Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 07-12-2012, 05:05 AM   #196
plib
Guru
plib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.plib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.plib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.plib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.plib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.plib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.plib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.plib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.plib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.plib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.plib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch
I haven't updated yet, reading the guinea pig reports so far. However I do have a question about the shortlist functionality.

I use the shortlist to keep a few current books that I'm reading, the next two in the series for example but also quite importantly, to me, other content related to the book I'm reading, particularly maps. When they're saved as separate image files they can be zoomed and panned, which can't be done to the ones withing the epub. I've extracted maps from epubs or where available downloaded them from author sites and put them at the front of the shortlist. So when I'm reading the book and need to refer to a map it's just a quick trip to the home page and then select from the short list to view it.

I gather that's not the way the new home page works. Is there a way with the new system to access stuff like maps or other quick reference content with just one or two taps? If not, is there a chance it could be looked at in whatever fine tuning is planned for version 2.0? I wouldn't really mind what it's called shortlist/shelves/whatever as long as it retains the same quick access functionality.
plib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2012, 05:33 AM   #197
kiwipippa
Fanatic
kiwipippa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwipippa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwipippa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwipippa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwipippa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwipippa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwipippa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwipippa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwipippa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwipippa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwipippa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo glo, kobo touch (dead), kindle touch, android phone
I've just updated as well. All went well except now page turns on epubs MUCH slower than what they were, and slower than kepubs. Lots of my books are library books - epubs - so this is going to be really annoying. Why the backwards step?

We have 3 KT's in this house - it is happening on all of them.
kiwipippa is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-12-2012, 07:28 AM   #198
saiyuki
Enthusiast
saiyuki ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.saiyuki ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.saiyuki ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.saiyuki ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.saiyuki ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.saiyuki ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.saiyuki ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.saiyuki ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.saiyuki ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.saiyuki ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.saiyuki ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: binatone ReadMe, Kobo Touch, Scroll Extreme 2
All went well here. Finally got to upgrade from 1.14 which seemed the most agreeable of all the updates. One issue i did have was with the updated desktop. After syncing, the recommended books similar to what i read was all cookery. Considering the only books i have on my KT is the complete Malazan Book of the Fallen fantasy series, it did seem somewhat strange

Saiyuki
saiyuki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2012, 07:41 AM   #199
spindlegirl
Wizard
spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra h20, Paperwhite 2017, Phone & Tablet w Moonreader
Does anybody have a link to the zip file?
spindlegirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2012, 07:50 AM   #200
John F
Grand Sorcerer
John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo HD
Did the update, and I'm seeing the same things other people are:

Faster using menus, but slower when turning pages.

I can't really tell if dead taps has gotten any better (I still get a lot of them).

I'm still not sure if I like the changes in font handling. I noticed one interesting thing, in one font, some words were bolded when they should have been italicized, (this was with the standard installed fonts).
John F is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-12-2012, 08:14 AM   #201
the.Mtn.Man
Guru
the.Mtn.Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.the.Mtn.Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.the.Mtn.Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.the.Mtn.Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.the.Mtn.Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.the.Mtn.Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.the.Mtn.Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.the.Mtn.Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.the.Mtn.Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.the.Mtn.Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.the.Mtn.Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura
Quote:
Originally Posted by RickyB View Post
coming up to 30 minutes with the smiley kobo and five boxes cycling through after the update ... is this other people's experience?

edit: note another thread on slow updates https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=184495
My wife and I both updated our Kobo's yesterday, and it only took a few minutes each.

Last edited by the.Mtn.Man; 07-12-2012 at 08:38 AM.
the.Mtn.Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2012, 08:16 AM   #202
the.Mtn.Man
Guru
the.Mtn.Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.the.Mtn.Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.the.Mtn.Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.the.Mtn.Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.the.Mtn.Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.the.Mtn.Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.the.Mtn.Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.the.Mtn.Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.the.Mtn.Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.the.Mtn.Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.the.Mtn.Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura
Quote:
Originally Posted by plib View Post
I haven't updated yet, reading the guinea pig reports so far. However I do have a question about the shortlist functionality.

I use the shortlist to keep a few current books that I'm reading, the next two in the series for example but also quite importantly, to me, other content related to the book I'm reading, particularly maps. When they're saved as separate image files they can be zoomed and panned, which can't be done to the ones withing the epub. I've extracted maps from epubs or where available downloaded them from author sites and put them at the front of the shortlist. So when I'm reading the book and need to refer to a map it's just a quick trip to the home page and then select from the short list to view it.

I gather that's not the way the new home page works. Is there a way with the new system to access stuff like maps or other quick reference content with just one or two taps? If not, is there a chance it could be looked at in whatever fine tuning is planned for version 2.0? I wouldn't really mind what it's called shortlist/shelves/whatever as long as it retains the same quick access functionality.
No shortlist from the home screen, but it still shows your five most recently added or accessed books, so if you open the map file and then go back to the home screen, it'll be one of the five items displayed.
the.Mtn.Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2012, 09:20 AM   #203
TongueTied
Zealot
TongueTied has a certain pleonastic somethingTongueTied has a certain pleonastic somethingTongueTied has a certain pleonastic somethingTongueTied has a certain pleonastic somethingTongueTied has a certain pleonastic somethingTongueTied has a certain pleonastic somethingTongueTied has a certain pleonastic somethingTongueTied has a certain pleonastic somethingTongueTied has a certain pleonastic somethingTongueTied has a certain pleonastic somethingTongueTied has a certain pleonastic something

Device: Kobo Touch, Kobo Glo
Quote:
Originally Posted by RickyB View Post
coming up to 30 minutes with the smiley kobo and five boxes cycling through after the update ... is this other people's experience?

edit: note another thread on slow updates https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=184495
I left mine going overnight (plugged in so that it had power) and it is going on 23 hours now. Brick brick brick brick brick brick brick
TongueTied is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2012, 09:42 AM   #204
46jimbo
Zealot
46jimbo is at one with the great books of the world.46jimbo is at one with the great books of the world.46jimbo is at one with the great books of the world.46jimbo is at one with the great books of the world.46jimbo is at one with the great books of the world.46jimbo is at one with the great books of the world.46jimbo is at one with the great books of the world.46jimbo is at one with the great books of the world.46jimbo is at one with the great books of the world.46jimbo is at one with the great books of the world.46jimbo is at one with the great books of the world.

