Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 12-14-2011, 04:38 PM   #196
thomass
Wizard
thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 5.3.7
Quote:
Originally Posted by StreetGeek View Post
I dont see that. Where is that becuse the two Bins I tried failed.

Is it because I am on 3.3? Will Duokan not work on that?
could be. may try these:
first these update files:kindle3.2.1???.rar
if not succeed then try these with launchpad hack:3.2.1 launchpad duokan Installer.zip
thomass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2011, 05:42 PM   #197
StreetGeek
StreetGeek is just one insight away from self-actualization.StreetGeek is just one insight away from self-actualization.StreetGeek is just one insight away from self-actualization.StreetGeek is just one insight away from self-actualization.StreetGeek is just one insight away from self-actualization.StreetGeek is just one insight away from self-actualization.StreetGeek is just one insight away from self-actualization.StreetGeek is just one insight away from self-actualization.StreetGeek is just one insight away from self-actualization.StreetGeek is just one insight away from self-actualization.StreetGeek is just one insight away from self-actualization.

Device: KO3
Quote:
Originally Posted by thomass View Post
could be. may try these:
first these update files:Attachment 79955
if not succeed then try these with launchpad hack:Attachment 79956
Trying the update bins. I had never installed launch pad.. but if this update doesn't work that will be my next try. Thanks a million!

By the way, how do you like Duokan?

Edit-----

I just ran the launchpad hotkey.. how do I know it worked?

Do I just reboot now?

EDIT------

It worked!
TAHNKS Everyone who helped!

Last edited by StreetGeek; 12-14-2011 at 06:24 PM.
StreetGeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-16-2011, 10:23 PM   #198
jarhead
Enthusiast
jarhead began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 3 Wifi 3.2.1
Quote:
Originally Posted by StreetGeek View Post
Also I cannot connect to wifi... I put in the password correctly and it wont connect. At one point I even took off my password.
I just installed Duokan Lite and my WiFi stopped working. I am not sure if it stopped working immediately after the Duokan install. I may try uninstalling Duokan to see what happens.
jarhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2011, 08:08 PM   #199
jdechandia
jdechandia began at the beginning.

Device: kindle Keyboard
kindle update error u004

I have a Kindle Keyboard Ver 3.3 y try to install Doukan as follows:
1-Download Duokan_0_5_13_8942__2011_05_20_english
2-Extract all files and copy DK_Documents, Dk_Pictures and Dk_System in the Root of my Kindle.
3-Copy from directory 升级包 and subdirectory k3升级包update_duokan_0b008.bin file in the Root of my Kindle.
4-go to Menú / Settings / Menú / Update Your Kindle
and when try to update show
"unsuccessful update" and in the left bottom corner u004

I repeat this process a lot times but the error is the same.
I need Duokan because my books are .PDF and Kindle system is very difficult to read.
Could you help me?
jdechandia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2011, 07:27 AM   #200
Doitsu
Grand Sorcerer
Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW2
@jdechandia
For me installing an earlier version of Duokan Lite on my Kindle 3.3 worked. See this post. If you manage to install the earlier version, you can simply upgrade the installation by copying the latest DK_SYSTEM folder to the Kindle.
Doitsu is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-22-2011, 02:07 PM   #201
J.B.
J.B. began at the beginning.

Device: kindle 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdechandia View Post
I have a Kindle Keyboard Ver 3.3 y try to install Doukan as follows:
1-Download Duokan_0_5_13_8942__2011_05_20_english
2-Extract all files and copy DK_Documents, Dk_Pictures and Dk_System in the Root of my Kindle.
3-Copy from directory 升级包 and subdirectory k3升级包update_duokan_0b008.bin file in the Root of my Kindle.
4-go to Menú / Settings / Menú / Update Your Kindle
and when try to update show
"unsuccessful update" and in the left bottom corner u004

I repeat this process a lot times but the error is the same.
I need Duokan because my books are .PDF and Kindle system is very difficult to read.
Could you help me?
I had the exact same problem, with the help of this thread I managed to install non-lite Duokan to kindle FW 3.3. The required files can be found by google, to install the bin files use the "update your kindle" function:

-Install the jailbreak from "kindle-jailbreak-0.10.N.zip".
-Install launchpad from "lpad-pkg-001c.zip".
-Copy the three DK_... folders from duokan to kindle root.
-Copy duokan.ini from post #196 in this thread to launchpad folder on kindle and restart kindle
-Sequentially press: shift, f, d -> a success statement appears at the bottom of screen.
-Restart and the kindle should boot to duokan.
-If you have no further use for jailbreak and launchpad you can now uninstall them using the bins supplied in "kindle-jailbreak-0.10.N.zip" and "lpad-pkg-001c.zip".

