Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 09-04-2017, 11:49 AM   #2566
dhdurgee
Guru
dhdurgee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dhdurgee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dhdurgee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dhdurgee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dhdurgee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dhdurgee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dhdurgee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dhdurgee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dhdurgee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dhdurgee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dhdurgee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3W, PW4
Quote:
Originally Posted by jangell2 View Post
I have opened up pc's that are meant for upgrading and added hard drives or memory, but this looks like it's in the "china shop" category.
To the best of my knowledge they are still shipping units with an earlier release of the firmware that can be jailbroken. Depending upon their return policy it might be possible for you to return the unit for some reason and receive a replacement that you can jailbreak. If you find this is possible, be sure to make it impossible for the replacement to update before you can jailbreak it. At this point the jailbreak will survive an upgrade and all you will need to do is reinstall any additions that were broken by the upgrade.

Dave
dhdurgee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2017, 12:08 PM   #2567
Cinisajoy
Just a Yellow Smiley.
Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K4, K5, fire, kobo, galaxy
Quote:
Originally Posted by jangell2 View Post
I have opened up pc's that are meant for upgrading and added hard drives or memory, but this looks like it's in the "china shop" category.
I used to work on video games like you see in arcades. The motherboards are like elephants (video games) and mice (kindles).
Cinisajoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-05-2017, 10:55 AM   #2568
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: No K1, PW2, KV, KOA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cinisajoy View Post
I used to work on video games like you see in arcades. The motherboards are like elephants (video games) and mice (kindles).
Kindles, like most modern electronics, are built of can't see'm sized parts by robots with superman quality vision.
(Probably the same ones that paint one-half of each e-ink ball white and the other half of it black.)

Last edited by knc1; 09-05-2017 at 11:07 AM.
knc1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2017, 09:35 AM   #2569
pavel-s
Enthusiast
pavel-s began at the beginning.

Device: PW3/4
Question Are there any ways to modify factory firmware?

Hello,

Would it be possible to modify the factory firmware (e.g., version; or something else) in order to make the downgrade from 5.8.10 possible (with the ability to further upgrade after jailbreak)?
pavel-s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2017, 10:00 AM   #2570
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pavel-s View Post
Hello,

Would it be possible to modify the factory firmware (e.g., version; or something else) in order to make the downgrade from 5.8.10 possible (with the ability to further upgrade after jailbreak)?
No.
The determination of what package(s) is acceptable is made by the firmware currently running (5.8.10 in your example).

OR

No.
The update_*.bin name format packages are cryptographically signed (both ours and Amazon's) and only Amazon has Amazon's signing key. That prohibits changing any externally accessible package.

Amazon does have our key(s) but they do not include them in their system images.
(Putting our key into the Kindle system's keystore is what our "jail break" does.)
Advert
Old 09-11-2017, 05:23 PM   #2571
coplate
Guru
coplate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.coplate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.coplate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.coplate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.coplate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.coplate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.coplate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.coplate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.coplate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.coplate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.coplate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: prs-505, Kindle Keyboard 3g, PW3
@knc1,

Do you think theres a reasonable way to update the openier of this thread that "farm fresh" kindles ( kindles that have never done an update away from 5.8.9.0.1 ), shoudl be able to follow the factory downgrade protections?

We had got some reports that people could start at step 5 on 5.8.9.0.1, but that has fizzeled out.

I have seen more confirmations that they can start at step 1.

this appears to be the case because the downgrade protection only *appears* to be applied once you actually *upgrade* to a new version ( over OTA or USB ).

But the sort of new-in-box devices should be able to do the downgrade.

I can write a new thread called downgrade from "new-in-box" that has the details of how to skip the wifi prompts if you like that it could be linked to, if I haven't already written one of those.
coplate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2017, 06:00 PM   #2572
knc1
Going Viral

I have had my fill of supporting jailbreak threads.

Maybe we should only announce them in this forum, and put the body of the information in the Wiki.
In the Wiki, anybody could support the text.
Old 09-11-2017, 06:29 PM   #2573
coplate
Guru
coplate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.coplate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.coplate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.coplate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.coplate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.coplate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.coplate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.coplate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.coplate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.coplate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.coplate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: prs-505, Kindle Keyboard 3g, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by knc1 View Post

Maybe we should only announce them in this forum, and put the body of the information in the Wiki.

That's not a bad option. Using this same headline you have now:

"Will this jail break work on my current firmware?"
Short version:
This will work on 5.8.7 and earlier.

Long version:
See this wiki page.

