Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > PocketBook

Notices

Old 02-15-2011, 06:07 PM   #256
rkomar
Wizard
rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505, PB 902, PRS-T1, PB 623, PB 840, PB 633
Quote:
Originally Posted by rfog View Post
I think it is so easy to put the PB GPL violations in knowing of FSF and let them act...

However, despite all that is happening, we still need to give them a [little] vote of confidence.
From cases I've heard about in the past, the Free Software Foundation haven't been very confrontational toward violators. There goal has been to persuade violators to release the sources at some point, rather than suing them for damages. Since PB have announced that they will be releasing the sources soon, I can't see the FSF making any sort of legal move at the present.

As far as releasing the sources, it's likely that they are currently used in some heavily customized environment, and can't easily be built by anyone else. Getting the SDK and packages to just work together outside of the internal PB environment is probably a fair bit of work. So, I'm not surprised that they announced a release date in March.
rkomar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2011, 06:49 PM   #257
review
Addict
review got an A in P-Chem.review got an A in P-Chem.review got an A in P-Chem.review got an A in P-Chem.review got an A in P-Chem.review got an A in P-Chem.review got an A in P-Chem.review got an A in P-Chem.review got an A in P-Chem.review got an A in P-Chem.review got an A in P-Chem.

Device: 903
Quote:
Originally Posted by rkomar View Post
As far as releasing the sources, it's likely that they are currently used in some heavily customized environment, and can't easily be built by anyone else. Getting the SDK and packages to just work together outside of the internal PB environment is probably a fair bit of work. So, I'm not surprised that they announced a release date in March.
I can very well believe that it is like this and really, they should take their time. I've seen some code in the past (I'm now not talking about PB) which was released in a rush and it was virtually impossible to reuse any part of the code as it has been a total mess.

So yes, pushing them doesn't really help anyone. If we get a good starting point adding little features here and there doesn't really take a long while.
review is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-16-2011, 08:39 AM   #258
dpayment
Connoisseur
dpayment will become famous soon enoughdpayment will become famous soon enoughdpayment will become famous soon enoughdpayment will become famous soon enoughdpayment will become famous soon enoughdpayment will become famous soon enough

Device: PocketBook Pro 902, EB-1150, PRS505, PRS700, Jetbook, Hanlin V3, Kobo
Cool Re: Pocketbook 902, first impressions

Quote:
Originally Posted by review View Post
I can very well believe that it is like this and really, they should take their time. I've seen some code in the past (I'm now not talking about PB) which was released in a rush and it was virtually impossible to reuse any part of the code as it has been a total mess.

So yes, pushing them doesn't really help anyone. If we get a good starting point adding little features here and there doesn't really take a long while.
I'm sorry, but I think I need to go on the defensive for Pocketbooks at this point. I've had six different ereaders over the past 10 years, and so far as I'm concerned, the Pocketbook 902 is one of the best. While I usually like to have the latest software on any of my devices, I don't understand this contention that the current version of fbreader that comes with the Pocketbook is no good. I've been using my 902 for over 3 months now, averaging at least two hours a day, and I've never had an issue with it. I have added additional fonts, I've chosen to read with the 11 point Courier New, and I find it perfectly readable. I've had no issues with missing text, bad formatting or anything else that I see being complained about here. Most of the issues I find when reading have to do with either the original scan of the books in question, or with the fiddling people have done to try to make the books more suitable to their own personal reading preferences (and I wish they'd stop doing it, it's just damned annoying!)

Anyway, Pocketbook has already introduced two firmware updates since the 902 was officially released, with more to come. I've never had that kind of support from any of the other brands of ereader I've used. Whinging and whining that they're not moving fast enough, or they're ignoring the users does nothing but create disinformation, confusion, and if you go at it too long, you're jeopardizing the future of the company by giving them an undeserved bad rap in what is becoming an extremely competitive market.

The construction of the 902 is beautiful, the various buttons and controls are all user programmable, battery is user changeable, it's rugged and it does what it's supposed to do. They also listen to us about what features we want, I haven't seen anything in the way of a similar offer from ANY of the competitors.

Give them a little time, they don't want to screw up the next firmware release by letting it go before it's ready, and personally, I'd rather wait and get something that works, than run the risk of getting something that's only "make-do" that constantly breaks and/or could "brick" the unit.

Finally, I'm eager to see what's going to happen when they release their colour ereader. They'll have had enough experience with the numerous models already out to know what we want/need in the way of an ereader, and if they apply all that knowledge to a colour ereader, I'm going to be one of the first in line to buy it.

Bravo Pocketbook, thanks for a terrific ereader!

Dan
dpayment is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2011, 09:10 AM   #259
marty63
Enthusiast
marty63 doesn't littermarty63 doesn't litter

Device: PocketBook Pro 902
I agree

I agree with you.
marty63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2011, 09:39 AM   #260
MilanK
MilanK began at the beginning.

Device: PocketBook Pro 602
I agree too
MilanK is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-16-2011, 10:24 AM   #261
skydive
Addict
skydive knows what is on the back of the AURYN.skydive knows what is on the back of the AURYN.skydive knows what is on the back of the AURYN.skydive knows what is on the back of the AURYN.skydive knows what is on the back of the AURYN.skydive knows what is on the back of the AURYN.skydive knows what is on the back of the AURYN.skydive knows what is on the back of the AURYN.skydive knows what is on the back of the AURYN.skydive knows what is on the back of the AURYN.skydive knows what is on the back of the AURYN.

