Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > Bookeen

Notices

Old 04-04-2008, 01:00 PM   #226
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Basically to count lines/characters, the Gen3 would have to internally render each page to be able to do so. It's going to kill a lot of the battery doing so.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2008, 01:04 PM   #227
delphidb96
Wizard
delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: TWO Kindle 2s, one each Bookeen Cybook Gen3, Sony PRS-500, Axim X51V
Quote:
Originally Posted by tompe View Post
Why are companies releasing sub standard programs? You have to ask them. I also find it extremely strange that they have not implemented it better since as you say there are a lot of support available for this.
I guess we're going to have to differ on what constitutes "sub-standard". In my opinion, any first-generation hardware/firmware implementation which delivers - I'd say - 80%-85% of the feature set is not "sub-standard". Now if this were a third-generation device with firmware up to Version 5 or 6, I'd be right with you on this.

Quote:
My purpose was just to remind about that since you asked about html in prc files. Event if html was not used in prc files the page number thing should work for html files.
You've got a point there. But then, page numbering doesn't work in HTML for web browsers. (At least, not all the time in all web browsers.)

Derek
delphidb96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-04-2008, 01:37 PM   #228
tompe
Grand Sorcerer
tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Nexus 5, Kindle PW
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
After seeing the bug in action, I really think Bookeen should do away with goto page as it only inflames people to want to see page numbers which are useless since they don't work. If they worked, then yes, displaying them is a very good idea. But since they are broken, just ignore them.
I think the best think is to call it "position" or something like that and do like FBReader and do not map 1 position to one page forward.
tompe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2008, 02:05 PM   #229
hmls
Enthusiast
hmls began at the beginning.

Device: Cybook
Quote:
Originally Posted by tompe View Post
It is most probably because of a corrupt file system that these problems occur. The problem is that nearly all people having these problems seems to be people that do now know so much about computers or are afraid to test things beacause it has been nearly impossible to get somebody with the problem to confirm that the file system is corrupt.
I agree that a corrupt file system makes sense since I have not had the problem since I moved my books to an SD card. If the file system is corrupt, how did it get that way? As I said, this problem cropped up the very first day I used the device. All I did was copy books into the eBook folder and I always ejected the device before unplugging it.

How would you suggest verifying that it is a corrupt file system?
hmls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2008, 02:13 PM   #230
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer
DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: EB 1150, EZ Reader, Literati, iPad 2 & Air 2, iPhone 7
Quote:
Basically to count lines/characters, the Gen3 would have to internally render each page to be able to do so. It's going to kill a lot of the battery doing so.
And it would have to rerender each and every page every time you changed fonts, either size or type. In addition it would have to store this data for every page somewhere. Eventually it might have a particular book paginated well enough to read it but it would cost a lot of time and battery power.

The other choice is to map the page number to something that doesn't have to change all the time such as original page in the paper version (no place in the eBook for this data in mobipocket format) or paragraph number or like amazon does - every 128 bytes.

Dale
DaleDe is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-04-2008, 02:32 PM   #231
tompe
Grand Sorcerer
tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Nexus 5, Kindle PW
Quote:
Originally Posted by hmls View Post
How would you suggest verifying that it is a corrupt file system?
In Linux I would run fsck on the file system. There are similar tools for Windows and they are probably named Scandisk, Chkdsk or Fsck. Google on "fsck Windows" and it will give you relevant information.
tompe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2008, 02:39 PM   #232
jgray
Fanatic
jgray ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgray ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgray ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgray ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgray ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgray ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgray ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgray ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgray ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgray ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgray ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Clara 2E & Sage
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaleDe View Post
And it would have to rerender each and every page every time you changed fonts, either size or type. In addition it would have to store this data for every page somewhere. Eventually it might have a particular book paginated well enough to read it but it would cost a lot of time and battery power.
Dale
Microsoft manages to do this on PDAs with their LIT reader software, so it is doable on battery powered devices. Admittedly the reader only allows font size changes and not font face. The software does this paging in the background when you load the ebook. The only time you would notice it is if you loaded a very long ebook and immediately tried to jump to some page near the end before the pagination was finished.
jgray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2008, 02:59 PM   #233
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
After seeing the bug in action, I really think Bookeen should do away with goto page as it only inflames people to want to see page numbers which are useless since they don't work. If they worked, then yes, displaying them is a very good idea. But since they are broken, just ignore them.
They still provide a useful facility for going to an approximate position in a book. Without the "goto page", for example, there would be no way to go, say, half way through a book without paging through it a page at a time.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2008, 03:40 PM   #234
ProfJulie
Evangelist
ProfJulie has learned how to read e-booksProfJulie has learned how to read e-booksProfJulie has learned how to read e-booksProfJulie has learned how to read e-booksProfJulie has learned how to read e-booksProfJulie has learned how to read e-booksProfJulie has learned how to read e-books

Device: whatever
The goto option works fine on PDF files since PDF files do not dynamically repaginate. It is an option that I use all the time with PDF files I read on the Cybook.
ProfJulie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2008, 03:49 PM   #235
Halk
Fanatic
Halk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Halk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Halk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Halk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Halk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Halk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Halk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Halk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Halk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Halk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Halk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-650 (PRS+ alpha - thanks Kartu!)
Sorry to go back on topic! :P

Harry's original post from Bookeen support said it'd be available the first week in April.

I had assumed that the first week in April would probably end up being next week, seeing as how this one started on the 30th or 31st of March (depending if you believe the week starts on a Sunday or Monday)

I'm not sure what the standard definition of the first week is though.

Is it the first week already, or is that next week?
Halk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2008, 04:35 PM   #236
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I assume they mean the first 7 days in April. I'm sort of expecting it to be released on Monday (7th April).
Old 04-04-2008, 04:40 PM   #237
delphidb96
Wizard
delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
I assume they mean the first 7 days in April. I'm sort of expecting it to be released on Monday (7th April).
Sorry, but this is the first week in April. And it should (as in that's what I wish to happen, we've certainly waited long enough and I'm bouncing off the walls in frustration) either be in our hands as of the end of business today, or before the beginning of business on Monday - that would be 'business day' as of Paris, France.

Whether it shows up today, I couldn't begin to predict. It would be nice to have it in the next few hours.

Derek
Old 04-04-2008, 04:44 PM   #238
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

It's nearly 11pm in Paris. I think you're being a little optimistic expecting it tonight .
Old 04-04-2008, 04:44 PM   #239
delphidb96
Wizard

Quote:
I think most people would assume 'the first week' to mean the first period of the calendar mont ending at the first weekend. If we go with the assumption of the exact first seven days, we might as well go with the first seven business days. That would allow Bookeen to fudge until April 9th.

Derek
Old 04-04-2008, 04:44 PM   #240
delphidb96
Wizard

Quote:
It's nearly 11pm in Paris. I think you're being a little optimistic expecting it tonight .
I know. And the walls are looking a tad banged up.

Derek