I'll look into starting that wiki page this weekend if nobody else does.
coplate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2017, 08:42 PM   #2574
knc1
Going Viral

There is an old adage in USA marketing (it dates back to the time of brick and mortar stores) -
Items for the "Holiday Shopping" crowds need to be on the retail store shelves by October.
We are getting close to that time of the year.
Which could mean that we will have some new model(s) and firmware(s) to write about.
Old 09-11-2017, 10:48 PM   #2575
Cinisajoy
Just a Yellow Smiley.
Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K4, K5, fire, kobo, galaxy
Quote:
There is an old adage in USA marketing (it dates back to the time of brick and mortar stores) -
Items for the "Holiday Shopping" crowds need to be on the retail store shelves by October.
We are getting close to that time of the year.
Which could mean that we will have some new model(s) and firmware(s) to write about.
They put out Halloween candy last week.
Cinisajoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2017, 08:06 AM   #2576
knc1
Going Viral

For the "End of Year Holidays", Holiday shoppers.
Old 09-14-2017, 04:22 PM   #2577
emalvick
Groupie
emalvick , Klaatu Barada Niktu!emalvick , Klaatu Barada Niktu!emalvick , Klaatu Barada Niktu!emalvick , Klaatu Barada Niktu!emalvick , Klaatu Barada Niktu!emalvick , Klaatu Barada Niktu!emalvick , Klaatu Barada Niktu!emalvick , Klaatu Barada Niktu!emalvick , Klaatu Barada Niktu!emalvick , Klaatu Barada Niktu!emalvick , Klaatu Barada Niktu!

Device: Kindle 3
It's been a long time since I've been on this forum. I just bought a Kindle PW3, and it came with 5.8.9.2 on it. I was able to stop it from upgrading forward, but of course with 5.8.9.2, it was too late.

I can't complain. Years ago I jailbroke my Keyboard Kindle. I honestly didn't think I had used it much except the collection manager. I came here hoping I might be able to use it again, but alas it seems like I won't.

I'll be patient, but it sounds like there isn't much hope going forward. I see references to potential new releases, but I would expect that as long as Amazon know they've blocked further jailbreaking, they won't do anything to go backward. I'm only slightly saddened as my reading habits don't really need my kindle to be jail-broken.

I do appreciate all the efforts I see have gone on since I last looked into this. In all honesty when my previous kindle finally broke and I bought this PW3, I really figured the ability to jail-break a kindle would have been long-dead.

I know this doesn't matter here (I have complained to Amazon), but I really wish in killing the ability to jail-break, Amazon would actually work to implement features the jail-break allowed us to have. Maybe we wouldn't need to if they would add a few more features.

Again, it's just a thanks to all the effort in this thread and forum. I'll keep an eye out for any develops, but my expectations won't be too high.
emalvick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2017, 05:25 AM   #2578
fonix232
Enthusiast
fonix232 doesn't litterfonix232 doesn't litter

Device: KOA4
Quote:

I know it's a bit far-fetched, but take a look at https://3ds.guide/ - a Nintendo 3DS hacking (jailbreaking) guide.

Since there are multiple models and firmware versions, this guide was made so that the most simplistic user can go through with it, in a wizard style. I think something similar would make Kindle jailbreakers' work a bit easier (and by that I mean the Regular Joe who happens on this thread and wants to open up their device, not the actual developers who know every step on every firmware version even if woken up from their best dream).

I understand that this would be a great effort in the beginning, but it would make things simpler on the long run.
fonix232 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2017, 05:45 AM   #2579
lucasmpr
Enthusiast
lucasmpr began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by fonix232 View Post
I know it's a bit far-fetched, but take a look at https://3ds.guide/ - a Nintendo 3DS hacking (jailbreaking) guide.

Since there are multiple models and firmware versions, this guide was made so that the most simplistic user can go through with it, in a wizard style. I think something similar would make Kindle jailbreakers' work a bit easier (and by that I mean the Regular Joe who happens on this thread and wants to open up their device, not the actual developers who know every step on every firmware version even if woken up from their best dream).

I understand that this would be a great effort in the beginning, but it would make things simpler on the long run.
I posted somewhere in this post what I called a superpack. It is a .bat file that explains exactly how to jailbreak, copy files automatically to the kindle and every step.

It was a little bit of work to build it, but it makes the process really simple.

Bye
lucasmpr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2017, 08:09 AM   #2580
knc1
Going Viral

Quote:
Originally Posted by fonix232 View Post
The circumstance are not the same, or even similar.

Every "jail break" of a Kindle has used a different vector.
Hence, a process that differs for every vector.

But if you think it can be done, why don't you open a public site using one of your own servers and domain names and start writing?

The firmware for all models prior to the PW2 are no longer being changed by Amazon, which means that the jail breaks for all of them, for all the firmware versions they run, are still valid as written at this site.
And you have the sticky jail break index to guide you.
Just start at the K2 (the K1 does not require a jail break) directions and work forward. You only have the directions for less than 80 models to re-write to your own satisfaction.