Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 02-10-2016, 09:46 AM   #241
guerrilla
Connoisseur
guerrilla began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
I'm sorry knc1 I'm not a native english speaker so I'm not sure I get what you're suggesting.
When you say it's advisable to update to 5.7.2 because it disables the JB vector in 5.6.5, you mean that it patches a security issue that may be maliciously exploited?
In fact I'm still using 5.4.5.1 'cause I'm reluctant to give up the opportunity to downgrade, which was the case with 5.6.5 even if the jb survived the upgrade.
I take the case is the same with 5.7.2, so is there anything wrong if I stay with 5.4.5.1?
I read all my ebooks in koreader and, as long as the native reader won't be equally flexible, I don't see the point of making irreversible changes. Could I go back if needed I would give it a try.
guerrilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2016, 09:49 AM   #242
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: No K1, PW2, KV, KOA
Quote:
Originally Posted by guerrilla View Post
I'm sorry knc1 I'm not a native english speaker so I'm not sure I get what you're suggesting.
When you say it's advisable to update to 5.7.2 because it disables the JB vector in 5.6.5, you mean that it patches a security issue that may be maliciously exploited?

In fact I'm still using 5.4.5.1 'cause I'm reluctant to give up the opportunity to downgrade, which was the case with 5.6.5 even if the jb survived the upgrade.
I take the case is the same with 5.7.2, so is there anything wrong if I stay with 5.4.5.1?

I read all my ebooks in koreader and, as long as the native reader won't be equally flexible, I don't see the point of making irreversible changes. Could I go back if needed I would give it a try.
Yes.

Stay with 5.4.5.1 if you wish.

Stay tuned (subscribed) to my 'downgrade from 5.7.2' thread.
We may have news on that subject in the near future.
knc1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-10-2016, 09:53 AM   #243
guerrilla
Connoisseur
guerrilla began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
Quote:
Originally Posted by knc1 View Post
Yes.

Stay with 5.4.5.1 if you wish.

Stay tuned (subscribed) to my 'downgrade from 5.7.2' thread.
We may have news on that subject in the near future.
That's great news, thanks!
guerrilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2016, 05:19 PM   #244
nixkalo
nixkalo knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'nixkalo knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'nixkalo knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'nixkalo knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'nixkalo knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'nixkalo knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'nixkalo knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'nixkalo knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'nixkalo knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'nixkalo knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'nixkalo knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'

Device: hanlin V3, K4NT, PW3
@knc1: Are we positively sure that the security hole is closed 5.7.2?
Or did they just remove ;fc-cache so that the security hole couldn't be used in a Jailbreak?

As a side note: I already created the file mentioned in my previous post (and did a chmod 000 for extra security). If someone who doesn't mind going to 5.7.2 (or has serial interface and can go easily go back to 5.6.5) wants to test it, I'd prefer it. Otherwise, please PM me when OTA is hitting and I'll test the effectiveness and report it here

BR,
Nix
nixkalo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2016, 06:18 PM   #245
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nixkalo View Post
@knc1: Are we positively sure that the security hole is closed 5.7.2?
Or did they just remove ;fc-cache so that the security hole couldn't be used in a Jailbreak?
- - - -
You have been reading my day #1 posts.

When I have a chance to get away from this keyboard, I'll let every know what I find.
(Although just looking at the 5.7.2 source code bundle vs an earlier firmware source code bundle would be the quick and easy place to start - expect to find a much newer version of webkit in 5.7.2 if anything is 'fixed' rather than just 'hidden again'.)
Advert
Old 02-10-2016, 06:56 PM   #246
nixkalo
nixkalo knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'nixkalo knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'nixkalo knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'nixkalo knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'nixkalo knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'nixkalo knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'nixkalo knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'nixkalo knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'nixkalo knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'nixkalo knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'nixkalo knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'

Device: hanlin V3, K4NT, PW3
Quote:
You have been reading my day #1 posts.
(Although just looking at the 5.7.2 source code bundle vs an earlier firmware source code bundle would be the quick and easy place to start - expect to find a much newer version of webkit in 5.7.2 if anything is 'fixed' rather than just 'hidden again'.)

I checked by myself and I guess that they probably closed the hole for real (RenderArena).

Nix
nixkalo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2016, 08:08 PM   #247
odamizu
just an egg
odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle, iOS
Quote:
Originally Posted by odamizu View Post
Is it at all useful to you developers for me to continue this experiment [seeing if update.bin.tmp.partial folder blocks OTA updates]?
Quote:
Yes.
A lot of people would like to know if this method works on 5.6.5 ...
Okay, I will continue the experiment for now, though I may be tempted to update manually once this next update rolls out
odamizu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2016, 08:17 AM   #248
knc1
Going Viral

Quote:
Okay, I will continue the experiment for now, though I may be tempted to update manually once this next update rolls out
Let us hope that they (Amazon/Lab126) changes the firmware version when they fix that font.

On at least one occasion in the past, they updated the firmware but did not change the version number (just the build identifier).
Old 02-12-2016, 12:22 PM   #249
odamizu
just an egg
odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Seriously? That is so wrong Fortunately, the new update is 5.7.2.1

I do want to update, but I can hold off to see if an OTA update gets past the update.bin.tmp.partial folder.

How long do you think I should give it before we can call update.bin.tmp.partial a success?
Old 02-12-2016, 12:28 PM   #250
knc1
Going Viral

Quote:
Seriously? That is so wrong Fortunately, the new update is 5.7.2.1

I do want to update, but I can hold off to see if an OTA update gets past the update.bin.tmp.partial folder.

How long do you think I should give it before we can call update.bin.tmp.partial a success?
We almost always hear when people start getting an OTA update (it usually either breaks things or takes them by surprise).

Meanwhile, I will see if I can find out anything by looking into the OTA updater firmware myself.
(I did, finally, after nearly 7 months, get my PW-3 put back together. But my KT-2 is still a pile of parts on the workbench. )
Old 02-12-2016, 01:54 PM   #251
more
more began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo forma
Hi, is now there a crack or something else, that makes OTA impossible? I have PW2 (5.6.5) with jailbreak and I would like that it stays like it is.

Thanks.
more is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2016, 02:33 PM   #252
knc1
Going Viral

What do you mean by: 'a crack' ?

Keep it in airplane mode until another way is confirmed to work.
Old 02-12-2016, 05:39 PM   #253
more

OK, that is what I wanted to know. A confirmed way
Old 02-23-2016, 02:30 PM   #254
more

Quote:
What do you mean by: 'a crack' ?

Keep it in airplane mode until another way is confirmed to work.
The last time I asked is about 10 days. Is at the moment a possbility to block OTA Updates from Amazon?

I still have 5.6.5 with jailbreak and other nice things, and dont want a upgrade to 5.7... So at the moment I cant go online, because Amazon will force this update, that I dont want.
Old 02-24-2016, 12:15 PM   #255
odamizu
just an egg

I have had "update.bin.tmp.partial" folder in root directory with WiFi continuously on for over 12 days, and no OTA update. I even left it plugged into a/c with WiFi on for 48 hours.

Don't know if "update.bin.tmp.partial" folder is blocking updates or if Amazon just hasn't gotten to my Voyage yet since it can take weeks (months?) for an OTA update to roll-out. YMMV

Tags
k3 k4 k5 kpw backdoorlock