Varied.

Many thanks for both replies.

Will try today.

Cheers

Friday

It worked like a charm.

Am now working on converting PDF.

Last edited by nohmi2; 04-23-2009 at 06:00 PM. Reason: Update
nohmi2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2009, 11:40 AM   #281
Angst
Cannon Fodder
Angst ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Angst ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Angst ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Angst ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Angst ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Angst ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Angst ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Angst ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Angst ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Angst ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Angst ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-350, Kindle DX, Kindle Paperwhite
I read on another site that this method will display the Kindle UDID:

Quote:
On their Kindle, go to the Settings menu, and type ‘411’ on the keypad. This will bring up a little information dialog with a bunch of things in it, of which you only need the Serial. It is a 16-character string of letters and numbers. Write it down.
Can anyone confirm if this works?

Thanks,
Angst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2009, 11:54 AM   #282
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
Quote:
Originally Posted by Angst View Post
I read on another site that this method will display the Kindle UDID:

Quote:
On their Kindle, go to the Settings menu, and type ‘411’ on the keypad. This will bring up a little information dialog with a bunch of things in it, of which you only need the Serial. It is a 16-character string of letters and numbers. Write it down.
Can anyone confirm if this works?

Thanks,

If by UDID you mean the Serial Number then yes, the 411 will give you the S/N at least it will on the K2.
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2009, 12:01 PM   #283
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
But Amazon has outlawed the script to convert the serial number into a PID.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2009, 12:44 PM   #284
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
So what, it's easily found all over the net.
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2009, 01:14 PM   #285
Angst
Cannon Fodder
Angst ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Angst ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Angst ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Angst ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Angst ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Angst ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Angst ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Angst ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Angst ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Angst ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Angst ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-350, Kindle DX, Kindle Paperwhite
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
That would be the 'kindlepid.py' script?
Angst is offline   Reply With Quote