Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers

Notices

Old 01-11-2018, 05:24 PM   #271
Philippe D.
Addict
Philippe D. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Philippe D. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Philippe D. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Philippe D. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Philippe D. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Philippe D. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Philippe D. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Philippe D. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Philippe D. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Philippe D. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Philippe D. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura H2o; reMarkable; Onyx Max 2 Pro
I only checked that epub reading worked, but haven't used it more than 10 minutes (not enough to know whether there are things that need improving); the device is a bit too large for epub reading, in my opinion.

I'm using my Remarkable each time I need to take notes during a meeting (last time was today), and essentially as a notepad. For this, it's really very good; for reading PDFs, it's not as good - for lack of dedicated, well-designed software (the screen size would be sufficient in most situations).
Philippe D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2018, 07:33 PM   #272
Akbar
Enthusiast
Akbar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Akbar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Akbar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Akbar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Akbar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Akbar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Akbar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Akbar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Akbar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Akbar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Akbar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura One, Galaxy tab s3
Interestingly Onyx is releasing a 10.3" device with Android 6.0 and it seems to have better specs, such as a quadcore processor and 2gb ram. It was said to weigh merely 350g and had a screen resolution of 1872x1404 (227dpi). The price is also similar to Remarkable at $549 and the person said it was going to be available in Feb at Amazon. Given Onyx's years' of experience with e-readers with Android os, I'm wondering if people will prefer theirs to Remarkable. Please watch this hands-on video:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1huyi7mgbzY
The 13.3" version is available here:
[Shortened URL deleted - MODERATOR]

Last edited by Dr. Drib; 01-13-2018 at 10:26 AM.
Akbar is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-13-2018, 06:40 AM   #273
Philippe D.
Addict
Philippe D. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Philippe D. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Philippe D. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Philippe D. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Philippe D. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Philippe D. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Philippe D. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Philippe D. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Philippe D. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Philippe D. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Philippe D. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I'd say it will depend on the users. I have both the Remarkable and the Onyx Boox 2 (the 13.3" version), and for note taking, the Remarkable is way more comfortable to use. For reading documents, it's harder to compare since there is the larger screen size on the Max2, that won't be there with their Note; but since Onyx is going with Android, my guess is that it will be at least possible to find better reading software on the Onyx.

Where the larger Onyx might win for me with note taking, is that it's possible to switch to landscape mode and have a blank page for notes while displaying the document. Once they make it possible to have the blank page on the left, that is; right now, with me being left-handed, my hand would cover the document so it's not very practical.
Old 01-13-2018, 07:50 AM   #274
electristan
newbie reader
electristan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.electristan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.electristan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.electristan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.electristan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.electristan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.electristan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.electristan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.electristan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.electristan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.electristan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: reMarkable, Boox T68, Kobo Mini, Nook STR, Sony PRS-505
Pick one of these up to test as ill be starting a job job with a lot of PDF and annotation work.

The ease of use of being able to write on any pdf or epub is really impressive and so far while the tools are "simple" for annotation and just reading, it does everything i want it to do.

However, there are too many little things that you have to think about that they should be able to fix in software. Issues with documents not saving unless you exit them properly, pen setup resetting in every new document you use are the main ones for me now.

Very happ overall though and a good v1 of the device, i just hope the support continues and that perhaps things like KOreader are ported over
electristan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2018, 04:01 AM   #275
fr-calif
fr-calif began at the beginning.

Device: remarkable tablet
Updates coming?

I have a remarkable I am trying to sell on ebay (barely tried it, and don't like it is not backlit). I wonder, do you think they will have updates to make it worthwhile?
Also, the cover that is felt is not feeling as quality as it should!
fr-calif is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-16-2018, 10:41 AM   #276
electristan
newbie reader
electristan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.electristan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.electristan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.electristan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.electristan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.electristan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.electristan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.electristan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.electristan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.electristan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.electristan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: reMarkable, Boox T68, Kobo Mini, Nook STR, Sony PRS-505
First update is on the way!

