Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 05-22-2014, 03:59 AM   #226
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prestidigitweeze View Post
Harry wasn't asking about our conversation. He was responding to the following complaint about Harry Potter books (which was made by Dngrsone, not Harold Bloom):
Yes, that is indeed what I was referring to. The claim was, I believe, that the errors were in books 4 and 5 of the series.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2014, 05:04 PM   #227
Hitch
Bookmaker & Cat Slave
Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K2, iPad, KFire, PPW, Voyage, NookColor. 2 Droid, Oasis, Boox Note2
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
Yes, that is indeed what I was referring to. The claim was, I believe, that the errors were in books 4 and 5 of the series.
Thanks, guys! I'll peruse it most carefully. Sunday, most likely. And shall report back.

Hitch
Hitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-26-2014, 05:43 PM   #228
Hitch
Bookmaker & Cat Slave
Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
No errata in Book 5, chapter one in toto. Will report on Book 6 later. One possible typo in Book One, first chapter, First Scholastic Trade PPBK, 1999, page 10, line 10, which reads, from left margin:

Quote:
heard it. Flocks of owls . . . shooting stars . . . Well, they're not[...]
If I'd had the book, I would have set the "w" in Well as lower-case. But thus far, in 1 and 5, that's all I've seen. I'll check book 6 (I went back and checked Dngrsone's post, it was books 5 and 6 he was talking about) later tonight. I checked 1, originally, because I erroneously thought that's what he was talking about. (Duh).

Your faithful correspondent,
Hitch
Old 06-03-2014, 02:48 AM   #229
Prestidigitweeze
Fledgling Demagogue
Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Clara HD; Oasis 2; Aura HD; iPad Air; PRS-350; Galaxy S7.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hitch View Post
No errata in Book 5, chapter one in toto. Will report on Book 6 later. One possible typo in Book One, first chapter, First Scholastic Trade PPBK, 1999, page 10, line 10, which reads, from left margin:

Quote:
heard it. Flocks of owls . . . shooting stars . . . Well, they're not[...]
Do you use calibre and, if so, does it set all ellipses to three points? If so, then it's possible that four-point ellipses were used before the word Well and calibre (or one of your plugins) "fixed" them by rendering them incorrect.

As I'm sure you know, three points are used after an incomplete sentence (or within a sentence that continues); four, after a complete sentence. When a writer uses sentence fragments consistently and deliberately, the status of a clause can become ambiguous even when it isn't independent (implied omissions, etc.).

Last edited by Prestidigitweeze; 06-03-2014 at 02:50 AM.
Prestidigitweeze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2014, 03:25 PM   #230
Hitch
Bookmaker & Cat Slave

Quote:
Do you use calibre and, if so, does it set all ellipses to three points? If so, then it's possible that four-point ellipses were used before the word Well and calibre (or one of your plugins) "fixed" them by rendering them incorrect.

As I'm sure you know, three points are used after an incomplete sentence (or within a sentence that continues); four, after a complete sentence. When a writer uses sentence fragments consistently and deliberately, the status of a clause can become ambiguous even when it isn't independent (implied omissions, etc.).
Prestidigitweeze:

No. I don't use Calibre for reading, nor to fix, tweak, etc., books. (I do use it to keep a catalog of books we've made). Book 5 (the Book 5 I'm checking) is a Pottermore version (reading on a Fire).

The "typo" I reported was in the Book 1 (Philsopher's/Sorcerer's Stone) 1997 paperback version, Scholastic, which I bought second-hand a couple of years ago when I decided to finally read the books. So, it's nothing that "we" did; it's print. And I still think it was an error; a capital after ellipses should only be a proper noun, as far as I know; otherwise, there should be an ellipses and a period (the ubiquitously-badly-done "4 dots").

HOWEVER, the book 1 info was gratuitous; it was, after all, Books 5 and 6 that Dangrsone thought were rife with typos and errors. I've checked Book 5, and found none in the first chapter. I haven't had a chance to check Book 6 yet. I shall report back as soon as I have.

Hitch
Advert
Old 06-03-2014, 04:57 PM   #231
Prestidigitweeze
Fledgling Demagogue
Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Clara HD; Oasis 2; Aura HD; iPad Air; PRS-350; Galaxy S7.
I'm not trying to prove you wrong, Hitch. An idiosyncrasy in a Calibre (or plugin) default -- one that a reader might only notice if they happened to be paying close attention to formatting before and after a book was processed -- might have helped to solve the issue without making anyone look wrong: not you, not the author and not the person who reported he didn't find any errors in the books.

