Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Plugins

Notices

Old 01-31-2021, 12:52 AM   #2116
ownedbycats
Custom User Title
ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra H2O, formerly Aura HD
Is there a way to disable the "there's nothing to update" dialogue when prompt-to-store is enabled?
ownedbycats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2021, 02:32 AM   #2117
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
Quote:
Originally Posted by ownedbycats View Post
Is there a way to disable the "there's nothing to update" dialogue when prompt-to-store is enabled?
Not at the moment. I should be able to add the option to not display again.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-31-2021, 11:12 PM   #2118
tgoold
tgoold began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Libre H2O
I'm having an issue with the backup, that just started a couple of days ago. I'm not sure exactly what to do about it.

Calibre version: 5.10 & 5.10.1
Plugin version: 2.12.3
Device: Kobo Libra H2O

Here's the message that I get from the details of why the backup failed:
Quote:
calibre, version 5.10.1 (darwin, embedded-python: True)
Failed to backup device database: Failed: Backing up Kobo device database

non-unique entry in index sqlite_autoindex_content_1
wrong # of entries in index content_bookid_index
wrong # of entries in index sqlite_autoindex_content_1

Traceback (most recent call last):
File "calibre/gui2/device.py", line 89, in run
File "calibre_plugins.koboutilities.jobs", line 200, in do_device_database_backup
raise Exception(check_result)
Exception:
When I run the database check, I get a similar message:
Quote:
Result of running 'PRAGMA integrity_check' on database on the Kobo device:

Any idea of what I should do to try to figure out where the problem is?

I did have a book that had two copies on the device, but I removed it and put back one copy, and when I reconnected the Kobo, it still said that it couldn't backup the database with the same error message. (Those messages were taken after I fixed the issue of the two copies on the Kobo.)

Help, please!

Thanks.

Last edited by tgoold; 01-31-2021 at 11:13 PM. Reason: Just added a thank you.
tgoold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2021, 12:48 AM   #2119
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tgoold View Post
I'm having an issue with the backup, that just started a couple of days ago. I'm not sure exactly what to do about it.

Calibre version: 5.10 & 5.10.1
Plugin version: 2.12.3
Device: Kobo Libra H2O

Here's the message that I get from the details of why the backup failed:

When I run the database check, I get a similar message:

Any idea of what I should do to try to figure out where the problem is?

I did have a book that had two copies on the device, but I removed it and put back one copy, and when I reconnected the Kobo, it still said that it couldn't backup the database with the same error message. (Those messages were taken after I fixed the issue of the two copies on the Kobo.)
Firstly, having multiple copies of the same book on Kobo devices doesn't matter. I do it all the time. The filepath is used to distinguish between them in the database and hence in the UI. I noticed last night that I had five copies of a book on one of my devices. One was probably an kepub version, but the others were files that I had renamed on the device while doing some testing.

Those messages say the database is corrupted. They are actually the same. The backup process does a check of the database as part to warn you of issues. And to make sure it doesn't save an invalid backup.

Those particular errors are probably not going to cause any real issues. But, they can be a precursor of more damage. Calibre and the device re probably accessing the database OK, but, it is possible that they aren't writing changes successfully. On the device, this would be noticed as book status not updating, or books being reimported. And this can be noticed especially after restarting the device.

The general fix for a corrupt database is to restore a recent backup of the database, or to sign out of the Kobo account on the device. With the latter, it will reload the sideloaded books, but, you will lose the reading status and annotations. But, with those particular errors, a compress of the database may fix it. The compress basically exports the data and reimports it to rebuild the database structures. Errors in the index will generally be fixed by this.
Old 02-01-2021, 06:56 PM   #2120
tgoold
tgoold began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Libre H2O
The combination of the two worked. Thanks!
tgoold is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-01-2021, 10:22 PM   #2121
ownedbycats
Custom User Title
ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidfor View Post
Not at the moment. I should be able to add the option to not display again.
That would be appreciate.
Old 02-01-2021, 10:56 PM   #2122
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by NiLuJe View Post
I don't think I've ever added a toggle for that, yeah. From what I recall of the code, it'd be mostly trivial, but that'd be yet another toggle in the driver .

EDIT: Well, there'd be a few layers of parameter passing involved, but ultimately, the letterboxing comes from here, and is hard-coded to black.
I had a look at doing this last night, and annoyingly, there are two uses of parameters call "bgcolor". The one that is currently passed in is used for transparency. And the one used for the letter/pillor-boxing is hard-coded to black. I think I have to add "letterbox_color" or something like that. I might add the other bgcolor so it is available when someone asks (and because I already added it before noticing the usage ).
Old 02-03-2021, 03:08 PM   #2123
ownedbycats
Custom User Title

now I am wondering: Does Kobo support transparency on PNG covers?
Old 02-03-2021, 03:10 PM   #2124
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
now I am wondering: Does Kobo support transparency on PNG covers?
Try it and let us know.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2021, 03:55 PM   #2125
ownedbycats
Custom User Title

Unfortunately, I have no covers to test it with.
Old 02-03-2021, 04:10 PM   #2126
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Libra Colour, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Quote:
Unfortunately, I have no covers to test it with.
Download a png with transparency from the internet and give it a try. Experimenting can be fun.
DNSB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2021, 05:19 PM   #2127
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Originally Posted by DNSB View Post
Download a png with transparency from the internet and give it a try. Experimenting can be fun.

Sometime I wonder why folk don't try (or at least ask: "see any problem doing 'X")

We will jump down someones throat if what they suggest (without big CAUTIONS) would do damage to either the Library or a device.
MR has 0 tolerance for malicious deeds.
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2021, 05:24 PM   #2128
ownedbycats
Custom User Title

I did start a test, but Calibre converted my transparent png to a solid white jpeg and I'm not sure how to upload the cover manually.
Old 02-03-2021, 05:49 PM   #2129
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
I did start a test, but Calibre converted my transparent png to a solid white jpeg and I'm not sure how to upload the cover manually.
If it is IN an EPUB. U(pack) it, copy the image file, coverpage, THEN Abort the unpack
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2021, 07:34 PM   #2130
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
The cover sending in the plugin just gets the driver to generate and send the cover. And the actual cover generation is part of calibre and has something in it to handle transparency. I was thinking it was setting the colour to black, but, I might have the colour codes swapped in my brain. There is some use of '#000000' and '#FFFFFF', and I'd have to check where each was again. Not using the driver to send the cover, or the plugin to send it, would let the device generate it from the book. I have no idea what would happen if the book had a cover with transparency in it you can see how the device handles it. And you would need to try both epubs and kepubs as they the covers are handled differently.

If you want to do this manually, the plugin has an option to open the directory where the cover is for a book on the device. Just replace what is there with either a JPG or a PNG of exactly the same name. Don't worry to much about getting the sizes correct. The device will stretch them as needed.

But, the first question would be: What would transparency mean in this case? There isn't anything behind the cover, so it will just be whatever Kobo has set as the default colour. Which is probably white.

Edit: For some reason, when I was replying, I forgot what the thread was and was thinking it was a question in the Kobo forum.

Last edited by davidfor; 02-03-2021 at 07:52 PM.

Tags
calibre, kobo, kobo utilities, kobo-utilities, plugins