Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 05-14-2014, 02:03 PM   #2221
Gazella
Wizard
Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Scribe, Kobo Libra Colour
Paperwhite Second Gen: First Impressions

The new one is noticeably whiter. Looks great overall. Enjoy reading on your new Kindle!
Gazella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2014, 11:57 AM   #2222
mirbg
Enthusiast
mirbg began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 2
Guys, are those little black dots all over on the screen normal? My first unit had them, my second (the very yellow one) also, but not so much and my current one also has it. They are most visible with brightness on max level:
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	pic7.jpg
Views:	419
Size:	446.8 KB
ID:	123009   Click image for larger version

Name:	pic8.jpg
Views:	377
Size:	394.3 KB
ID:	123010   Click image for larger version

Name:	pic9.jpg
Views:	420
Size:	238.3 KB
ID:	123011   Click image for larger version

Name:	pic99.jpg
Views:	353
Size:	301.2 KB
ID:	123012  

Last edited by mirbg; 05-15-2014 at 12:12 PM.
mirbg is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-15-2014, 12:30 PM   #2223
Gazella
Wizard
Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Scribe, Kobo Libra Colour
I'm not sure. But then again, you're not going to use your Kindle with max brightness are you? It's just impossible.

I've cranked the brightness of my PW to the max (was very painful to see), I took pictures:

http://s17.postimg.org/gvluxsc8v/photo_1.jpg

http://s30.postimg.org/k2f0jb9a9/photo_2.jpg
Gazella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2014, 01:53 PM   #2224
mirbg
Enthusiast

Thanks a lot! I can see some on yours too, but I am not going for another replacement, especially when I saw that the previous two also had many particles underneath the screen. Will live with this and thats it. Hope that the technology will develop and such a flaws will be cleared over the time.
Old 05-16-2014, 04:43 AM   #2225
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Yes. All eInk screens have them; they are the capsules of the eInk screen.

For goodness sake stop looking for problems, and start reading books. Why are you deliberately looking for problems where none exist? I just don't get it. All your PWs have been absolutely fine, to my mind.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-16-2014, 07:44 AM   #2226
mirbg
Enthusiast

Thanks! You are right!
Old 05-23-2014, 08:33 PM   #2227
jocampo
Layback feline
jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 2nd gen, Sony DPTS1, iPad Pro 10.5"
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
Yes. All eInk screens have them; they are the capsules of the eInk screen.

For goodness sake stop looking for problems, and start reading books. Why are you deliberately looking for problems where none exist? I just don't get it. All your PWs have been absolutely fine, to my mind.

Lol ... some of us have a bit of OCD, hahahaha...
jocampo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2014, 12:18 AM   #2228
BeeTee-Ess
Addict
BeeTee-Ess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeeTee-Ess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeeTee-Ess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeeTee-Ess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeeTee-Ess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeeTee-Ess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeeTee-Ess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeeTee-Ess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeeTee-Ess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeeTee-Ess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeeTee-Ess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3, K4NT, KPW2, Voyage, iP4, iP6, iPad Mini, HP TouchPad, Kobo Mini
Quote:
Originally Posted by jocampo View Post
Lol ... some of us have a bit of OCD, hahahaha...
...or CDO, which is the same thing, except the letters are in the right order.
BeeTee-Ess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2014, 05:07 PM   #2229
ereaderSam
Connoisseur
ereaderSam doesn't litterereaderSam doesn't litter

I notice that you can buy this at my local Best Buy. Which means I would not have to wait for shipping. Any reason why I should not do this. Is it better to order it from Amazon. Have any of you bought it from Best Buy?
ereaderSam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2014, 08:01 PM   #2230
kyrilson
Fanatic
kyrilson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyrilson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyrilson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyrilson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyrilson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyrilson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyrilson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyrilson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyrilson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyrilson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyrilson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Voyage, Oasis, Kobo Glo HD,iPad Pro, Sony 350 and T2
Quote:
Originally Posted by ereaderSam View Post
I notice that you can buy this at my local Best Buy. Which means I would not have to wait for shipping. Any reason why I should not do this. Is it better to order it from Amazon. Have any of you bought it from Best Buy?
Shouldn't matter. I think when you first start it up, it'll ask you for your Amazon email and automatically link it to that account.
kyrilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2014, 08:12 AM   #2231
jocampo
Layback feline
jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 2nd gen, Sony DPTS1, iPad Pro 10.5"
Quote:

I do buy mine from BB because if I find issues next day or week or if I'm not satisfied with screen's quality (happened with My PW1) I just walk by and exchange it.

But I think 3G versions are hard to find in BB. At least, in the ones close to home.

Amazon support will be the same so if you have a BB that sell them I would buy it there instead.
jocampo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2014, 12:51 PM   #2232
Joykins
Wizard
Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle Oasis 2018, kindle 4 NT, kindle PW2, iPhone, iPad mini
Quote:
I bought a Kindle from Best Buy and I don't think there is any difference except maybe in the kind of extended warranty they try to sell you? Also it may be more convenient to return it to the store in case of an immediate problem than mail it back.
Joykins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2014, 02:10 PM   #2233
ProfCrash
Tea Enthusiast
ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle1, Kindle DX Graphite, K3 3G, IPad 3, PW2
Amazon makes it really easy to return a broken Kindle. They overnight you a new Kindle, you send back the broken one in the box your new one came it usign the label that they ship to you in the box. It is really easy.
ProfCrash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2014, 12:49 PM   #2234
Barty
doofus
Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kindle Voyage
A bit off topic, but I don't know if this warrants starting a new thread. Someone I know got a PW2 from amazon and the product barcode sticker on the box has a letter R in the tree (of the boy under tree logo). That means refurbished, right? She says the unit looks new, fwiw.

I compared with my box and there is no R. Mine was definitely new.
Barty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2014, 09:12 PM   #2235
fratermus
e-bookworm
fratermus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fratermus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fratermus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fratermus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fratermus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fratermus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fratermus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fratermus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fratermus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fratermus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fratermus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW2, K3, KF2, Touch (dying)
Got mine two weeks ago to replace an unstable Touch. My first impressions:

Booted it up and there was a brilliant white dot in the black part of the bootscreen. Like a bright star in a black sky. I guess this is what folks call a 'pinhole'. It was not bothersome later at normal viewing light levels. IIRC the PW2 was set at max brightness at first bootup, compounding the problem.

Pop-up footnotes are nice although the old style link didn't bother me. The PW2 is noticeably quicker than the Touch.

The lighting is quite nice although a bit uneven. At low levels (like 6 when I read in the dark) the bottom left corner is shadowed a bit. When I look down into it the LED in that corner is noticeably dimmer. The color (hue?) is even, though.

I am fond of the grayer screens, so my main concern about the paperwhite was that it could be too white and annoy my peepers. This has not been a problem. The characters look like a deep gray rather than black so maybe this reduces the contrast to useful levels for me.

I'm not particularly picky about screens for myself. I am a bit concerned that the bright pinhole would reduce the resale value if I decide to trade up to something else in the future.
fratermus is offline   Reply With Quote