Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader > Kobo Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 09-21-2022, 08:48 AM   #241
beedaddy
Groupie
beedaddy knows that there *is* no spoonbeedaddy knows that there *is* no spoonbeedaddy knows that there *is* no spoonbeedaddy knows that there *is* no spoonbeedaddy knows that there *is* no spoonbeedaddy knows that there *is* no spoonbeedaddy knows that there *is* no spoonbeedaddy knows that there *is* no spoonbeedaddy knows that there *is* no spoonbeedaddy knows that there *is* no spoonbeedaddy knows that there *is* no spoon

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Tolino Shine 5th Gen
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
Please give this new version a test. Thanks.
Sorry, that didn't change anything, unfortunately.
beedaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2022, 08:53 AM   #242
jackie_w
Grand Sorcerer
jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo: KA1, ClaraHD, Forma, Libra2, Clara2E. PocketBook: TouchHD3
Quote:
Originally Posted by beedaddy View Post
Just for the record, with the improved hyphenation from this thread I also (quite often) get single letters on one side of the hyphenation (German in my case).
This looks like a known problem with hyphenation in kepubs. For some reason, best known to Kobo, the number of characters to the right of the hyphen (sometimes? always?) includes the punctuation characters. You can see that in both the examples you've highlighted in your photo.

All you can really do is increase the number you use for the right-side from 2 to something bigger. It won't make the hyphenation problems disappear but it might make them slightly less irritating

If you're using the calibre KoboTouchExtended driver to create your sideloaded kepubs I believe its config widget allows you to choose your hyphenation right/left values.
jackie_w is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-21-2022, 09:04 AM   #243
beedaddy
Groupie
beedaddy knows that there *is* no spoonbeedaddy knows that there *is* no spoonbeedaddy knows that there *is* no spoonbeedaddy knows that there *is* no spoonbeedaddy knows that there *is* no spoonbeedaddy knows that there *is* no spoonbeedaddy knows that there *is* no spoonbeedaddy knows that there *is* no spoonbeedaddy knows that there *is* no spoonbeedaddy knows that there *is* no spoonbeedaddy knows that there *is* no spoon

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackie_w View Post
This looks like a known problem with hyphenation in kepubs. For some reason, best known to Kobo, the number of characters to the right of the hyphen (sometimes? always?) includes the punctuation characters. You can see that in both the examples you've highlighted in your photo.
Thank you for the explanation. The KEPUB engine really seems to have still some problem areas...

Quote:
If you're using the calibre KoboTouchExtended driver to create your sideloaded kepubs I believe its config widget allows you to choose your hyphenation right/left values.
Unfortunately I use kepubify, which is automatically called from within calibre-web.
Old 09-21-2022, 09:47 AM   #244
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:

All you can really do is increase the number you use for the right-side from 2 to something bigger. It won't make the hyphenation problems disappear but it might make them slightly less irritating

Do the hyphenation settings in the KoboTouchExtended driver override the the settings in the hyphenation dictionary?
This is what's in the hyphenation dictionary.
Code:
COMPOUNDLEFTHYPHENMIN 2
COMPOUNDRIGHTHYPHENMIN 3

Last edited by JSWolf; 09-21-2022 at 09:56 AM.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2022, 10:57 AM   #245
jackie_w
Grand Sorcerer
jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Thank you for the explanation. The KEPUB engine really seems to have still some problem areas...

Unfortunately I use kepubify, which is automatically called from within calibre-web.
I don't use kepubify so I don't know exactly what options it has. I must admit I thought @geek1011 had replicated in kepubify all the calibre KTE options that existed at the time he wrote it. Maybe that's only in the kepubify version which runs on your local PC? I don't know. You'd have to ask in the dedicated kepubify thread to find out more.
Advert
Old 09-21-2022, 11:08 AM   #246
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
I don't use kepubify so I don't know exactly what options it has. I must admit I thought @geek1011 had replicated in kepubify all the calibre KTE options that existed at the time he wrote it. Maybe that's only in the kepubify version which runs on your local PC? I don't know. You'd have to ask in the dedicated kepubify thread to find out more.
I was meaning the hyphenation settings in the KoboTouchExtended driver.
Old 09-21-2022, 11:10 AM   #247
CyberPaul
Groupie
CyberPaul can extract oil from cheeseCyberPaul can extract oil from cheeseCyberPaul can extract oil from cheeseCyberPaul can extract oil from cheeseCyberPaul can extract oil from cheeseCyberPaul can extract oil from cheeseCyberPaul can extract oil from cheeseCyberPaul can extract oil from cheese

