Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > Interead COOL-ER

Notices

Old 05-28-2009, 04:47 AM   #211
Sweetpea
Grand Sorcerer
Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Inkpad 4 Color; Samsung Galaxy Tab S6
This review only shows again that I apparently have a completely different point of view regarding ebook readers...

No keyboard is a plus, I don't care that the books on their site are more expensive that on Amazon, which I can't buy anyway.

Besides, right now, there's only one device out there with Whispernet. None of the other devices have that ability (yet). So, I wonder why they constantly compare it to that, as if that's the standard.

I'm still waiting for an in-depth review that not only mentions the Kindle and Sony, but also the CyBook, Hanlin (or any of its clones) and any other ebook reader that's out there.

But I do agree with one thing, at $250, I think it's too expensive.
Sweetpea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2009, 06:47 AM   #212
galavanter
Zealot
galavanter has learned how to read e-booksgalavanter has learned how to read e-booksgalavanter has learned how to read e-booksgalavanter has learned how to read e-booksgalavanter has learned how to read e-booksgalavanter has learned how to read e-booksgalavanter has learned how to read e-booksgalavanter has learned how to read e-books

Device: jetBook, iPod Touch, Kindle 3
Here's another review, by Mr. Pogue.

http://www.nytimes.com/2009/05/28/te...ewanted=1&8dpc
galavanter is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-28-2009, 08:20 AM   #213
rixte
Addict
rixte ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rixte ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rixte ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rixte ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rixte ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rixte ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rixte ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rixte ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rixte ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rixte ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rixte ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: new oasis, paperwhite, ipad, kobo
My very favorite part of the Gizmodo review is where the reviewer says:

"The only thing going for it is that it works as an eBook reader if reading is the most important part of the package (which it is, to many people)."

Well. That's going to ruin the plans of the legions of prospective customers who wanted to buy an ebook reading in order to play chess.
rixte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2009, 08:22 AM   #214
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweetpea View Post
But I do agree with one thing, at $250, I think it's too expensive.
It seems to be competitively priced with other devices. I don't think $250 is too outrageous.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2009, 09:43 AM   #215
Sweetpea
Grand Sorcerer
Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Inkpad 4 Color; Samsung Galaxy Tab S6
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
It seems to be competitively priced with other devices. I don't think $250 is too outrageous.
No, not too outrageous, but from every review I've seen so far, I understand that the firmware is rather... basic.

And about that review by Mr. Pogue.

Again, the kindle is put up as the standard again, with whispernet and a keyboard. While none of the other devices out there has one...
Sweetpea is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-28-2009, 10:20 AM   #216
Hatgirl
Addict
Hatgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hatgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hatgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hatgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hatgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hatgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hatgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hatgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hatgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hatgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hatgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-300, Sony PRS-T2, Kindle (7th Gen)
Yep, many reviews don't talk about what I want to know about (weight, ergonomic design of buttons, refresh rate, search, dictionary support). Whispernet is not an issue outside of the States.

Still, Mr. Pogue's review has some new and interesting facts:
Quote:
...The company says that it will offer additional batteries for $5....starting this fall, you’ll be able to sell books you’ve written on Coolerbooks.com; you’ll keep 50 percent of each sale.....you can share a Cool-er book you’ve bought with four other people....Even when you’ve successfully registered a “next page” button press, it can take several seconds for the screen to change accordingly.....performing a type-size change requires — no joke — 16 key presses..... It doesn’t play Audible audio books....

Hmmm... food for thought.
Hatgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2009, 05:24 PM   #217
Hatgirl
Addict
Hatgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hatgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hatgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hatgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hatgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hatgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hatgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hatgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hatgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hatgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hatgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-300, Sony PRS-T2, Kindle (7th Gen)
Residents of Great Britain can enter a competition to win one of two Cool-er Readers. The link is at the end of this Techradar article.
Hatgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2009, 09:49 PM   #218
readdiction
voracious reader
readdiction began at the beginning.

Device: Cybook Gen 3
I've been having a few problems with my Cybook - the support team gave me a replacement but it was still faulty It's just too frustrating to even look at! So, I'm on the lookout for a new reader.

The Cool-er has a lot of potential but I personally wouldn't buy the first generation. Plus, if you're in the UK, might as well get the sony prs-505 from John Lewis (if you want red/silver) or from waterstones for £199. The offer ends 1st June for JL.

