Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Deals and Resources (No Self-Promotion or Affiliate Links)

Notices

Old 06-10-2022, 12:16 PM   #2161
nprentiss
Connoisseur
nprentiss ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nprentiss ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nprentiss ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nprentiss ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nprentiss ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nprentiss ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nprentiss ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nprentiss ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nprentiss ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nprentiss ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nprentiss ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS505
Quote:
Originally Posted by ReadingManiac View Post
Couldn't find the beginning of this conversation but it's drawn my attention now. I've always been a fan of Hammer Horror and other Horror B-movies. Ed Wood is my hero!
Thanks ReadingManiac, Dr. Drib, and Zodwallop for your interest! The story is kind of a Charlie & the Chocolate Factory meets Henry James' The Aspern Papers, by way of Famous Monsters, ha! I got sidetracked from my Other Father series when I had this idea, and had to write it (having a cool cover designer doesn't hurt, either).
nprentiss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2022, 01:22 PM   #2162
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer
Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle: Oasis 3, Voyage WiFi; Kobo: Libra 2, Aura One
One can't go wrong with Ed Wood, jr. for outrageous sleaze and unintentional humor.

A splendid time is guaranteed for all, as two former mop-tops once said. (But actually only from JL.)
Dr. Drib is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-10-2022, 01:47 PM   #2163
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer
Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Alrighty! I can't take it anymore: I just put Life in a Haunted House, by Norman Prentiss, on my cell phone.

(Please note that I didn't say 'Horse', as this would cause a degree of intestinal distress to the animal, not to mention a feeling of irreality on my part.)
Old 06-10-2022, 03:54 PM   #2164
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar
ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Clara HD; Nook ST w/Glowlight, (2015) Glowlight Plus, Paperwhite 3
Quote:
Thank you!

Twilight Eyes is the one I've read. I had mixed feelings about it but stayed open to reading something else by him.
I've read a few Koontz books. Mostly I find his authorial voice annoying.

The better half told me my main problem is that I read the wrong Koontz books. They would recommend Strangers, Phantoms and Watchers.

As for me, I've read The Face of Fear, Darkfall, Intensity and Ticktock. I outright HATED Ticktock. The rest were okay.

Of those, I'd recommend Intensity, which was also made into an excellent miniseries. Sadly it is not widely available.

Incidentally, the French horror movie High Tension is a plagiarization of the first half of Intensity. Everything except for the terrible ending was lifted from Koontz. So much so that it spoiled the movie for me. I got angry watching it.

Last edited by ZodWallop; 06-10-2022 at 03:58 PM.
ZodWallop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2022, 12:24 AM   #2165
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar
ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Vampire on the Orient Express by Shane Carrow is $0.99 at Amazon US.

Sounds like an old Hammer film. Earlier this year I read Hell Train that was also reminiscent of Hammer horror.

Quote:
Paris, 1914. American adventurer Sam Carter boards the Orient Express, departing France in style after an impulsive decision to desert the Foreign Legion. British diplomat Lucas Avery is already nursing a drink in the smoking car, resenting his assignment to the distant Ottoman Empire. Neither man expects anything more from the next three days and three thousand miles than rich food, expensive champagne and fine cigars.

But something dangerous is lurking aboard the train, hiding in plain sight among French aristocrats and German businessmen. Through fire and darkness, through blood and ice, the Orient Express is bearing an ancient evil across the continent - and not all its passengers will live to see Constantinople...
Advert
Old 06-13-2022, 02:03 PM   #2166
Paperbackstash
Wizard
Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 3, PW 3, 4, 5, Fire HD 2012, Fire HD 8 (8th Gen)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZodWallop View Post
Vampire on the Orient Express by Shane Carrow is $0.99 at Amazon US.

Sounds like an old Hammer film. Earlier this year I read Hell Train that was also reminiscent of Hammer horror.
I read it last year - it's a fun book.
Paperbackstash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2022, 08:01 AM   #2167
ReadingManiac
Genre Jumper
ReadingManiac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ReadingManiac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ReadingManiac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ReadingManiac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ReadingManiac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ReadingManiac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ReadingManiac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ReadingManiac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ReadingManiac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ReadingManiac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ReadingManiac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle paperwhite
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Drib View Post
Alrighty! I can't take it anymore: I just put Life in a Haunted House, by Norman Prentiss, on my cell phone.
Haha! I've got it bookmarked. Do let us know what you think.
ReadingManiac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2022, 08:02 AM   #2168
ReadingManiac
Genre Jumper
ReadingManiac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ReadingManiac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ReadingManiac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ReadingManiac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ReadingManiac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ReadingManiac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ReadingManiac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ReadingManiac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ReadingManiac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ReadingManiac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ReadingManiac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle paperwhite
Quote:
I've read a few Koontz books. Mostly I find his authorial voice annoying.