Device: Kobo Touch + Kobo Aura
Quote:
All went well except now page turns on epubs MUCH slower than what they were
Yes, I'm experiencing this too. However, I'm not getting dead taps or jumping ahead 2 pages as before. I guess this is the tradeoff.
46jimbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2012, 10:17 AM   #205
Lunchtray
Connoisseur
Lunchtray is my name, but call me Ishmael.Lunchtray is my name, but call me Ishmael.Lunchtray is my name, but call me Ishmael.Lunchtray is my name, but call me Ishmael.Lunchtray is my name, but call me Ishmael.Lunchtray is my name, but call me Ishmael.Lunchtray is my name, but call me Ishmael.Lunchtray is my name, but call me Ishmael.Lunchtray is my name, but call me Ishmael.Lunchtray is my name, but call me Ishmael.Lunchtray is my name, but call me Ishmael.

Device: Kobo Glo, Kobo Touch, Kobo Gen 1
I like what they've done with this update with the exception of the following:
The Clock
Epub page turns are now like 2x as slow/long (kepubs are 2x as fast it seems??)
The menu locations seem a little awkward but It's prob something to just get use to but they seem slower to load

Some people said logging out of your account and back in can fix stuff. I tried this to see if somehow that was affecting the slow page turns. It wasn't.

**Warning** What will happen is all your sideloaded epubs will be marked unread and all your reading stats will go away.

I'm somewhat annoyed that I lost my hours read stats but what's really worse is all my annotations/highlights are gone and I've had to manually mark everything as finished.

Then I noticed that marking stuff finished doesn't count in the reading stats so then had to open up around 100 books, skim to the end and close so they'd count properly.

Looks like I lost Juggernaut which I've had forever. Then I sync'd and got it back and lost the Witching Hour... the heck.

Last edited by Lunchtray; 07-12-2012 at 10:21 AM.
Lunchtray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2012, 11:07 AM   #206
MDK
Kobo Developer
MDK can program the VCR without an owner's manual.MDK can program the VCR without an owner's manual.MDK can program the VCR without an owner's manual.MDK can program the VCR without an owner's manual.MDK can program the VCR without an owner's manual.MDK can program the VCR without an owner's manual.MDK can program the VCR without an owner's manual.MDK can program the VCR without an owner's manual.MDK can program the VCR without an owner's manual.MDK can program the VCR without an owner's manual.MDK can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: Kobo Aura, Glo, Mini
Quote:
Originally Posted by GVC2031 View Post
2- Checking into Annotations, I notice that the bookmark set at Chapter 23 is identified as "Bookmark: 5302% into chapter". When in Sleep Mode the screen says 53% Read. Sloppy math, me thinks...
Please PM me the book and the location you set the dogear on, so we can investigate.

The annotation page shows chapter progress vs. the sleep screen showing book progress.
MDK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2012, 12:45 PM   #207
Jaden
Evangelist
Jaden ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jaden ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jaden ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jaden ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jaden ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jaden ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jaden ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jaden ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jaden ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jaden ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jaden ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
But there are all four font styles. Are you sure you are not doing something wrong?
Absolutely sure.

Quote:
Can someone else please test out the modified Charis SIL with Kobo firmware 2.0? I know for sure these work Sony Readers.
Linux Libertine didn't work with 1.9.17. So it could be that your modified Charis SIL version simply doesn't work with 2.0. It's a shame that you can use your own fonts but some just don't work...
Jaden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2012, 12:47 PM   #208
murg
No Comment
murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo: Not just an eReader, it's an adventure!
A possible explanation as to why the clock has been buried is that when it is on the reading page, it consumes resources to be able to update the reading page when the minute changes. On a buried page, it requires less resources.
murg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2012, 12:48 PM   #209
Jaden
Evangelist
Jaden ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jaden ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jaden ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jaden ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jaden ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jaden ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jaden ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jaden ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jaden ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jaden ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jaden ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rashkae View Post
I re-updated my Kobo by instlaling 1.9.17 first, then updating to 2.0. This did not resolve the sluggish page turn on epubs. However, it did restore the missing fonts. The 2.0 update is missing the Delima, Felbridge and Times New Roman fonts. If you want your kobo to have all it's font's intact (important since apparently user installed fonts aren't working correctly with Epub,) then you must first update to 1.9.17 before updaing to 2.0.
It's strange... I did a factory reset and installed 2.0 directly after that and I have Felbridge, Delima and Times New Roman on my Touch.
Old 07-12-2012, 12:51 PM   #210
Jaden
Evangelist

Quote:
Originally Posted by cyvros View Post
But now, the Kobo takes anywhere between 30 seconds and ten minutes to respond to touches. I'm not even exaggerating. I timed it when I went from the homescreen to the library. And again, six minutes to go back to the homescreen. Before, it was frozen for about seven minutes, so I held the power switch to reboot it.
It's also very, very slow for me - though not that slow.

But I could go and have a cup of coffee while waiting for a shelf to be created... (after typing in the name and hitting "next", that is).

And the page turning in ePubs is much slower now, too.