Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 09-15-2017, 09:34 AM   #2581
Klapo
Klapo began at the beginning.

Device: PW2, PW3, PW4, PW5SE
I have bought an PW3 on Amazon.de yesterday, after shipping I have turned it ON and connected to my WiFi, whole process was rather quick so I think it was shipped with 5.8.10 from the start. Right now I'm returning it and maybe try again. Has anyone some information where I can get PW3 with firmware older than 5.8.10 ?
Klapo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2017, 11:10 AM   #2582
coplate
Guru
coplate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.coplate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.coplate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.coplate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.coplate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.coplate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.coplate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.coplate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.coplate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.coplate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.coplate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: prs-505, Kindle Keyboard 3g, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by emalvick View Post
It's been a long time since I've been on this forum. I just bought a Kindle PW3, and it came with 5.8.9.2 on it. I was able to stop it from upgrading forward, but of course with 5.8.9.2, it was too late.

I can't complain. Years ago I jailbroke my Keyboard Kindle. I honestly didn't think I had used it much except the collection manager. I came here hoping I might be able to use it again, but alas it seems like I won't.

I'll be patient, but it sounds like there isn't much hope going forward. I see references to potential new releases, but I would expect that as long as Amazon know they've blocked further jailbreaking, they won't do anything to go backward. I'm only slightly saddened as my reading habits don't really need my kindle to be jail-broken.

I do appreciate all the efforts I see have gone on since I last looked into this. In all honesty when my previous kindle finally broke and I bought this PW3, I really figured the ability to jail-break a kindle would have been long-dead.

I know this doesn't matter here (I have complained to Amazon), but I really wish in killing the ability to jail-break, Amazon would actually work to implement features the jail-break allowed us to have. Maybe we wouldn't need to if they would add a few more features.

Again, it's just a thanks to all the effort in this thread and forum. I'll keep an eye out for any develops, but my expectations won't be too high.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Klapo View Post
I have bought an PW3 on Amazon.de yesterday, after shipping I have turned it ON and connected to my WiFi, whole process was rather quick so I think it was shipped with 5.8.10 from the start. Right now I'm returning it and maybe try again. Has anyone some information where I can get PW3 with firmware older than 5.8.10 ?

Bases on what we learned when people were getting kindles that ahipped with 5.8.9.0.1, there is a chance that you can downgrade with whatever version actually ships on the device. - Fresh out of the box version, I have a belief tha tthe downgrade protection doesnt actually get applied until the kindle *upgrades* after you take it out of the box - that is to say, that the factory imaging system does not set up the downgrade protection.

But obviously we would need someone to try it.

If someone orders a new one, or did skip the wifi setup, these are the steps to try:

1. Open the kindle box and look at your brand new kindle.
2. Be excited, kindles are awesome
3. turn the kindle on
4. go through the setup until you get to the wifi step.
5. Press 'connect to wifi' or similar, to get your list of wifi hotspot names.
6. On the list of hotspot names, press the "[x]" in the corner to cancel
7. Press "continue setting up later on the bottom of the screen

Now you have a kindle that doesnt connect to wifi!

Try to do the downgrade in the instructions - worst case, it won't work. Best case, it downgrades, and you can continue the rest of the instructions.

Please post back if this does or does not work.

Last edited by coplate; 09-15-2017 at 11:50 AM.
coplate is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-15-2017, 11:22 AM   #2583
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: No K1, PW2, KV, KOA
Quote:
- - - -
Has anyone some information where I can get PW3 with firmware older than 5.8.10 ?
If it arrived with 5.8.10, you are the first.
Most likely it updated as soon as you connected to the Internet.

1) Yes, buy a "Certified Refurbished" PW3 from Amazon.
2) Yes, buy from a local, small, non-Amazon retailer.

How about you telling us where and when you purchased yours?
That way people would know one place to avoid.

Also, see the post immediately above this one.
knc1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2017, 12:13 PM   #2584
Klapo
Klapo began at the beginning.

Device: PW2, PW3, PW4, PW5SE
Quote:
Originally Posted by knc1 View Post

https://www.amazon.de/Amazon-Kindle-...A3JWKAKR8XB7XF

Okay, most likely it god self upgraded after connecting to WiFi as @coplate mentioned so it's my fault to connecting it.

I'll reorder it after getting my cash back, then I'll try one more time without connecting to network.

