Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 07-11-2017, 11:56 PM   #2206
coplate
Guru
coplate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.coplate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.coplate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.coplate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.coplate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.coplate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.coplate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.coplate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.coplate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.coplate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.coplate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: prs-505, Kindle Keyboard 3g, PW3
It is possible to set the unsupported model numbers in the kindletool-v1.6.4.97-mingw at least.

To create a package with one, you have to run
Code:
set KT_WITH_UNKNOWN_DEVCODES=1
before running the create command.

293 and 294 are the device ID for pw32GB

I'm not sure what other arguments are needed to repackage the hotfix correctly, which is currently a packakge of type FC03.

These commands would repackage the hotfix with type FD04.
Code:
set KT_WITH_UNKNOWN_DEVCODES=1
kindletool.exe convert Update_jailbreak_hotfix_1.14.N_install.bin
kindletool.exe create ota2 -d 293 -d 294 Update_jailbreak_hotfix_1.14.N_install_converted.tar.gz Update_jailbreak_hotfix_1.14.PW32_install.bin

Last edited by coplate; 07-11-2017 at 11:59 PM.
coplate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2017, 09:25 AM   #2207
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: No K1, PW2, KV, KOA
Quote:
Originally Posted by coplate View Post
It is possible to set the unsupported model numbers in the kindletool-v1.6.4.97-mingw at least.
- - - -
That feature is not specific to any system build, it is a 'standard' feature of KindleTool.
Entering just:
KindleTool
without arguments will present its documentation.

Its purpose for being there is testing before changing the source and to 'hotfix' a required package.
Such as that given in the example above.

But those PW3-32 devices are not available in the USA or France - so there is no way we can test the result.

- - - - -

It the web page of the trade-in special deal there is a checkbox for a PW3-64.
But there is no way to tell if that is a typo or a leaked new model description.
Rather pessimistic of Amazon to provide a way to trade them in before they are released for sale.
knc1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-12-2017, 03:04 PM   #2208
cobalt420
cobalt420 began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 3
Kindle paperwhite3 downgrade/hack

Good afternoon.
Theres a lot of back and forth old information on this page - I just want to be sure i'm able to downgrade and jailbreak now OR if i need to wait until a later time.

I have a paperwhite 3 that I received today - Wifi 4G no ads. Serial begins with "G090KB" running software 5.8.9.0.1
If yes could you kindly post a link to nudge me in the right direction.

Please advise and forgive me if i have missed any clues that might have been buried in the many (many) previous posts.

Thanks!
cobalt420 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2017, 03:36 PM   #2209
kevin335200
kevin335200 began at the beginning.

Device: KPW 32g white
Quote:
Originally Posted by knc1 View Post
That feature is not specific to any system build, it is a 'standard' feature of KindleTool.
Entering just:
KindleTool
without arguments will present its documentation.

Its purpose for being there is testing before changing the source and to 'hotfix' a required package.
Such as that given in the example above.

But those PW3-32 devices are not available in the USA or France - so there is no way we can test the result.

- - - - -

It the web page of the trade-in special deal there is a checkbox for a PW3-64.
But there is no way to tell if that is a typo or a leaked new model description.
Rather pessimistic of Amazon to provide a way to trade them in before they are released for sale.
I'm now in Germany and let my friend who comes back to China to bring the PW3-32 for me in August. On prime day the pw3 costed also only 69 Euro in Germany but i bought the 32g model from Japan just because of the lower price and storage.
Transfer the kindle from Japan to China is quick and cheap. It costs about 5 USD transfer fee and 11.9% tax, in total 20 USD, about 1 week. Because too many salesman also buy it and sell in China, Amazon may cancel the Order. Hopefully i'm lucky
I think it's just a matter of time for Amazon to sell the new 32g model or larger in other country. Of course if you want one now you can also buy one from Japan or China and send it to USA, only a matter of high transfer fee and time when you don't have a friend to bring it.
kevin335200 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2017, 04:21 PM   #2210
Cinisajoy
Just a Yellow Smiley.
Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K4, K5, fire, kobo, galaxy
Quote:
Originally Posted by cobalt420 View Post
Good afternoon.
Theres a lot of back and forth old information on this page - I just want to be sure i'm able to downgrade and jailbreak now OR if i need to wait until a later time.