Device: Pocketbook 902 Ver 2.1.3, Virgin Nook STR & Rooted Nook Color CM7
@dpayment: I am in agreement: comparing this reader with the Kindle DX, this is far better....

skydive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2011, 10:52 AM   #262
rfog
Guru
rfog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rfog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rfog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rfog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rfog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rfog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rfog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rfog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rfog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rfog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rfog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Lots of eInk devices and iOS stuff
Quote:
Originally Posted by skydive View Post
@dpayment: I am in agreement: comparing this reader with the Kindle DX, this is far better....

We need to separate functionality and options. Of course BP devices have a lot more options than Kindle but... my PB903 systematically crashes when configuring, sometimes is not capable to read from microSD, and sometimes becomes autistic... However, Kindle, with a lot of less options, is a rock: I've managed ALL Kindles since 2USA (2 USA, 2 intl, DX usa, DX intl, DXG and K3 3G) and I've never had a crash or a problem.

And another thing tha has been said here: fbreader lacks a lot of formating. Form example, my Analog SFF and Asimov's, that are perfectly viewed in my Kindles, does not view in my PB so good. Some formats are ignored, like relative text size and indentations.

And finally another lack all big screen devices have: column view. In a so wide screen, read so wide text is not optimal. Only CoolReader have the two column option, and I do not understand why all manufacturers use fbreader instead of coolreader when this last has a lot of more functionality...
rfog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2011, 12:09 PM   #263
dpayment
Connoisseur
dpayment will become famous soon enoughdpayment will become famous soon enoughdpayment will become famous soon enoughdpayment will become famous soon enoughdpayment will become famous soon enoughdpayment will become famous soon enough

Device: PocketBook Pro 902, EB-1150, PRS505, PRS700, Jetbook, Hanlin V3, Kobo
Post Pocketbook 902 - rfog

Rfog, while I agree that functionality and options are two different things, I go back to my original post. My 902 has worked flawlessly since I got it. I've loaded over 1,000 epubs and pdfs onto the internal memory, and I have a 16Gb micro-SD installed for additional storage. The memory card was recognized immediately, and has worked without a problem thus far.

As for fbreader, again, I have no complaints. Since it is freeware, it's going to take time for it to mature, and the people working on it are doing it for free, in their spare time. Formatting will get better, but given the limited spare time most of us have these days, it might take a while.

Amazon shoved huge amounts of money at development of the kindle and it's software so they could get a good product to market, then try to make it better. Being open source and freeware, it's going to take fbreader and the particular flavours of linux time to reach the same level of maturity, simply because we don't have the resources to make the same kind of all out effort.

We've all become so accustomed to constant change that we forget about being patient. After all, look what the auto industry or the aviation industry have managed to accomplish with over 100 years to work at it. Give ereaders and software and the electronic age the same amount of time and you'll be amazed at what they'll be doing. It'll happen.

Dan
dpayment is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2011, 03:58 PM   #264
sarkash
Enthusiast
sarkash has learned how to buy an e-book online

Device: PB 902
Its a great product; was observing the scene for 9inch+ displays for some time now and finally got myself a 902(lighter than 903). I have to admit, I'm positively surprised!
sarkash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2011, 08:45 AM   #265
SkyDream
Wizard
SkyDream can eat soup with a fork.SkyDream can eat soup with a fork.SkyDream can eat soup with a fork.SkyDream can eat soup with a fork.SkyDream can eat soup with a fork.SkyDream can eat soup with a fork.SkyDream can eat soup with a fork.SkyDream can eat soup with a fork.SkyDream can eat soup with a fork.SkyDream can eat soup with a fork.SkyDream can eat soup with a fork.

Device: PRS-650, iPod touch 4G, iPad 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by sarkash View Post
Its a great product; was observing the scene for 9inch+ displays for some time now and finally got myself a 902(lighter than 903). I have to admit, I'm positively surprised!
Well, at least one...
SkyDream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2011, 11:41 AM   #266
marty63
Enthusiast
marty63 doesn't littermarty63 doesn't litter

Device: PocketBook Pro 902
At least one? Personally I think, that the satisfied users be more.

Last edited by marty63; 02-18-2011 at 11:44 AM.
marty63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2011, 02:34 PM   #267
Roos
Groupie
Roos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Roos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Roos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Roos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Roos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Roos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Roos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Roos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Roos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Roos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Roos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, Kindle Scribe, Phone
I really like it a lot (902), but cheer every way to make it better I would be so pleased to use coolreader, so i pray that it will become available one way or another! I hope that they hurry up with the SDK, that will make the porting and changing of programs a lot easier.
Now also an update to fix the bugs that seem to hinder the 903
Roos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2011, 09:24 PM   #268
skydive
Addict
skydive knows what is on the back of the AURYN.skydive knows what is on the back of the AURYN.skydive knows what is on the back of the AURYN.skydive knows what is on the back of the AURYN.skydive knows what is on the back of the AURYN.skydive knows what is on the back of the AURYN.skydive knows what is on the back of the AURYN.skydive knows what is on the back of the AURYN.skydive knows what is on the back of the AURYN.skydive knows what is on the back of the AURYN.skydive knows what is on the back of the AURYN.

Device: Pocketbook 902 Ver 2.1.3, Virgin Nook STR & Rooted Nook Color CM7
I am happy with the 902.........so I am another one
skydive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2011, 12:30 AM   #269
rkomar
Wizard
rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505, PB 902, PRS-T1, PB 623, PB 840, PB 633
Count me in, too, as a happy 902 owner.
rkomar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2011, 02:20 AM   #270
Sirius67
Enthusiast
Sirius67 began at the beginning.

Device: Pocketbook 903
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roos View Post
Now also an update to fix the bugs that seem to hinder the 903
I have a 903 and am completely happy with it. It works just fine With the expanded functionality now thanks to some very capable people here in the forums i really enjoy using it.
Sirius67 is offline   Reply With Quote