Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 03-21-2024, 08:19 AM   #2476
Sirtel
Grand Sorcerer
Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage & Libra 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by ownedbycats View Post
Even better is when you do recognize the author and there actually isn't any similarity at all.
Yeah. That's common, unfortunately. Like, "for fans of J. K. Rowling and George R. R. Martin" when it's a fantasy book. I mean, what's the common denominator here besides the fact that both authors write fantasy?
Sirtel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2024, 09:00 AM   #2477
Apache
Readaholic
Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Surface Pro 6 / Galaxy Tab A 8"
How horrible Amazon is at sending me unasked for reading recommendations based on my reading history.
Apache
Apache is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-21-2024, 09:04 AM   #2478
arjaybe
Wizard
arjaybe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arjaybe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arjaybe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arjaybe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arjaybe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arjaybe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arjaybe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arjaybe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arjaybe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arjaybe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arjaybe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-650
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sirtel View Post
Yeah. That's common, unfortunately. Like, "for fans of J. K. Rowling and George R. R. Martin" when it's a fantasy book. I mean, what's the common denominator here besides the fact that both authors write fantasy?
Has anyone asked the authors how they like being compared to these people?
arjaybe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2024, 09:07 AM   #2479
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by issybird View Post
Assuming it’s accurate, isn’t that good intel?
Not really if the book(s) or author isn't like the this author/book.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2024, 09:08 AM   #2480
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Apache View Post
How horrible Amazon is at sending me unasked for reading recommendations based on my reading history.
Apache
I get Alexa sometimes recommending a book for me that I don't want. Never has she recommended a book I actually want.
Advert
Old 03-21-2024, 09:10 AM   #2481
ownedbycats
Custom User Title
ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra H2O, formerly Aura HD
Thanks to the way that the Kobo store handles updated editions, I occasionally get recommended books I already own.
ownedbycats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2024, 09:18 AM   #2482
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Thanks to the way that the Kobo store handles updated editions, I occasionally get recommended books I already own.
I think Kobo may have changed how they handle new editions. I've looked at my library and I know for sure that some of the covers have changed. Also, back when my Sony books moved to Kobo, eventually, some stopped being linked to listings because of being different versions. Now some of those eBooks do link to the current listing. So I do think Kobo has stopped their games of whatever version you buy is the version you have unless you ask to have them updated.
Old 03-21-2024, 09:50 AM   #2483
ownedbycats
Custom User Title
ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Hm, I don't think I've seen that myself. The books I've seen pop up in the recommends, if I click them in My Books they just go to a 404 page.
Old 03-21-2024, 11:11 AM   #2484
ekbell
Guru
ekbell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ekbell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ekbell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ekbell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ekbell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ekbell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ekbell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ekbell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ekbell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ekbell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ekbell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sirtel View Post
My youngest was complaining about fantasy books for twelve-year-olds being described as being like both _Alice in Wonderland_ and _Harry Potter_.
ekbell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2024, 11:19 AM   #2485
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Hm, I don't think I've seen that myself. The books I've seen pop up in the recommends, if I click them in My Books they just go to a 404 page.
When was the last time you did this? I noticed this sometime earlier this year so I don't know when it changed,
Old 03-21-2024, 11:32 AM   #2486
ownedbycats
Custom User Title

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
When was the last time you did this? I noticed this sometime earlier this year so I don't know when it changed,
I last noticed an already-purchased book last October - I know this because I mentioned it to a friend on Discord. Specifically it was this one and I have the option to purchase it when logged in. I checked the book URL for the edition I have just prior to posting that, is just valor-s-choice withoout a number.

Last edited by ownedbycats; 03-21-2024 at 12:17 PM.
Old 03-21-2024, 12:55 PM   #2487
issybird
o saeclum infacetum
issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: H2O, Aura One, PW5
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by issybird View Post
Assuming it’s accurate, isn’t that good intel?
Not really if the book(s) or author isn't like the this author/book.
Which is why I said, “assuming it’s accurate.”
issybird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2024, 02:37 PM   #2488
Witty Username
Addict
Witty Username ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Witty Username ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Witty Username ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Witty Username ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Witty Username ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Witty Username ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Witty Username ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Witty Username ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Witty Username ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Witty Username ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Witty Username ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-650, Kobo Touch, Kobo Libra H2O
Quote:
I may have mentioned this before but Kobo also likes to recommend omnibus editions of books I've already bought individually, as they were published.

But I've recently given up browsing the Kobo site because if I have the audacity to look at a title but not buy, I get emails saying 'take another look! ' or 'did you forget something?' One time I'd actually bought the book and still got an email suggesting I should look again.
Witty Username is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2024, 03:01 PM   #2489
ownedbycats
Custom User Title

I usually browse the store in Incognito mode just to avoid that, lol.
Old 03-21-2024, 04:54 PM   #2490
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.
Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: All 4 Kinds: epub eink, Kindle, android eink, NxtPaper11
I didn't subscribe to Kobo advertising. Never had any email from them other than order receipts etc.
Quoth is offline   Reply With Quote