I have a paperwhite 3 that I received today - Wifi 4G no ads. Serial begins with "G090KB" running software 5.8.9.0.1

Please advise and forgive me if i have missed any clues that might have been buried in the many (many) previous posts.

Thanks!
Please try. Let us know if you get an error message or are successful.
Country of Origin also.
We are getting reports that the jailbreak works on the firmware you have.
Cinisajoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-12-2017, 05:38 PM   #2211
coplate
Guru
coplate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.coplate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.coplate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.coplate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.coplate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.coplate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.coplate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.coplate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.coplate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.coplate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.coplate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: prs-505, Kindle Keyboard 3g, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by cobalt420 View Post
Good afternoon.

Thanks!
First thing is to put it on airplane mode - or do not connect to wifi - so it does not try to update to 5.8.9.2.

If this is a brand new kindle that you got with that version, there has been at least one report where a user has downgraded from that, but I do not expect that to work if your device does a wifi update.

Your device is a PW3W form the wiki. I *think* that the PW3 image in step 3 would work for you, but I cannot recall for sure.

Can you confirm if it came with that version fresh out of the box?

In the first post are numbered steps, you can try following 1-4, and using the pw3 5.7.4 image, though I am not 100% sure that works on the pw3w devices.

Consider putting it in airplane mode and let us look through older posts trying to confirm some things.

Last edited by coplate; 07-12-2017 at 05:41 PM.
coplate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2017, 05:56 PM   #2212
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

That is the correct image, it does not care what color the case is.

We would like the build id (the numbers in parans after the version) also.

You can also install the blocker directory described in Step. #7 before you start.
Old 07-13-2017, 04:46 PM   #2213
internal
internal began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle PaperWhite 2
Just double checking to see if I have missed anything.

I have a Kindle Paperwhite 2 (2nd Gen 2013, 2GB, Wi-Fi, 6in DP75SDI).

Its been on a charger, (stupidly) with WiFi on and is now on FW 5.8.9.2 (3179290002).

Is there any chance this can be Jailbroken or downgraded?

Thanks
internal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2017, 05:08 PM   #2214
Cinisajoy
Just a Yellow Smiley.
Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K4, K5, fire, kobo, galaxy
Quote:
Originally Posted by internal View Post
Just double checking to see if I have missed anything.

I have a Kindle Paperwhite 2 (2nd Gen 2013, 2GB, Wi-Fi, 6in DP75SDI).

Its been on a charger, (stupidly) with WiFi on and is now on FW 5.8.9.2 (3179290002).

Is there any chance this can be Jailbroken or downgraded?

Thanks
At the moment the answer is NO.
Cinisajoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2017, 08:41 AM   #2215
Karnivour
Karnivour began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Glo, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cinisajoy View Post
At the moment the answer is NO.
Hi, I bought 2 PW3 last week. One was instantly upgraded to 5.8.9.2 yesterday. The other one was shipped with 5.8.9.0.1 and has no connection to my wifi. Is there any chance to jailbreak 5.8.9.0.1?

Right now I am using a kobo glo and would send both PW3 back to amazon if there is no way in showing the bookcover while its in standby.

What are the chances that there will be a jailbreak for the 5.8.9.X versions?

Karnivour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2017, 09:17 AM   #2216
knc1
Going Viral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karnivour View Post
Hi, I bought 2 PW3 last week. One was instantly upgraded to 5.8.9.2 yesterday. The other one was shipped with 5.8.9.0.1 and has no connection to my wifi. Is there any chance to jailbreak 5.8.9.0.1?

Right now I am using a kobo glo and would send both PW3 back to amazon if there is no way in showing the bookcover while its in standby.

What are the chances that there will be a jailbreak for the 5.8.9.X versions?

5.8.9.0.1 is a defiant maybe.
Please post its build ID (the numbers in the parans following the version number).
Also the country of the store from which it was purchased.

Check its serial number in our serial number table (using the first six characters):
https://wiki.mobileread.com/wiki/Kindle_Serial_Numbers

Is your model listed in the first column?
If it is, does the last column say: "Supported" or "Support added ..."?
If both are true - read next:

- - - -

Install the 'blocker directory name' described in the jail break Step #7 first.
Then start at the top of the directions and follow them.