Device: Kindle Voyage - Tolino Vision 4 HD - Kobo Sage
Quote:
Please give this new version a test. Thanks.
Please where I can find something similar for italian? You kindly provided me with one, but it was very small, smaller than the stock one, so it was splitting words even less frequently. That german dictionary is more than 266K!
CyberPaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2022, 11:41 AM   #248
jackie_w
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Do the hyphenation settings in the KoboTouchExtended driver override the the settings in the hyphenation dictionary?
This is what's in the hyphenation dictionary.
Code:
COMPOUNDLEFTHYPHENMIN 2
COMPOUNDRIGHTHYPHENMIN 3
To the best of my knowledge the KTE driver works by adding an extra hyphenation.css file to the kepub during creation. It uses webkit CSS such as this:
Code:
-webkit-hyphens: auto;
-webkit-hyphenate-limit-after: 3;
-webkit-hyphenate-limit-before: 3;
-webkit-hyphenate-limit-lines: 2;
-webkit-hyphenate-limit-chars: 6;
where you can use KTE config to set those values. You can see for yourself by looking at file css/hyphenation.css.tmpl inside the KTE plugin zip file.

My technical knowledge of hyphenation stuff is sketchy at best but my observation is that in kepub this CSS will override whatever values exist in hyph_en.dic such as
Code:
LEFTHYPHENMIN 2
RIGHTHYPHENMIN 2
at least for CSS properties -webkit-hyphenate-limit-after and -webkit-hyphenate-limit-before.

I'm not convinced that property -webkit-hyphenate-limit-chars is supported at all by kepubs. I don't know why KTE includes it ... but maybe I'm wrong.

I never use -webkit-hyphenate-limit-lines myself. I figure kepubs need all the help they can get without applying a consecutive lines limit. I've no reason to believe it doesn't work if you want to use it.
Old 10-08-2022, 04:18 AM   #249
PunkyKoopa
Connoisseur
PunkyKoopa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PunkyKoopa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PunkyKoopa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PunkyKoopa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PunkyKoopa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PunkyKoopa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PunkyKoopa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PunkyKoopa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PunkyKoopa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PunkyKoopa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PunkyKoopa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2
So it will be better to use either the dictionary or the KTE driver, but not both, right?
PunkyKoopa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2022, 04:25 AM   #250
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by PunkyKoopa View Post
So it will be better to use either the dictionary or the KTE driver, but not both, right?
The dictionary gives better hyphenation results and KTE allows you to turn on hyphenation for side loaded KePub eBooks. So you use both.

Also, the dictionary works with ePub.
Old 10-08-2022, 04:44 AM   #251
PunkyKoopa
Connoisseur
PunkyKoopa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PunkyKoopa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PunkyKoopa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PunkyKoopa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PunkyKoopa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PunkyKoopa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PunkyKoopa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PunkyKoopa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PunkyKoopa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PunkyKoopa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PunkyKoopa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2
I see. I have set the KTE to minimum 2 to before and after, and that is the same to your dictionary if I am not mistaken, so it should work nice together.

Thanks!
PunkyKoopa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2022, 07:05 AM   #252
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by PunkyKoopa View Post
I see. I have set the KTE to minimum 2 to before and after, and that is the same to your dictionary if I am not mistaken, so it should work nice together.

Thanks!
Happy to help. You may also want to set the number of successive hyphens to a larger number.
Old 10-12-2022, 09:00 AM   #253
beedaddy
Groupie

I don't really know the file format and haven't read the entire thread. So sorry if I missed something. But I wonder if it is intentional that the LEFTHYPHENMIN and RIGHTHYPHENMIN lines are missing in the German file (but included in EN_US).
Old 10-12-2022, 09:29 AM   #254
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
I don't really know the file format and haven't read the entire thread. So sorry if I missed something. But I wonder if it is intentional that the LEFTHYPHENMIN and RIGHTHYPHENMIN lines are missing in the German file (but included in EN_US).
Please try the German hyphenation dictionary and see what you get. Does it work properly? If not, I'll edit it and post a beta.
Old 10-12-2022, 11:17 AM   #255
beedaddy
Groupie

Well I do see some funny hyphen results, as mentioned some posts before. I added the two missing lines and think that it is better now. But as I said, I'm not an expert and I was hoping that someone could say more about it.