Seems like a good start, addressing cropping issues when taking notes, and remembering you setting between files.

Blog
Details
electristan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2018, 12:07 PM   #277
Philippe D.
Addict

The added functionalities are really great if they work as advertised. The default pen settings, the corrected cropped annotations, are things that have been driving me mad ever since I got my device.

Now if they could let us do some copy-pasting across pages and across documents, it would really be awesome.
Old 01-18-2018, 04:18 PM   #278
psv
Connoisseur
psv ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.psv ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.psv ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.psv ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.psv ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.psv ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.psv ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.psv ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.psv ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.psv ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.psv ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo aura h2o, remarkable
Quote:
Originally Posted by Philippe D. View Post
The default pen settings, the corrected cropped annotations, are things that have been driving me mad ever since I got my device.
I received the update and checked these two things, and it works.
psv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2018, 05:48 PM   #279
Philippe D.
Addict

I was going to come and ask if anybody had received the update... I've been trying to "check for updates" manually these days, and still nothing for me...

Has anybody tried the "liveview" feature? I was wondering if there was a chance I'd make it work with a video projector - typically for a lecture, I have slides prepared but occasionally I'd like to add a little handwriting and this device would be ideal for that. I know some colleagues use an iPad for the same thing, but writing with a stylus on a hard glass surface is really not my thing.
Old 01-19-2018, 12:48 AM   #280
leselysten
Enthusiast
leselysten has every book they ever wanted in electronic form on their reader.leselysten has every book they ever wanted in electronic form on their reader.leselysten has every book they ever wanted in electronic form on their reader.leselysten has every book they ever wanted in electronic form on their reader.leselysten has every book they ever wanted in electronic form on their reader.leselysten has every book they ever wanted in electronic form on their reader.leselysten has every book they ever wanted in electronic form on their reader.leselysten has every book they ever wanted in electronic form on their reader.leselysten has every book they ever wanted in electronic form on their reader.leselysten has every book they ever wanted in electronic form on their reader.leselysten has every book they ever wanted in electronic form on their reader.

Device: reMarkable,Kobo Aura H2O
Quote:
Originally Posted by Philippe D. View Post
I was going to come and ask if anybody had received the update... I've been trying to "check for updates" manually these days, and still nothing for me...

Has anybody tried the "liveview" feature? I was wondering if there was a chance I'd make it work with a video projector - typically for a lecture, I have slides prepared but occasionally I'd like to add a little handwriting and this device would be ideal for that. I know some colleagues use an iPad for the same thing, but writing with a stylus on a hard glass surface is really not my thing.
Devices are assigned eligibility for update in batches over 10 days, by the ID found in /etc/machine-id. "Check for updates" triggers an update only if your ID has already been flagged as eligible. Mine updated yesterday, my friend's on Saturday. The fixes described work for me.

Hopefully with the backlog in deliveries cleared and the initial bugs fixed they now get on to extending reading functionality. Improved pdf support would really make it a killer device in academic settings.
leselysten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2018, 07:10 AM   #281
ballfresno
Addict
ballfresno ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ballfresno ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ballfresno ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ballfresno ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ballfresno ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ballfresno ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ballfresno ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ballfresno ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ballfresno ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ballfresno ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ballfresno ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo (Sage, Aura One, Aura HD, & Touch); reMarkable tablet.
Hello all,

Last Sunday, I decided to get one of these tablets. Ordered it then and received it yesterday (Friday). Good communication throughout so a good start.

My intended use case for this tablet is mostly note taking and secondly reading technical PDF documents. I do not intend to read novels etc. as I have my KA1 for that (but who knows...).

My initial feeling after using the tablet all evening was both very good and very bad. After doing a lot of reading and thanks to this forum, my current feeling is very good!

In particular, I really like the writing experience on it. It is almost like paper which is exactly what I wanted. Very happy. The only aspect I don't like is the presence of the buttons.