I got little distracted with "The general rule to cover all versions, is: If not yet registered, do that now." - but don't take me wrong, I'm not blaming anyone :-) even more.. I'm happy, as next Kindle which I have ordered 5min ago got -30€ discount lol...
Klapo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2017, 01:37 PM   #2585
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
- - - - -
If not yet registered, do that now." - but don't take me wrong, I'm not blaming anyone :-) even more.. I'm happy, as next Kindle which I have ordered 5min ago got -30€ discount lol...
Yes, I wrote that.
These directions have always been difficult to write clearly.
They have been revised over 400 times in the past 14 months.

The difficulty lies in many special conditions, each of which happens very rarely but does cause somebody a problem.

In this case, if a person changes the registration status after the jail break, then parts of the jail break (added in step #6) has to be repeated - sometimes.

And you have run into the problem a few people have if they set the registration before the jail break - the device uncontrollably updates.
The older versions of firmware where less aggressive about requesting an update than more recent versions of the firmware.

So I guess it is time to try to make the directions cover both special situations.

I am sorry that the way the directions are now written has caused you extra trouble.
Advert
Old 09-15-2017, 03:35 PM   #2586
emalvick
Groupie
emalvick , Klaatu Barada Niktu!emalvick , Klaatu Barada Niktu!emalvick , Klaatu Barada Niktu!emalvick , Klaatu Barada Niktu!emalvick , Klaatu Barada Niktu!emalvick , Klaatu Barada Niktu!emalvick , Klaatu Barada Niktu!emalvick , Klaatu Barada Niktu!emalvick , Klaatu Barada Niktu!emalvick , Klaatu Barada Niktu!emalvick , Klaatu Barada Niktu!

Device: Kindle 3
Quote:

Well, mine was certified refurbished and came with 5.8.9.2. Of course, I guess I may have been able to downgraded, but mine ended up at 5.8.10 before I knew there was a possibility it might work. Otherwise, it does seem the non-Amazon retailer would be the best bet.

The other caveat to all this, is that for any chance of this to work, it seems people need to have the non-special offers version in the first place. When I bought my refurbished one, I had no choice but to buy a special offers version. Of course to turn that off, you have to turn on the wireless to make the necessary purchase. In retrospect, it was a bit of a catch 22.
emalvick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2017, 03:59 PM   #2587
Cinisajoy
Just a Yellow Smiley.
Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K4, K5, fire, kobo, galaxy
Quote:
Well, mine was certified refurbished and came with 5.8.9.2. Of course, I guess I may have been able to downgraded, but mine ended up at 5.8.10 before I knew there was a possibility it might work. Otherwise, it does seem the non-Amazon retailer would be the best bet.

The other caveat to all this, is that for any chance of this to work, it seems people need to have the non-special offers version in the first place. When I bought my refurbished one, I had no choice but to buy a special offers version. Of course to turn that off, you have to turn on the wireless to make the necessary purchase. In retrospect, it was a bit of a catch 22.
That was on one certain PW.
The jailbreak works on Special offer kindles. The screensaver hack will NOT work on a special offers kindle.
Cinisajoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2017, 04:05 PM   #2588
badgoodDeb
Grand Sorcerer
badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Palms, K1-4s, iPads, iPhones, KV, KO1
(But if the screensaver hack is what you want, I suspect you can have Amazon turn off the special offers AFTER you've gotten the jailbreak in place.]
badgoodDeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2017, 04:18 PM   #2589
Cinisajoy
Just a Yellow Smiley.
Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K4, K5, fire, kobo, galaxy
Quote:
Originally Posted by badgoodDeb View Post
(But if the screensaver hack is what you want, I suspect you can have Amazon turn off the special offers AFTER you've gotten the jailbreak in place.]
Which might or might not cost $20.
Cinisajoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2017, 04:31 PM   #2590
knc1
Going Viral

Quote:
- - - -
That is one way.
Another is to disable the OTA update download.
Details in Step #7 (which can be applied as Step #-1).
Old 09-15-2017, 04:35 PM   #2591
badgoodDeb
Grand Sorcerer
badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Palms, K1-4s, iPads, iPhones, KV, KO1
Maybe it should be a mandatory step -1 ? It wouldn't hurt in other cases.

Sorry, now we're trying to make a document that Fixes All, and as stated above, that's awfully diffitult.
badgoodDeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2017, 04:48 PM   #2592
knc1
Going Viral

Quote:
Originally Posted by badgoodDeb View Post
Maybe it should be a mandatory step -1 ? It wouldn't hurt in other cases.
- - - -
The "wouldn't hurt in other cases" is a very good point.