Thanks to the guys who helped.

Last edited by J.B.; 12-22-2011 at 04:02 PM.
J.B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2012, 04:12 AM   #202
Janus12
Janus12 began at the beginning.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by netean View Post
I battled trying to install Duokan on my newly replaced Kindle (3.2.1) none of the binaries worked, tried the full duokan and last week's release of Duokan lite (which now supports epub as well I noticed)

In the end I discovered that you can SSH into the kindle using the usb networking hack and run a script to tell the kindle to run Duokan installer..
[ /mnt/us/DK_System/install/install.sh]
Despite being a geek, didn't really fancy the hassle of that so wrote my first launchpad script to do the same thing:

I say made, I actually completely copies the one that was made for the updated text to speech mod, so thanks to him in fairness.

Create a new text file, call it whatever you like.ini.. mine is duokan.ini

copy this into it

[Actions];; run Duokan installer F D = !sh /mnt/us/DK_System/install/install.sh &

save it in the launchpad folder, restart the kindle (I had to restart a couple of times)

Hit Shift F D

it *should* say success at the bottom of the screen. Restart the kindle from the main menu and, fingers crossed it should restart and reboot into Duokan.

Oddly, I noticed that doing so also mashed up my text to speech mod -may have just been me though?

So my kindle now has:

custom fonts,
custom screensavers
launchpad
fbreader
better Text to speech engine
Dictaphone mod, and
dual boots into Duokan.

won't say it wasn't all a massive fiddle, because it is, but I'm very happy now

If I can, happy to help anyone else.

Iain

sorry but This Does not work on my kindle v 3.2.1

i followed the instructions to the T - jailbreak went ok - lanchpad ok

after installing the ini file and restarting nothing happens trying restarting 10 times still nothing any suggestions would be good

tried everyway from this and many other ways making sure each time i removed jailbreak - factory reset so i was starting from a fresh platform - nothing i have tried and ive tried many works - cant understand why many 3.2.1 user can but i cant

jb did you do anything different than what i was ref clean start anything you may of changed

Last edited by Janus12; 01-29-2012 at 06:20 AM.
Janus12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2012, 05:21 AM   #203
Janus12

Quote:
Originally Posted by J.B. View Post
I had the exact same problem, with the help of this thread I managed to install non-lite Duokan to kindle FW 3.3. The required files can be found by google, to install the bin files use the "update your kindle" function:

-Install the jailbreak from "kindle-jailbreak-0.10.N.zip".
-Install launchpad from "lpad-pkg-001c.zip".
-Copy the three DK_... folders from duokan to kindle root.
-Copy duokan.ini from post #196 in this thread to launchpad folder on kindle and restart kindle
-Sequentially press: shift, f, d -> a success statement appears at the bottom of screen.
-Restart and the kindle should boot to duokan.
-If you have no further use for jailbreak and launchpad you can now uninstall them using the bins supplied in "kindle-jailbreak-0.10.N.zip" and "lpad-pkg-001c.zip".

Thanks to the guys who helped.

after installing the ini file and restarting nothing happens trying restarting 10 times still nothing any suggestions would be good

tried everyway from this and many other ways making sure each time i removed jailbreak - factory reset so i was starting from a fresh platform - nothing i have tried and ive tried many works - cant understand why many 3.2.1 user can but i cant

jb did you do anything different than what i was doing
ref clean start factory reset anything different anything you may of changed
Old 01-30-2012, 11:04 AM   #204
_temp_
_temp_ began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Keyboard
Quote:
Originally Posted by netean View Post
I battled trying to install Duokan on my newly replaced Kindle (3.2.1) none of the binaries worked, tried the full duokan and last week's release of Duokan lite (which now supports epub as well I noticed)

In the end I discovered that you can SSH into the kindle using the usb networking hack and run a script to tell the kindle to run Duokan installer..
[ /mnt/us/DK_System/install/install.sh]
Despite being a geek, didn't really fancy the hassle of that so wrote my first launchpad script to do the same thing:

I say made, I actually completely copies the one that was made for the updated text to speech mod, so thanks to him in fairness.

