Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 09-06-2012, 03:15 PM   #256
tomsem
Grand Sorcerer
tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 15PM, Kindle Scribe, iPad mini 6, PocketBook InkPad Color 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by tubemonkey View Post
250MB is an insult. I could burn through that in a day.
For the price, it is great (AT&T normally charges $14.99/mo for 250MB, $180 vs $50 for this). But it's a 'taster' plan to be sure. Some people will be able to make it work, the rest will need to pay for more. $30/3GB/mo, $50/5GB/mo etc.
tomsem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2012, 03:15 PM   #257
Crowl
Wizard
Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, PW Signature edition
Quote:
I know; still...

If I get that desperate for wifi, I just pop into a McDonald's or Starbucks.
At $4 a month, doesn't it work out about the same as a cup of coffee?
Crowl is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-06-2012, 03:17 PM   #258
fjtorres
Grand Sorcerer
fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: T100TA,PW2,PRS-T1,KT,FireHD 8.9,K2, PB360,BeBook One,Axim51v,TC1000
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScotiaBurrell View Post
Wait...he just shot a bullet at iPad mini!!!
Not a bullet; a cruise missile.
The mini runs XGA (1024 at 4x3), the FireHD 9" runs full HD and then some (1920x1200 at 16x10). That is iPad3 territory.

Now, if the FireHD 7" runs HD1280 at $199, *that* is a silver bullet at the mini.

Cupertino, rev up the beancounters!
fjtorres is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2012, 03:17 PM   #259
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Moto E6, Echo Show
Quote:
Originally Posted by joehunt View Post
Come on Amazon - update the Kindle pages already I wanna buy something!
I haz lemunade for salz - send me credut card numberz

tubemonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2012, 03:18 PM   #260
johnnyb
Cloud Reader
johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Kindle Scribe, iPad Pro 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crowl View Post
He will of course sneak in use the toilet and the wifi for free and leave without buying anything...
johnnyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-06-2012, 03:19 PM   #261
afv011
Captain Penguin
afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Nook Glowlight
Quote:
At LTE speeds you could readily burn through it in minutes, but that clearly isn't the point of it, which seems aimed at the casual on the go use so people are not disconnected entirely away from wifi.
Actually, as LTE by definition requires a minimum of 100Mb/s, you could churn your way through 250MB in as little as 20 seconds.
afv011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2012, 03:19 PM   #262
Ubermensch
Connoisseur
Ubermensch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ubermensch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ubermensch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ubermensch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ubermensch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ubermensch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ubermensch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ubermensch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ubermensch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ubermensch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ubermensch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook STR
Quote:
Originally Posted by joehunt View Post
I understood that pre-order is available now, with shipping on October 1.

Come on Amazon - update the Kindle pages already I wanna buy something!
You're right! Sorry about this.

Quote:
If I get that desperate for wifi, I just pop into a McDonald's or Starbucks.
Good point. I have 3G on my cellphone so whenever I need Internet on my tablet and I'm not home, I create a hotspot and feed my tablet from there. Even if I go ever my monthly limit, it's still cheaper than having two 3G contracts. Then when I travel and don't have 3G, I just look for, like you said, Starbucks or McDonalds. It's probably enough for most people.
Ubermensch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2012, 03:19 PM   #263
Crowl
Wizard
Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, PW Signature edition
The all important question, how long after the american launch do all these devices arrive in civilised countries?
Crowl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2012, 03:19 PM   #264
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
I never go inside. I sit in my car and tap into their wifi. When done, I disconnect and leave.
Old 09-06-2012, 03:19 PM   #265
Andrew H.
Grand Master of Flowers
Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW, Kindle 3 (aka Keyboard), iPhone, iPad 3 (not for reading)
Quote:
Noooo! Not that thread again...
Andrew H. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2012, 03:20 PM   #266
Andrew H.
Grand Master of Flowers
Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW, Kindle 3 (aka Keyboard), iPhone, iPad 3 (not for reading)
Quote:
The all important question, how long after the american launch do all these devices arrive in civilised countries?
As soon as they prove they are worthy! :-)
Andrew H. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2012, 03:21 PM   #267
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnyb View Post
He will of course sneak in use the toilet and the wifi for free and leave without buying anything...
No sneaking. I just stay in my car and don't buy anything.
Old 09-06-2012, 03:22 PM   #268
Chi Cygni
秋子 permanently lurking
Chi Cygni ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Chi Cygni ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Chi Cygni ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Chi Cygni ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Chi Cygni ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Chi Cygni ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Chi Cygni ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Chi Cygni ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Chi Cygni ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Chi Cygni ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Chi Cygni ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 3, Pocketbook Era
I'm watching Amazon tablet/ereader event on CNET live on ipad while reading MR on ainol 7" tablet, am I a real geek now or what
Chi Cygni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2012, 03:24 PM   #269
fjtorres
Grand Sorcerer
fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: T100TA,PW2,PRS-T1,KT,FireHD 8.9,K2, PB360,BeBook One,Axim51v,TC1000
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
The T2 should have had a front light and 1024x768 screen. Sony blew it big time especially with the lead time they had.
I just think they were looking in the wrong direction. Which they keep *doing* every year.
Two years ago, they were looking to sell premium-priced readers when the market wanted entry-level. Now they're thinking entry-level at a time the market has stabilized and the market is *eager* for premium features.

Of course, Amazon is doing premium features at entry-level prices but that's just Amazon's volume at work. Still, Kobo doesn't have Amazon's volume-buying power, but *they* did read the market right.

Still, my T1 should tide me over until the T3 gets front-lighting next august.
fjtorres is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2012, 03:24 PM   #270
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chi Cygni View Post
I'm watching Amazon tablet/ereader event on CNET live on ipad while reading MR on ainol 7" tablet, am I a real geek now or what
You're a traitor to the Kindle cause!

You definitely outgeeked me. I'm just using a home PC with two browser windows and multiple tabs.