Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 02-08-2016, 03:07 PM   #226
nixkalo
nixkalo knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'nixkalo knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'nixkalo knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'nixkalo knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'nixkalo knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'nixkalo knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'nixkalo knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'nixkalo knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'nixkalo knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'nixkalo knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'nixkalo knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'

Device: hanlin V3, K4NT, PW3
Thinking out loud:
Since I had to use dnsmaq for the 5.6.5 JB, I looked at what things the kindle was requesting. One of them was

query[A] softwareupdates.amazon.com from 192.168.1.92

And one of the records in /opt/var/local/reg/ServerConfig.db (and sqlite3 file) is:
Code:
INSERT INTO "properties" VALUES('dcd','url.dsts','https://softwareupdates.amazon.com/software/inventory');
So, would tweaking with this sqlite3 file help in preventing OTAs?

OTOH, url.dsts appears as a string inside the binary /usr/bin/otav3, and this same binary has, near it, this other string:
/var/local/system/SKIP_UPDATE_CHECK

Could this help?

my .02$
Nix
nixkalo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2016, 03:19 PM   #227
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: No K1, PW2, KV, KOA
Quote:
Originally Posted by sandman7920 View Post
If running out of space doesn't brick Kindle, this might be interesting
dd if=/dev/zero of=/mnt/us/file_fs.img bs=2M count=1024
mkfs.vfat /mnt/us/file_fs.img
mount -oloop /mnt/us/file_fs.img /mnt/us/documents
But i am not sure what will happen during usb-export
Always: bs=4096 (the size of an erase block).

Yeah, there is a fuse layer that the user sees over the actual file system (at: /mnt/base-us IIRC)
No telling what the results of a mount on top of that would be.

I highly recommend rescue pack + coward's rescue pack (add-on to RP) - that will give you ssh/telnet into the diags system if the main system chokes up.

And/or a serial port connection.

PS: Maybe not quite so big, so the system has room for bookmarks, annotations, and book indices (all on that same fat-32 file system).

Note: In the (distant) past, people have split the single partition user storage into two (or more) partitions.
Older devices, much older firmwares.
That might be another way to consume the space in a way that the system "thinks' there isn't any room left in the root of the file system.
knc1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-08-2016, 03:29 PM   #228
AirRaven
AirRaven began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite (1st gen), Kindle 3 (3G)
Quote:
Originally Posted by knc1 View Post
I highly recommend rescue pack + coward's rescue pack (add-on to RP) - that will give you ssh/telnet into the diags system if the main system chokes up.
Just curious- are both of these verified as being functional on the Paperwhite 3?

I've been reluctant to do much playing around without CRP installed, but there doesn't seem to be any kind of account out there of it working on the PW3.
AirRaven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2016, 03:34 PM   #229
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AirRaven View Post
Just curious- are both of these verified as being functional on the Paperwhite 3?

I've been reluctant to do much playing around without CRP installed, but there doesn't seem to be any kind of account out there of it working on the PW3.
I got my PW-3 re-assembled yesterday, I'll give it a try RSN.
Probably tomorrow sometime - more errands to do today (life wins over hobby time).
Old 02-08-2016, 04:23 PM   #230
NiLuJe
BLAM!
NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2i, 3g, 4, 5w, PW, PW2, PW5; Kobo H2O, Forma, Elipsa, Sage, C2E
@AirRaven: Actual reports, I don't think so? But someone provided @knc1 with a diags image from a PW3 or a KV, and he passed it on to me, and AFAICT, it appears to be safe & functional.

That's when my RP/CRP snapshots started to be installable on those devices.
NiLuJe is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-08-2016, 11:31 PM   #231
odamizu
just an egg
odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle, iOS
Quote:
Originally Posted by odamizu View Post
I have update.bin.tmp.partial folder on my Voyage 5.6.5. (per this post). I've had WiFi on, and so far no forced update. Don't know if it's because update.bin.tmp.partial is blocking it, or Amazon just hasn't gotten to my Voyage yet.
Quote:
Originally Posted by knc1 View Post
That is the only way to test it -
Put the folder in there and hold it up in the air, see if Amazon shoots it down.
Thanks

Is it at all useful to you developers for me to continue this experiment?
odamizu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2016, 01:07 AM   #232
knc1
Going Viral

Quote:
Originally Posted by odamizu View Post
Thanks

Is it at all useful to you developers for me to continue this experiment?
Yes.
A lot of people would like to know if this method works on 5.6.5 -
Keep in mind, less than 1% of our users ever bother to register and make a comment.