My initial bad views were about the connectivity aspects. I only have Linux systems and not having a desktop application to connect to the cloud was very annoying. To be fair, I knew this already from my early research. However, my annoyance increased when I had problems with the Android app (on two different devices), with the Windows desktop application (using somebody else's computer), and with the USB link via browser. None of these routes to connection worked well at all, or even worked at all in the case of the Windows application.

However, re-reading this forum reminded me that I could ssh into the tablet! This changes my whole perspective. I could care less about the cloud etc. Being able to scp my files from the tablet covers 90% of my needs. If I manage to figure out how to use scp to copy PDF documents to the tablet, I'll be 100% satisfied with this route.

Update: using one of the links mentioned earlier in this forum, about printing to the tablet, I have been able to use curl to send PDF documents to the tablet. I am now officially 100% satisfied with connectivity using the USB cable. And I can turn off WiFi as I don't need it generally now.

So, all in all, a very happy purchaser here. Thank you all who have posted so helpfully in this forum to date!

Last edited by ballfresno; 01-20-2018 at 07:26 AM. Reason: found way to send PDF documents to tablet
ballfresno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2018, 10:18 AM   #282
Philippe D.
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by ballfresno View Post
My initial bad views were about the connectivity aspects. I only have Linux systems and not having a desktop application to connect to the cloud was very annoying. To be fair, I knew this already from my early research. However, my annoyance increased when I had problems with the Android app (on two different devices), with the Windows desktop application (using somebody else's computer), and with the USB link via browser. None of these routes to connection worked well at all, or even worked at all in the case of the Windows application.

However, re-reading this forum reminded me that I could ssh into the tablet! This changes my whole perspective. I could care less about the cloud etc. Being able to scp my files from the tablet covers 90% of my needs. If I manage to figure out how to use scp to copy PDF documents to the tablet, I'll be 100% satisfied with this route.

Update: using one of the links mentioned earlier in this forum, about printing to the tablet, I have been able to use curl to send PDF documents to the tablet. I am now officially 100% satisfied with connectivity using the USB cable. And I can turn off WiFi as I don't need it generally now.

So, all in all, a very happy purchaser here. Thank you all who have posted so helpfully in this forum to date!
Not sure about curl, but there's a pretty simple way I use to copy PDF files from my Linux laptop to the Remarkable: connect it through USB, then use a browser and the "beta" functionality (which you'll find in the settings: "storage settings"; you need to turn it on, and the IP address to point to (10.11.99.1) is given there as well). Then you can just drag'n'drop files to the device, and its funky filesystem will be updated correctly.
Old 01-21-2018, 04:08 PM   #283
ballfresno
Addict
ballfresno ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ballfresno ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ballfresno ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ballfresno ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ballfresno ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ballfresno ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ballfresno ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ballfresno ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ballfresno ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ballfresno ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ballfresno ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Thanks for this. I did try the web browser interface. However, it's not entirely convenient for me as I don't use the mouse (long story).

In any case, sending files to the reMarkable is straightforward when connected with the USB cable:
Code:
curl --form file=@File2Send http://10.11.99.1/upload
where File2Send can be a PDF or an EPUB.

For the other direction, I mount the tablet's file system using sshfs either via the USB cable or through WiFi.
Old 01-22-2018, 06:03 AM   #284
DuckieTigger
Wizard
DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 3, Oasis 2, PW3, PW1, KT
Quote:
Originally Posted by ballfresno View Post
For the other direction, I mount the tablet's file system using sshfs either via the USB cable or through WiFi.
Wouldn't that allow to upload to tablet? Or is the mount read only?
DuckieTigger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2018, 06:57 AM   #285
ballfresno
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by DuckieTigger View Post
Wouldn't that allow to upload to tablet? Or is the mount read only?
The mount is not read only but there is some processing of documents done by the tablet, renaming the original file (PDF or EPUB) using a uuid encoding, and creating a set of associated files (metadata, ...).

Thinking out loud: it might be possible to see what the built-in web browser does with a document that is sent to the upload site...