What to expect:
The installation of the 'factory initial' firmware will work, and so will the rest of the instructions.
OR
The 'factory initial' firmware package will just disappear, and not work.

Report back on your results, including that build ID number.
Old 07-14-2017, 09:53 AM   #2217
Karnivour
Karnivour began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Glo, PW3
Hi knc1,

thank you for your quick reply.

build ID: 3175970011
Purchased: online Amazon Germany
Serial Check: PW3W [Support added in KindleTool 1.6.5]
blocker directory installed

Quote:
What to expect:
The installation of the 'factory initial' firmware will work, and so will the rest of the instructions.
OR
The 'factory initial' firmware package will just disappear, and not work.

Report back on your results, including that build ID number.
Ok, I have not tried the factory initial yet, since I need to get rid of the special ads first. The amazon support has removed the ads already but i will have to connect the device to the internet. So the blocker folder will prevent the PW3 to auto update itself?

Once the ads are gone I am going to try to install the factory_PW3_5.7.4_initial right?
Karnivour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2017, 11:13 AM   #2218
CitizenOfTheGala
CitizenOfTheGala began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
Kindle Voyage just arrived. I turned it on, and a screen came up that says I have to turn on wifi and register first. Will this make it start updating and render me unable to jailbreak? Is there a way to bypass it?

edit: I restarted it and the main screen came up, I moved the tar file over, and nothing happens when I do ;installHtml. The firmware version in settings says 5.8.9.0.1

Last edited by CitizenOfTheGala; 07-14-2017 at 11:22 AM. Reason: more info
CitizenOfTheGala is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2017, 11:16 AM   #2219
knc1
Going Viral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karnivour View Post
Hi knc1,

thank you for your quick reply.

build ID: 3175970011
Purchased: online Amazon Germany
Serial Check: PW3W [Support added in KindleTool 1.6.5]
blocker directory installed

Ok, I have not tried the factory initial yet, since I need to get rid of the special ads first. The amazon support has removed the ads already but i will have to connect the device to the internet. So the blocker folder will prevent the PW3 to auto update itself?

Once the ads are gone I am going to try to install the factory_PW3_5.7.4_initial right?
If the blocker directory 'works' is dependent on the firmware currently running.
We don't know if it will prevent an update on the version you have, because no one has tried it and reported back to us.
You get to be that person.

Now the firmware version you are running has only been previously reported on Kindles shipped from Amazon(Mexico).
So now we can add: Amazon(Germany).
{Our wiki serial number table is going to need a half-dozen or more new columns, I think.}

The full story on the 'ad removal' -
With S.O. ads enabled, the start-up process will pause giving you time enough to read the ads and will not continue until you 'swipe' at the screen.

The system does not export the visible USB storage area seen over a USB cable until past that 'show ad' stage (just in case you buy something then, it must have access to that area).

If the device's start-up process hangs, you will never have to chance to 'swipe out' away from the ads.

Which means the 'hung' system will never export USB storage.
Which means you can't put the 'rescue me' trigger filename on USB storage.
Which means: "Hello serial port".

But we have never had a PW3 hang on 5.7.4-factory (which is now in the tens of thousands of devices).
Disclaimer: Past successes do not guarantee future outcome.
(Just like a law firm or investment scam.)

So removing ads before you start is up to you.

We have had two (2!) reports of the current jail break process working on the firmware version you are running.
(those built in Mexico).

Last edited by knc1; 07-14-2017 at 11:19 AM.
Old 07-14-2017, 11:24 AM   #2220
knc1
Going Viral

Quote:
Originally Posted by CitizenOfTheGala View Post
Kindle Voyage just arrived. I turned it on, and a screen came up that says I have to turn on wifi and register first. Will this make it start updating and render me unable to jailbreak? Is there a way to bypass it?
It will force an update.

Yes, you can bypass it:
1) Turn on wifi
2) Wifi will scan for access points and present you with a list to choose from.
3) DO NOT choose from the list.
4) Examine the display carefully, there is a 'continue setup later' touch-point on it (often written in -1pt type).
Choose to 'continue later' (a whole lot later).

Now it will continue its start-up to the point where you can connect to its USB storage and put the 'blocker directory name' described in Step #7 at the top of visible USB storage.

**THEN** it should be safe to continue with the setup process.
-- and if it isn't, tell us so we can warn other people --