The better half told me my main problem is that I read the wrong Koontz books. They would recommend Strangers, Phantoms and Watchers.

As for me, I've read The Face of Fear, Darkfall, Intensity and Ticktock. I outright HATED Ticktock. The rest were okay.

Of those, I'd recommend Intensity, which was also made into an excellent miniseries. Sadly it is not widely available.

Incidentally, the French horror movie High Tension is a plagiarization of the first half of Intensity. Everything except for the terrible ending was lifted from Koontz. So much so that it spoiled the movie for me. I got angry watching it.
Thanks. I'll sample some of these and see whose taste I agree with.
ReadingManiac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2022, 10:38 AM   #2169
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Haha! I've got it bookmarked. Do let us know what you think.

Will do. I just finished (for the second time over a period of intervening years) one of my favorite books: The Stories of Eva Luna, by Isabel Allende.

So now, I'm ready to start Mr. Prentiss's book, which looks like it's going to be a lot of fun.
Old 06-17-2022, 10:45 AM   #2170
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar

Cross post from the syfy thread:

The Midwich Cuckoos by John Wyndham is $1.99 at Amazon US.

Probably better known by its filmed title: Village of the Damned.

Quote:
What if the women of a sleepy English village all became simultaneously pregnant, and the children, once born, possessed supernatural—and possibly alien—powers?

A mysterious silver object appears in quiet, picture-perfect Midwich. A day later, the object is gone—and all the women in the village, they will come to learn, are now pregnant.

The resultant children of Midwich are shockingly, frighteningly other. Faced with these unfathomable and potentially unstoppable children, the question arises: What will humanity do when faced with the threat of the unknown?
Old 06-17-2022, 10:51 AM   #2171
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar

Awakened by James S. Murray with Darren Wearmouth is $1.99 at Amazon US. Monsters in the subway!

I thought I bought this last time it was on sale, but Amazon says NO.

Quote:
After years of waiting, New York's newest subway line is finally ready, an express train that connects the city with the burgeoning communities across the Hudson River. The shining jewel of this state-of-the-art line is a breathtaking visitors’ pavilion beneath the river. Major dignitaries, including New York City’s Mayor and the President of the United States, are in attendance for the inaugural run, as the first train slowly pulls in.

Under the station’s bright ceiling lights, the shiny silver cars gleam. But as the train comes closer into view, a far different scene becomes visible.

All the train’s cars are empty.

All the cars’ interiors are drenched in blood.

As chaos descends, all those in the pavilion scramble to get out. But the horror is only beginning. High levels of deadly methane fill the tunnels. The structure begins to flood. For those who don’t drown, choke or spark an explosion, another terrifying danger awaits—the thing that killed all those people on the train. It’s out there…and it’s coming.

There's something living beneath New York City, and it's not happy we've woken it up.
Old 06-18-2022, 12:48 PM   #2172
Kieran Seymour
Addict
Kieran Seymour ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kieran Seymour ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kieran Seymour ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kieran Seymour ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kieran Seymour ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kieran Seymour ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kieran Seymour ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kieran Seymour ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kieran Seymour ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kieran Seymour ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kieran Seymour ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch
One for UK readers.

The Living Dead by George A Romero and Daniel Kraus is currently down to 99p.

amazon.co.uk | Kobo

Quote:
It begins with one body. A pair of medical examiners find themselves facing a dead man who won't stay dead.

It spreads quickly. In a Midwestern trailer park, an African American teenage girl and a Muslim immigrant battle newly-risen friends and family.

On a US aircraft carrier, living sailors hide from dead ones while a fanatic preaches the gospel of a new religion of death.
At a cable news station, a surviving anchor keeps broadcasting, not knowing if anyone is watching, while his undead colleagues try to devour him.
In DC, an autistic federal employee charts the outbreak, preserving data for a future that may never come.
Everywhere, people are targeted by both the living and the dead.

We think we know how this story ends. We. Are. Wrong.
Kieran Seymour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2022, 08:00 PM   #2173
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kieran Seymour View Post
One for UK readers.

The Living Dead by George A Romero and Daniel Kraus is currently down to 99p.

amazon.co.uk | Kobo
That's a great deal! Should I get it or wait for it to go on sale in the US...
Old 06-19-2022, 04:39 AM   #2174
Kieran Seymour
Addict
Kieran Seymour ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kieran Seymour ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kieran Seymour ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kieran Seymour ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kieran Seymour ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kieran Seymour ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kieran Seymour ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kieran Seymour ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kieran Seymour ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kieran Seymour ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kieran Seymour ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch
Quote:
That's a great deal! Should I get it or wait for it to go on sale in the US...
Pretend it's Dawn of the Dead and be a good little consumer!
Kieran Seymour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2022, 01:01 PM   #2175
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar

This guy pointed me in the right direction.

I now have four UK books purchased via Kobo.