Create a new text file, call it whatever you like.ini.. mine is duokan.ini

copy this into it

[Actions];; run Duokan installer F D = !sh /mnt/us/DK_System/install/install.sh &

save it in the launchpad folder, restart the kindle (I had to restart a couple of times)

Hit Shift F D

it *should* say success at the bottom of the screen. Restart the kindle from the main menu and, fingers crossed it should restart and reboot into Duokan.

Oddly, I noticed that doing so also mashed up my text to speech mod -may have just been me though?

So my kindle now has:

custom fonts,
custom screensavers
launchpad
fbreader
better Text to speech engine
Dictaphone mod, and
dual boots into Duokan.

won't say it wasn't all a massive fiddle, because it is, but I'm very happy now

If I can, happy to help anyone else.

Iain

I can confirm it worked for me this way. After half a year of regular Kindle use (only jailbreak and launchpad, Cool Reader, dictaphone and some TTS mod) finally decided to install Duokan.

Kindle Keyboard 3g (US, with adverts), version 3.3 (updated from 3.2.1) - I was getting concerned that this version would not accept Duokan but it did.

Duokan is absolutely awesome, hats off to the developers, regular Kindle will be of use only for browsing (when in need for that) and for purchasing the Amazon content.

Thanks for the guidance!
_temp_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2012, 12:42 PM   #205
Janus12

Quote:
Originally Posted by _temp_ View Post
I can confirm it worked for me this way. After half a year of regular Kindle use (only jailbreak and launchpad, Cool Reader, dictaphone and some TTS mod) finally decided to install Duokan.

Kindle Keyboard 3g (US, with adverts), version 3.3 (updated from 3.2.1) - I was getting concerned that this version would not accept Duokan but it did.

Duokan is absolutely awesome, hats off to the developers, regular Kindle will be of use only for browsing (when in need for that) and for purchasing the Amazon content.

Thanks for the guidance!
so are you saying you couldnt install it on 3.2.1 like myself
Old 01-30-2012, 03:06 PM   #206
the337
the337 began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
Is the battery life on Duokan just as good as it is on the Kindle OS?
the337 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2012, 03:56 PM   #207
Serpentine
Evangelist
Serpentine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Serpentine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Serpentine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Serpentine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Serpentine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Serpentine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Serpentine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Serpentine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Serpentine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Serpentine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Serpentine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3
Yep - there was some bug in the last (2 weeks ago) release of Duokan which was not letting it sleep as much, but the latest release is pretty good in regards to speed and power use.
Serpentine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2012, 10:44 AM   #208
ibiza666
ibiza666 plays well with othersibiza666 plays well with othersibiza666 plays well with othersibiza666 plays well with othersibiza666 plays well with othersibiza666 plays well with othersibiza666 plays well with othersibiza666 plays well with othersibiza666 plays well with othersibiza666 plays well with othersibiza666 plays well with others

Device: Kindle Keyboard, Voyage, Tolino Vision HD3, PBTouch HD3
Hey there,

the FAQ says that I don't need a jailbreak to run duokan, but some guys in this thread say that they have to install a jailbreak and launchpad.

My question is, can I install Duokan "Duokan 2012 R1.1 Stable" without a Jailbreak?

---ibiza666
ibiza666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2012, 01:31 PM   #209
Janus12

Can anyone supply a good link to a english dictionary all the links on here seem dead

Last edited by Janus12; 02-02-2012 at 12:27 PM.
Old 02-03-2012, 10:29 AM   #210
J.B.
J.B. began at the beginning.

Device: kindle 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Janus12 View Post

jb did you do anything different than what i was doing
ref clean start factory reset anything different anything you may of changed
After pressing shift, f, d, did you get the success statement at the bottom of the screen?
J.B. is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
duokan, faq, kindle