And as I mentioned above, it may take as much as six weeks for Amazon to finish with the OTA updates (according to a notice I received from them).

If anyone intends to stay on 5.6.5 -

remember to never use the built-in browser - its a webkit/javascript problem with the version shipped in the Kindle.

and note that our build of skipstone has been reported as still working.
I haven't seen any reports (yet) about our build of Mindora.

Last edited by knc1; 02-09-2016 at 01:12 AM.
Old 02-09-2016, 01:15 AM   #233
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie
eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Beaten Path, USA, Roundworld, This Side of Infinity
Device: Kindle Touch fw5.3.7 (Wifi only)
Midori.

The problem with Midori is, last time I tried it, it was just way too much of a burden on my poor Kindle -- I couldn't do anything with it.

Does the PW do any better, or is my KT just stubborn?
eschwartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2016, 01:43 AM   #234
knc1
Going Viral

Quote:
Originally Posted by eschwartz View Post
Midori.

The problem with Midori is, last time I tried it, it was just way too much of a burden on my poor Kindle -- I couldn't do anything with it.

Does the PW do any better, or is my KT just stubborn?
Your KT has a slower processor and half as much ram (IIRC).

But as you noted in the first line quoted, my IIRC may not be working.
Old 02-09-2016, 02:34 AM   #235
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie
eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Beaten Path, USA, Roundworld, This Side of Infinity
Device: Kindle Touch fw5.3.7 (Wifi only)
ISTR the Voyage was finally bumped from the traditional 256 MB to 512 MB.

And the PW2 was the first model with the i.MX6
eschwartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2016, 07:49 AM   #236
knc1
Going Viral

And since we are testing 5.6.5 - then we are not testing a PW-1.

I think my PW-3 has 512 MB ram also - I can check later today.
The el-cheap'o KT-2 may not, but mine is still torn apart, I can't check that.

There was a recent thread about Android on the i.MX6 models that mention how much ram each shipped with.
Old 02-10-2016, 07:18 AM   #237
guerrilla
Connoisseur
guerrilla began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
I'm sorry I'm not sure that I got the last two pages of this thread right.
Is a jailbroken PW2 with 5.4.5.1 firmware and BackDoorLock hack installed still safe against silent updates or did Amazon find a way to circumvent it with this OTA they are releasing now?
guerrilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2016, 07:40 AM   #238
knc1
Going Viral

Quote:
Originally Posted by guerrilla View Post
I'm sorry I'm not sure that I got the last two pages of this thread right.
Is a jailbroken PW2 with 5.4.5.1 firmware and BackDoorLock hack installed still safe against silent updates or did Amazon find a way to circumvent it with this OTA they are releasing now?
Ah ....

The OTA download is being done by the currently executing version, not the version to be installed in the future.

If your currently executing a firmware version that is not in the 5.6.x series, this backdoor lock is effective.
Old 02-10-2016, 09:22 AM   #239
guerrilla
Connoisseur
guerrilla began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
Uh ok. I missed the news about the 5.6.5 jb being out.
So, in order to avoid surprises, it's advisable to hold on and wait to upgrade to 5.6.5 untill BDL will work on 5.6.5, right?
guerrilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2016, 09:31 AM   #240
knc1
Going Viral

Quote:
Originally Posted by guerrilla View Post
Uh ok. I missed the news about the 5.6.5 jb being out.
So, in order to avoid surprises, it's advisable to hold on and wait to upgrade to 5.6.5 untill BDL will work on 5.6.5, right?
I would not advise that -
You WANT to update to 5.7.2 because it disables the JB vector in 5.6.5
The only reason for using 5.6.5 is if you need to install the JB on a device that has not already been jailbroken.

BIG NOTE: Be certain you have the most recent JB from the snapshots thread installed before upgrading.

Also: See the BDL alternatives at the bottom of this post:
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...96&postcount=2

Tags
k3 k4 k5 kpw backdoorlock