It may be too late, if devices are already shipping with firmware that can't be jail broken.
Old 09-16-2017, 06:52 AM   #2593
milo1984
milo1984 began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
Dear forum,

I have a KT3 and used the excellent tools and guidance on this forum to jailbreak and install KUAL back at Xmas time. All worked well and I have been using it without issue since, but with WIFI disabled so no FW updates could occur (and I had no plans to ever update again).

However, the other day I turned on the WIFI to buy a book, forgetting about the auto-update, and Amazon pushed over the latest FW update. I only realised this was happening at some point during/after the install process, when my Kindle tried to restart but kept looping back (progress bar would reset), and eventually went to the "Your Kindle needs repairing" "Repair Code 2" screen.

I have been doing as much investigating as I can on possible solutions (e.g. Kubrick - seems great but only for older models), but I'm unclear if this is the end of the road for my Kindle or not. Can anyone offer any advice or at least "closure" so I can stop wasting more time and decide if I want to buy a new Kindle (unlikely).

Thank you
milo1984 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2017, 07:49 AM   #2594
knc1
Going Viral

Quote:
Originally Posted by milo1984 View Post
Dear forum,

I have a KT3 and used the excellent tools and guidance on this forum to jailbreak and install KUAL back at Xmas time. All worked well and I have been using it without issue since, but with WIFI disabled so no FW updates could occur (and I had no plans to ever update again).

However, the other day I turned on the WIFI to buy a book, forgetting about the auto-update, and Amazon pushed over the latest FW update. I only realised this was happening at some point during/after the install process, when my Kindle tried to restart but kept looping back (progress bar would reset), and eventually went to the "Your Kindle needs repairing" "Repair Code 2" screen.

I have been doing as much investigating as I can on possible solutions (e.g. Kubrick - seems great but only for older models), but I'm unclear if this is the end of the road for my Kindle or not. Can anyone offer any advice or at least "closure" so I can stop wasting more time and decide if I want to buy a new Kindle (unlikely).

Thank you
Hmm...
You must have skipped Step #7.
If you did not skip that step, it would help to know.

- - - - -

You are not the first to report a similar circumstance -
OTA update of a jail broken device will not boot properly.

Although impossible to tell from here, there is a good chance that the "jail break survival code" has not (yet) run after the update.

So realizing there is a good chance you will lose the jail break and not be able to restore it - - -

During the re-boot process, the system should, **very briefly** export user storage over USB cable (so brief that you will need to have the cable connected before and during the re-boot).

Your goal is to put a file at the top of the (briefly) visible USB storage.
The name of the file is:
DO_FACTORY_RESTORE
All caps, no extension of any kind, no contents required.
The USB storage will probably be available too briefly for a person to type the name, you will have to get your PC to do it for you.

So, what PC / PC OS do you have that you can connect the Kindle to?

If Windows - do you have PowerShell installed?

# 14 700 - Who? Me? Windows? Get real.

Last edited by knc1; 09-16-2017 at 07:52 AM.
Old 09-17-2017, 04:18 AM   #2595
milo1984
milo1984 began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
Quote:
Hmm...
You must have skipped Step #7.
If you did not skip that step, it would help to know.

- - - - -

You are not the first to report a similar circumstance -
OTA update of a jail broken device will not boot properly.

Although impossible to tell from here, there is a good chance that the "jail break survival code" has not (yet) run after the update.

So realizing there is a good chance you will lose the jail break and not be able to restore it - - -

During the re-boot process, the system should, **very briefly** export user storage over USB cable (so brief that you will need to have the cable connected before and during the re-boot).

Your goal is to put a file at the top of the (briefly) visible USB storage.
The name of the file is:
DO_FACTORY_RESTORE
All caps, no extension of any kind, no contents required.
The USB storage will probably be available too briefly for a person to type the name, you will have to get your PC to do it for you.

So, what PC / PC OS do you have that you can connect the Kindle to?

If Windows - do you have PowerShell installed?

# 14 700 - Who? Me? Windows? Get real.
Thanks very much for the swift advice knc1. Unfortunately I cannot remember if I did step 7 as it was many months ago and I didn't keep a record. However, given it's part of the sequence and there's no "this is optional" I'd be fairly confident I would have updated.

Either way, I managed to get the factory reset file trick to work, so thank you very much for the suggestion.

I assume I can now jailbreak again if I want to (making sure I definitely complete step 7)?

Thanks again.
milo1984 is offline   Reply With Quote