Sadly, that explanation didn't apply.

Quote:
Prestidigitweeze:

No. I don't use Calibre for reading, nor to fix, tweak, etc., books. (I do use it to keep a catalog of books we've made). Book 5 (the Book 5 I'm checking) is a Pottermore version (reading on a Fire).

The "typo" I reported was in the Book 1 (Philsopher's/Sorcerer's Stone) 1997 paperback version, Scholastic, which I bought second-hand a couple of years ago when I decided to finally read the books. So, it's nothing that "we" did; it's print. And I still think it was an error; a capital after ellipses should only be a proper noun, as far as I know; otherwise, there should be an ellipses and a period (the ubiquitously-badly-done "4 dots").

HOWEVER, the book 1 info was gratuitous; it was, after all, Books 5 and 6 that Dangrsone thought were rife with typos and errors. I've checked Book 5, and found none in the first chapter. I haven't had a chance to check Book 6 yet. I shall report back as soon as I have.

Hitch
Prestidigitweeze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2014, 07:42 PM   #232
Hitch
Bookmaker & Cat Slave

Quote:
I'm not trying to prove you wrong, Hitch. An idiosyncrasy in a Calibre (or plugin) default -- one that a reader might only notice if they happened to be paying close attention to formatting before and after a book was processed -- might have helped to solve the issue without making anyone look wrong: not you, not the author and not the person who reported he didn't find any errors in the books.

Sadly, that explanation didn't apply.
Oh!

I never thought that; I was clarifying. I sometimes get down too low in the weeds when explaining stuff. It's an unfortunate UC (Unintended Consequence) of explaining "stuff," over and over, all day long, to folks who won't RTFI.

So, please: I didn't think that, and wasn't remotely considering that when I explained. I was just...Over-explaining. T'was indeed the print edition. OTOH, it was Scholastic, so who knows? Maybe the "well" was Well.

URGH...long week already. I'm bailing on this answer before I make myself look stupider than I do now.

n.b.: I do enjoy, having been sucked into re-reading the things, (gonna kill ya, Harry!) though the discussion about typos, re-discovering all the cleverly humorous bits that were omitted from the movies, like the ELF and SPEW. It's easy to forget--at least, it is for me--that Rowling had a nice sense of humor that she applied deftly at times throughout. Yes, some things were slapstick--but others were indeed nicely done, and thoroughly enjoyable for adult readers.

Hitch
Old 06-19-2014, 09:56 PM   #233
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gazella View Post
But I guess this was the standard with Russian literature, most are long and ponderous.
And boring.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2014, 09:59 PM   #234
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rkomar View Post
Do most people abandon "The Girl With the Dragon Tattoo"? I thought it was alright, and had no trouble finishing it. Like Rowling, Larsson is very good at pacing the action to make you want to keep reading. You don't get bored or overly fatigued from excitement.
The problem is that the beginning is a bit dull and (IMHO) I think the problem is that those that stop reading it don't bother to get past the dull opening to get to the good stuff. I read it and I'm glad I stuck with it past the dull beginning.
Old 06-19-2014, 10:03 PM   #235
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichelleLouring View Post
When I started reading "The Girl With the Dragon Tattoo", everyone kept telling me that I just had to get through the first 100 pages, then it got really good. I gave up at page 115.
Well pick it up and keep going. And the people who said you have to make it past the first 100 pages may be wrong. Make it the first half and then if you don't like it, give it up. 5 pages past the dull beginning is not enough to get into it. That's like reading only the first five pages and then putting the book down. 5 pages is not enough to tell if you like a book. I consider the dull beginning to not count in terms of whether you like it or not. I consider after the dull bits to be the part where you start reading. So treat it as such and 5 pages doesn't cut it.
Old 06-19-2014, 10:06 PM   #236
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by latepaul View Post
But back on topic. Books I genuinely can't finish tend to be ones I felt like would be good or should be good because they're popular or classics but which I might not have chosen otherwise.
A lot of the NYT bestsellers are not my style. So I don't bother with them. I don't read a book just because it's popular. I'll notice a book because it's popular and if it sounds like I might like it I might give it a go.
Old 06-20-2014, 07:56 AM   #237
Gazella
Wizard
Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
And boring.

