Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Android Devices

Notices

Old 05-26-2021, 09:55 AM   #196
tracey1
Addict
tracey1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tracey1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tracey1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tracey1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tracey1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tracey1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tracey1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tracey1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tracey1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tracey1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tracey1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by underscore View Post

- b/w is good enough for my google maps use (reach a destination in town)
Does this equally hold true for going by foot/bike/car ?

Since you mentioned travelling, I assume b&w would be good enough for that as well ?

Last edited by tracey1; 05-26-2021 at 07:40 PM.
tracey1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2021, 07:40 PM   #197
tracey1
Addict
tracey1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tracey1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tracey1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tracey1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tracey1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tracey1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tracey1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tracey1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tracey1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tracey1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tracey1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Do you guys think Hisense will continue to make E-ink phones in the future ?
Advert
Old 05-26-2021, 09:54 PM   #198
Question Mark
Wizard
Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: More than I need, but not as many as I would like.
Quote:
Originally Posted by tracey1 View Post
Do you guys think Hisense will continue to make E-ink phones in the future ?
I would be surprised if they didn't. My A5 Pro CC received an update not long ago. They have come out with a number of successful phones so they obviously have a department set up fo such devices unlike Onyx which has toyed with the idea of an eink phone, but not really followed through with it.

However, the question is what kind of new phone will they release? Their recent releases were much too big for my liking. I worry that they might continue this trend. I would rather that they came out with a device smaller than the A5, but that unfortunately doesn't seem to be the trend in phones these days.
Question Mark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2021, 02:22 AM   #199
underscore
Addict
underscore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.underscore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.underscore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.underscore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.underscore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.underscore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.underscore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.underscore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.underscore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.underscore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.underscore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Onyx Boox Nova 2, Kingrow K1 (former N96 ML/i86ML Plus/M92)
Quote:
Does this equally hold true for going by foot/bike/car ?

Since you mentioned travelling, I assume b&w would be good enough for that as well ?
No, i was refering strictly to urban walking / have google maps suggest the best bus to take to reach street x, number y.
And even there is acceptable, not great.

For leisure trekking I wouldn't said it suits, i think colour is needed there, to distinguish a mountain path from a torrent or to interpret level curves
underscore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2021, 05:26 PM   #200
tracey1
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Question Mark View Post
I would be surprised if they didn't. My A5 Pro CC received an update not long ago. They have come out with a number of successful phones so they obviously have a department set up fo such devices unlike Onyx which has toyed with the idea of an eink phone, but not really followed through with it.

However, the question is what kind of new phone will they release? Their recent releases were much too big for my liking. I worry that they might continue this trend. I would rather that they came out with a device smaller than the A5, but that unfortunately doesn't seem to be the trend in phones these days.
I think they should keep producing single E-ink phones as well as dual ones. Other than that create matte displays, improve their color-e ink and find a way to make access to Google play services easier.

Btw : Do you know whether one can attach an external keyboard and mouse to hisense phones and if they have the typical Android "do not disturb" option?

And do you mind sharing the name of the shop on Aliexpress that provided you with a bad experience and how much you had to pay to set everything right ?

Last edited by tracey1; 05-30-2021 at 05:55 PM.
Advert
Old 05-30-2021, 06:35 PM   #201
tracey1
Addict

In this review, between, between 27:50 and 28:30, the reviewer says that the A5 sometimes automatically kills apps like whatsapp to save battery which can lead to missing messages. Is this accurate ?

blob:https://www.youtube.com/de2b0f18-70c...a-112a85c4e2da
Old 05-30-2021, 08:31 PM   #202
Question Mark
Wizard
Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
I think they should keep producing single E-ink phones as well as dual ones.
Am not a fan of the dual screen devices. Used the A2 Pro for a brief while, then gave it to my wife when the A5 came out.

Quote:
Btw : Do you know whether one can attach an external keyboard and mouse to hisense phones and if they have the typical Android "do not disturb" option?
I haven't tried an external keyboard with it, but I don't see why that wouldn't work. I have used external BT keyboards with my various Boox devices without any problems. Have never used a mouse with any eink device so I don't know if that would also work.

As for the "DO Not Disturb" option, it is there and it works.

Quote:
And do you mind sharing the name of the shop on Aliexpress that provided you with a bad experience and how much you had to pay to set everything right ?
The store I had the bad experience at was Shenzhen JTWX Store. However, they no longer seem to be in business. I suspect that they just changed their name due to some negative reviews and complaints to Aliexpress from customers.

