Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations > Book Clubs

Notices

View Poll Results: March 2010 Mobile Read Book Club Vote
Stiff: The Curious Lives of Human Cadavers? by Mary Roach 14 18.42%
The Omnivore's Delimma by Michael Pollan 2 2.63%
The Immortal Life of Henrietta Lacks by Rebecca Skloot 3 3.95%
Quirkology: How We Discover the Big Truths in Small Things by Richard Wiseman 10 13.16%
American Notes by Charles Dickens 7 9.21%
A People's History of the United States by Howard Zinn 8 10.53%
A History of Western Philosophy by Bertrand Russell 4 5.26%
The Devil in the White City: Murder, Magic, and Madness at the Fair that Changed America by Erik Larson 14 18.42%
The World Without Us by Alan Weisman 2 2.63%
On the Origin of Species by Charles Darwin 3 3.95%
The Stranger Beside Me by Anne Rule 3 3.95%
The Greek Myths by Robert Graves 6 7.89%
Voters: 76. You may not vote on this poll

Old 03-10-2010, 07:17 AM   #196
kennyc
The Dank Side of the Moon
kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle2; Kindle Fire
My Karma fortune is

"Kenny can read faster than his screen refreshes"

I only wish that were true!
kennyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2010, 09:01 AM   #197
WT Sharpe
Bah, humbug!
WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, iPad Pro, & a Samsung Galaxy S9.
Quote:
Originally Posted by pilotbob View Post
I'm shocked you are jumping on the not happy band wagon.

Really... perhaps you guys should run the book club without me. I'm really sick of this crap.

BOb
I must ask for your forgiveness, Bob. That was a bit harshly phrased, and I'm sorry; I should have never said I felt your decision was a "cop out". You made the decision you feel is best and I respect you for that. Other people are happy with it, and that's OK.

My own feeling is that the book club should have only one discussion and we should all be on the same page as to what book we should discuss. Neither of the two books that tied were books I would have preferred, but I would have gone along and read the clear winner in a run-off or a moderator decision.

No hard feelings on my part and I hope you'll accept my apology and understand why I chose to sit this month out.

Last edited by WT Sharpe; 03-10-2010 at 09:06 AM.
WT Sharpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-10-2010, 09:15 AM   #198
Zipr
Zealot
Zipr began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS505
I have no problems with how it is being handled this month. However, I think there should be clear rules on how this should be settled if it comes up again.

My understanding of a "book club" is that the entire group reads the book so that there will be plenty of discussion. If everybody goes off and reads their own book, then we are in the same situation as not have a book club at all. That's what all the other threads in this forum are all about.

You saw a lot of spirited cheering on of our favorite book this month because the underlying expectation was that, if it didn't win, we would have to read the other book. In other words, I was committed to whatever did win. Now, everybodys is running off and reading whatever they feel like.

Again, let me reiterate; I have no problems with the handling of this month's vote, mainly because there were no exisiting rule for ties. I do think this should be thought out though. I appreciate Pilotbob for running this and I appreciate all the members who will read the books and offer discussion points.
Zipr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2010, 10:10 AM   #199
lilac_jive
Grand Sorcerer
lilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud of

Device: PRS-505
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zipr View Post
I have no problems with how it is being handled this month. However, I think there should be clear rules on how this should be settled if it comes up again.

My understanding of a "book club" is that the entire group reads the book so that there will be plenty of discussion. If everybody goes off and reads their own book, then we are in the same situation as not have a book club at all. That's what all the other threads in this forum are all about.

You saw a lot of spirited cheering on of our favorite book this month because the underlying expectation was that, if it didn't win, we would have to read the other book. In other words, I was committed to whatever did win. Now, everybodys is running off and reading whatever they feel like.

Again, let me reiterate; I have no problems with the handling of this month's vote, mainly because there were no exisiting rule for ties. I do think this should be thought out though. I appreciate Pilotbob for running this and I appreciate all the members who will read the books and offer discussion points.
We've had multiple discussions in the past, where not everyone was happy with the result and formed their own discussion. But then next month, everything goes back to normal.

I am suprised however that people aren't participating in either book. I think those who aren't probably wouldn't have read the books anyway. But that's just fine. It's just a book club guys!
lilac_jive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2010, 10:18 AM   #200
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
I have no idea which book to read as I don't know which is the winning book.
JSWolf is online now   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-10-2010, 10:38 AM   #201
kennyc
The Dank Side of the Moon
kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle2; Kindle Fire
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
Start with the first one in the vote list.
kennyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2010, 11:45 AM   #202
lilac_jive
Grand Sorcerer
lilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
Flip a damn coin. They are both the winning books. Or don't participate.
Old 03-10-2010, 11:56 AM   #203
Sparrow
Wizard
Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Palm TX, CyBook Gen3
I will read 'Stiff' first, and then 'Devil' if I have time.

'Devil' seems like it might be of more interest to US readers; but I could be proved wrong (like I was about GWtW!).
Sparrow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2010, 12:01 PM   #204
lilac_jive
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sparrow View Post

'Devil' seems like it might be of more interest to US readers; but I could be proved wrong (like I was about GWtW!).
Hrmm, since it is based in the US, you might be right. It's been a few years since I've read it, but I do remember a good amount of history was in it, so those out of the US might now get full enjoyment. Maybe you should read it too and let us know if that's the case
Old 03-10-2010, 12:10 PM   #205
Sparrow
Wizard
Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Palm TX, CyBook Gen3
I will try.

I found 'Gone with the Wind' taught me a lot about the US Civil War, which added to its appeal. So ignorance needed be a hindrance.
Sparrow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2010, 12:11 PM   #206
Zipr
Zealot
Zipr began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS505
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sparrow View Post

Only in the sense that the story takes place in Chicago. This is more like entertainment than history. I've just started reading it and I find it very interesting reading about life in the late 1800's and the problems faced by architects.
Zipr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2010, 12:19 PM   #207
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
I guess which one I read will depend on which one I can get from the library first as an eBook or pBook.
JSWolf is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2010, 02:30 PM   #208
Ea
Wizard
Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3|iPad air|iPhone 4S
Quote:
Originally Posted by lilac_jive View Post
... I think those who aren't probably wouldn't have read the books anyway. ...
Not quite. I were going to to read it.

Ea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2010, 02:33 PM   #209
lilac_jive
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ea View Post
Not quite. I were going to to read it.

I have a feeling you are pointing out a grammatical error, but I can't see it
Old 03-10-2010, 02:36 PM   #210
Ea
Wizard
Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3|iPad air|iPhone 4S
Quote:
Originally Posted by lilac_jive View Post
I have a feeling you are pointing out a grammatical error, but I can't see it
I wasn't - no need to look further. That is; I am not reading the book of the month, but I were going to read it, if it was selected. Clear?
Ea is offline   Reply With Quote