Wolf, have you ever read a novel by a Russian author?
Gazella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2014, 02:58 PM   #238
Hitch
Bookmaker & Cat Slave

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
Well pick it up and keep going. And the people who said you have to make it past the first 100 pages may be wrong. Make it the first half and then if you don't like it, give it up. 5 pages past the dull beginning is not enough to get into it. That's like reading only the first five pages and then putting the book down. 5 pages is not enough to tell if you like a book. I consider the dull beginning to not count in terms of whether you like it or not. I consider after the dull bits to be the part where you start reading. So treat it as such and 5 pages doesn't cut it.
I read the whole thing and couldn't believe that it was a bestseller. Don't misunderstand me, the creation of Lisbeth Salander (sp?) was brilliant. Loved that part. Didn't care for the protagonist that much, who felt more like a leaf being carried down a stream than a hard-charging investigative journalist. (Also thought that the "every woman he met jumped into bed with him" part was too much anthropomorphizing for his avatar, {yawn}).

Spoiler:
The big "triumph" at the end, over the "evil" industrialist? Never did figure out what on earth they were talking about, if indeed it was a big deal. It seemed pretty minor to me.

The murder mystery?

Spoiler:
And the deal with how the son had tons of women coming up to the "Big House," and they never left? In a small town? With ONE road, going in and out? Anyone ever live in a small town like that? I do. Everybody knows everybody else's comings and goings. Nobody noticed? Pah. Not to mention, I figured out it was him less than half-way through.

AND the BS with the near-identical THREE girls? Not two, but THREE? And the part with the passport? How X falls on her sword, and never gets hers renewed, so the "dead" victim can go to AUS? What's up with that nonsense? Why not get it renewed 1-2 years later, when the chances of AUS and GB ever, ever figuring it out were non-existent?

I just felt it was grossly overrated. No doubt due to Lisbeth's creation, which, again, I thought was fabulous. But the rest just felt turgid. The coincidences were one too many, the solution was forced. The big "reveal" at the end for the "evil capitalist" was deader'n Julius Caesar for me. {shrug}.

Wasn't my cuppa. It was "okay," I suppose, but I never bothered to read the next two.

Hitch
Old 06-20-2014, 03:32 PM   #239
speakingtohe
Wizard
speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: sony PRS-T1 and T3, Kobo Mini and Aura HD, Tablet
Quote:
I read the whole thing and couldn't believe that it was a bestseller. Don't misunderstand me, the creation of Lisbeth Salander (sp?) was brilliant. Loved that part. Didn't care for the protagonist that much, who felt more like a leaf being carried down a stream than a hard-charging investigative journalist. (Also thought that the "every woman he met jumped into bed with him" part was too much anthropomorphizing for his avatar, {yawn}).

Spoiler:
The big "triumph" at the end, over the "evil" industrialist? Never did figure out what on earth they were talking about, if indeed it was a big deal. It seemed pretty minor to me.

The murder mystery?

Spoiler:
And the deal with how the son had tons of women coming up to the "Big House," and they never left? In a small town? With ONE road, going in and out? Anyone ever live in a small town like that? I do. Everybody knows everybody else's comings and goings. Nobody noticed? Pah. Not to mention, I figured out it was him less than half-way through.

AND the BS with the near-identical THREE girls? Not two, but THREE? And the part with the passport? How X falls on her sword, and never gets hers renewed, so the "dead" victim can go to AUS? What's up with that nonsense? Why not get it renewed 1-2 years later, when the chances of AUS and GB ever, ever figuring it out were non-existent?

I just felt it was grossly overrated. No doubt due to Lisbeth's creation, which, again, I thought was fabulous. But the rest just felt turgid. The coincidences were one too many, the solution was forced. The big "reveal" at the end for the "evil capitalist" was deader'n Julius Caesar for me. {shrug}.

Wasn't my cuppa. It was "okay," I suppose, but I never bothered to read the next two.

Hitch
I am with you. I didn't actually finish. Maybe 2/3. I had to keep going back to try and make sense and it didn't seem to work. Still this was a book given to me by a friend who loved it, so each to their own.

Helen
speakingtohe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2014, 03:51 PM   #240
Hitch
Bookmaker & Cat Slave

Quote:
Originally Posted by speakingtohe View Post
I am with you. I didn't actually finish. Maybe 2/3. I had to keep going back to try and make sense and it didn't seem to work. Still this was a book given to me by a friend who loved it, so each to their own.

Helen
Ah, Helen:

Somehow, I'm never surprised when we agree. :-) I did force myself to finish it, because I just had to see if there was something so stunning at the end, reveal-wise, that made it such a hit, like Turow's book or whats-is-name's big hit movie, the "I see dead people" film. (Speaking of one-hit-wonders...Shymalan (sp?), I mean, not Turow, although arguably, he hasn't lived up to that book since.)

Hitch