It didn't cost me a penny to get my money back. However, it did take a long time and I had to write a good number of emails etc. It was a very frustrating process.
Old 06-04-2021, 11:04 AM   #203
tracey1
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Question Mark View Post

The store I had the bad experience at was Shenzhen JTWX Store. However, they no longer seem to be in business. I suspect that they just changed their name due to some negative reviews and complaints to Aliexpress from customers.

It didn't cost me a penny to get my money back. However, it did take a long time and I had to write a good number of emails etc. It was a very frustrating process.
There's a shop called Shenzhen Frank. Wonder if it's the same.

In your opinion or experience : Does it matter if the shop has a high number of good reviews ? I've read an article about things to watch out on aliexpress and some of the key points mentioned were to look out for good reviews, number of phones sold and how long the shop has existed. If it has existed for many years, it will probably be of a serious shop. So I wonder if one by checking off these marks, one could mitigate the risk.
Old 06-04-2021, 11:41 AM   #204
Question Mark
Wizard

Quote:
There's a shop called Shenzhen Frank. Wonder if it's the same.
Don't think so as I actually bought my Hisense A2 Pro from Shenzhen Frank without any issues. Unfortunately, they didn't have the A5 or the A5 Pro CC at the time that I was looking for those phones. That's why I went to the Cect Shop.
Old 06-06-2021, 02:46 PM   #205
kindle72
kindle72 began at the beginning.

Device: A7CC
Quote:
In this review, between, between 27:50 and 28:30, the reviewer says that the A5 sometimes automatically kills apps like whatsapp to save battery which can lead to missing messages. Is this accurate ?

blob:https://www.youtube.com/de2b0f18-70c...a-112a85c4e2da
Battery -> Power saving management -> Battery optimization -> turn off on your preferred app
Battery -> Power saving management -> Memory intelligent cleaning -> turn on on your preferred app

App and permission management -> Self-running management -> turn on on your preferred app

I don't use Whats App, but I never have a problem with my preferred apps that should run in the background.
kindle72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2021, 02:50 PM   #206
kindle72
kindle72 began at the beginning.

Device: A7CC
Quote:
Btw : Do you know whether one can attach an external keyboard and mouse to hisense phones
On my A7CC an external keyboard and mouse works without problems.
kindle72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2021, 07:39 AM   #207
underscore
Addict
underscore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.underscore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.underscore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.underscore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.underscore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.underscore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.underscore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.underscore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.underscore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.underscore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.underscore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Would be cool to see a smaller sized hisense (somewhere around 5 inches, which is already BIG for a phone)
Old 06-29-2021, 01:07 PM   #208
Question Mark
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by underscore View Post
Would be cool to see a smaller sized hisense (somewhere around 5 inches, which is already BIG for a phone)
I quite agree.
Old 07-05-2021, 03:31 AM   #209
underscore
Addict

Have you managed to find for those phones a good application for recording a gps track that does not depend on google ?
I'd like to record mountains trips, also for late picture geotagging purposes
Old 07-07-2021, 05:05 PM   #210
tracey1
Addict

I have encountered some issues with my Hisense A5 and I wonder if it's the same with anybody else here or with other hisense phones

1. After using it for a day, my eye strain has been stronger than it has been in a long time using an LCD. This is really odd and it made me think why this is. Maybe it was the frontlight randomly turning on at a high brightness that caused this. Maybe it was the resolution or flashing. Anyway, I think it's the matte screen protector lying over the rims of the phone, they seem to turn blue, especially in broad daylight. Either that or the stark contrast between the E-ink screen and the (sometimes blue) rims of the screen protector lying over the black metallic/plastic part of the phone. This is the part of the protector that turns blueish in daylight(see photo). I could either get another one and cut it accordingly so it doesn't cover the rims of my phone or find a non-transparent material to cover the rims of my phone. Anybody has an idea, some kind of black tape maybe?

https://i.ibb.co/L5RQhpB/eink.jpg

I think this kind of bumper would solve my issue but I can't find a similar one for the A5, only A6/L.
https://i.ibb.co/9gr6zmZ/eink4.jpg

2. When turning on the camera, the front light becomes automatically activated. If somebody knows how to turn this off, I'd be grateful.

3. The frontlight sometimes randomly turns on despite me disabling it which can be annoying. You can choose between having it "off", adjust it manually or auto. I turned it off. Sometimes for example when unlocking the phone, the light randomly turns on. Maybe someone has an idea on how to fix this.

4. There is slight flickering when playing a video. Do you Hisense users experience this, too ? This is not as dramatic though.

Appreciate the help.

Last edited by tracey1; 07-07-2021 at 05:22 PM.