I think for just £10 extra, I'll go for the Sony (*red*) even though I really REALLY love the Cool-er's colors! *so pretty*
readdiction is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2009, 10:16 PM   #219
Cabe
Connoisseur
Cabe has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Cabe has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Cabe has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Cabe has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Cabe has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Sony PRS-505, iPhone
Or form Play.com for 179.99 with fre delivery - silver only though, no blue
Cabe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2009, 06:43 AM   #220
Tuna
Zealot
Tuna has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Tuna has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Tuna has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Tuna has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Cool-ER
I'm currently weighing up the Cooler against the 505 as they can be bought for very similar money.

It looks like the cooler has slightly faster hardware, but the 505 has more flexible input (buttons for menu navigation and so on). I can't see any deal killers in terms of formats supported. As far as display is concerned, it appears that the cooler offers a wider choice of font and size. Both appear to offer a landscape mode. The replacable battery on the Cooler is a big plus.

The weakest point for the Cooler is that it is essentially just an OEM device. That's allowed them to get it to market commendably quickly and cheaply. However, it also means that the firmware is probably pretty much out of Interead's hands and that could be a problem. They need the device to deliver the best possible user experience and to do that, they need the firmware to sing.

By all accounts, Netronix (the OEM) are a hardware company and I think that shows in the UI. For all that you can make something look like an iPod, it's got to have software that makes the most out of the few buttons that the user has to interact with the device. Good user interface design is a black art and there are a very small number of people who have the skill to carry it out. It's not something that you can just read up on (ironically enough). I've been involved in work like this for clients and the subtle difference between 'functional' and 'beautiful' in the hands of a user can require more effort than implementing the main functions of the device.

(As an aside, I think the OpenInkpot effort is going to fall foul of this at some point - they appear to have implemented something that depends on the hardware having particular buttons for the user to press. Porting it to new devices presents the problem not only of mapping different controls, but then making sure that the controls remain logical and effective with a user interface that was designed to work best with a particular configuration).

Already some reviews have mentioned difficult to navigate menus and couter-intuitive controls. Again, these aren't really deal killers - most of the time you just want to turn the page and that's easy - but it makes the difference between an iPod and any of the thousands of other MP3 players that haven't become a household name. Unfortunately I'm not sure Interead have the ability to do much about it, so I suspect the Cool-er is going to be more of a workhorse product than an object of desire.

All of that doesn't really help me make a decision between the Sony and the Cooler.
Tuna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2009, 06:56 AM   #221
Tuna
Zealot
Tuna has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Tuna has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Tuna has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Tuna has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

One other thing. If the SD card slot supported SDIO (I doubt it does), the Cooler could pull a rabbit out of the hat by supporting wireless SD cards. One simple purchase could upgrade your cooler to download books wirelessly and in one sweep remove any significant percieved difference between the Cooler and the (much more expensive) Kindle. For that matter a USB dongle could provide similar functionality though it wouldn't be nearly as slick.

Personally, I don't see the benefit of wireless update though I understand that for first time users it makes the whole experience fantastically easy. I'm rarely so far away from a PC that I can't download stuff to my Ebook in preparation for journeys or holidays. It's also nice to know that my library is on a PC that is properly and regularly backed up, rather than an ebook that can be dropped, drowned, lost or broken at any point.
Old 05-29-2009, 09:40 AM   #222
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer
DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: EB 1150, EZ Reader, Literati, iPad 2 & Air 2, iPhone 7
Have you been able to determine how many levels of gray scale there are on the device?

Dale
DaleDe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2009, 10:06 AM   #223
Godzil
a pthread?? where? where?
Godzil can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Godzil can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Godzil can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Godzil can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Godzil can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Godzil can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Godzil can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Godzil can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Godzil can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Godzil can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Godzil can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.

Device: Newton MessagePad 2100, and only this
I seriously doubt that it will have more than 4 shades of gray if it's a standard netronics EB600. (IE Appolo driven, not Metronome nor Epson Broadsheet)
Godzil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2009, 10:31 AM   #224
Tuna
Zealot

The website says 8 shades, which seems consistent with the current generation of displays.
Old 05-29-2009, 11:04 AM   #225
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer
DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: EB 1150, EZ Reader, Literati, iPad 2 & Air 2, iPhone 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tuna View Post
The website says 8 shades, which seems consistent with the current generation of displays.
Exactly, this is an important point. Either the web site is misrepresenting the product or the Netronix info is out of date. The display is not the issue here. The issue is the display controller. The new generation controllers have the ability to support more gray levels and other features as well but this is the key indicator. That is why it needs to be tested. It is not just a matter of whether you like gray or not.

Dale
DaleDe is offline   Reply With Quote